Please give Henry a chance

141 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Please give Henry a chance

by Royal Rother » 09 Dec 2008 12:00

Negative_Jeff Not knowing much about Henry I have just gone through the whole of this thread to try to find out what sort of player he is and I am still none the wiser. So if anybody knows;
Is he quick?
Does he beat a man on the outside, inside or both?
Is he an outside to in winger(Joe Cole) or inside to out (Wright Phillips)?
Does he like taking the ball in tight situations (Glen Little) or needs to be in space?
Can he put in a shift up and down the line for ninety minutes (Stephen Hunt)?
Does he specialize in free kicks and corners?
Does he get to the line to cross or does he cross from deep with swerve?
Any aerial threat on the far post fo crosses from the left?

On the face of it, without knowing fitness levels etc, I believe the case for playing a proven quality international (Matejovsky) over the obvious desire to see the promotion of a home grown young talent (Henry) is compelling and if it requires a slight tweak in tactics then so be it. On the other hand if Henry plays and proves to tick lots of boxes from the above, I will hold my hands up.

Good post.

From what little I've seen of Henry he seems to be pretty quick and a fine crosser, but gets easily out-muscled.

Personally, I'd like to see MM start but will be perfectly happy to see Henry given a chance to show what he can do.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 09 Dec 2008 12:06

Royalwaster All those questions - are you the Blackpool assistant manager of what?

Just intrigued that so many want Henry to play without any reference as to what he might actually bring to the team.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Dec 2008 12:22

I would liken him to Beckham type player with a little more pace and ability to actually take his man on (in the reserves game a season or two ago he went past Ashley Cole quite easily a few times).

He's not a flying winger like Wright-Phillips, and his no Glenn Little when it comes to bamboozling two or three defenders with his dribbling ability. From what I've seen he's more than willing to put in his shift, but he's got more about his game than just hustle and bustle.

He's got that degree of arrogance and self belief about him that I think could help him make it.

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 09 Dec 2008 12:30

....and he can score some good goals from the corner edge of the box

1871royals

by 1871royals » 09 Dec 2008 12:32

I don’t understand how people can criticise Kebe’s final ball. Before this season Shunt crossing was terrible, but he has improved massively in this aspect proven by his high number of assists. Last season no one criticised Shunts final ball.
Kebe’s final ball isn’t brilliant. But he has still managed to set up a few goals this season, also this season is his first run of appearances in England, he needs to be given time to adapt. His raw pace troubles defenders and gives us on outlet to relieve pressure. IMO he is one of most exciting players.

Following on from SC ethos, possession is 9/10 of law I can’t believe so people want Henry to be given a chance just because he’s a youth player. Jem and Pearce had to earn their place; Henry has to do the same. If Kebe’s card is rescinded no chance should Henry be playing. Kebe has been doing a good job.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Dec 2008 12:37

1871royals I don’t understand how people can criticise Kebe’s final ball. Before this season Shunt crossing was terrible, but he has improved massively in this aspect proven by his high number of assists. Last season no one criticised Shunts final ball.
Kebe’s final ball isn’t brilliant. But he has still managed to set up a few goals this season, also this season is his first run of appearances in England, he needs to be given time to adapt. His raw pace troubles defenders and gives us on outlet to relieve pressure. IMO he is one of most exciting players.

Following on from SC ethos, possession is 9/10 of law I can’t believe so people want Henry to be given a chance just because he’s a youth player. Jem and Pearce had to earn their place; Henry has to do the same. If Kebe’s card is rescinded no chance should Henry be playing. Kebe has been doing a good job.

The discussion is around giving Henry a chance if Kebe is suspended.

As for Hunt's final ball, that's be criticised since he got in the side. It has improved though, as has Kebe's to be fair to him. He still looks the player least likely to be able able to control and pass a ball though.

Still Hate Futcher!

by Still Hate Futcher! » 09 Dec 2008 13:19

Hoop Blah As for Hunt's final ball, that's be criticised since he got in the side. It has improved though, as has Kebe's to be fair to him. He still looks the player least likely to be able able to control and pass a ball though.

Apart from that sublime pass for Cisse against Coventry and ditto to set up Doyle away at Cardiff to name just two in the last fortight. The number of assists Kebe's managed this season suggests there ain't a lot wrong with his passing and crossing. Now his finishing is a different matter!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Dec 2008 13:22

Still Hate Futcher!
Hoop Blah As for Hunt's final ball, that's be criticised since he got in the side. It has improved though, as has Kebe's to be fair to him. He still looks the player least likely to be able able to control and pass a ball though.

Apart from that sublime pass for Cisse against Coventry and ditto to set up Doyle away at Cardiff to name just two in the last fortight. The number of assists Kebe's managed this season suggests there ain't a lot wrong with his passing and crossing. Now his finishing is a different matter!

