Well done Leroy

223 posts
eleventh earl of mar

Re: Well done Leroy

by eleventh earl of mar » 10 Jan 2009 13:22

Sun Tzu Both S Hunt and Doyle failed to score with not dissimilar one on one chances last night....

Yes, and I would imagine that they would be as disappointed missing those chances as Lita is with missing his header.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Jan 2009 13:24

handbags_harris Well done for scoring Leroy, but if I was in a situation where I was effectively 70/30 in favour of me and the keeper 12 yards out I'd expect to score as well. He did nothing else when he came on, much like he did nothing against Cardiff or earlier in the season when he was starting. I don't like Leroy as a player because his all round play is generally so sh*t! Over the past 18 months he's done nothing for Reading, and nobody can say he hasn't been given the chance.

Doubt you'd have the awareness or pace to get into that position in the first place and, even if you did, I'd back the keeper (even at 70/30 in favour of you) to snatch the ball off your toes after a dreadful first touch!

I think you must have been watching my recording of the game (for some reason got sound but no pictures!). To say he did nothing else when he came on is rubbish! Even if true, I suspect Coppell would take one goal for every fifteen minutes of doing nothing else!

And I will say he hasn't been given the same chance as some others!

Bath Hoops When are you guys going to give him a break, you moan that he scored saying it was an easy chance anyone could take and you moan that he missed a sitter that anyone else would have buried. At least he was in those positions but I'm sure you will say that was just luck and not the instincts of a goal scorer. If you've got it in for him so be it, but remember at the moment he is still a Reading player and one that wants to play for the club. Give him a break and support the bloke rather than being so negative about him.

So very well said BH!
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 10 Jan 2009 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 10 Jan 2009 13:25

eleventh earl of mar
Sun Tzu Both S Hunt and Doyle failed to score with not dissimilar one on one chances last night....

Yes, and I would imagine that they would be as disappointed missing those chances as Lita is with missing his header.

Do you think so ?

Or would they take the view that once missed there is nothing they can do so they'll focus on the next chance ?

Often interesting to hear top cricketers talk about different approaches to playing bad shots. Some brood over them and try and work out what went wrong, others just decide they are still there and the next ball is a fresh chance.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 10 Jan 2009 13:31

Sun Tzu
eleventh earl of mar

Do you think so ?

Or would they take the view that once missed there is nothing they can do so they'll focus on the next chance ?

Often interesting to hear top cricketers talk about different approaches to playing bad shots. Some brood over them and try and work out what went wrong, others just decide they are still there and the next ball is a fresh chance.

Its certainly something I try to drum into my kids (both keepers) if they make a mistake. You can not change history but you can shape the future! It's now got to the stage where I just have to shout 'history' and they know what I mean.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 10 Jan 2009 13:48

He will never lose his bad attitude, that's just him as a person.
I do think though, somewhere inside him is a 20 goal a season man (in the Championship) waiting to burst out. Every season since we've signed him I've thought this is his year but it never happens but I think it's there, wether it be for us or another club.
Still think the man's a cvnter though!

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 10 Jan 2009 13:51

Royal Rother
Ok he was unmarked and it came to him but it was a very hard header.
How was it a very hard header for a professional footballer?

So he missed a sitter.
Fact was his thinking was streets ahead of Watford's shocking defence. You could see he was looking over to the corner flag and silently praying the ball would be crossed over to him with Watford's defence fast asleep. Sure he missed but made amends minutes later.
Lets accentuate the positive about Leroy rather than the negative for a change.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 10 Jan 2009 13:54

who are ya? He will never lose his bad attitude, that's just him as a person

The bad attitude that Coppell and numerous others say doesn't exist when it comes to football!

He may be a bad boy in his (not so) private life but that doesn't preclude him having a good attitude when it comes to his profession!

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 10 Jan 2009 13:58

rg6royal
mr_number i was excited as all of us to see leroy back, and was delighted when he scored... he took it well.
however, it did seem to me that he lost the ball with almost every other touch he had (excepting the run into the corner where he maybe should have had a free kick), and missed very easy header. but very pleased to see him back and scoring again... i'm willing to put his pretty shocking first ten minutes on the pitch down to nerves/over excitement about playing in front of the home fans again.

It really wasn't an easy header. Ok he did put it far wide but he did make contact and did well to actually get to it.

He was unmarked. The ball came at a very good height.

He missed the target.

