Highlights on TV in 10 minutes.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Highlights on TV in 10 minutes.

by SLAMMED » 25 Feb 2010 17:14

BF11 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6O7CUKCP

For anyone who wants to download the whole 4 minutes of highlights.

I'm not sure my laptop could hold such a large file.

Half Horse
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Half Horse » 25 Feb 2010 17:25

Dirk Gently Good luck with that one, but expect a glib auto-reply.

I hate to name drop, but I personally have told the CEO of The FA that the vast majority of football supporters hate the standard of football coverage delivered by ITV. In fairness to him, this particular contract was signed before he arrived, but even taking that into account, the simple fact is that The FA need to maximise their revenue so will go for the highest bidder for terrestrial rights.

If anyone needs to be blamed, I'll give you two likely candidates :

- Ken Bates, for completely screwing up the Wembley project with the result that The FA is on such financial straights,
- The numptie at the BBC who decided they'd commit most of their budget for live sports coverage bringing Formula 1 back to the Beeb. The end result is that ITV bid more and got the contract.

PS - I think you're also misunderstanding the business model of ITV. Their role in life is not in producing TV programmes that their audience want to watch, as most people think. Their whole business is actually about delivering viewers to their advertisers, which is a subtly different thing. Sadly, that means it's not the content that matters, it's how it can be sold, and a PL team full of expensive stars getting beaten will always be a bigger draw than a match with two CCC side, no matter how exciting. They want to get the mass of "neutrals" who want to watch names they know - not the relatively few who are interested in these particular teams and who probably already know the score.

Your final paragraph is spot on. ITV are a profit making organisation who wish to maximise the number of viewers who watch the adverts. Having people turn off because two virtually unknown teams (as far as the armchair Chelsea/Arsenal/Man U etc fans are concerned) are playing is a commercial disaster, therefore the bigger teams and bigger names will always get more coverage.

Think you're being a little presumptuous though when you claim to speak for the vast majority of football supporters. Have you canvassed them all? :wink:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Feb 2010 17:35

Half Horse Think you're being a little presumptuous though when you claim to speak for the vast majority of football supporters. Have you canvassed them all? :wink:

Not individually, but I do spend a lot of my time trying to follow trends amongst supporters and to understand their opinions. So I do talk with an awful lot of them, as well as keeping up with research papers etc.

Suffice it to say I've never met a football supporter who's said "ITV's coverage is brilliant" but I've met hundreds who've said "ITV's coverage is absolute crap" and I've extrapolated from there.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 25 Feb 2010 18:01

Steve Coppell seems to have done well out of ITV in the FA cup... Another visit on the 7th March for the Villa game?

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 25 Feb 2010 18:35

BBC have promised me they will be making a big deal of this in this evenings local news show, to make up for forgetting to mention it this morning.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 25 Feb 2010 18:41

4? or 2 mins 18 seconds?

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 25 Feb 2010 19:10

Who was that gurning fool forecasting a 7-0 win on the Beeb?

"Well you gotta dream haven't you?"

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 25 Feb 2010 19:13

That Friday Feeling Who was that gurning fool forecasting a 7-0 win on the Beeb?

"Well you gotta dream haven't you?"

They showed the same highlights, but with Berks commentary, and they did a miles better job at presenting the highlights than shITV did last night.

Still Hate Futcher!

by Still Hate Futcher! » 26 Feb 2010 14:29

I was so disappointed/angry at ITV's pathetic coverage on Wednesday. It was a disgrace - they couldn't even get the kick off time right for our Quarter Final! W@nkers!

I really don't think they can justify our pathetic highlights on the basis of us and WBA being little clubs. There are 92 sides in the football league (or 91 if Pompey go under as they deserve) and ITV seem to think that the public are only interested in half a dozen of them. There are plenty of followers of those sides in the bottom half of the Prem and those in the other 3 divisons, Conference etc who don't give a toss about the big 4, Man City etc.

