Get some perspective

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: Get some perspective

by Platypuss » 12 Dec 2009 03:24

Anyone else find it slightly risible to be told to "get some perspective" by someone who singularly failed to do so in the previous two seasons?

midfield diamond

by midfield diamond » 12 Dec 2009 12:28

Victor Meldrew What gets me is that we aren't playing the youngsters.
If that is our future then play them ffs.
Last Tuesday just ONE of the much-vaunted younger players started the game.
What fans find difficult to take is the constant failure of many of the older players-they are not very good.
BTW our "youngsters" really aren't very young when you look at other teams blooding 17 or 18 year-olds when ours tend to be 21 and the manager doesn't play them because they lack experience.

I'm not sure what perspective Andrew wants us to get-his buying into the "Rodgers is a manager that will lead us back to the Premiership"claptrap is naiive to say the least.
The bloke has done so little in football and yet for some reason Andrew you expect us to have blind faith in the man-have you ever seen "Life of Brian"? (I'm not talking of Brian Clough here).

We were asked to judge the manager after 10 games,then 15,then 20 and my judgement now FWIW is that the club should seriously be looking at a different option and the assumption that nobody else can do a better job with the same players is just nonsense -look at Barnsley's turnaround and I wouldn't be surprised to see Plymouth's fortunes improve now that they have changed the man at the helm.
Likewise the same may well happen at Wednesday and Coventry if and when their managers get the push so it might prove difficult for us to find 3 worse teams come the end of the season.

A rather rambling post after a rather long week I'm afraid but I am far from convinced that the club has any direction on and off the pitch (notes to players indeed-were they written in English,Icelandic or French?) so I find it very hard to have the kind of perspective that Andrew goes on about.

Spot on about the youngsters. Brenda periodically makes reference to his 'youthful' team, as an excuse for inconsistencies, but the reality is that only a couple of younger players now feature regularly and the rest of them, with one or two exceptions, probably never will.

As for the notes Brenda only speaks Irish blarney, spainish & is learning Italian. However french needs to be added urgently in the vain hope that Kebe understands what he's supposed to be doing.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 12 Dec 2009 12:29

Southbank Old Boy
ZacNaloen
Southbank Old Boy Bollocks they do, he nicked the idea from his mentor Jose and I dont see anyone else doing it

They still cocked it up though as Tabb went to play left back to start with

It's odd then how I've seen it so many times, and even from Coppell on occasion :|

When?

I never figured it would come up in discussion :| , I really can't remember specific occasions. I just remember it happening.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Dec 2009 18:35

andrew1957 Please get some perspective.

Rodgers came to the club at a difficult time. The owner - perhaps understandably as he clearly has money issues - has decided no more money will be put into the club. He has looked for a billionaire owner but cannot find one, so has decided that the club has to sink or swim on its own. We are still in a better shape financially than many Championship clubs and this season's relegation may well come down to how many clubs have to go into administration before the end of the season.

OMG. Poor old Madejski, money issues! It must be so worrying being down to his last odd £50M or so!! Why can't he find a buyer? Probably because the self-centred, self-interested old git only wants to sell at his price and on his terms. He's either too far up his own anus or so stupid that he doesn't realise the club is probably worth the square root of f*ck all following his cloth cutting, and that will be even more the case if he wants to keep his name plastered all over it. And you can forget being saved by other clubs going into administration. The Watford story was a clever game by Russo to get Ashcroft to commit some money and it looks like it is going to work.

Two years ago we were beating Liverpool. What a contrast! And there is just one man responsible for that rapid and appalling decline: John - I can single-handedly buck the economics of professional football - Madejski.

Still, no doubt his disciples will continue to bow to the great man when they are rattling around in a virtually empty stadium bearing his name, whilst watching a poor team battling for League One survival.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 12 Dec 2009 18:46

This thread will be needed once again I fear.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Dec 2009 18:51

Here is some perspective.

DLDLWDLLDWLLLLWDWLWLD = 21 points in 21 games. = 1 point per game = 46 points over a season = relegation. Rodgers has now had half a season and he's only managed to turn his form around to almost certain relegation, as opposed to almost certainly bottom.

How much longer do you want to give him to take us down? Do you think we're going to even manage to have 1 point per game by the time we hit the halfway point? I don't.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 12 Dec 2009 18:53

Ian Royal Here is some perspective.

DLDLWDLLDWLLLLWDWLWLD = 21 points in 21 games. = 1 point per game = 46 points over a season = relegation. Rodgers has now had half a season and he's only managed to turn his form around to almost certain relegation, as opposed to almost certainly bottom.

How much longer do you want to give him to take us down? Do you think we're going to even manage to have 1 point per game by the time we hit the halfway point? I don't.

Umm.....21st place =/= relegation. HTH.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Dec 2009 18:55

winchester_royal
Ian Royal Here is some perspective.

Umm.....20th place =/= relegation. HTH.

Yes, that's true, end the season today and we're safe.

We won't stay in 20th for long at this rate. In fact we're quite likely to be back in the bottom three in the next couple of games.

Wanna come back and preach your optimism then?

Hell we've slipped a place in the time it took me to respond!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 12 Dec 2009 18:57

Sorry IR, but you can't take our form so far, then apply it to the rest of the season, without doing the same for the other teams, and they say it's relegation form.

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 12 Dec 2009 18:57

There are at least 3 worse teams in this league than us.

They are :

Plymouth
Peterborough
Sheffield Wednesday

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Dec 2009 18:58

winchester_royal Sorry IR, but you can't take our form so far, then apply it to the rest of the season, without doing the same for the other teams, and they say it's relegation form.

I think you'll find I just did.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 12 Dec 2009 19:00

Ian Royal
winchester_royal Sorry IR, but you can't take our form so far, then apply it to the rest of the season, without doing the same for the other teams, and they say it's relegation form.

Teams at the bottom will often pick up later in the season. They will have less than half their points at the halfway point, if you get what I mean. This is because at the end of the season it all starts mattering so much more to them. We'd better hope we do the same, but 1 blip over 6 games or so is hardly compelling evidence.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 12 Dec 2009 19:01

Ian Royal

Ohhhh, get you.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Dec 2009 19:05

rhroyal
Ian Royal

Teams at the bottom will often pick up later in the season. They will have less than half their points at the halfway point, if you get what I mean. This is because at the end of the season it all starts mattering so much more to them. We'd better hope we do the same, but 1 blip over 6 games or so is hardly compelling evidence.

Exactly, we're already seeing Ipswich continuing to improve and go above us. Plymouth have a game in hand. Wednesday were better than us at the start of the season, no reason to believe they can't recover like Barnsley did by sacking their manager. Plymouth have had a change at the top which might bring them round.

Hell, even Peterborough were good enough to turn us over.

Our revival has seen us fail to get anywhere and still be in relegation form.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 12 Dec 2009 19:10

Ideal
1871 Royal There are at least 3 worse teams in this league than us.

We've all heard that one before. Do you remember what happened then?

No, do tell.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 12 Dec 2009 19:46

Nice to see you keeping to your guns and not swingin from one view to another on the back off one or two results :roll:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Dec 2009 19:55

Southbank Old Boy Nice to see you keeping to your guns and not swingin from one view to another on the back off one or two results :roll:

Same criticisms being used as always.