Rodgers: The 'Truth'

207 posts
glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

Re: Rodgers: The 'Truth'

by glass half full » 27 Dec 2009 14:44

facaldaqui There's more to it than that. Madejski had to decide whether he thought Rodgers was up to the job, and he realised he wasn't. Six months is enough time to work that out. In that case, you have to act sooner rather than later.

NB: I don't want Hoddle anywhere near our club.

+1

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 27 Dec 2009 16:04

facaldaqui There's more to it than that. Madejski had to decide whether he thought Rodgers was up to the job, and he realised he wasn't. Six months is enough time to work that out. In that case, you have to act sooner rather than later.

We're not in the postition to be snobs.

Ex-England manager with proven pedigree >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anyone else we could even hope of getting.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 27 Dec 2009 16:05

winchester_royal

Ex-England manager with proven pedigree >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anyone else we could even hope of getting.

Best we start praying - either that'll work or it'll prepare us for the new regime !! :wink:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 27 Dec 2009 16:08

Franchise FC
winchester_royal

Best we start praying - either that'll work or it'll prepare us for the new regime !! :wink:

Perhaps 20,000 home fans chanting the lord's prayer may well be just what we need to turn around our home form..... :wink:

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 27 Dec 2009 16:13

winchester_royal
Franchise FC
winchester_royal quote="facaldaqui" There's more to it than that. Madejski had to decide whether he thought Rodgers was up to the job, and he realised he wasn't. Six months is enough time to work that out. In that case, you have to act sooner rather than later.

NB: I don't want Hoddle anywhere near our club. /quote

Perhaps 20,000 home fans chanting the lord's prayer may well be just what we need to turn around our home form..... :wink:

Surely (according to some) we've already been delivered from evil

or ...

Our Steve, who art in retirement
Hallowed be his name

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 27 Dec 2009 16:56

You're overestimating Hoddle's orthodoxy. He's into healing and karma, so we might need to wear orange sheets.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 27 Dec 2009 17:10

Clough only had 44 days.....................

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 27 Dec 2009 17:26

I bet BR would love a film based on him.

Obviously have to be a world class actor playing the lead.

Have to be one hell of a director to capture Dean Austin's charisma though...

JR

by JR » 27 Dec 2009 20:47

Man Friday
JR Sacking Rodgers was so shortsighted and foolish.

I am not saying he was doing everything right, far from it, but those of us who were going home and away and who appreciate football and the need to build over time were seeing a gradual improvement that would have seen us comfortably in mid table.

I think it is disgraceful that the board gave him a long term project and then took that away without giving him a proper chance to prove himself.

The minute they sacked rodgers our chances of relegation increased. For the first time this season i am worried about relegation and unless the board act decisvely and appoint the right man we are in grave danger of going down. In my opinion we were never going down with rodgers.

It makes you wonder whether those who made the decision watch the home and away matches properly and understand the game.

West Brom. QPR (worst performance of the decade by a Reading "team"). Crystal Palace. Scunthorpe. Oh, I think they do.

West Brom and QPR yes - but he turned it around following those games.

Cystal Palace was an average performance that was worth of a draw - Is it Rodgers fault that Federici made two howlers that cost us the game?

Scunthorpe - we destroyed them and on another day would have won 6-1. How anyone can sack a manager after that level of performance, shows they look at the result only rather than understand the game itself.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Dec 2009 20:57

JR
Man Friday
JR Sacking Rodgers was so shortsighted and foolish.

I am not saying he was doing everything right, far from it, but those of us who were going home and away and who appreciate football and the need to build over time were seeing a gradual improvement that would have seen us comfortably in mid table.

I think it is disgraceful that the board gave him a long term project and then took that away without giving him a proper chance to prove himself.

The minute they sacked rodgers our chances of relegation increased. For the first time this season i am worried about relegation and unless the board act decisvely and appoint the right man we are in grave danger of going down. In my opinion we were never going down with rodgers.

It makes you wonder whether those who made the decision watch the home and away matches properly and understand the game.

West Brom. QPR (worst performance of the decade by a Reading "team"). Crystal Palace. Scunthorpe. Oh, I think they do.

West Brom and QPR yes - but he turned it around following those games.

Cystal Palace was an average performance that was worth of a draw - Is it Rodgers fault that Federici made two howlers that cost us the game?

Scunthorpe - we destroyed them and on another day would have won 6-1. How anyone can sack a manager after that level of performance, shows they look at the result only rather than understand the game itself.

here's a thought. Perhaps someone thought that playing well involved putting away your chances. Or waht about not gifting 3 or 4 easy chances to the opposition each game.

