Hunt dissapointed

260 posts
The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Hunt dissapointed

by The 17 Bus » 03 Sep 2008 10:00

No we should not have taken the money if offered, perhaps we should not have upped his salary at Jan, thats when i would have taken the money.

As for so many wanting to leave after relegation, well as has been said thats football, but as a RFC fan I would have put them all up for sale, see what offers came in, and I would do what Coppell seems to be doing and building a new hungry team.

I cant see Hunt or Doyle being here next season, even if they help us get back up again.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 03 Sep 2008 10:03

LOL @ this thread.

Reading is a small club that is a stepping stone for anyone with a hint of talent. Doubly so now we are back in the Championship. It is no surprise Hunt would have preferred to go to Everton, so would everyone when you compare the two clubs, it's chalk and cheese.

However I amslightly miffed that he went public with his view, a couple of years ago Hunt was a nobody, who had been released by Brentford and was heading to Bradford to play in League 2. Reading saved his career. In fairness he's worked hard and improved a lot to become one of our better players, and like Sidwell, Little, Shorey etc etc before him would not begrudge him a move to a better club. Shouldn't have said it publicly though, doesn't serve any purpose because we can't sell him now regardless.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Sep 2008 10:10

Southbank Old Boy I do take issue with his ideas that the club owe him a debt of gratitude for taking him on a free and saving him from a couple of seasons on a relative pittence sraping away with Bradford in League 1.

Thing is though, he has acknowledged in the recent past how much he owes Coppell and Reading for rescuing his career (or whatever phrase it was he used), so it does seem out of character to turn it completely on its head as he appears to have done.

I think that just underlines my belief that someone has been unsettling him.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 03 Sep 2008 10:13

Hunty is not the sharpest tool in the box and I expect, despite his ill judged comments, to give his usual 100% in every game he plays. He'll be off in January and, until then, that's all we can expect of the player.

I'm not sure I like football anymore after the last 48 hours.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Sep 2008 10:17

Royal With Cheese I'm not sure I like football anymore after the last 48 hours.

It does make the appeal of going to watch Windsor & Eton that much greater, I have to say.

22 honest blokes doing it for the love of the game. And you get to see Martin Williams strutting his stuff, a class above most others on the pitch.

Bucks Dave

by Bucks Dave » 03 Sep 2008 10:19

It's clear SC shares our disappointment at players' attitudes. At the Fans Forum he said he expected after relegation that players would see it as a challenge to make amends and get us back up again. Instead, 7 or 8 came to see him, all evidently feeling they were premiership material anyway, and wanted to leave if a good offer came in. Those who want SC to go should ask what any other manager would have done. I remember Marcus saying that the reaction on relegation from some players was not as gutted as he would have wanted and that if they thought they were good enough to go on elsewhere they should think about why we were relegated.

It's the modern game and to see some of our players are simply human and fallible like the rest of us can be a shock. Would I like £25000 per week and be playing my football with and against top class players, Yes. Would I show real loyalty to a good employer, take £10,000 a week less and play amongst lesser players? Now that's a hard one. Would I be able to always keep my mouth shut when frustrated - well, as a Hob Nobber what do you think?

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 03 Sep 2008 10:21

Royal Rother
Southbank Old Boy I do take issue with his ideas that the club owe him a debt of gratitude for taking him on a free and saving him from a couple of seasons on a relative pittence sraping away with Bradford in League 1.

Thing is though, he has acknowledged in the recent past how much he owes Coppell and Reading for rescuing his career (or whatever phrase it was he used), so it does seem out of character to turn it completely on its head as he appears to have done.

I think that just underlines my belief that someone has been unsettling him.

The powers that be at RFC by the sounds of it!

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 03 Sep 2008 11:25

"Honest blokes" and "Martin Williams in the same sentence?
Skittles still up to his old tricks?

Amongst the sheep

by Amongst the sheep » 03 Sep 2008 11:33

What I fail to see is what he hopes to gain by making this statement? We are talking of the fans player of the season here wanting out. He cannot move until January so what has he to gain? He can however lose a lot of goodwill that he has built up with the fans.

I have been impressed with his energy and application on the field and I feel we need the likes of Hunt, Doyle & Harper to add the experience to the young guns. As has been pointed out if the team had pulled their fingers out a bit more in the 2nd half of the season we wouldn't have gone down in the first place. You also would expect that they would want to play at the highest level, that is a given. What I would hope for is more of a determination to get back to the top with Reading instead of 'well lets get a transfer then'.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 03 Sep 2008 11:40

As I see it two players with much greater ability than Hunt in Shorey and Sidwell chose not to go public with their thoughts over a very long period.
When Shorey didn't get that last minute move to West Ham I don't recall him saying after an England call-up that he was disappointed not to get that move.
I don't blame Hunt wanting to move on but in expressing that wish he does imply that he doesn't expect Reading to get promotion-at least that is the way I read it.

Broadly I think players should keep their traps shut and enjoy their millions and not expect us to have an ounce of sympathy if they have to ply their trade with one company rather than another.

In the case of Hunt I would like to have seen him leave for £3.5 million except that we all know the club wouldn't have spent that sort of money on a replacement and regrettably his place in the side is almost guaranteed because of the only other option being Bobby-Kebe could of course be switched to the left but that would mean Henry getting a game and God Forbid that we might have 3 young players in the side from The academy as Coppell would probably have a coronary at the thought.

As others have already posted football at the professional level is grubby and fraught with greed but it probably also reflects the society that we now live in.

Richi Royal

by Richi Royal » 03 Sep 2008 11:43

But the club got me for free and it would have been nice to be rewarded.”

