Hunt signs to 2012

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Hunt signs to 2012

by Deathy » 05 Feb 2009 08:31

Fubar
royalexile What has a players level of intellect got to do with anything. We do not ask a player to stand on poets corner giving a 30 minute lecture on the merits of poetry in motion. He's paid to play football or is there something i'm missing.

Don't worry, I think I missed it as well.

Simples! :lol:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Feb 2009 09:26

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Hoop Blah So basically you mean there is nothing to say he new contract = a settled Hunt then.

!!???

Pls have the decency to at least read my post when I spend overly long reponding to something that is to be fair a bit of a no brainer/daft question in the first place (in the most polite way I found possible) and didn't dignify that much time spelling out the bleeding obvious in the first place.

Read it again. New contract DOES signify possiblity of more settled Hunt. Just to clarify.

Make your mind up, originally you said it was a 'fair and good question...' there's no need to get defensive because someone thinks it's twaddle!

I appreciated your response, and read it, but the majority of it was all waffle about it shows he's committed etc etc because he's happy to sign blah blah blah, when in reality it's much more likely he's signed it because there is more money in it for him and he's realised that there isn't a better offer coming in right now.

All along he's said he's happy here but would rather be back in the Premiership. That hasn't changed, he's just realised that despite all his efforts nobody has been willing to stump up enough and so he's signed the contract that has apparently been on the table for a few weeks now.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 05 Feb 2009 11:26

I'd have to say well done Hunty.
He's shown a bit of commitment and now we can get on with the promotion push.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 05 Feb 2009 12:36

Victor Meldrew I wonder if we will see even more tricolores there on Saturday and banners saying "thank you for staying oh chosen one".
Some of the adulation on here is so sick and reminds me of Life Of Brian.

For me, the 'adulation' of SHunt (as you call it) is infinitely better than the undeserved brickbats that are thrown at him. The essence of our team is that it is just that - a team. We have no 'star'players (you could argue that Doyle is a star, but last season, when he didn't get service from the midfield, he didn't shine too brightly). Each member of the team has a role to play, and each of them plays it well. When we play at our best, we play a high tempo game and SHunt is an important part of that. The way we play needs at least one player who is fast and aggressive - SHunt is that man! Although not as skillful as (say) Ronaldo, his contribution this season has included a number of goals as well as the highest number of assists in this division. As you know, I can't get to many games these days, and am relying on second hand accounts to make up my mind as to how we arfe doing. That aside, second in the league speaks for itself, as does having a 100% record against the other two teams in the top three. We must be doing something right!!

On a different topic, yes, Anne Bullen (Boleyn was a bit of an affectation to make them sound a bit more posh) had a sister - Mary. Mary was said by some to be prettier than Anne, but whether or not that's true is purely subjective and not particularly important. Mary had an affair with Henry (she was, after all, female with a pulse) and it is said that she bore him at least one son.

On another topic, an event in history is simply that - something that happened in the past. History is not 'what's happened' but the recording of it happening. You mentioned the assassination of JFK. Yes, this was a very important event, but in itself is probably not 'historic' except that it contributed to a series of events that proved to have a large effect on America and the World. It has been said that this murder, played as it was on World Television, was the final nail in the coffin of the last vestiges of America's innocence. It had the effect of desenstising the world to brutal violent death. Look at the news reporting of the Vietnam war, for example. More important than this, in my opinion, was the shooting of a Vietcong prisoner by a S Vietnamese army officer, again played on World Television. This is a vast subject. To fully understand it we must look at a number of things going back perhaps to the founding of America. The single event is just that, a single event. (I do remember, as clear as if it was yesterday, what I was doing at the moment I heard about the assassination).

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 05 Feb 2009 12:43

That's just too much hero worship HR

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 05 Feb 2009 13:37

Hampshire Royal
Victor Meldrew I wonder if we will see even more tricolores there on Saturday and banners saying "thank you for staying oh chosen one".
Some of the adulation on here is so sick and reminds me of Life Of Brian.

For me, the 'adulation' of SHunt (as you call it) is infinitely better than the undeserved brickbats that are thrown at him. The essence of our team is that it is just that - a team. We have no 'star'players (you could argue that Doyle is a star, but last season, when he didn't get service from the midfield, he didn't shine too brightly). Each member of the team has a role to play, and each of them plays it well. When we play at our best, we play a high tempo game and SHunt is an important part of that. The way we play needs at least one player who is fast and aggressive - SHunt is that man! Although not as skillful as (say) Ronaldo, his contribution this season has included a number of goals as well as the highest number of assists in this division. As you know, I can't get to many games these days, and am relying on second hand accounts to make up my mind as to how we arfe doing. That aside, second in the league speaks for itself, as does having a 100% record against the other two teams in the top three. We must be doing something right!!