Rodgers did indeed improve us after QPR, but we couldn't have got any worse, and he STILL didn't have us picking up results, with no real sign of that improving without signings. And why trust him with those when he took a squad that should have just about mid-table made 7 signings and let a few leave become near relegation certainties...

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 27 Dec 2009 21:19

Ian Royal . Perhaps someone thought that playing well involved putting away your chances. Or waht about not gifting 3 or 4 easy chances to the opposition each game.

Two different things (although sometimes related).

You can obviously play well and not put away any chances. Like you can play well and still concede goals. You would hope that playing well would mean you create more chances.

But you get no points for playing well. In league terms points come before performances and I doubt many managers get sacked for producing an ugly teams that wins games, whilst many lose their job becasue their technically pretty team is lacking in one area of the game 9winning !)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Dec 2009 21:29

Sun Tzu
Ian Royal . Perhaps someone thought that playing well involved putting away your chances. Or waht about not gifting 3 or 4 easy chances to the opposition each game.

You can obviously play well and not put away any chances. Like you can play well and still concede goals. You would hope that playing well would mean you create more chances.

But you get no points for playing well. In league terms points come before performances and I doubt many managers get sacked for producing an ugly teams that wins games, whilst many lose their job becasue their technically pretty team is lacking in one area of the game 9winning !)

I'd suggest that consistently creating but being incapable of putting away your chances is an indication you aren't playing well. As is consistently giving away easy chances.

In one or two games, it could be put down to an off day or bad luck. But we've been doing it for a couple of months. And that's only as long as we've actually been consistently creating chances. I'd say that's not putting in good performances.

There's promise there. But we ain't there yet and won't be until we get Church & Rasiak fit and playing consistently again, and have a back up striker with a modicum of talent on the bench. Or a striker better than one of Church or Rasiak comes in with one of them on the bench.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 27 Dec 2009 21:38

Ian Royal
Sun Tzu

I'd suggest that consistently creating but being incapable of putting away your chances is an indication you aren't playing well. As is consistently giving away easy chances.

We're kind of disgareeing then (which is fine ). Consistently creating chances suggests you aren;t playing too badly. Not converting them suggests a bit of fine tuning is needed in one aspect of the game but it doesn't mean any good stuff you are doing is totally invalidated. However well you play if you don't get the results it is a bit pointless (literally and figuratively). It's a very fine line we tread, and a foot here and there over recent weeks and we'd be a mid table side. But we aren't.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Dec 2009 21:52

Yep, looks like we're disagreeing. Recently (not so much the last few games, it's backslid a little IMO) our midfield problems have been mostly solved and we've created well.

Our striking and defending problems remain. It's not good enough (or playing well) to perform well in only one of the three areas of play.

There is something to build on there. But it doesn't look a great deal like being solved without changes to the defence and an attacking signing. Or replacing one or two of our midfielders with better goalscorers... like, er Davies, or possibly Henry. Both have a good eye for goal, although there are question marks about their ability at this level.

If Henry and Davies could prove themselves at this level a midfield of:

Henry, Davies, Karacan, Siggurdsson, McAnuff

Wouldn't need two strikers. Because Davies, Sig and Henry would be capable of about 10 each a season.

Sir Rodger Doyle

by Sir Rodger Doyle » 27 Dec 2009 22:53

I have to say I still can't see the logic in it all. I think many on here would concede that performances and results were improving. If that is the case then how can they sack him based on results? He must have outlined his January transfer targets based upon the deficiencies he knew there were in the team. I could understand it more if they had a new manager lined up, but it seems that the noises being made by the club at the moment indicate that Brian McDermott is set to get the job for the forseeable future. Could it be that Brian has been told that he can keep the job if he does not buy anyone in January? We could at least drag the process out beyond the end of the transfer window. I can't get away from the fact that the desicions made by the club in the last couple of weeks and, potentially those in the next four are purely financial and have nothing to do with football.

I think that while we now seem to be splitting into pro and anti Rogers factions, with the "anti" Rogers brigade now creaming themselves with delight, the wool is being pulled over our eyes.
Last edited by Sir Rodger Doyle on 29 Dec 2009 02:10, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 27 Dec 2009 23:18

it is a win win for the boardroom at the moment

Nobody expects anything from MaccyD, if he proves to be a "hit" with the fans and the team thrive. job done..... on < Brendans wage which was considerably < than Coppells wage.

