Rodgers - let us all get some perspective

123 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rodgers - let us all get some perspective

by Ian Royal » 27 Sep 2009 22:54

starliaison
Ian Royal If we're going to get in a new manager he has to have not only the transfer window to sign players where we need them, but also have time to evaluate the squad before that window opens, or he'll be making guesses or left with what's left at the end.

just a thought - if it is true that SJM is not putting money in anymore how are we going to sign players in January? I'm not sure if its true but if it is...

Same way we've signed players for the last two or three years. By budgeting sensibly. The only things I've seen about him not putting in extra money says he hasn't been doing it for a some time.

And I wouldn't put it past him to put his hand in his pocket if he thought it was a one off that would allow us to maintain the sustainable model by avoiding relegation.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Only 9 games ffs!

by Avon Royal » 28 Sep 2009 07:15

Royal Lady I'm sick and tired of people on here thinking that if you dare to criticise the manager etc, you're a plastic or a fairweather fan. Between us Schards and I have been going to watch RFC for nigh on 70 years *- and the reason we are being critical is because we hope something will be done to stop the rot before we slide into obscurity. All the good that has been done in the past, which took us 130 odd years to achieve is being undone in the space of 2 years. You can have blind faith and optimism if you want, but don't you dare wish ill on people who feel the need to criticise , or label them as plastic/fairweather, when, in actual fact, they care very much about the team and probably too much in many cases. :evil:

* 28 years for me, about 38 for Schards

I don't think anyone thinks that you two are fairweather fans. Tiresome, negative, egotistical moaners maybe, but not fairweather fans.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 28 Sep 2009 07:29

Ideal Rodgers is a clown.

Ideal Pot.. kettle.. black.

:wink:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Sep 2009 08:23

Ian Royal
starliaison
Ian Royal If we're going to get in a new manager he has to have not only the transfer window to sign players where we need them, but also have time to evaluate the squad before that window opens, or he'll be making guesses or left with what's left at the end.

just a thought - if it is true that SJM is not putting money in anymore how are we going to sign players in January? I'm not sure if its true but if it is...

Same way we've signed players for the last two or three years. By budgeting sensibly. The only things I've seen about him not putting in extra money says he hasn't been doing it for a some time.

And I wouldn't put it past him to put his hand in his pocket if he thought it was a one off that would allow us to maintain the sustainable model by avoiding relegation.

'Budgeting sensibly' is the way that we have signed sub-standard players for the past two years!

You also overlook the fact that Madejski has now sold off virtually all the family silver, leaving us with just a bit of worn plate to try to realise some value from.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 29 Sep 2009 13:59

For the record - Rodgers first 9 games at Watford were DLWWLLDLL - 8 points (only one more point than he has at RFC)

Next 9 games WLWWWLWWD - 19 points

I would settle for a repeat.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 29 Sep 2009 14:04

andrew1957 For the record - Rodgers first 9 games at Watford were DLWWLLDLL - 8 points (only one more point than he has at RFC)

If we get 19 points from

29 Sep Preston A Championship - - - -
3 Oct Middlesbrough H Championship - - - -
17 Oct West Brom A Championship - - - -
20 Oct QPR A Championship - - - -
24 Oct Leicester H Championship - - - -
31 Oct Coventry A Championship - - - -
7 Nov Ipswich H Championship - - - -
21 Nov Blackpool H Championship - - - -
28 Nov Derby A Championship - - - -

I will come round your house and wash your car.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 29 Sep 2009 14:04

andrew1957 For the record - Rodgers first 9 games at Watford were DLWWLLDLL - 8 points (only one more point than he has at RFC)

Agree totally - would be a great turnaround (especially bearing in mind our next 4 t or so games)

But what if the squad he inherited at Watford is better than the one he has assembled here?

They appear to be doing ok this season (despite significant departures) without the aid of the cutting edge techniques and theories that Rodgers and his coaching (sic) staff have at their disposal.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 29 Sep 2009 15:01

floyd__streete

If we get 19 points from

My car is very dirty so I will take you up on that offer.

Come on URZZZZZZZZZZZ my car is dirty!

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 29 Sep 2009 22:07

Get your bucket ready Floyd! My car will be really dirty by the end of November.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Sep 2009 22:11

Three teams above us, all teams we drew 0-0 with and perhaps could, or should have beaten.

Ryn

by Ryn » 30 Sep 2009 08:22

floyd__streete
If we get 19 points from

3 down, 16 to go Floyd!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 23 Oct 2009 01:04

Ryn
floyd__streete
If we get 19 points from

3 down, 16 to go Floyd!

Unlucky.

Ryn

by Ryn » 23 Oct 2009 07:15

Floyd's sponge so far remains dry.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Oct 2009 13:58

I'm not convinced we'll manage 10 from that lot if Rodgers stays in charge. 7 points from 5 games is far better than we've managed at any point this season so far.

friday fan

by friday fan » 23 Oct 2009 14:39

when the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea

frimmers

by frimmers » 23 Oct 2009 14:48

we can talk about it at aldershot next season:)

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 23 Oct 2009 16:13

prostak Head vs brick wall time - Can any of the 'Rodgers Out' brigade furnish us with examples of when the short-termism they long for has worked? When has a club consistently achieved or bettered expectations after rapidly changing managers?

Sunderland were promoted after changing managers after just six games and were in the bottom three of the Championship

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 23 Oct 2009 16:15

Franchise FC
prostak Head vs brick wall time - Can any of the 'Rodgers Out' brigade furnish us with examples of when the short-termism they long for has worked? When has a club consistently achieved or bettered expectations after rapidly changing managers?

Sunderland were promoted after changing managers after just six games and were in the bottom three of the Championship

Can hardly draw parallels there. Sunderland actually had a number of decent players.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 23 Oct 2009 16:53

andrew1957 I was a great supporter of Steve Coppell, but by the end of his time here he was clearly drained and had nothing left to give. The team was in free fall when you look at results after January.

Clearly a great deal of change was needed going forwards and Rodgers promised that. Most of us thought he was the right man for the job.

Frankly his start has been disastrous - but any manager deserves at least half a season. In this division even if the worst happens and we are in the relegation zone at Christmas, there is every chance that a new manager will give us a fighting change of survival - so let us not be hasty.

At Watford Rodgers suffered a similar slow start and ended up being respected by the fans. A couple of wins and everything will look rosier.

On balance if he is given half a seaosn I still thing Rodgers will turn the form round and we will be moving up the table.

It is far too early to panic after just 8 games.

I still stand by what I said at the start of the thread but I would now say that as results have been so poor in the last 3 games we need improvement even more quickly than we did. I would set a performance target of at least 11 points off the next 7 games - or 3 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats (or 4 wins will do). That would give us 21 off 20 games.

With the games we have that should be achievable and I think that would show enough improvement to me to think we should persevere with BR until the end of the season. Anything less and his position will become even less tenable.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Oct 2009 17:24

winchester_royal
Franchise FC

Can hardly draw parallels there. Sunderland actually had a number of decent players.

And got in a new manager when it was obvious they needed one.

123 posts