Simon Church

222 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Simon Church

by winchester_royal » 22 Nov 2009 17:06

Alan Partridge
Noel Hunt got what 14 goals last year? Despite missing big chunks of the season with injury. I don't think Hunt is partciularly great but if he was fit he'd be in my side with the current options available alongside Rasiak. He isn't and so Reading have to go and get another forward in.

Rasiak will score more than Church even if he is given half the game time, I have absolutely no doubts about that. Especially as Ian Royal disagrees :lol:

I'm not trying to say that Church is a natural goal scorer, and personally I agree with you RE: Rasiak, however in a 4-3-3 the lone striker has to do more than just be a 'fox in the box', and for a guy his age Church's all round play is fantastic. A bit like Rooney really, Church will never score 20 goals a season, but when he's on a hot streak he'll score plenty just because of the positions he gets in.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 22 Nov 2009 17:06

Ian Royal You're awfully cocky given the situation.

:lol: Rasiak's record at this level is more than decent. He's got 4 already and has been 'shit to ok' :lol:

He will get 10-15 easily. You honestly think Church will get more than th@? Good luck in whoever took the bet!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Nov 2009 17:31

Alan Partridge
Ian Royal You're awfully cocky given the situation.

:lol: Rasiak's record at this level is more than decent. He's got 4 already and has been 'shit to ok' :lol:

He will get 10-15 easily. You honestly think Church will get more than th@? Good luck in whoever took the bet!

I haven't made a bet. I'm not the one saying something will definitely happen. You are. Like I've said several times, we'll see who scores the most at the end of the season. No amount of giving it football analyst extraordinaire makes you right now.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 22 Nov 2009 23:15

Alan Partridge Church worked hard for the cause yesterday on his own but he has all the composure of John McCririck on heroin. Shame he got injured but it affected the result. That they could bring Rasiak on to score the winning goal.

I don't get the John McCririck on heroin analogy :?

... although I admit I may be blinded by my belief that he is going to be another Doyle.

Ryn

by Ryn » 23 Nov 2009 08:41

Church needs to get some shooting practice in and fast. Then he needs to learn where the defensive line is and stay behind it until the ball is played.

I've no doubt he'll get a bit better, but I don't think he will ever have a natural eye for goal, probably expect 10 goals a season out of him, most of them lucky ones or tap ins.

He is still learning but at 20 years old he has been playing football long enough to know where the goal is, it's usually the all round game that young players have to build on, not the essentials.

More games with an old hat like Rasiak will help him, but with no other options at this time I'm worried where the goals are going to come from.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 10 Feb 2010 11:31

How does he still get a game? Is he really better than what we have available? He had a great one on one last night and he didn't make the keeper work. Bearing in mind that scoring goals has been a problem all season, can we afford to keep playing him?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Feb 2010 18:05

Terminal Boardom How does he still get a game? Is he really better than what we have available? He had a great one on one last night and he didn't make the keeper work. Bearing in mind that scoring goals has been a problem all season, can we afford to keep playing him?

Perhaps his workrate makes chances for others, if that's the case I'd be happy for him to keep playing. Lets face, Long's the hero of the hour and he's missed some absolute sitters in his time ... not even that long ago in fact.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 10 Feb 2010 18:55

I honestly think most of you lot are way of your heads regarding the expectations of our young striker. You've probably seen a few good young premiership strikers and thought to yourselves why isn't church playing like that. Regardless of how long he's been or well he's done in the academy, league football is so much harder. I remember Neil Mellor banging in 50 goals a season for Liverpool's academy and ressies with ease. He then never made the grade and is playing for Preston. Erik Nevland had the same situation at Manchester Utd and had to ply his trade in Norway before moving to Fulham. You can take Rooney for example, He has only started to mature at 24 and is already on 21 goals. Prior to this he was only managing between 10-15. More to the point, Church has a good all round game and will get better. His composure, provided he works on it, will get better with age and that will only help him improve his finishing. Give him time and im sure we'll reap the rewards.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Feb 2010 19:03

Plymouth_Royal I honestly think most of you lot are way of your heads regarding the expectations of our young striker. You've probably seen a few good young premiership strikers and thought to yourselves why isn't church playing like that. Regardless of how long he's been or well he's done in the academy, league football is so much harder. I remember Neil Mellor banging in 50 goals a season for Liverpool's academy and ressies with ease. He then never made the grade and is playing for Preston. Erik Nevland had the same situation at Manchester Utd and had to ply his trade in Norway before moving to Fulham. You can take Rooney for example, He has only started to mature at 24 and is already on 21 goals. Prior to this he was only managing between 10-15. More to the point, Church has a good all round game and will get better. His composure, provided he works on it, will get better with age and that will only help him improve his finishing. Give him time and im sure we'll reap the rewards.

:shock:
ONLY !!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Feb 2010 19:04

Plymouth_Royal I honestly think most of you lot are way of your heads regarding the expectations of our young striker. You've probably seen a few good young premiership strikers and thought to yourselves why isn't church playing like that. Regardless of how long he's been or well he's done in the academy, league football is so much harder. I remember Neil Mellor banging in 50 goals a season for Liverpool's academy and ressies with ease. He then never made the grade and is playing for Preston. Erik Nevland had the same situation at Manchester Utd and had to ply his trade in Norway before moving to Fulham. You can take Rooney for example, He has only started to mature at 24 and is already on 21 goals. Prior to this he was only managing between 10-15. More to the point, Church has a good all round game and will get better. His composure, provided he works on it, will get better with age and that will only help him improve his finishing. Give him time and im sure we'll reap the rewards.

