130 posts
Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Birmingham next week

by Winchester Royal » 15 Dec 2008 13:24

West Stand Man
winchester_royal
Ian Royal
And that fantastic insight is based on exactly how many performances in that role? He doesn't play there for the Czech Republic and he doesn't play there for us.

He's correct about the difference between right midfielders and right wingers. Unfortunately Coppell's system of 4-4-2 relies on attacking wingers. Hence why we were so awful last season and why we never really got anywhere relying on Hughes.

Marek is a central midfielder who would work in a 4-4-2 that was about creativity through the middle. Ours is completely set up to be creative down the flanks, with the middle distributing the ball wide quickly and hassling the opposition attacks. Marek is wasted in a team like that.

I think we could get away with playing Marek away against the poorer teams in the division when they may actually try and beat us, in theory it would give him the space to play his game. At home when they just flood the middle he isn't a great deal of use. Against the good teams, he just doesn't have enough defensive presence or quality to play in a midfield which also has defensively light weight wingers

Coppell won't switch to 3 or 5 in midfield this season, so Marek is currently not a great deal of use to us. IMO. Certainly not against a tough, dangerous Birmingham.

Where has this irrational hatred of Matejovsky come from IR?

Noel has been crap for a while now, I would consider bringing Mate in to a 4-4-1-1 formation myself.

Winchester Royal in 'irrational hatred' shock. Is this the same person who has a one sided opinion of players himself? Surely not?

What's that got to do with me?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 15 Dec 2008 13:44

Ian Royal
Winchester_royal in being a bit simple shocker more likely.

I don't have an irrational hatred of Marek. I think he's a very good player and I like him a lot. I was one of the most vocal about what a good signing he would probably become when we picked him up. I got quite a lot of stick off Tredder because of it. Sadly he has more flaws than I'd hoped at the time

There is a massive difference between irrational hatred and a considered opinion that a player is not right for our current system of play. If W_R actually looked at any of my choices for team each match he would see that on a regualr basis Marek makes an appearance. Just not in a 4-4-2 which is what we play.

But then he has his agenda that Marek is fantastic and Harper is shit and nothing else is relevant to him.

*Yawn*

So i'm a 'bit simple' because I don't agree with you?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 15 Dec 2008 13:45

West Stand Man
winchester_royal
Ian Royal
And that fantastic insight is based on exactly how many performances in that role? He doesn't play there for the Czech Republic and he doesn't play there for us.

He's correct about the difference between right midfielders and right wingers. Unfortunately Coppell's system of 4-4-2 relies on attacking wingers. Hence why we were so awful last season and why we never really got anywhere relying on Hughes.

Marek is a central midfielder who would work in a 4-4-2 that was about creativity through the middle. Ours is completely set up to be creative down the flanks, with the middle distributing the ball wide quickly and hassling the opposition attacks. Marek is wasted in a team like that.

I think we could get away with playing Marek away against the poorer teams in the division when they may actually try and beat us, in theory it would give him the space to play his game. At home when they just flood the middle he isn't a great deal of use. Against the good teams, he just doesn't have enough defensive presence or quality to play in a midfield which also has defensively light weight wingers

Coppell won't switch to 3 or 5 in midfield this season, so Marek is currently not a great deal of use to us. IMO. Certainly not against a tough, dangerous Birmingham.

Where has this irrational hatred of Matejovsky come from IR?

Noel has been crap for a while now, I would consider bringing Mate in to a 4-4-1-1 formation myself.

Winchester Royal in 'irrational hatred' shock. Is this the same person who has a one sided opinion of players himself? Surely not?

So who do I have one-sided opinions of?

East Stand Royal 500

by East Stand Royal 500 » 15 Dec 2008 13:52

SSC on the OS “I just thought Marek would be able to get the ball and play wide on the right but it never worked. And James [Henry] was like a firework exploding when he came on. He was obviously very determined to show me what he could do.”

