The £2M signing..

211 posts
roberto_11

Re: The £2M signing..

by roberto_11 » 17 Sep 2009 18:25

yuomi
it seems to me that youre saying, and i cant quite work out how much, that someone has to have played football in order to know anything about football?

i would probably just say jose mourinho to you and move on tbh. theres no need to thank me.

"The son of Portuguese goalkeeper Félix, Mourinho started out as a player but he was unsatisfied with his career and switched to management."

Quote from Wikipedia. Started off as a player. Doesn't matter how good he was, he played football.

Next reason...

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 17 Sep 2009 18:26

Plymouth_Royal
Ideal ...can't even make the team.

Discuss.

I don't know if you've noticed but the defensive side of our game isn't the problem, so mills not making the team is because the rest of that department are doing their job. If we had a 2million pound striker who wasn't playing or playing well then yes we would have cause for concern.

Over the last 2 seasons we had a million pound striker that wasn't wanted / rated / whatever. Last season, we had a £6.5 million pound striker go missing for 5 months :?

As I see it, spending such a large amount of money on a player and not using him is akin to buying a flash car and leaving it in the garage. At this rate, once Ivar gets fully fit, Mills will become 4th choice.

And to be fair, we do look quite solid defensively.

roberto_11

by roberto_11 » 17 Sep 2009 18:29

Terminal Boardom
Plymouth_Royal

Discuss.

I don't know if you've noticed but the defensive side of our game isn't the problem, so mills not making the team is because the rest of that department are doing their job. If we had a 2million pound striker who wasn't playing or playing well then yes we would have cause for concern.

Over the last 2 seasons we had a million pound striker that wasn't wanted / rated / whatever. Last season, we had a £6.5 million pound striker go missing for 5 months :?

As I see it, spending such a large amount of money on a player and not using him is akin to buying a flash car and leaving it in the garage. At this rate, once Ivar gets fully fit, Mills will become 4th choice.

But Mills is 9 years younger and has a lot of room for improvement, hence the investment.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 17 Sep 2009 18:30

roberto_11
yuomi
it seems to me that youre saying, and i cant quite work out how much, that someone has to have played football in order to know anything about football?

i would probably just say jose mourinho to you and move on tbh. theres no need to thank me.

"The son of Portuguese goalkeeper Félix, Mourinho started out as a player but he was unsatisfied with his career and switched to management."

Quote from Wikipedia. Started off as a player. Doesn't matter how good he was, he played football.

Next reason...

I think that you will find that there are plenty of people who have played football professionally and have also spouted considerable quantities of bollocks. Barry Fry? Tony Cascarino? Chris Kamara? Alan Shearer has never had an opinion in his life. Ian Holloway is simply a clown with a bumper book of soundbites. Steve Claridge? Bland as oxf*rd! I could go on.

Football is about opinion. Not everyone shares mine and not everyone shares yours. Just get used to it.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 17 Sep 2009 18:33

roberto_11
But Mills is 9 years younger and has a lot of room for improvement, hence the investment.

£2m for work in progress is a bit steep for a club of our stature.

roberto_11

by roberto_11 » 17 Sep 2009 18:36

Terminal Boardom
I think that you will find that there are plenty of people who have played football professionally and have also spouted considerable quantities of bollocks. Barry Fry? Tony Cascarino? Chris Kamara? Alan Shearer has never had an opinion in his life. Ian Holloway is simply a clown with a bumper book of soundbites. Steve Claridge? Bland as oxf*rd! I could go on.

Football is about opinion. Not everyone shares mine and not everyone shares yours. Just get used to it.

But then again, how many football managers are there who HAVE NEVER PLAYED FOOTBALL?

If you find me one, I will hold my hands up

The reason why you wont find any, is that they wont be employed without any footballing experience. The clubs wont VALUE THEIR OPINION AND KNOWLEDGE. Its like applying for a job in a law firm having no law degree, but having watched Judge Judy occasionally and thinking you know everything.

yuomi

by yuomi » 17 Sep 2009 18:38

roberto_11
yuomi

Next reason...

great source material. great source. he never signed professionally for anyone so 'career' is overstepping the mark a bit. but, then again, ive had a kick around or two. so youre not judging me either? and whats his dad got to do with it?

your argument doesnt stand up. there are such things as armchair fans for whom football is an all consuming passion and their opinions on the game are valid and well informed just as much as yours are for having turned out for your sunday league team. you tend to cosy up to the opinions of alan shearer more because you recognise him and can relate to his having been a succesful pro player. he was something you aspired to maybe. and that fine and dandy and nothing more than psychology. but discounting the opinions of others on the basis of their not having played the game is making something that unites people exclusionist and, tbf, sounds a bit fascist.

oh, and wikipedia avram grant too.
Last edited by yuomi on 17 Sep 2009 18:40, edited 2 times in total.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 17 Sep 2009 18:39

roberto_11
Terminal Boardom

But then again, how many football managers are there who HAVE NEVER PLAYED FOOTBALL?

The reason why you wont find any, is that they wont be employed without any footballing experience. The clubs wont VALUE THEIR OPINION AND KNOWLEDGE. Its like applying for a job in a law firm having no law degree, but having watched Judge Judy occasionally and thinking you know everything.

Scunthorpe United. He was their physio.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Sep 2009 18:40

roberto_11
Ian Royal
The one who is making the most sense, regardless of playing experience.

But surely people who have played football, regardless of whether it was for your school team or for Real Madrid, will be in a much better position to make an informed judgement?

