Back from the Watford game...

206 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Back from the Watford game...

by Ian Royal » 10 Jan 2009 20:49

Sarah Star I know, which might be why I don't remember seeing it before :roll: , but why do it at all?

I was trying to explain why, you may not have seen it before.

Getting matchday experience and a feel for the ocassion is very useful, also integrates them into the main squad more. It also means we have a spare body ready if anyone gets injured in the warm up. Something which isn't massively uncommon.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 10 Jan 2009 20:57

Thanks. Is there usually another member of the team around in case someone gets injured - even if they don't warm up with everyone else?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Jan 2009 20:59

Sarah Star Thanks. Is there usually another member of the team around in case someone gets injured - even if they don't warm up with everyone else?

I think quite a lot of the squad tend to come and watch, so whilst not necessarily fully prepared, they'll be about. Lita was one of the exceptions to that. He hated watching other people play when he couldn't iirc.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 10 Jan 2009 21:20

Bikey, Pearce and Karacan were all by the dugout about 15 minutes before kickoff.

Thought I'd add this SS :)

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 10 Jan 2009 22:49

Thanks. I knew others came along, I just thought it was to support the team that was picked :roll: . I didn't realise they were the back-up, though I suppose they'd always have to be prepared for something happening last minute.

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

by semtex1871 » 11 Jan 2009 00:05

I won a signed program in the royal suite and it was presented by Bikey and Robson-Kanu :D :D

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 11 Jan 2009 16:43

We won easily despite never getting out of 1st gear in the first half, and never out of 2nd gear in the 2nd half.

Watford - in common with so many teams in this Division - play pretty passing football with zero cutting edge. They also looked leggy in the last half hour - a result of having the majority of their first team play for 90 mins against Scunthorpe last week possibly? Interesting to note that NHunt commented after the game how much he needed the rest he got last week, whilst SHunt seemed to have more energy than recently as well....

At the end of the season this weekend might be looked at as being significant; we have pulled away from the team in third (who have another game to re-arrange) and are putting pressure on Wolves, who themselves have at least 1 more game to play before they play us (and whose defence look very susceptible to crosses played into their penalty area!). We have the momentum and I think Coppell knows what his starting 11 will be from now till the end of the season barring injuries/suspensions, which means that the central midfield debate is over, with Coppell favouring the Harps/Cisse partnership.

46 points and 43 goals in 19 games - is the 100/100 possible I wonder!

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 11 Jan 2009 16:57

MrA,
You took a long time getting backfrom the game. :wink:

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 11 Jan 2009 17:05

Victor Meldrew MrA,

I thought I would rest my fingers on the saturday so that they will be fresher for the rest of the season.

:wink:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jan 2009 17:08

Can't see us breaking the 100 point barrier this season.
Goals is possible, but again I think we'll just miss out. We might get as high as 95/95 IMO.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 11 Jan 2009 18:23

Despite having not a lot to do, I was impressed by Federici on Friday. Claimed some crosses nice and cleanly even though under pressure and always looking for the early release. Kicked and threw well.

I couldn't understand the BBC Berks downer on Rosie after the game (caught a few minutes of their post game coverage on the bus afterwards) - according to them he had a really bad game, but I thought he wasn't bad and linked up well with Kebe.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Jan 2009 18:33

thought it was a better game than given credit for, maybe coloured by how awful the first third of it was

thought we sat back and let them pass it badly for the first 30 mins, then slowly imposed ourselves on the game
until watford collapsed and we went into steam roller mode by the end.

fed-superb on crosses, and great distribution, pus teh odd decent save-beccoming a very good keeper before my very eyes
rosi-decent enough again
armstrong-keeps getting better, well taken 1st goal
doobs, ivar-superb again, shut the game down in our third, they had no way of getting through
harps-a good game from harps again, pass for the goal, tried to tackle a bit, and ran about, pointed, marshalled and harried as well as any one ive ever seen
cisse-worked hard, broke their play down,and tried to get forwardhubnt-best game for a while, but still some awful bits of play-but the workload, and the two crosses more than make up for it
kebe-still struggling to get up to speed after the recent rests, but did so before, hell come good again in a game or so, + the assist in the area with his HEAD-for those who doubted me last week!
doyle-there was hardly a ball forward that he didnt pluck out of the sky with head or foot, and pass neatly on to another reading player-superb
nhunt-worked hard, good turn and neat finish after kebes knock down across the box

lita-great energy and commitment, great application and work rate, and a great finish, welcome home lits
all in all a very pleasing performance, though we only really started to flow at the end

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 11 Jan 2009 18:38

Mr Angry
Victor Meldrew MrA,

I thought I would rest my fingers on the saturday so that they will be fresher for the rest of the season.