I think Church might benefit from going to a Conference or League Two club for a season or 6 months. He could get a good club who'd be delighted to have him. It's clearly below the level he is capable of playing at, but it's physical and real football. He needs a season somewhere banging in the goals to get his eye in and get that scoring touch, which he's never really seemed to have.

two of his five goals have gone in off him, not been shots

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 10 Feb 2010 19:08

If he hasn't got a goal in the next 3 starts though...

I'm a great believer in having to play your strikers into form... look at what's happened with Long. But Church has been in there for so long now. I suppose even players like Doyle have long spells without hitting the net, but Church isn't even hitting the target or getting off any decent attempts.

I really hope he finds the net soon, but I'm starting to think it may be getting to the point where we should give Church some less time on the pitch and to give Thor some more. If and when he's ready to play regularly that is...

Not writing Church off, but just starting to worry a bit about his overall contribution, given the main aim of strikers is to score. Still he seems to net in the Cup doesn't he, so maybe he's waiting for Saturday to give us another shin pad special?!?

PS I'm surprised at you Ian, backing Church over Rasiak... I thought you backed Rasiak over Long a while back? (sorry if i've got that wrong)

Not having a pop, but just surprised you don't favour Rasiak over Church.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Feb 2010 19:34

Rasiak has a better scoring record and offers something different, so I'm a little surprised he isn't playing. I actually think he and Long may make a decent partnership. Church has a much better workrate and all round (non-scoring) game. Thor seemed to work quite well with Long in their one match together and the snippets I've seen have impressed me.

Basically of the 4 I don't care who starts that much at the moment, as long as they contribute.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 10 Feb 2010 19:48

Ian Royal Rasiak has a better scoring record and offers something different, so I'm a little surprised he isn't playing. I actually think he and Long may make a decent partnership. Church has a much better workrate and all round (non-scoring) game. Thor seemed to work quite well with Long in their one match together and the snippets I've seen have impressed me.

Basically of the 4 I don't care who starts that much at the moment, as long as they contribute.

Yeah that's the way i'm getting about it except that I think Long should be one of the two who starts, he's playing well and getting goals. But not sure who I favour after that now, the longer Church goes without a goal the more willing I am to turn a blind-eye to Rasiak's laboured style! To be fair the last time Rasiak played he put himself about a lot more...

I know McD said he'll choose the strikers based on what's appropriate for the game in question, but if it was me, and IF I was thinking about dropping Church, which I would be starting to do round about now, I'd probably plump for Thor first. Just to see what we can get out of him.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 10 Feb 2010 19:54

Jeez guys its his first full season at this level and he hasn't done badly at all.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Feb 2010 13:52

Ian Royal
Terminal Boardom How does he still get a game? Is he really better than what we have available? He had a great one on one last night and he didn't make the keeper work. Bearing in mind that scoring goals has been a problem all season, can we afford to keep playing him?

Perhaps his workrate makes chances for others, if that's the case I'd be happy for him to keep playing. Lets face, Long's the hero of the hour and he's missed some absolute sitters in his time ... not even that long ago in fact.

About as long ago as Tuesday!

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 11 Feb 2010 13:55

PEARCEY Jeez guys its his first full season at this level and he hasn't done badly at all.

This ^^^^

pace=forster

by pace=forster » 11 Feb 2010 14:00

I thought he was doing alrite personally but clearly not............

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 11 Feb 2010 14:10

He is... and he isn't.

He's probably trying too hard because he's not scoring. I like him for his work rate, closing down, some neat touches and good running, and getting himself into some great shooting opportunities.

But he wastes all his chances, and it's the manner in which they're wasted which worries me, a lot of his shooting is wayward or weak.

I like to see the young players getting their opportunities and hope to see them grow, and as I've said elsewhere I think you need to play strikers into form, but at some point you have to give up and give them some time out so they can come back and give it another go, maybe after knocking some goals in for the reserves - not entirely sure we've reached that point yet, but the fact that so many are raising this issue suggests to me that the time will surely come if he doesn't find the back of the net soon.

Hopefully he will do. He's obviously got it in him, to be rated so highly by Coppell, Rodgers and McDermott (and Wales too)

zummerset

by zummerset » 11 Feb 2010 14:12

Church gets into great positions but he fluffs the shot. He needs some pressure at training to put him in the zone and execute the shot (on target ought to be a minimum).

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Feb 2010 14:26

Ian Royal I think Church might benefit from going to a Conference or League Two club for a season or 6 months. He could get a good club who'd be delighted to have him. It's clearly below the level he is capable of playing at, but it's physical and real football. He needs a season somewhere banging in the goals to get his eye in and get that scoring touch, which he's never really seemed to have.

two of his five goals have gone in off him, not been shots

He's just not a goalscorer, never has been from what I remember.

He performs a role and does a job for the team but, a bit like a Heskey or a Mark Hughes at times, he just isn't going to score many goals.

He's had loan spells in the lower leagues and not scored. There isn't much point in him playing at a level miles below his standard just to score goals as he won't be learning anything and stepping back up will then again be a readjustment.

We just have to accept that he isn't a prolific scorer.

222 posts