For example you are more likely to chose a trained plumber, not some random bloke you meet in the street, to fix your plumbing!!

Someone with a bit of analytical intelligence and experience of football in some sort, playing or watching> someone with a bit of analytical intelligence>an idiot who's played football.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 17 Sep 2009 18:43

Terminal Boardom
Plymouth_Royal

Discuss.

Fair point but I think the metaphor of a flash car sitting in the garage isn't great. You can't just have a first eleven and then players who are not good enough to start, regardless of price, on the bench. The best teams have a great Squad and a great manager who can keep a Squad of starters happy. I believe that's what Rodgers wants and mills can be an example of that.

roberto_11

by roberto_11 » 17 Sep 2009 18:53

yuomi
great source material. great source. he never signed professionally for anyone so 'career' is overstepping the mark a bit. but, then again, ive had a kick around or two. so youre not judging me either? and whats his dad got to do with it?

your argument doesnt stand up. there are such things as armchair fans for whom football is an all consuming passion and their opinions on the game are valid and well informed just as much as yours are for having turned out for your sunday league team. you tend to cosy up to the opinions of alan shearer more because you recognise him and can relate to his having been a succesful pro player. he was something you aspired to maybe. and that fine and dandy and nothing more than psychology. but discounting the opinions of others on the basis of their not having played the game is making something that unites people exclusionist and, tbf, sounds a bit fascist.

Ok so you admit I was right and play the guilt trip. I dont mean to offend anyone, it just annoys me when this board is mainly full of people who talk garbage. This particular topic just shows ignorance to be honest, and got me started on a massive rant.

Avram Grant got the Chelsea job as he has been working in football since he was 18. He is a professional in the sport. Most of the people on here are, as you say, armchair fans. Theres nothing wrong with watching football occasionally and having an opinion, obviously. But when that opinion is blatently wrong, it can be frustrating for people who have better knowledge, gained from experience in the sport, to accept that view. Especially when there are dozens of ridiculous threads on this team board at the moment.

yuomi

by yuomi » 17 Sep 2009 18:58

roberto_11
yuomi

Ok so you admit I was right and play the guilt trip. I dont mean to offend anyone, it just annoys me when this board is mainly full of people who talk garbage. This particular topic just shows ignorance to be honest, and got me started on a massive rant.

Avram Grant got the Chelsea job as he has been working in football since he was 18. He is a professional in the sport. Most of the people on here are, as you say, armchair fans. Theres nothing wrong with watching football occasionally and having an opinion, obviously. But when that opinion is blatently wrong, it can be frustrating for people who have better knowledge, gained from experience in the sport, to accept that view. Especially when there are dozens of ridiculous threads on this team board at the moment.

....are you kanye west in disguise?

shut up, put up and sit down.

your argument is nonsense.

roberto_11

by roberto_11 » 17 Sep 2009 18:58

Ian Royal
roberto_11
Ian Royal
The one who is making the most sense, regardless of playing experience.

But surely people who have played football, regardless of whether it was for your school team or for Real Madrid, will be in a much better position to make an informed judgement?

For example you are more likely to chose a trained plumber, not some random bloke you meet in the street, to fix your plumbing!!

Someone with a bit of analytical intelligence and experience of football in some sort, playing or watching> someone with a bit of analytical intelligence>an idiot who's played football.

Intelligent person who has played football >> Idiot who has played football >> Intelligent person who has never played football >> Idiot who has never played football

If you're implying that I am thick by the way, I could give you a number of reasons how I have anayltical intelligence.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 17 Sep 2009 19:01

Royal Lady RZR - what are your thoughts on this season so far - you haven't had much of an opinion.

I'm ASKING why on earth a £2 million player is sat on a bench, I don't see it as moaning, I'm curious because from where I'm looking at the situation, it seems a waste of money - SOME people have managed to explain the situation as THEY see it, and for that I am grateful and maybe understand things a bit better.

He's only been on the bench a couple of times...its not like an entire season. He will get his chance probably at the expense of Pearce

roberto_11

by roberto_11 » 17 Sep 2009 19:02

Yuomi - Judging by your relentless pursuit of victory in this argument, I have concluded that you have a rather large chip on your shoulder about never playing football when you were younger, and are making up for it now by supporting Reading. You have my sympathies.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 17 Sep 2009 19:03

Royal Lady Was Mills the signing that I said "smacked of desperation" after we couldn't get Tommy Smith? I honestly can't remember.

But we signed him before we realised we weren't getting Smith - almost a month before. There's an old saying...'sometimes it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up...' - can you finish it for me?

yuomi

by yuomi » 17 Sep 2009 19:04

roberto_11 Yuomi - Judging by your relentless pursuit of victory in this argument, I have concluded that you have a rather large chip on your shoulder about never playing football when you were younger, and are making up for it now by supporting Reading. You have my sympathies.

Ok so you admit I was right and play the guilt trip.

:roll:

roberto_11

by roberto_11 » 17 Sep 2009 19:10

Haha

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 17 Sep 2009 20:33

I would rather see the players we pay good money for in the team, especially near the start of their time here, saw Mills against Burton and looked fine, he has scored a goal, then o'Dea became available, I don't think the Mills thing is the same as Kitson, who JM said to my face was not injured when he came, and was left out to make him meaner and leaner, or words to that effect.

I would back Mills to be a regular here for many a season, .

However a lot of abuse on this thread, cant some just calm down a litle and discuss stuff.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 17 Sep 2009 20:48

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
I still think he'll take Pearce's place in the side in the next month or so.

For the love of God, I hope so

211 posts