I think that's clear enough evidence of Coppell's thinking. Marek will not start wide on the right on Saturday and Henry will. I'd like to see Marek playing behind Doyle in a 4-4-1-1 at some point but I don't think Coppell would risk playing anyone out of position against a top team like Birmingham and FWIW I wouldn't either.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 15 Dec 2008 17:35

The chances are that we will either play 4-4-2 with Henry in the right or else 4-5-1 with Hunt on the right and three central midfielders - and Henry on the bench in case needed or we want to change to 4-4-2 later.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Dec 2008 19:38

can i take this opportunity to downgrade my prediction from "top by xmas" to "2nd by xmas" please.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 15 Dec 2008 19:52

brendywendy can i take this opportunity to downgrade my prediction from "top by xmas" to "2nd by xmas" please.

Nope. :lol:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 15 Dec 2008 20:17

winchester_royal So i'm a 'bit simple' because I don't agree with you?

No. It's because you seem to think (and I use the term loosely) that a well-measured considered view is somehow an irrational opinion.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Dec 2008 20:19

SteveRoyal
brendywendy can i take this opportunity to downgrade my prediction from "top by xmas" to "2nd by xmas" please.

Nope. :lol:

arse

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 15 Dec 2008 20:46

Platypuss

No. It's because you seem to think (and I use the term loosely) that a well-measured considered view is somehow an irrational opinion.

Actually Platypuss if you actually read this forum then you would know that IR has been slagging off Marek for a while now. How anyone can judge his possible impact on only 2 appearances so far is beyond me.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 15 Dec 2008 20:49

:?:
The OS says he's played 19 times for the club.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 15 Dec 2008 20:52

rabidbee :?:
The OS says he's played 19 times for the club.

2 full appearances so far this season is what I meant.

HTH.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 15 Dec 2008 21:01

Oh. so his Premiership experience doesn't count?

Shame. That goal at Anfield was a corker. Now I can't get excited if he's on the edge of the D.

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 16 Dec 2008 19:03

From a blues fan on: http://brumsnumber1.ipbhost.com/index.p ... opic=26666

"December is a big month in the Championship, with 7 games in 28 days for Reading, and 6 each for Wolves and Blues.

When January arrives and the transfer window opens, the Championship will be well past its half-way mark.

What will the top of the table look like, I wonder?

Wolves

Sa 6: QPR (a) draw 1pt
Tu 9: Derby (h) win 3pt
Sa 13: Barnsley (h) draw 1pt
Sa 20: Doncaster (a) draw 1pt
Fr 26: Sh Utd (h) win 3pt
Su 28: Blackpool (a) win 3pt

12 Points

Blues

Sa 6: Watford (h) w 3pt
Tu 9: Plymouth (a) win 3pt
Sa 13: Preston (a) win 3pt
Sa 20: Reading (h) win 3pt
Fr 26: Ipswich (a) win 3pt
Su 28: Swansea (h) win 3pt

18 points

Reading

Mo 1: Coventry (h) d 1pt
Sa 6: Barnsley (a) lose
Tu 9: Blackpool (h) draw 1pt
Sa 13: Norwich (h) lose
Sa 20: Blues (a) Lose
Fr 26: Cardiff (h) win 3pt
Su 28: Southampton (a) draw 1pt

6 pts

Wolves 59 pts
Blues 59 pts
another 50pts
Reading 40 pts

You saw it here 1st!!!!"

:lol:
Intresting...isn't it :roll:

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 16 Dec 2008 19:17

winchester_royal
Platypuss

Actually Platypuss if you actually read this forum then you would know that IR has been slagging off Marek for a while now.

I don't think he's been slagging Marek off at all. The language is moderate and there's a reasonable argument behind it. Even if you don't agree with his views, you can surely accept that there's more than enough justification for them?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Dec 2008 19:23

S09Royal From a blues fan on: http://brumsnumber1.ipbhost.com/index.p ... opic=26666

Wolves

Sa 6: QPR (a) draw 1pt - lose
Tu 9: Derby (h) win 3pt - win 3 pts
Sa 13: Barnsley (h) draw 1pt - win 3pts

5 Points - 6pts

Blues

Sa 6: Watford (h) w 3pt - win 3pts
Tu 9: Plymouth (a) win 3pt - win 3pts
Sa 13: Preston (a) win 3pt - lose

9 points - 6pts

Reading

Mo 1: Coventry (h) d 1pt - win 3pts
Sa 6: Barnsley (a) lose - win 3pts
Tu 9: Blackpool (h) draw 1pt - win 3pts
Sa 13: Norwich (h) lose - 3 pts

2 pts - 12pts

Wow they couldn't have got it much more wrong so far if they'd tried!