On a different topic, yes, Anne Bullen (Boleyn was a bit of an affectation to make them sound a bit more posh) had a sister - Mary. Mary was said by some to be prettier than Anne, but whether or not that's true is purely subjective and not particularly important. Mary had an affair with Henry (she was, after all, female with a pulse) and it is said that she bore him at least one son.

On another topic, an event in history is simply that - something that happened in the past. History is not 'what's happened' but the recording of it happening. You mentioned the assassination of JFK. Yes, this was a very important event, but in itself is probably not 'historic' except that it contributed to a series of events that proved to have a large effect on America and the World. It has been said that this murder, played as it was on World Television, was the final nail in the coffin of the last vestiges of America's innocence. It had the effect of desenstising the world to brutal violent death. Look at the news reporting of the Vietnam war, for example. More important than this, in my opinion, was the shooting of a Vietcong prisoner by a S Vietnamese army officer, again played on World Television. This is a vast subject. To fully understand it we must look at a number of things going back perhaps to the founding of America. The single event is just that, a single event. (I do remember, as clear as if it was yesterday, what I was doing at the moment I heard about the assassination).

Thanks for clearing up the Boleyn/Bullen query.
I agree with you about the team ethic but that doesn't mean that if one part is taken out it cannot be replaced and the replacement could be better thus the view that Hunt is far from being irreplacable.
BTW the Kennedy thing-it was not just about the assassination but about his life- thought you would like to know that history teaching is still not just about the headlines.

BTW I also remember where I was at the time of the shooting and I remember working at Reading Bridge house and seeing a certain Malcolm X walk down with his entourage from Reading station-not only was it unusual to see a group of black guys together at that time but also we had no idea how big time he was.
Presumably having seen the best parts of Reading there was not much else to top it.
He was killed a few months later.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 05 Feb 2009 14:07

gazzer, loyal royal
Alan Partridge
Silver Fox I'd say that this might make people eat their words but no doubt their response would be that this is merely a tactic to drive his price when he leaves, just like Doyle did in the transfer window

I remember reading somewhere (not saying it's 100% true because just saying what i read) that Reading had offered S Hunt 'Premiership wages' for him to stay at the club instead of go to Wigan. When there was interest from them, we basically matched their offer for him to stay. Now what I'm wondering is (if it's true of course) if this offer remained on the table and now Hunt hasn't managed to get his move, he's signed up on even more money with *probably* the same if not better release clauses in it.

Which if true proves nothing regards to 'loyalty'.

He rejected a contract at the start to the window, which was the same terms he was on when he signed his last one, but we wanted the release clause moved back to the summer. At the time, he was so convinced he was going to Spurs that he turned it down.

Pretty much what Steve Coppell has said in his interview about it, apart from he changed rejected it, to leaving the deal on the table

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 05 Feb 2009 16:16

just a thought about his new contract. it wouldnt make sense for him to sign on more wages and a lower release clause, that would make us look like mugs. instead i reckon hes got more wages, the same release clause and another release clause if we dont go up this season around 3million or so.

Dr Hfuhruhurr

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 05 Feb 2009 17:14

Plymouth_Royal just a thought about his new contract. it wouldnt make sense for him to sign on more wages and a lower release clause, that would make us look like mugs. instead i reckon hes got more wages, the same release clause and another release clause if we dont go up this season around 3million or so.

Stephen Hunt has rejected your offer of a contract. He is currently unhappy at the club.
He wants 15,000 per week
The board will allow 12,000 per week and see him as a key member of the squad.
Offer new contract?

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 05 Feb 2009 20:00

I often feel that Off At Eleven are overly critical and wide of the mark, trying to stir up a storm. However despite my dislike of the site, I feel they have hit the nail on the head here:

The club have confirmed that Stephen Hunt is poised to sign a new contract until the summer of 2012.

In a remarkable turn around of events, Stephen Hunt has decided that he doesn't want to leave the club after all and will pen a new deal in the next few days that will commit him to the club until the summer of 2012.

It was only last week that Hunt sensationally blasted Steve Coppell for not being honest about bids received for him in the January transfer window and insisted that 'some people should go to confession'.

He was linked with Spurs, Everton and Wigan during the last month but despite having a £5million release clause in his contract, no club splashed the cash with only Wigan making any kind of firm enquiry.

Infact it was after that enquiry that discussions began over a new deal and it appears that we offered to match any wages that Wigan could offer him as well as lowering the release clause in his contract if we were not promoted come what May. That would then allow Hunt to fulfill his dream of a Premiership return.