Is he taking the Piss???? ...IIRC he was about to sign with Bradford after been released by Brentford. Yes we got him for free, but we saved his career, gave him his oppertunity and if we hadn't he would IMO still be in league one earning a modest wage (in footballer terms).... I don't have a problem with him wanting to move to Everton because they are a big club and it would be a good oppertunity, but this comment is on par with sidwells comment about needing to feed his family. We owe Hunt NOTHING, we gave him his chance and now pay him an excessivly good wage. If anything he owes us something for the oppertunity and despite been payed a ridiculas salary at the back end of last season, played like a pile of shit. Why not just come out and say, .....Everton are a great club and the oppertunity to play there would be to good to turn down, i have enjoyed my time at reading, i am grateful for what they have done for me but these sort of oppertunities don't come along every day....if he said that i would have been happy for him to move on with my best wishes but instead he tried to make us feel sorry for him and make out he is hard done by...

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 03 Sep 2008 11:44

BR2 As I see it two players with much greater ability than Hunt in Shorey and Sidwell chose not to go public with their thoughts over a very long period.

Oh really? I seem to recall Sidwell saying after turning down a contract offer that he had to think about his wife and baby!

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Sep 2008 11:44

Amongst the sheep What I fail to see is what he hopes to gain by making this statement? We are talking of the fans player of the season here wanting out. He cannot move until January so what has he to gain? He can however lose a lot of goodwill that he has built up with the fans.

I have been impressed with his energy and application on the field and I feel we need the likes of Hunt, Doyle & Harper to add the experience to the young guns. As has been pointed out if the team had pulled their fingers out a bit more in the 2nd half of the season we wouldn't have gone down in the first place. You also would expect that they would want to play at the highest level, that is a given. What I would hope for is more of a determination to get back to the top with Reading instead of 'well lets get a transfer then'.

People are making it sound like he called a press conference to make a statement about how appallingly he's been treated.

He didn't . He was away on international duty and the Irish press asked him about the "Everton bid" and basically he just let out what he thought. Of course he'd have been better keeping schtum but i'd rather someone be upfront than sneaking around behind the scenes and the statement about knuckling down and proving his perceived worth is actually pretty encouraging.

And once again if anyone thinks there's an established player in the current squad that wouldn't think the same thing as Hunt then I'm afraid you're deluded. Modern Footballers are selfish overpaid prima donnas I'm afraid and Hunt is far from being the worst of them.

madmickb

by madmickb » 03 Sep 2008 11:56

So Hunt is dissapointed, After 45 years of watching Football i thought when we got promoted to the big time it would be the most exciting time of my life watching Man Utd Chelsea Arsenal and Liverpool during the first season i started to get dissapointed with all the so called star players like Ronaldo Drogba Rooney diving all over the place and the cheating is out of control like most of football the the stupid money that is being pumped into the game ( if that is what is a game) Fooball players cannot be liked to normal working class they sign a contract as does a company when taking a order the the company fulfills that order if halfway through that order they decide they have had enough you cannot just stop and go somwhere else because you can get more money you complete that contract or get sued, so i suggest to all those very rich dissapointed footballers finish your contract then f**k off

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 03 Sep 2008 11:59

madmickb So Hunt is dissapointed, After 45 years of watching Football i thought when we got promoted to the big time it would be the most exciting time of my life watching Man Utd Chelsea Arsenal and Liverpool during the first season i started to get dissapointed with all the so called star players like Ronaldo Drogba Rooney diving all over the place and the cheating is out of control like most of football the the stupid money that is being pumped into the game ( if that is what is a game) Fooball players cannot be liked to normal working class they sign a contract as does a company when taking a order the the company fulfills that order if halfway through that order they decide they have had enough you cannot just stop and go somwhere else because you can get more money you complete that contract or get sued, so i suggest to all those very rich dissapointed footballers finish your contract then f**k off

And breathe! :wink:

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 03 Sep 2008 12:02

Says you having finger trouble listening to Kirsty :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Sep 2008 12:02

Blatant Agent shenanigans going on here.

I trust Coppell to tell the truth much much more than I trust Hunt's agent to put him in the picture properly, and as we all know, Everton couldn't talk to Hunt unless we gave them permission (LOL). So he couldn't have got the information from them could he!

Hunt has been a very silly boy, but I think he's been manipulated by both media after a juicy story and his agent.

Happily I think we can trust that Hunt really will play his heart out for us to get back to the prem with us or to earn a move if we don't make it.

madmickb

by madmickb » 03 Sep 2008 12:07

Dirk Gently
madmickb So Hunt is dissapointed, After 45 years of watching Football i thought when we got promoted to the big time it would be the most exciting time of my life watching Man Utd Chelsea Arsenal and Liverpool during the first season i started to get dissapointed with all the so called star players like Ronaldo Drogba Rooney diving all over the place and the cheating is out of control like most of football the the stupid money that is being pumped into the game ( if that is what is a game) Fooball players cannot be liked to normal working class they sign a contract as does a company when taking a order the the company fulfills that order if halfway through that order they decide they have had enough you cannot just stop and go somwhere else because you can get more money you complete that contract or get sued, so i suggest to all those very rich dissapointed footballers finish your contract then f**k off

And breathe! :wink:

Sorry i had to right this in a hurry my boss came in the room

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 03 Sep 2008 12:09

To me this is purely a journo making a story out of virtually nothing.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 03 Sep 2008 12:23

Dirk Gently To me this is purely a journo making a story out of virtually nothing.

So says the counsel for the defence. :wink:
Players really do not have to speak to reporters (unless the poor hard up chaps need to top-up their miniscule salaries by a few bob)and we really don't want to hear their "honest" answers.
How would he feel if he was "honest" enough to say that he thought the manager is a twat and that his place is in no danger because Bobby is such a lightweight?
All of us have to bite our tongue from time to time and footballers should let their talking be done solely on the pitch.

260 posts