Leave Shane alone.

166 posts
RFCMod

Re: Leave Shane alone.

by RFCMod » 08 Oct 2008 09:08

I think we said this after the Dagenham game
Trappatoni obviously has told him that if he wants to be a permanent part of the the Republic set up hes got to beef himself up a bit and not be afraid to have a go at defenders
I think hes definately living up to this and hes a different looking player than last season
The more he wants to get into the Republic set up permanently is better for us,especially if hes coming off the bench

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Oct 2008 10:52

agreed, hes looked a different player this season, in terms of size, and agrression
i just think he was trying too hard before th goal came, and putting too much pressure on himself, after coppells comments about needing to produce now, or he'll be off etc
now the goals come im hoping we will see a more relaxed shlong who may even push for that starting place-either way we have a 3rd choice striker who will always put in 100%, always put in a tackle, and never moan about being on the bench

love the kid, love his attitude, love his price tag.
and still scored one of the most amazing goals ive seen, albeit in a reserve game

Skyline

by Skyline » 08 Oct 2008 12:16

Two appearances from Long this season really epitomised him for me - Luton in the LC, and coming off the bench against Sheff Wed. If ever there were two games where he had a chance to really make an impact then those were the ones, but (apart from one good run and shot at the Luton keeper) he was largely anonymous in both games.

I asked before the season began how long we were going to keep regarding him as an 'up-and-coming' player. As has been pointed out, he's in his fourth season with us, but he's still just 'potential'.

What he really needs is to be loaned out to a (decent) League 1 side to learn the trade of being a footballer.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 08 Oct 2008 12:21

Skyline Two appearances from Long this season really epitomised him for me - Luton in the LC, and coming off the bench against Sheff Wed. If ever there were two games where he had a chance to really make an impact then those were the ones, but (apart from one good run and shot at the Luton keeper) he was largely anonymous in both games.

True, but as others have pointed out, he's been better since. Inconsistency is certainly an issue (and confidence), but I'm less concerned about his ability to control and pass a ball after Saturday's match, where he wasn't too shabby at either. I just wonder if he puts too much pressure on himself in the build-up to matches when he's in the starting line-up, he always seems so nervous. But he's a professional, so he needs to sort that out somehow if that is the case.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 08 Oct 2008 22:18

I wouldnt want us to sell Shane Long, but what I dont agree with is him starting any matches for the first team when Noel Hunt is a much better player.

Shane is much better when he comes on as a sub and the oppositions defenders are tired.

I also think that he might be becoming a bit too arrogant and lazy, he doesnt appear to be giving 100% at the moment.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 09 Oct 2008 08:18

look, he clearly is not world class, but the motivation behind the original post and a few other posters was "get off his back". Some of the stuff written about Shunt on here was unbelievably knee-jerk and pathetic a couple of months (er, weeks) ago. Now he is God's gift and Long gets the treatment.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 09 Oct 2008 08:31

LUX look, he clearly is not world class, but the motivation behind the original post and a few other posters was "get off his back". Some of the stuff written about Shunt on here was unbelievably knee-jerk and pathetic a couple of months (er, weeks) ago. Now he is God's gift and Long gets the treatment.

Am I allowed to be completely indifferent to Long? He's so inoffensive I can't be bothered to have an opinion either way.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Oct 2008 09:44

Basingstoke Royal I wouldnt want us to sell Shane Long, but what I dont agree with is him starting any matches for the first team when Noel Hunt is a much better player.

Shane is much better when he comes on as a sub and the oppositions defenders are tired.

I also think that he might be becoming a bit too arrogant and lazy, he doesnt appear to be giving 100% at the moment.

imo i think thats totally wrong
the kid gives 110% every game
and thats why coppell loves the bloke

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 09 Oct 2008 09:51

Derby - New Years day - the header that kept our unbeaten run going - for that reason alone I like him.

I Still call him bambi when he plays, and he does not fill me with excitement when playing from the start, but from the bench I like him.

As for being arrogant and not giving 100% - that is total gash and anyone who thinks that is either stupid or a total idiot or possibly both (if that is possible).

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 09 Oct 2008 11:57

He's starting for Ireland B tonight
http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 97,00.html

Lol at Noel Hunt withdrawing for 'head, shoulders and knee' injuries.

(I'm not laughing at Noel's injuries, it just sounds funny)

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 09 Oct 2008 12:03

Some oxf*rd will stamp on his foot to complete the set.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 09 Oct 2008 12:12

brendywendy
Basingstoke Royal I wouldnt want us to sell Shane Long, but what I dont agree with is him starting any matches for the first team when Noel Hunt is a much better player.

imo i think thats totally wrong
the kid gives 110% every game
and thats why coppell loves the bloke

Totally agree. He gives his all. I'm not sure if he's quite good enough though. Shame that Noel was injured. I think he would have been great for Ireland B...

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 09 Oct 2008 13:27

cmonurz
rg6royal He's scored us a few important goals tbh.

No, he hasn't, as I just showed.

Twice Long has come off the bench and scored points-winning goals.

Take off all Long's league goals since he joined Reading and we are only 5 points worse off in 3 and a bit seasons.

Add to that, didn't he come off the bench during a critical game last season and miss an absolute sitter?

I wouldn't slag him off and will support him fully when he's playing for us but, in my ignorance, would still prefer to see Lita in his place!

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 09 Oct 2008 16:12

brendywendy agreed, hes looked a different player this season, in terms of size, and agrression
i just think he was trying too hard before th goal came, and putting too much pressure on himself, after coppells comments about needing to produce now, or he'll be off etc
now the goals come im hoping we will see a more relaxed shlong who may even push for that starting place-either way we have a 3rd choice striker who will always put in 100%, always put in a tackle, and never moan about being on the bench

and still scored one of the most amazing goals ive seen, albeit in a reserve game

I'd love to see a video of this. :shock:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Oct 2008 16:14

a shot from the tightest possible angle from yards outside the penalty box, almost on the goal line
meant it aswell-looked up, no one near the goal, slammed it like a rocket into the net
Last edited by brendywendy on 09 Oct 2008 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 09 Oct 2008 16:17

He's got a chance to shine tonight in the Ireland B squad.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 09 Oct 2008 16:19

Sarah Star He's got a chance to shine tonight in the Ireland B squad.

Shine or sink. Glad to see you put the positive spin on it, though. :D

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 09 Oct 2008 16:26

Don't think he'll sink, but he's got a chance to fight his way off the subs bench.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 09 Oct 2008 16:29

brendywendy agreed, hes looked a different player this season, in terms of size, and agrression

It was in a cup game Brendy!!! How many times :roll: :wink:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Oct 2008 16:32

Bill Oddie's Beard

It was in a cup game Brendy!!! How many times :roll: :wink:

doh!

every flecking time
:oops:

i give in today

im not cut out for the interweb.

166 posts