36%

Total votes: 225
leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Are we going down?

by leon » 03 Oct 2009 23:36

Murts-is-Lej
adamh4608 after today, unless there is changes we will go down

Indeed you are correct - I just happen to believe that Rodgers might just learn to change things in the right way rather than asking Royalee to suggest a formation (that doesn't involve Kebe of course...)

If we dont get a win at home soon we will end up relying on away form.Which will dry up as we are now in a relegation battle.

I honestly thought Rodgers was a good choice - because i thought naively that he was progressive manager in the mould of McGhee who liked attacking football. We play turgid anti football and Rodgers seems to think that's acceptable. Well it f*cking isn't.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Oct 2009 23:38

After today's performance, I am beginning to think it is a distinct possibility.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 04 Oct 2009 00:17

I think we have enough good players to stay up easily.

I just don't think we are using them correctly.

One of the most remarkable features of this 15 game run (and also the most annoying in many ways) is that's it's not as if we are being outplayed by better teams, we just have no idea tactically what to do to score goals. OK, Boro were better man for man today, but they barely got out of first gear. We don't play like we believe we can score, so the moment we go a goal down, the game's as good as over.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Oct 2009 00:20

Rev Algenon Stickleback H I think we have enough good players to stay up easily.

One of the most remarkable features of this 15 game run (and also the most annoying in many ways) is that's it's not as if we are being outplayed by better teams, we just have no idea tactically what to do to score goals. OK, Boro were better man for man today, but they barely got out of first gear. We don't play like we believe we can score, so the moment we go a goal down, the game's as good as over.

hmmm so the problem is....?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Oct 2009 02:25

confidence and leadership for the players.

When we put a ball in the box, it's not directed to someone, it's punted in hopefully to what should be a danger area. The players are devoid of ideas and the confidence to do stuff, so the movement is poor. Which only exacerbates that.

There's a hesitency and uncertainty which means defences have time to reorganise and the other team are always first to the ball. Or if we are first to the ball, we have to take a touch or two to find the perfect scoring chance. By which time the player has been tackled.

Shots are the same as crosses, hit hopefully towards the target. There's bugger all real conviction in them. They're not being placed to beat the keeper.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Oct 2009 09:18

I still don't think so but it's certainly starting to feel that way.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 04 Oct 2009 09:55

Ian Royal confidence and leadership for the players.

When we put a ball in the box, it's not directed to someone, it's punted in hopefully to what should be a danger area. The players are devoid of ideas and the confidence to do stuff, so the movement is poor. Which only exacerbates that.

There's a hesitency and uncertainty which means defences have time to reorganise and the other team are always first to the ball. Or if we are first to the ball, we have to take a touch or two to find the perfect scoring chance. By which time the player has been tackled.

Shots are the same as crosses, hit hopefully towards the target. There's bugger all real conviction in them. They're not being placed to beat the keeper.

How can Rodgers sort that out though, Ian, if we don't win or score even? Seems like a self-perpetuating circle and I wouldn't know how to break it.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 04 Oct 2009 09:58

1/4 season played = 11 points x4 = avg 44 points.

Is that normally enough to stay up?

I am starting to believe we could infact be going down.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Oct 2009 10:01

52 is the accepted target to stay up. Am sure someone will have more definitive figures somewhere tho.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 04 Oct 2009 10:01

I honestly dreamt last night that we got relegated! Horrible, horrible dream. Mystic Meg qualities? We'll have to see.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 04 Oct 2009 11:40

leon
Rev Algenon Stickleback H I think we have enough good players to stay up easily.

hmmm so the problem is....?

wrong tactics for the players we have. Our team is a square peg and his tactics are a round hole, and Rodgers is determined to bash that peg in regardless.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 04 Oct 2009 13:03

FickLOLe ROFLeading Fans

If anyone on here had been offered 3 points from the last 2 games you'd have been delighted.

Yes we were poor, but let's not forget we got a tough win at Preston just 4 days earlier. Gunnar was knackered, and for that reason we struggled a bit, but to say we're definitely going down just because of one poor performance is ludicrous.

All teams have off days, and that is not how we always play, so stop being such reactionary twats and grow up.

Mr Controversial

by Mr Controversial » 04 Oct 2009 13:11

Sometimes, you dont know what you've got till its gone......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4-x5cpzvto&feature=fvw

(ps - great vid James)

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 04 Oct 2009 13:12

winchester_royal FickLOLe ROFLeading Fans

If anyone on here had been offered 3 points from the last 2 games you'd have been delighted.

Yes we were poor, but let's not forget we got a tough win at Preston just 4 days earlier. Gunnar was knackered, and for that reason we struggled a bit, but to say we're definitely going down just because of one poor performance is ludicrous.