LOL at predicting the 3rd place team to fail to win 4 games on the trot when 3 are at home and that team has won all but 1 home game that season!

3 out of 10 results is pretty poor. Shows we don't have a monopoly on idiot, know-nothing fans by any stretch of the imagination

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Dec 2008 19:29

papereyes
winchester_royal
Platypuss No. It's because you seem to think (and I use the term loosely) that a well-measured considered view is somehow an irrational opinion.

Actually Platypuss if you actually read this forum then you would know that IR has been slagging off Marek for a while now.

I don't think he's been slagging Marek off at all. The language is moderate and there's a reasonable argument behind it. Even if you don't agree with his views, you can surely accept that there's more than enough justification for them?

Thanks Paps and Platy.

The hilarious thing is he's claiming I have an irrational hatred and he isn't simple when I repeatedly state that I like Marek and that he could be a big player for us, if only we played a system he would fit into. Which we don't.

I'm also not so blinkered I can't see his faults, of which he has a few. So does the player I'd have in a 4-4-2 ahead of him. But he fits the system much better and gets unwarrented stick.

I have never said Marek is shit. Mainly because it's rubbish and I don't believe it to be true.

It's Winchester Royal I feel sorry for. He's actually quite intelligent and has educated opinions, but he's made to look stupid because people are likely to mistake him for Winchester_Royal who wouldn't recognise a considered opinion if you smashed him in the face with one.

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 16 Dec 2008 21:39

Ian Royal
S09Royal From a blues fan on: http://brumsnumber1.ipbhost.com/index.p ... opic=26666

Wolves

Sa 6: QPR (a) draw 1pt - lose
Tu 9: Derby (h) win 3pt - win 3 pts
Sa 13: Barnsley (h) draw 1pt - win 3pts

5 Points - 6pts

Blues

Sa 6: Watford (h) w 3pt - win 3pts
Tu 9: Plymouth (a) win 3pt - win 3pts
Sa 13: Preston (a) win 3pt - lose

9 points - 6pts

Reading

Mo 1: Coventry (h) d 1pt - win 3pts
Sa 6: Barnsley (a) lose - win 3pts
Tu 9: Blackpool (h) draw 1pt - win 3pts
Sa 13: Norwich (h) lose - 3 pts

2 pts - 12pts

Wow they couldn't have got it much more wrong so far if they'd tried!

LOL at predicting the 3rd place team to fail to win 4 games on the trot when 3 are at home and that team has won all but 1 home game that season!

3 out of 10 results is pretty poor. Shows we don't have a monopoly on idiot, know-nothing fans by any stretch of the imagination

They really had no idea! Because of this very bad prediction and the blues fan predicting that they'd win every game this month...and haven't done so (so far...and hopefully they won't win saturday neither!), predictions that any Brum fans make about this saturdays match need'nt bother :lol:

georgerob

by georgerob » 16 Dec 2008 22:22

i hope Dubberry loses his place to bikey if he is back for Birmingham as i think Doobs is a liability for us and doesn't possess none of the attributes bikey has obviously. Cisse and marek should get a go in cm as we need someone more defensive in there like cisse who can protect the back four and marek who has more than harper going forward.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 16 Dec 2008 22:55

Ian Royal

Thanks Paps and Platy.

The hilarious thing is he's claiming I have an irrational hatred and he isn't simple when I repeatedly state that I like Marek and that he could be a big player for us, if only we played a system he would fit into. Which we don't.

I'm also not so blinkered I can't see his faults, of which he has a few. So does the player I'd have in a 4-4-2 ahead of him. But he fits the system much better and gets unwarrented stick.

I have never said Marek is shit. Mainly because it's rubbish and I don't believe it to be true.

It's Winchester Royal I feel sorry for. He's actually quite intelligent and has educated opinions, but he's made to look stupid because people are likely to mistake him for Winchester_Royal who wouldn't recognise a considered opinion if you smashed him in the face with one.

Nonsense. I just disagree with you. Funnily enough IR I consider you to be one of the best posters on this board, which is why I thoroughly enjoy arguing with you. However it is your slightly daft insults, like the one in your last paragraph, that makes you a bit of a pretentious prat.

130 posts