I don't know about you but that doesn't sound much like loyalty to me but the majority of our fans allow the wool to be pulled over their eyes over most things, why would this be any different? So I'm sure it will be Irish flags and a special cheer for 'Hunty' at the weekend.

Anyway, tomorrow morning I will be going into work, calling my boss a liar and then sitting back and waiting for my increased wage packet come the end of the month.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I respect Hunt for being honest and saying that he wants to play in the Premiership, every player does and I'm glad he at least is being forthcoming about it.

However I've been very disappointed that he hasn't taken his share of the responsibility for last season and given us a year in the Championship out of choice, like Doyle has. He was part of the squad that came down and has to take some of the blame, but he's been like a spoiled kid this season and is now taking a new contract as a second best option that will mean nothing in the summer. There is no loyalty in this contract and he has forgotten the opportunity we gave him when he left Brentford.

Despite this I'm delighted he's staying until the end of the season and I hope that he prove my skepticism wrong by performing on the pitch.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 05 Feb 2009 20:25

rhroyal I often feel that Off At Eleven are overly critical and wide of the mark, trying to stir up a storm. However despite my dislike of the site, I feel they have hit the nail on the head here:

The club have confirmed that Stephen Hunt is poised to sign a new contract until the summer of 2012.

In a remarkable turn around of events, Stephen Hunt has decided that he doesn't want to leave the club after all and will pen a new deal in the next few days that will commit him to the club until the summer of 2012.

It was only last week that Hunt sensationally blasted Steve Coppell for not being honest about bids received for him in the January transfer window and insisted that 'some people should go to confession'.

He was linked with Spurs, Everton and Wigan during the last month but despite having a £5million release clause in his contract, no club splashed the cash with only Wigan making any kind of firm enquiry.

Infact it was after that enquiry that discussions began over a new deal and it appears that we offered to match any wages that Wigan could offer him as well as lowering the release clause in his contract if we were not promoted come what May. That would then allow Hunt to fulfill his dream of a Premiership return.

I don't know about you but that doesn't sound much like loyalty to me but the majority of our fans allow the wool to be pulled over their eyes over most things, why would this be any different? So I'm sure it will be Irish flags and a special cheer for 'Hunty' at the weekend.

Anyway, tomorrow morning I will be going into work, calling my boss a liar and then sitting back and waiting for my increased wage packet come the end of the month.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I respect Hunt for being honest and saying that he wants to play in the Premiership, every player does and I'm glad he at least is being forthcoming about it.

However I've been very disappointed that he hasn't taken his share of the responsibility for last season and given us a year in the Championship out of choice, like Doyle has. He was part of the squad that came down and has to take some of the blame, but he's been like a spoiled kid this season and is now taking a new contract as a second best option that will mean nothing in the summer. There is no loyalty in this contract and he has forgotten the opportunity we gave him when he left Brentford.

Despite this I'm delighted he's staying until the end of the season and I hope that he prove my skepticism wrong by performing on the pitch.

Good post. Share your views.

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

S.Hunt's New Contract

by tomrfcurz » 06 Feb 2009 17:56

So SHunt signed a new contract, but what i dont get is why he still had a good 2 years on the old one, so why only extend it one more year to 2012. Don't know if it is possible for the club to do so but if he has signed a new deal, could it include the removal of his £5mil release clause or is this unable to be taken off? Just seems odd that he's signed for such a little extension on the old deal. So could it be possible we could now get more than the £5mil for him in the Summer as all statements issued by SHunt and Hammond they have said how he is committed to get the club back in the Prem, nothing about beyond that yet he now has a long term contract with the club

???

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: S.Hunt's New Contract

by The 17 Bus » 06 Feb 2009 18:00

Eh??

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 06 Feb 2009 18:04

The 17 Bus Eh??

Could the new contract take away that bugger of a £5mil release clause

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 06 Feb 2009 18:06

Probably for higher wages. :wink:

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 06 Feb 2009 18:23

...definitely for higher wages!...can't understand any other reason he'd move given that we are look likely for a return to the premiership. He preferred Spurs and Everton to Wigan , and Im sure one of those reasons was wages.

I would have waited until end of season before dishing out a new contract - not sure that he's earned an improved contract, given his performances and his tantrums!

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 06 Feb 2009 18:23

MERGE

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 06 Feb 2009 18:23

NR_Royal Probably for higher wages. :wink:

+1

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 06 Feb 2009 18:52

tomrfcurz
The 17 Bus Eh??

Could the new contract take away that bugger of a £5mil release clause

you could try reading the thread already up and running.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84789

woodley_royal_124

by woodley_royal_124 » 06 Feb 2009 21:54

besides i think we want to keep him here. Money talks. HTH.