FAO Sir Steve

226 posts
westongeezer

Re: FAO Sir Steve

by westongeezer » 12 May 2008 14:42

Scarface wrote:
Enjoy your "break from football" whilst we languish in the Championship you gutless tosser.

fickle , shallow , short sighted, must be a "BIG CLUB SUPPORTER" if indeed a supporter and not a armchair fan

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 May 2008 14:56

Steve Coppell and Reading FC embodied all that is great and good in English football during their collaboration so far. We showed the world the right way to do things with dignity and humility, honesty and determination.

Things went wrong this season, but thats happened before and Steve put together the greatest team we've ever seen and took us to heights we'd barely imagined afterwards.

Steve, please stay, leaving risks changing our club into just another team scrapping away in the football league. You are in a no lose situation, stay and turn us arund and gain promotion and become an even bigger hero, leave at the end of the season if you want. Stay and hold us steady, leave at the end of the season for your break with all our gratitude and respect. Stay and watch us drop towards another trapdoor and you can walk away at any point with our gratitude and respect to take your break.

Bye Steve.

Good luck, all the best and thanks very much, but I wish you'd stay.

It's the round thing

by It's the round thing » 12 May 2008 15:31

Football is never only a game; it's a metaphor for life. Because of your example, the fans, not to mention the players, whose paths you have crossed are now better prepared to deal with whatever of adversity or good fortune crosses their path. You have demonstrated true leadership on and off the pitch, not by throwing tantrums or otherwise drawing attention to yourself, but by staunchly speaking your truth. No one who has heard you speak could doubt your passion, but you have the strength of character to keep that passion in its place; it is always your servant, never your master. There are countless times that I've watched one of your interviews or read an article quoting you and found myself nodding my head and realizing yet again why I am a Reading supporter.

Bless you Sir Steve.

Royal Fleet

by Royal Fleet » 12 May 2008 15:35

New Article on the Official Site

which includes

Steve Coppell has met with our Director Of Football Nick Hammond today, and the manager will now take a few days to reflect on events.

My reading of this is that Coppell says he wants to go, but the club want him to consider for a few days. Expect a resignation by the end of the week.

Sad days indeed.

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 12 May 2008 15:55

Royal Fleet New Article on the Official Site

which includes

Steve Coppell has met with our Director Of Football Nick Hammond today, and the manager will now take a few days to reflect on events.

My reading of this is that Coppell says he wants to go, but the club want him to consider for a few days. Expect a resignation by the end of the week.

Sad days indeed.

Sadly I feel you are correct.

It was said on MOTD last night that we shall struggle if Steve goes. Remember a new manager will need time to buy in players to suit his style. It could well take several seasons to build a new successful team. If we want a quick return to the Premier League then Steve has to stay.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 12 May 2008 15:57

Official Site says he will take a few days to think it over. Mr Hammond, Madejski and the fans want him here. Let's voice it to the club. We have to show Steve we value him by telling him, not to hope he comes on HNA?

Do it boys, you know it's the right thing to do!

E-mail: customerservice@readingfc.co.uk

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 12 May 2008 16:08

Royal Fleet New Article on the Official Site

which includes

Sad days indeed.

I don't agree, as at the fans forum this is exactly what SSC said he would do - he said that he needed a few days quiet reflection before making his decision so this fits - it is just that NH has had some input first so lets hope that the messages of support via BBCRB can build on the positive reception he had at the fans forum and that we can persuade him to stay - it would be such a shame if he left on such a low note after all he has achieved.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 May 2008 16:10

CholseyRoyal It was said on MOTD last night that we shall struggle if Steve goes. Remember a new manager will need time to buy in players to suit his style. It could well take several seasons to build a new successful team. If we want a quick return to the Premier League then Steve has to stay.

MOTD also said we'd go down the year we stayed up and stay up the year we go down.

I really couldn't care less what they think, they prove week in week out they know very little about what really goes on outside their inner circle of clubs.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 May 2008 16:12

I had a lump in my throat at the final whistle yesterday, but if SSC goes, I shall weep buckets.

