Reading second favourites to win league

214 posts
royalsteve

Re: Reading second favourites to win league

by royalsteve » 22 May 2008 11:10

Royal Rother Very often they don't do as well as expected but if we can keep the nucleus of the team together then I think we'll be in a good position to challenge for Top 2.

People are majoring on the failure of last season too much - so many good things have happened in the last 3 years that are still in place and I don't think there is any reason to think we are on a downward spiral just because our Chairman he reiterated the prudent financial approach that has been the hallmark of his time here.

We are in a far far better position than we were 4 and 5 seasons ago when we just missed out on the play-offs - why on Earth would 2 seasons in the PL, better players (okay we have to keep them but I think we will in most cases), extra funds, improved facilities etc. mean anything else than a strong promotion push this coming season?

Pessimism (many would call it realism of course) has proved justified in the last few months, but if we are going to have a discussion about it before anyone knows what their squads are going to be, let's have a bit of realism when assessing next season.

agreed, though next season wont be easy as so many teams have a chance.....there arent many rubbish teams

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 22 May 2008 13:01

Royal Rother Very often they don't do as well as expected but if we can keep the nucleus of the team together then I think we'll be in a good position to challenge for Top 2.

People are majoring on the failure of last season too much - so many good things have happened in the last 3 years that are still in place and I don't think there is any reason to think we are on a downward spiral just because our Chairman he reiterated the prudent financial approach that has been the hallmark of his time here.

We are in a far far better position than we were 4 and 5 seasons ago when we just missed out on the play-offs - why on Earth would 2 seasons in the PL, better players (okay we have to keep them but I think we will in most cases), extra funds, improved facilities etc. mean anything else than a strong promotion push this coming season?

Pessimism (many would call it realism of course) has proved justified in the last few months, but if we are going to have a discussion about it before anyone knows what their squads are going to be, let's have a bit of realism when assessing next season.

I think it'd be naive to say anything until clubs have actually made moves in the market and you get an idea of what your squad looks like. All three clubs going down are keeping their managers which, imo, stands them in very good stead for the coming season.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 May 2008 17:05

Which is why we'll probably see some quite different odds coome August/September.

At the moment we are in one of the best positions to get promoted. Staying that way depends on who we release, who we sell, who we buy, squad confidence and how we start.

It's the same for everyone, but we start slightly ahead with a couple of others.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 23 May 2008 08:22

Ian Royal Which is why we'll probably see some quite different odds coome August/September.

At the moment we are in one of the best positions to get promoted. Staying that way depends on who we release, who we sell, who we buy, squad confidence and how we start.

It's the same for everyone, but we start slightly ahead with a couple of others.

Nail. Hit. Head.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 23 May 2008 10:01

papereyes All three clubs going down are keeping their managers which, imo, stands them in very good stead for the coming season.

Apart from Derby perhaps?

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 23 May 2008 13:24

One of the key things for us to succeed this season is that the players will need to remember HOW to play in the Chamionship. The style of football is very different to that of the Premier League.

Also, those of you waiting before you take a punt, don't be surprised when ALL those odds are shortened as the start of the season draws closer.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 23 May 2008 13:31

Rawlie19 One of the key things for us to succeed this season is that the players will need to remember HOW to play in the Championship. The style of football is very different to that of the Premier League.

Also, those of you waiting before you take a punt, don't be surprised when ALL those odds are shortened as the start of the season draws closer.

What exactly is the difference? Is it more aggressive? More long balls?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 23 May 2008 13:42

Sarah Star
Rawlie19 One of the key things for us to succeed this season is that the players will need to remember HOW to play in the Championship. The style of football is very different to that of the Premier League.

yes

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 23 May 2008 14:01

Sarah Star

yes

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 23 May 2008 14:05

Is that all?

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 23 May 2008 14:12

Sarah Star Is that all?

no

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 23 May 2008 14:13

Now you're just teasing me!

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 23 May 2008 14:16

:wink:

To name 2 others off the top of my head, multi-ball system (we used it to FULL effect in 05/06) and a different standard of ref. Commentators have been quick to point out decisions that they say would have been interpreted differently in the Prem.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 May 2008 14:41

We played less long balls in 2005/6 than 2007/8, that's for sure.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 23 May 2008 15:11

Quality!! That is the main difference.

The way Coppell likes to play is a knock back to his playing days and I for one used to love coppell on the wing back in the day - one of the best you are likely to see.