We have ITV cameras at the Mad Stad next week and I reckon we should make it clear what we think of them. I'd rather Ch 5 had the FA Cup rights!

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 26 Feb 2010 14:32

Still Hate Futcher! I was so disappointed/angry at ITV's pathetic coverage on Wednesday. It was a disgrace - they couldn't even get the kick off time right for our Quarter Final! W@nkers!

I really don't think they can justify our pathetic highlights on the basis of us and WBA being little clubs. There are 92 sides in the football league (or 91 if Pompey go under as they deserve) and ITV seem to think that the public are only interested in half a dozen of them. There are plenty of followers of those sides in the bottom half of the Prem and those in the other 3 divisons, Conference etc who don't give a toss about the big 4, Man City etc.

We have ITV cameras at the Mad Stad next week and I reckon we should make it clear what we think of them. I'd rather Ch 5 had the FA Cup rights!

I'd love to have a banner at the ground, but I fear it will be wasted as they just will make sure the cameras don't pick it up.

The way to do it is for someone to make a huge sheet banner and have it pinned up somewhere behind the goal (low down). But then I suspect the club will make sure it's taken down.

Still Hate Futcher!

by Still Hate Futcher! » 26 Feb 2010 14:35

[quote="Rawlie19 I'd love to have a banner at the ground, but I fear it will be wasted as they just will make sure the cameras don't pick it up.

The way to do it is for someone to make a huge sheet banner and have it pinned up somewhere behind the goal (low down). But then I suspect the club will make sure it's taken down.[/quote]

Some abusive chants would be harder to hide.

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 26 Feb 2010 16:42

Appreciate the effort you took to upload this. For those of use that are geographically (and proxy) challenged, any clips are better than none. For what it's worth to anyone, this file required the xvid codec.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 26 Feb 2010 16:54

isn't the name of this thread a bit out of date now... or are we on ITV all day at 10 minute intervals...

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 01 Mar 2010 11:57

I see on the ReadingPlayer website they've put footage of all our goals. From every angle available. There are at least 7 different angles for all 3 goals. Quality to watch. Plus, right at the end they show the only footage available of the Jobi incident. You can see the WBA thug kick the ball directly into Jobi's back as he's celebrating, then Jobi turns around and says something to Thug who looks incredulous and as Jobi gets closer you see Thug either punch him or push him in the throat and Jobi stagger backwards... Then the camera pans away from that into the supporters so that's all we see... Hard to see how we can't appeal and show them that footage. Outragous that it happened at all.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 01 Mar 2010 14:19

Rawlie19 I see on the ReadingPlayer website they've put footage of all our goals. From every angle available. There are at least 7 different angles for all 3 goals. Quality to watch. Plus, right at the end they show the only footage available of the Jobi incident. You can see the WBA thug kick the ball directly into Jobi's back as he's celebrating, then Jobi turns around and says something to Thug who looks incredulous and as Jobi gets closer you see Thug either punch him or push him in the throat and Jobi stagger backwards... Then the camera pans away from that into the supporters so that's all we see... Hard to see how we can't appeal and show them that footage. Outragous that it happened at all.

link?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 01 Mar 2010 14:40

Rawlie19 I see on the ReadingPlayer website they've put footage of all our goals. From every angle available. There are at least 7 different angles for all 3 goals. Quality to watch. Plus, right at the end they show the only footage available of the Jobi incident. You can see the WBA thug kick the ball directly into Jobi's back as he's celebrating, then Jobi turns around and says something to Thug who looks incredulous and as Jobi gets closer you see Thug either punch him or push him in the throat and Jobi stagger backwards... Then the camera pans away from that into the supporters so that's all we see... Hard to see how we can't appeal and show them that footage. Outragous that it happened at all.

But that doesn't clear Jobi of violent conduct, it just shows the reason why he was violent, but provocation isn't really grounds for appeal. The best we can hope for is that Malumba gets banned as well, but it doesn't help us or Jobi.