Back from the Game

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the Game

by Man Friday » 21 Sep 2008 20:21

earleyroyal The defence looked fairly solid from what I could see, Watford only had about 3 or 4 real chances. The goals didn't look too clever but we couldn't see much from the other end, apart from that I feel happy with our backline. Unfortunately that means no Bikey in midfield which is still our weakest area, and has been since May 2007.

'Taking the positives' we didn't lose (should've done), and showed we can out-pass teams rather than out-hoofing them. Rosenior/Kebe looks promising and the desire of the players can't be faulted. Still doesn't look like a promotion team though.

Disagree with 2 comments: They had 2 chances and scored them both. We shouldn't have lost - we should have had 3 penalties and an additional goal awarded. The referee greatly overcompensated and basically ensured that we couldn't win to save his blushes as much as he could.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 21 Sep 2008 21:08

Man Friday
earleyroyal The defence looked fairly solid from what I could see, Watford only had about 3 or 4 real chances. The goals didn't look too clever but we couldn't see much from the other end, apart from that I feel happy with our backline. Unfortunately that means no Bikey in midfield which is still our weakest area, and has been since May 2007.

'Taking the positives' we didn't lose (should've done), and showed we can out-pass teams rather than out-hoofing them. Rosenior/Kebe looks promising and the desire of the players can't be faulted. Still doesn't look like a promotion team though.

Disagree with 2 comments: They had 2 chances and scored them both. We shouldn't have lost - we should have had 3 penalties and an additional goal awarded. The referee greatly overcompensated and basically ensured that we couldn't win to save his blushes as much as he could.

I agree... I wonder if he saw sky sports at half time

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 22 Sep 2008 08:00

Another away game without a win and another away game where we effectively play with 9 men. I can't see us turning our away form around until Kebe and Harper are dropped and both have now put in 3 very poor peformances in a row, so deserve "resting".

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 22 Sep 2008 08:27

Scarface Another away game without a win and another away game where we effectively play with 9 men. I can't see us turning our away form around until Kebe and Harper are dropped and both have now put in 3 very poor peformances in a row, so deserve "resting".

Could you change the record please, this one is wearing out (not to mention being very boring).

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 22 Sep 2008 08:58

West Stand Man
Scarface Another away game without a win and another away game where we effectively play with 9 men. I can't see us turning our away form around until Kebe and Harper are dropped and both have now put in 3 very poor peformances in a row, so deserve "resting".

Could you change the record please, this one is wearing out (not to mention being very boring).

No, it's my genuine opinion, if you'd seen the last 3 games without RTG's on you could see these players aren't helping us, especially away from home. However if you're happy to go another season with pathetic away from, spending hard earned money watching absolute dog shite, then fine.

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 22 Sep 2008 11:03

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 22 Sep 2008 11:25

Excuse my ignorance, but why is the ref pointing to the centre circle at the end of the sequence or is he just suggesting play should continue? He is not pointing for a corner or a goal kick. The ball never went out of play after the pull back from NHunt.

At that time he wouldn't have been told it was a "goal" by his assistant or at least he hadn't discussed it. Had he decided for himself that it was a goal?

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 22 Sep 2008 11:42

CholseyRoyal Excuse my ignorance, but why is the ref pointing to the centre circle at the end of the sequence or is he just suggesting play should continue? He is not pointing for a corner or a goal kick. The ball never went out of play after the pull back from NHunt.

At that time he wouldn't have been told it was a "goal" by his assistant or at least he hadn't discussed it. Had he decided for himself that it was a goal?

I assume he thought the linesman had flagged for a goal kick

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Sep 2008 11:59

JC
CholseyRoyal Excuse my ignorance, but why is the ref pointing to the centre circle at the end of the sequence or is he just suggesting play should continue? He is not pointing for a corner or a goal kick. The ball never went out of play after the pull back from NHunt.

Surely you point to the goal in that case? Not the centre circle!!

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 22 Sep 2008 12:51

Good point. Plus, did the Watford defender handball it? And why is he appealing for a goal kick immediately when it clearly came off him?

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 22 Sep 2008 13:12

Royal Lady
JC

Surely you point to the goal in that case? Not the centre circle!!

Perhaps he thought the lino was flagging for offside then, which is not unlikely as Hunt hooked the ball back from on (or over?) the line. In that case he would point in the direction the free kick had been awarded.

Crowthorne Royal

by Crowthorne Royal » 22 Sep 2008 13:42

I think I must have been at Watford Town vs Reading Town? Because phrases like 'we played a good passing game' and 'plenty to look forward to' are so wide of the mark it's untrue.
I thought we were AWFUL.

The way we play away from home is absoltely abysmal. We don't seem to employ any tactics ? Lump the ball up the middle....and let's just see what happens OR Play some sideways passes in midfield and then get a winger to lump the ball in the middle for the dominant defence to head away. Doyle was slow all day (with no international excuse this week) N. Hunt tried hard but with little quality.

We fill me with no confidence whatsoever and we look little better than we did back in 2001/2 (I reiterate, away from home only).

The 2 goals we conceded were so sloppy it was embarrassing. For all Pearce's good work that 1 slip (for the 2nd) was crucial. Their first goal was a joke, with so many people trying to get the ball clear......unsuccessfully!!!

What I don't quite get is that whilst I may err on the negative side when watching Reading (being honest) I still don't get why most posters think we are world beaters ??

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 22 Sep 2008 13:55

We aren't world beaters and we aren't awful. We have a good chance of making the playoffs this year.

And Kebe had a great game Scarface - I was there.

Harper was poor though...

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 22 Sep 2008 19:37

JC

Perhaps he thought the lino was flagging for offside then, which is not unlikely as Hunt hooked the ball back from on (or over?) the line. In that case he would point in the direction the free kick had been awarded.

I noticed that too!! :? Offside is a different signal as well.. One arm raised with the other going from side to side across the line