All teams have off days, and that is not how we always play, so stop being such reactionary twats and grow up.

as always the voice of reason!!

we wont go down but we wont finish higher than 15th!! transition season job well done!!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Oct 2009 13:13

Sarah Star
Ian Royal confidence and leadership for the players.

How can Rodgers sort that out though, Ian, if we don't win or score even? Seems like a self-perpetuating circle and I wouldn't know how to break it.

Give them a oxf*rd rocket, get back to basics, keep it simple, keep it consistent and play his best team.

Work on fitness in training again. Work on movement off the ball. Work on the individual partnerships all across the pitch so the players all know what each other should be doing and where they are going to be at any given time. Get the players confident that they know what they're doing and then suddenly, you're right winger can swap with your left winger and cause confusion. Your defensive midfielder can burst forward unmarked as the attacker hold back.

What we don't need is to carry on pissing about with an overly complicated formation that requires you to get it spot on or you don't have a chance. With one uprfont the central midfielder and wingers have to be capable of scoring regularly. Kebe & Howard definitely aren't They have to be very good at getting into the box oon the end of things. They aren't With one upfront it's far too simple for the defenders to just pick off every attack for a team low on form and confidence. Especially when your striker really isn't very suited to the role.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 04 Oct 2009 13:18

winchester_royal Gunnar was knackered, and for that reason we struggled a bit

So why did Rodgers start him then?

winchester_royal say we're definitely going down just because of one poor performance is ludicrous.

12 games against Championship opposition this season, 10 goals scored; 1 own goal, 1 pen, just four goals from open play. That is why I reckon we've got every chance of being relegated.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Oct 2009 13:19

Awful performance, of which we've had at least three. As for poor performances, well we've had six of those. Even our winning performances have come against the worst team in the league at the time and and a lucky rearguard action against Preston after a very good 45 minutes.

Our form is DLDLW, DLLDW, L - that really isn't showing any signs of improvement. And lets not forget it's actually 12 games against opposition of this level. Which gives us another loss. 2 wins in 12 games against Championship opposition will see us relegated unless something changes.

We can't afford to wait a whole lot longer.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 04 Oct 2009 13:27

Please learn more about football before you post. You are coming across as an idiot.

Reading are ONE place above the RELEGATION zone - they are awful, have been performing poorly and things are going from bad to worse. Do you even go to games to see the crap we are putting up with? Our two wins this season have been complete and utter flukes, the pen at barnsley was a poor decision and preston hit the woodwork four times on tuesday with federiici made a wonder save. Don't come on here ant starting patronising being about being " fickle" when a club that finished 4th last season is now 21st and win less at home under rodgers. You can no longer pull this " only a few games" bollox, there are teams on 24 points, - we are on 10 after 11 games. That's piss poor, plain and simple.
Your logic of gunnar being tired as an excuse for the defeat is astonishing, absolutely astonishing. Has anyone got a picture of someone clutching at straws?

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 04 Oct 2009 13:28

Fickle Fans?

Hardly.

Anyother club would have been ripping up the seats in the directors box by now. Club I worked for had fans on the pitch calling for the managers head the season we got promoted to the Premiership. Reading have the most apathetic fans in football and that's not a good thing.

It has been beyoned dire for nearly a year, would like to see the stats but I doubt any other side has picked up less points at home in the last 10 months.

Rodgers has got it badly wrong. He's not half the coach he thinks he is and the players are not half as good as he thinks they are.

As Ian says he needs to go back to basics, realises his shortcomings as well as his players. Get senior players like Tabb back in the team, try and loan some been there done that players and just keep us up this season.

We can look at things in the summer. The summer is the time to get rid of Rodgers if that's what they want to do. Rodgers has got us in this mess, he's the only person who can get us out.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Oct 2009 13:31

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Fickle Fans?

Hardly.

Anyother club would have been ripping up the seats in the directors box by now. Club I worked for had fans on the pitch calling for the managers head the season we got promoted to the Premiership. Reading have the most apathetic fans in football and that's not a good thing.

It has been beyoned dire for nearly a year, would like to see the stats but I doubt any other side has picked up less points at home in the last 10 months.

Rodgers has got it badly wrong. He's not half the coach he thinks he is and the players are not half as good as he thinks they are.

As Ian says he needs to go back to basics, realises his shortcomings as well as his players. Get senior players like Tabb back in the team, try and loan some been there done that players and just keep us up this season.

We can look at things in the summer. The summer is the time to get rid of Rodgers if that's what they want to do. Rodgers has got us in this mess, he's the only person who can get us out.

Yeah, but he won't do any of that, which means he'll take us down, which means we need to get shot unless a miracle occurs in the next 5 games.

136 posts