I think the point is that he looks the most likely to miss control and fall over. That doesn't mean he will, or when he does control he won't do something excellent with it.

Given he looks like a giraffe on crack/ bambi on ice I'd say it was fairly accurate.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Dec 2008 13:43

Still Hate Futcher!

That'll be the two assists that I think I've mentioned already in this very thread then right?

As I said before, I think he's done well to set up as many chances and goals as he has. He still doesn't fill me with any confidence though and he's not the type of player I like as for me most of the excitement he brings is in not knowing if he's going to get the ball into the box or shin it out for a throw on.

His pace means he gets into a lot of very good positions. If his passing and crossing was as good as some of the others then he'd be really dangerous....but it'd probably be for someone else paying him 3 times what we are!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Dec 2008 13:57

Hoop Blah ...most of the excitement he brings is in not knowing if he's going to get the ball into the box or shin it out for a throw on.

His pace means he gets into a lot of very good positions. If his passing and crossing was as good as some of the others then he'd be really dangerous....

That pretty accurately describes Michael Gilkes.

Y25

by Y25 » 09 Dec 2008 14:00

Now we know Kebe is definitely out I wouldn't mind Henry being given a chance - I will be surprised if he starts though - but Blackpool at home is as good as match as any to get him up and running

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 09 Dec 2008 14:01

Negative_Jeff Just intrigued that so many want Henry to play without any reference as to what he might actually bring to the team.

Well, for starters he would be a natural right winger which would mean not having to put square pegs into round holes, a Steve Coppell speciality.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 09 Dec 2008 14:03

Royal Rother
Hoop Blah ...most of the excitement he brings is in not knowing if he's going to get the ball into the box or shin it out for a throw on.

His pace means he gets into a lot of very good positions. If his passing and crossing was as good as some of the others then he'd be really dangerous....

True - but I also saw Gilksey score some class goals. It wasn't primarily what he was in the squad for but those goals did come in useful.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 09 Dec 2008 14:03

henry to score tonight

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Dec 2008 14:09

Royal With Cheese
Royal Rother

True - but I also saw Gilksey score some class goals. It wasn't primarily what he was in the squad for but those goals did come in useful.

Agree with both of you, although I'd still have to say that Gilkes was a much more rounded footballer with a better grasp of the basics than Kebe. I might have my RTG's but Gilkes could at least control the ball to start his punt and run attack on a full back....he'd still put 50% of his crosses beind the goal though bless him!

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 09 Dec 2008 14:14

S09Royal
bishbosh92 Well will no by tonight wont we!

if kebes red card is succesfully appealed he has to start Henry is nothing comapred to him and i gurantee will score less goals

Henry will get his chance

Cardiff away in the Cup

Don't underestimate Henry...he could well save our skin tonight if Kebe's appeal isn't overturned. :cry:
Saying that, i don't think he'd start ahead of Bryn or Marek. But that's just my POV and i hope Kebe is able to play for us tonight.
im sure Henry will be a good player and in are starting 11 in a year or 2!!

but i dnt think hes ready just yet, and unfortuntly kebes appealing has been unsuccesful so it will be him or convey.

Not sure who i prefer.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 09 Dec 2008 14:24

floyd__streete
Negative_Jeff Just intrigued that so many want Henry to play without any reference as to what he might actually bring to the team.

Well, for starters he would be a natural right winger which would mean not having to put square pegs into round holes, a Steve Coppell speciality.

You have well and truly done me there Floyd. Henry is a natural right winger so I suppose he will have to play. I bow to your superior knowledge!

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 09 Dec 2008 14:34

Negative_Jeff You have well and truly done me there Floyd. Henry is a natural right winger so I suppose he will have to play. I bow to your superior negativity!

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 09 Dec 2008 14:51

Can't see any point in not playing Henry.

Really don't think Marek has the pace to play on the wing. Our system works because of our wing players take people on and run their socks off. If Henry's crap tonight, then sure try something else. But although Henry is still young, it's time for him to step up and show us that he isn't just an over hyped youngster. Give him a chance.

East Stand Royal 500

by East Stand Royal 500 » 09 Dec 2008 15:18

Ian Royal
I think the point is that he looks the most likely to miss control and fall over. That doesn't mean he will, or when he does control he won't do something excellent with it.

Given he looks like a giraffe on crack/ bambi on ice I'd say it was fairly accurate.

Precisely - that's what makes Kebe difficult to play against. You think he's going to fall over all the time but more often than not he emerges from a stumble with the ball stuck to his boot.

If Henry does play tonight let's all get behind him and cheer him on whether we think he's the best choice or not. He may be arrogant and certainly will have a lot to learn but what 19-year-old isn't and doesn't?

141 posts