THAT SAID

Well done. I thought his time here had been and gone. On his day, he's as good as any Championship and most Premiership strikers and I would rather his day was with us rather than against us.

eleventh earl of mar

by eleventh earl of mar » 10 Jan 2009 14:31

Sun Tzu
eleventh earl of mar

Do you think so ?

Yes, I would think they are disappointed at missing chances. That does not mean that they will brood on it at all. I have heard interviews with professional footballers when they say "I should have scored that chance". Of course they are disappointed with missing , but that does not stop them from focusing on the next chance. Lets face it, the more goals a striker scores the more value he is, both to the club and himself.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 10 Jan 2009 14:37

Although one of the funniest things last year, John Terry was booing his eyes out because he failed to deliver when it counted.
He couldn't dust himself down and focus again on the match because he had no chance of making amends.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 10 Jan 2009 14:41

Pleased for him that he scored. However, I thought he looked poor apart from that. He really doesn't fit into the Reading style of play. He slows play down, loses possession and complains to the officials. LAst night confirmed that he should move on which I hope he does.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 10 Jan 2009 14:52

Man Friday Pleased for him that he scored. However, I thought he looked poor apart from that. He really doesn't fit into the Reading style of play. He slows play down, loses possession and complains to the officials. LAst night confirmed that he should move on which I hope he does.

How?!

:roll:

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 10 Jan 2009 15:11

rg6royal
Man Friday Pleased for him that he scored. However, I thought he looked poor apart from that. He really doesn't fit into the Reading style of play. He slows play down, loses possession and complains to the officials. LAst night confirmed that he should move on which I hope he does.

How?!

Perhaps the sentence immediately preceding the underlined passage explains Man Friday's point of view.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 10 Jan 2009 15:27

Baines
rg6royal

How?!

Perhaps the sentence immediately preceding the underlined passage explains Man Friday's point of view.

It might if there was much truth in it!

Most players are guilty, at times, of the latter two offences. And I would dispute that he slows play down unless, of course, that includes playing up front on your own and holding onto the ball whilst support arrives!

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 10 Jan 2009 15:39

The backing in/playing for free kicks tends to slow play down. Perhaps his time at Norwich has taught him to take that out of his game, but that might be rather optimistic.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Jan 2009 15:49

Leroy Lita "It was a lovely pass from Harps, he was screaming at me to make that run," he stated.

This comment didn't click with what I saw, which was Lita seeing the space, ghosting into it (as Watford's defence conveniently opened up) and pointing where he wanted Harper to put it. Harper duly obliged but it looked to me like Lita was due far more credit than he was claiming.

To me he often comes across as a confused mix of Humbleness and Arrogance and this does nothing to dispel that.

eleventh earl of mar

by eleventh earl of mar » 10 Jan 2009 16:04

Royal Rother
Leroy Lita "It was a lovely pass from Harps, he was screaming at me to make that run," he stated.

This comment didn't click with what I saw, which was Lita seeing the space, ghosting into it (as Watford's defence conveniently opened up) and pointing where he wanted Harper to put it. Harper duly obliged but it looked to me like Lita was due far more credit than he was claiming.

To me he often comes across as a confused mix of Humbleness and Arrogance and this does nothing to dispel that.

You not being on the pitch know best then? I'm not saying Lita deserves no credit, but how do you know what Harper has said?

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 10 Jan 2009 16:18

eleventh earl of mar
Royal Rother

You not being on the pitch know best then? I'm not saying Lita deserves no credit, but how do you know what Harper has said?

One thing Harper did say twice as they celebrated was "great run". Could clearly be heard on SKY. One other thing of possible significance was that every single player made their way over to the corner to congratulate Leroy. They we all genuinely pleased for him which suggests that he has come back into the fold with a positive attitude and more importantly, that the players have accepted him back. Good news if that is the case and he can go on from here.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 10 Jan 2009 18:03

Baines The backing in/playing for free kicks tends to slow play down. Perhaps his time at Norwich has taught him to take that out of his game, but that might be rather optimistic.

I would suggest he tends to do that when he is playing up front on his own and trying to hold onto the ball until support arrives.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 10 Jan 2009 18:04

Whilst hoping he does well (especially for us), with his constant lingering on the ball and losing possession so often (the two are usually connected), and with him missing chances like the one with his head, I just don't see him adding enough to help sufficiently the cause, unfortunately. He just doesn't fit in with our style of play (like Doyle and Hunt).

Hope he proves me wrong (for Reading preferably).

223 posts