:wink:

:D
At my age I can't rest because everything will seize up and there's no way I would be fit for the next game.
Some posters need resting I suppose and others do better by just keeping going.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 11 Jan 2009 18:43

brendywendy kebe-still struggling to get up to speed after the recent rests, but did so before, hell come good again in a game or so, + the assist in the area with his HEAD-for those who doubted me last week!

Hey - I think that assist proved you wrong and everyone else right !!

Eyes closed, head at the wrong angle he managed to nudge it onto the defenders shoulder from where it ended up with Hunt ! Shocking technique but what the heck - it lead to a goal and if he can be that rubbish in the air and still create a score then who's moaning !!!!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Jan 2009 19:10

Sun Tzu
brendywendy kebe-still struggling to get up to speed after the recent rests, but did so before, hell come good again in a game or so, + the assist in the area with his HEAD-for those who doubted me last week!

Eyes closed, head at the wrong angle he managed to nudge it onto the defenders shoulder from where it ended up with Hunt ! Shocking technique but what the heck - it lead to a goal and if he can be that rubbish in the air and still create a score then who's moaning !!!!

thats the rubbish excuse of someone who knows they got it wrong

was going fro a header with a big defender, and managed to play it right across goal to land exactly at noel hunts feet
thatll do me!
plus a defensive headed clearance early in the game too

if youre too small a man to admit it, ill take solace in the fact i know im right :wink:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jan 2009 19:42

brendywendy
Sun Tzu

was going fro a header with a big defender, and managed to play it right across goal to land exactly at noel hunts feet
thatll do me!

if youre too small a man to admit it, ill take solace in the fact i know im right :wink:

Sorry Brendy, but having watched out as you requested, Kebe is pretty feeble in the air. The percentages suggest a player that tall is going to get something on the ball every now and then. Having seen a replay of the goal he didn't really have any idea what he was doing, just trying to get something on the ball. came off the defender as well as him and fell to NHunt.

He is an enigma, tackled back well on one or two ocassions and went in for headers well on one or two ocassions. On several others he just stood and watched or bottled putting his foot in when he was favourite to win the ball.

I honestly don't think he has the brain to play in the top flight. His control and speed mean he can do ok at this level, but his decision making is atrocious.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Jan 2009 19:45

never said he was awesome though

you said he offered nothing, i said he does offer something, produces it in most games
and is clearly working on that aspect of his game

and that is why you are still wrong

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jan 2009 19:47

brendywendy never said he was awesome though

you said he offered nothing, i said he does offer something, produces it in most games

You appear to be confusing me with someone else Brendy.

Unless that wasn't for me, in which case I retract.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 11 Jan 2009 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Jan 2009 19:47

Ian Royal
brendywendy
Sun Tzu

thatll do me!

Sorry Brendy, but having watched out as you requested, Kebe is pretty feeble in the air. The percentages suggest a player that tall is going to get something on the ball every now and then. Having seen a replay of the goal he didn't really have any idea what he was doing, just trying to get something on the ball. came off the defender as well as him and fell to NHunt.

He is an enigma, tackled back well on one or two ocassions and went in for headers well on one or two ocassions. On several others he just stood and watched or bottled putting his foot in when he was favourite to win the ball.

I honestly don't think he has the brain to play in the top flight. His control and speed mean he can do ok at this level, but his decision making is atrocious.

to be fair, as the fastest man in our team hes clearly instructed to be our out man when the midfielders drop back in defensive positions, meaning he cant really come back, as when he does, we have no one to play the ball to

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Jan 2009 19:48

Ian Royal
brendywendy never said he was awesome though

You appear to be confusing me with someone else Brendy.
and you confuse me with someone who cares

and your still wrong :wink:

206 posts