If all else fails, then one or two cheap and cheerful managers will be available mid-term 2010 to pacify the fans and not upset the "suited financial ones".

Maybe Roj/Lamps and Austin were contracted to get so many points after so many games.....they didn't...............hence their apparent lack of compo on departure

Whatever..................... its football

MaccyD 2 games ........no wins.............no defeats...........no comment

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 27 Dec 2009 23:36

Build a bridge.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 28 Dec 2009 00:05

How many people realistically decided on sacking BR?

Nigel Howe turned up drunk one day and convinced JM to do it? It would have gone through several consultations, some external I'm sure. Even more so when you consider how many managers RFC have 'sacked' during JM's tenure - he is not trigger happy. He would have taken some serious convincing, especially considering what he shelled out in compo to Watford

I have 100% total confidence in the decision, given the experience the club had with being patient with TB1/2 and all of the above

We will come out of it better than if BR stayed

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 28 Jan 2010 00:01

Right, this is the first of a couple of old threads I am going to dig up in the search for answers - the next will be our financial situation. Apologies to those who consider it old news but I have surprised myself at how fed up I am at the whole situation and would love someone to shed some light on what I perceive to be very strange circumstances...

WHAT I BELIEVE TO BE TRUE

Rodgers was very highly regarded by Reading FC before he was head-hunted by Mourinho, he was credited for implementing the diamand midfield for Chelsea and was begged to stay by Scolari before being, yet again, headhunted by Watford. He was a huge hit in his short time at Watford and is, you guessed it, head-hunted by his dream job Reading

Players everywhere he went admired his ability; Tommy Smith wanted to go 'wherever Rodgers was', O'Dea calls him 'a great manager' who 'taught him a lot' even though Rodgers didn't play him!The list does actually go on...

Readings board forced the sale of £12m worth of players (Doyle, Hunt, Lita and Bikey) on a squad already in desperate need of better players while allowing the signing of less than 3m (Mills, McAnuff, Raziak and Cummings) - but the major failure was boards failure to sign Tommy Smith after playing silly buggers with Watford (again)

I know Rodgers made some HUGE mistakes (Cummings, changing the team so often, talking big too soon, varying the tactics so often) but it seemed obvious to me that a) he was going to get it right in the end and b)his side was doing everything but score

PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME, WHY OH WHY DID MADEJSKI SACK RODGERS WITH NO REPLACEMENT IN MIND IF IT WASN'T DUE TO SOME KIND OF 6 MONTH PROBATION COST CUTTING SCHEME?? IT SEEMS SERIOUSLY FISHY :x

Sir Rodger Doyle

by Sir Rodger Doyle » 28 Jan 2010 00:10

PistolPete Right, this is the first of a couple of old threads I am going to dig up in the search for answers - the next will be our financial situation. Apologies to those who consider it old news but I have surprised myself at how fed up I am at the whole situation and would love someone to shed some light on what I perceive to be very strange circumstances...

WHAT I BELIEVE TO BE TRUE

Rodgers was very highly regarded by Reading FC before he was head-hunted by Mourinho, he was credited for implementing the diamand midfield for Chelsea and was begged to stay by Scolari before being, yet again, headhunted by Watford. He was a huge hit in his short time at Watford and is, you guessed it, head-hunted by his dream job Reading

Players everywhere he went admired his ability; Tommy Smith wanted to go 'wherever Rodgers was', O'Dea calls him 'a great manager' who 'taught him a lot' even though Rodgers didn't play him!The list does actually go on...

Readings board forced the sale of £12m worth of players (Doyle, Hunt, Lita and Bikey) on a squad already in desperate need of better players while allowing the signing of less than 3m (Mills, McAnuff, Raziak and Cummings) - but the major failure was boards failure to sign Tommy Smith after playing silly buggers with Watford (again)

I know Rodgers made some HUGE mistakes (Cummings, changing the team so often, talking big too soon, varying the tactics so often) but it seemed obvious to me that a) he was going to get it right in the end and b)his side was doing everything but score

PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME, WHY OH WHY DID MADEJSKI SACK RODGERS WITH NO REPLACEMENT IN MIND IF IT WASN'T DUE TO SOME KIND OF 6 MONTH PROBATION COST CUTTING SCHEME?? IT SEEMS SERIOUSLY FISHY :x

Careful there Pete, you are far too close to the truth for comfort. You may well find that this post is deleted in the morning!

207 posts