:cry: :cry:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 May 2008 16:14

im welling up just thinking it may happen

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 12 May 2008 16:17

Royal Lady I had a lump in my throat at the final whistle yesterday

And there was me thinking the Derby stewards had confiscated it.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 12 May 2008 16:18

Hoop Blah
CholseyRoyal It was said on MOTD last night that we shall struggle if Steve goes. Remember a new manager will need time to buy in players to suit his style. It could well take several seasons to build a new successful team. If we want a quick return to the Premier League then Steve has to stay.

MOTD also said we'd go down the year we stayed up and stay up the year we go down.

I really couldn't care less what they think, they prove week in week out they know very little about what really goes on outside their inner circle of clubs.

They also said throughout the season that we would be more than fine coping in the division :|

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 May 2008 16:25

I seriously don't think he will go. But I do think he may decide to change his coaching staff to freshen things up. (Parkinson and Murty perhaps.)

Suggestions made by some of our more despicable lunatic fringe that he is not up to the task of managing in the PL aside, I think that, after the dust settles, he will really rather fancy giving it another go away from the constant glare of publicity that he quite obviously does not relish.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 May 2008 16:26

Platypuss
Royal Lady I had a lump in my throat at the final whistle yesterday

And there was me thinking the Derby stewards had confiscated it.
LOL - that was funny seeing the steward carrying a large inflatable penis!! :lol:

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 12 May 2008 16:34

Royal Rother I seriously don't think he will go. But I do think he may decide to change his coaching staff to freshen things up. (Parkinson and Murty perhaps.)

Suggestions made by some of our more despicable lunatic fringe that he is not up to the task of managing in the PL aside, I think that, after the dust settles, he will really rather fancy giving it another go away from the constant glare of publicity that he quite obviously does not relish.

JM was saying sorry or something like that to Murtz this am on BBCRB, he asked if GM understood what he was saying it for? Was all somewhat weird, did anyone else listen to this interview at about 9.30 and wonder like I did?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 May 2008 16:35

biscuitsrus
Royal Rother I seriously don't think he will go. But I do think he may decide to change his coaching staff to freshen things up. (Parkinson and Murty perhaps.)

JM was saying sorry or something like that to Murtz this am on BBCRB, he asked if GM understood what he was saying it for? Was all somewhat weird, did anyone else listen to this interview at about 9.30 and wonder like I did?

yeah, apologised to him, saying "you know what for dont you graeme"
all very shady

wonder what that was

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 12 May 2008 16:38

brendywendy
biscuitsrus

yeah, apologised to him, saying "you know what for dont you graeme"
all very shady

wonder what that was

Probably something to do with his testamonial - like making him pay for the use of the stadium. :evil:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 May 2008 16:39

biscuitsrus JM was saying sorry or something like that to Murtz this am on BBCRB, he asked if GM understood what he was saying it for? Was all somewhat weird, did anyone else listen to this interview at about 9.30 and wonder like I did?

It was a slightly odd passage of conversation.

It was something along the lines of Madejski being sorry for whats happened, especially for Murty for some reason he didn't expand on. I guessed it might've been something to do with either Murty being dropped and not being involved towards the end (as I'd imagine that was pretty hard for Murts), or possibly that being relegated will have a significant effect on Murty's testimonial season/long term future at the club.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 12 May 2008 17:36

Why would you want a manager that ruined 4 years of great work, in 2 transfer windows, by sticking loyal and completely mis-judging his group of players. What then made it worse, is in January when all his mistakes were highlighted in black and white, he yet again failed to do anything. This man lost the plot this season and he is soley responsible for the relegation.

I thank him for getting to the Premiership, but history says this man is a bottler and I expect him to go and I hope it's soon. We need a fresh start, with fresh ideas and no loyalty to underachieving players. We still have the basis of a decent squad good enough to jump straight back, just not with a manager who thinks kebe and Oster are Premiership players.

We mustn't get clowded by what he achieved 2 years ago, it's this years achievement that I'm interested in.

Mark my words when I suggested in Aug we'd get relegated fans mocked, but when we're bottom 2 next year at Christmas YOU will be calling for Coppell's head.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 May 2008 17:39

That's as maybe Scarface, but calling him a gutless tosser is unwarranted and unnecessary in my eyes, particularly on a thread where the rest of us are paying tribute to him and wanting him to stay. :evil:

226 posts