I think the increased quality of players in the prem stiffled our attempts to play football as we didnt get in half the amount of crosses last season as we have done previously and this obvoiusly limits our goal threats drastically.

Our wingers may not quite be prem class but they are certianly at the top end of Champ class and therefore we will have more crosses going in the box which will equal more goals.

Also the speed of both thought and foot in the prem is quicker and our players both got caught out by this and also couldnt take advantage of it.

Murts, shorey, Ivar done for pace
Sonks, Harper, Convey for thought, defensively.
Doyle and Kits couldnt take advantage of their inteligent footballing brains as prem players were just too switched on where as a lot of standard champ players would struggle against Kits, Doyle and hopefully Blakey in the brains (footballing sence only) department.

I really think (depending on the summer clearout) we should be a cut above 20 teams in the champ and still a fair bit above the other 3 as we still have the nucleous of the team that is the best second tier side in history.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 23 May 2008 15:58

I thought Coppell admitted to changing our method of play this season, through the middle rather than relying on using the wings and being too one dimensional. I seem to remember that being said

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 23 May 2008 16:14

Huntley & Palmer I thought Coppell admitted to changing our method of play this season, through the middle rather than relying on using the wings and being too one dimensional. I seem to remember that being said

Maybe that is true, but our strength do rely on good wing play and two big decent centre forwards a style of play that will be certianly to our advantage in the Champ

Richi Royal

by Richi Royal » 23 May 2008 16:36

Apart from the differences mentioned the biggest difference is there are alot of teams around the same level and while the premiership was very predicable with both results and who finished where, the CCC is full of average to good teams, there will be 10-12 teams eyeing up automatic promotion with the rest eying a mid table consolidation / sneaky play off place. I was speaking to a Norwich fan in Feb- March time and despite been 14th ish they had just got two good results on the bounce and suddenly they were anticipating a play off place, think to myself he was a bit of a dreamer, they were only 8 points off 6th place or something. In the finishing table there were only 7 points separating 5th and 12th. and only 6 points separating 22nd and 14th.
Anyway the point i am trying to make is, if the attitude is wrong at the beginning of the season then it is very easy to be dragged down to everyone else's level and then be involved in this tight battle. The season we were promoted we established our own way of playing football and added another dimension to our play, other teams could not adapt their very very average football (which we had been playing in previous seasons) to match ours and as a result were frequently turned over. The other difference is due to the fact the league is so tight having a match winner who can turns draws into victories propels you up the league. I think watford last (technically still this) season were a great example of this. They were 8 points clear at the top of the table earlier in the season and King had scored 11 goals going into January and they were still in automatic places. The speculation surrounding King started in January and he was sold at the end of the month. In the last 19 games they won 4 lost 4 and drew 11, not to mention been turned over in the play offs, which they scraped into on goal difference. How difference could their season had been if they had King who was scoring goals regularly in the side at the beginning of the season and is a match winner in the CCC, turning some of the draws into victories would have seen them challenging for automatic into the last weeks.
One decent player can turn an average side in to a challenging side (Preston with Nugent (for last season), Hull and Campbell, Watford and King, Cardiff with Ledley, Wolves with Ebanks-blake and Kightly, Sheff U and Beattie) all of these teams are very average with out the mentioned players (admittably the rest of the team need to be half decent to stop the opposition scoring) . Therefore by keeping Kitson/ Doyle/ Marek / Little and convey(if fit) will stand us in good stead for the CCC.

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 23 May 2008 16:38

Londinium, you're' absolutely right. RFC's recent success has been all about neat play down the flank. Full back to midfielder to winger to forward ... and goal. Not always a deep cross into the box. Just sharp passing, great movement and real understanding between the players.

If we can return to that then we'll go up no problems. But I fear it's a bit of an elusive formula, as much of last season showed. It also helps to have wide players who possess a lot of skill and good decision making. Let's hope Kebe's the man.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 23 May 2008 20:46

Mad Dog's Ghost Londinium, you're' absolutely right. RFC's recent success has been all about neat play down the flank. Full back to midfielder to winger to forward ... and goal. Not always a deep cross into the box. Just sharp passing, great movement and real understanding between the players.

If we can return to that then we'll go up no problems. But I fear it's a bit of an elusive formula, as much of last season showed. It also helps to have wide players who possess a lot of skill and good decision making. Let's hope Kebe's the man.

Or Henry

214 posts