Back from the Game: West Bromwich Albion

154 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Back from the Game: West Bromwich Albion

by Ian Royal » 28 Mar 2010 14:55

Don't see the point in getting my nickers in a twist about it really. They're catering to a very diverse audience which lets face it, HNA? isn't particularly representative of. It's always going to be simplistic coverage.

If you want to see decent highlights of the game sign up to Reading Player which usually gives at least 2-3 minutes worth if not more. The BBC show is a goalshow with a bit of simplistic analysis and the odd extra bit of highlights on top.

The persecution complex on display here frightens me a little.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 28 Mar 2010 15:04

AthleticoSpizz As George Dawes once said....It is showing how far we have come if you are disapointed about only drawing at home to Bromwich

Agree with that, felt like we'd lost on the walk home. Can't fault the lads for effort however, thought Howard was all over the pitch, best game in a Reading shirt, Gunnar too, filled the Tabb shaped hole very nicely. Once again however, we could have been out of sight by half time if Sig had scored the second, and more so in the second half when Church and Kebe missed. I feel its 2 points dropped rather than 1 point gained IMHO, despite being happy with a draw before the game.

Jeffers217

by Jeffers217 » 28 Mar 2010 15:28

Whoever said we outplayed them is biased and full of total rubbish- West Brom are a class act and it was a quality equal game with a draw being the fairest result. What was pleasing was seeing how far we've come- I went to the 3-1 defeat at the Hawthorns in october and we were OUTCLASSED whereas we matched them yday. However I think yday highlighted the fact that we STILL need to sign a prolific striker who knows where the net is as we had plenty of chances yday to finish the game off. Must be a priority in the summer.

The best players were the 2 centre backs and i am happy Ivar's injured because Kish is a LOT better, Ivar you are a legend but time up

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 28 Mar 2010 15:38

Jeffers217 Whoever said we outplayed them is biased and full of total rubbish- West Brom are a class act and it was a quality equal game with a draw being the fairest result. What was pleasing was seeing how far we've come- I went to the 3-1 defeat at the Hawthorns in october and we were OUTCLASSED whereas we matched them yday. However I think yday highlighted the fact that we STILL need to sign a prolific striker who knows where the net is as we had plenty of chances yday to finish the game off. Must be a priority in the summer.

The best players were the 2 centre backs and i am happy Ivar's injured because Kish is a LOT better, Ivar you are a legend but time up

I agree. We were unlucky not to win. However West Brom would have been unlucky to lose. They played their part in a very good game. Our lot had to work bloody hard to keep them at bay in the second-half.
I think our strikers get a hard time on HNA. They were poor at the start of the season but are doing considerably better now.
As for our centre-backs both Mills and Kish were terrific yesterday. Mills also has the makings of a very good captain. He set a great example yesterday.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Mar 2010 15:44

Sounds like a classic game between two good attacking sides who didn't have the cutting edge / lucky break that they needed to make the game theirs.

Cookie

by Cookie » 28 Mar 2010 15:53

They had some really good players. Griffin had his hands full with their left winger Thomas and the Sidwell look-alike in midfield was class.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 28 Mar 2010 16:03

Cookie They had some really good players. Griffin had his hands full with their left winger Thomas and the Sidwell look-alike in midfield was class.

Ben Watson. On loan from Wigan.....Was at QPR earlier in the season.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 28 Mar 2010 16:04

Cookie They had some really good players. Griffin had his hands full with their left winger Thomas and the Sidwell look-alike in midfield was class.

Griffin improved after a very shaky start though.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 28 Mar 2010 16:52

Not sure whether this has been mentioned before as I haven't read all the thread - just wanted to add that comedy moment for me was just after the Sig's tackle which should have been red, what was their CB (Olssen?) on? He started jumping up and down in front of the lower West and shouting as if he was having a fit - even had spit coming out of his mouth - only for their manager to tell him to shut up and get back.

Was very funny.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 28 Mar 2010 18:05

PEARCEY

Griffin improved after a very shaky start though.

despite being skinned for pace every 2 minutes griffin used every ounce of experience skill and not a little bending of the rules to keep him as quiet as possible.
think he had a great game considering

The Echo

by The Echo » 28 Mar 2010 18:14

Although not generally critisised, posters have questioned Griffen at right back as yesterdays weak link. If you think about the shape of the game and the players on show that should come as no surprise today. The West Brom right winger Jerome Thomas was played high up he pitch and very wide which let Grif with issues. How much space should he give him? What if the play broke doen the inside right channel? Did he get any support? Not exactly. Despite being a real menace going forwrd Kebe offered little support going back. We hear a lot these days about the role of full backs and wide players in the modern game. The other day we all watched Mourinho push two wingers high up the pitch against the Chelea fullbacks. It pushed Chelseas midfielders right back. Kebe didn't play ball and defend today and this may have been the key to such an entertaining and open game with so much space down that side of the pitch. Kebe's playing well at the moment and at times looks world class but potential premier league scouts will be mindfall of this flaw in his game.

As suggested previously I think the fact Griffen appeared to have his hands full was more to do with the general shape of the games as opposed to individual failings.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 28 Mar 2010 18:35

Griffin*

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 28 Mar 2010 19:24

Griffin is no spring chicken.
He has had two tough games in 3 days. The speedy winger at Leicester gave him the run around (So much he decided to have a fight with him) and what with yesterday its time for him to put his feet up for a few days.
All in all he handled both very well and our general play and 4 points gained bears testament to that.
Well done Griff.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 28 Mar 2010 19:30

Royalwaster Not sure whether this has been mentioned before as I haven't read all the thread - just wanted to add that comedy moment for me was just after the Sig's tackle which should have been red, what was their CB (Olssen?) on? He started jumping up and down in front of the lower West and shouting as if he was having a fit - even had spit coming out of his mouth - only for their manager to tell him to shut up and get back.

Was very funny.

There were covering players, that's why Sig wasn't sent off.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 Mar 2010 19:38

I do think the change in our fortunes is partly also down to the fact that Mills, Griffin and Zurab are very tough players - not afraid to get stuck in - and we haven't had many "hard men" for quite some time. When you look back to players like Adie Williams, Martin Hicks, Steve Hetzke, Kevin Bremner etc - not out and out "thugs" like Billy Whitehurst and Terry Hurlock - but tough, don't want to be beaten, not afraid to put in a crunching tackle and not afraid to get hurt. We'll need very similar types of players to replace Zurab and Griffin if we're to compete like this next season imo.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 28 Mar 2010 19:43

did we have tough players in 05/06????

I dont see BM thinking tough is the answer, determined for sure.

Sorry for replying to your post RL.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 28 Mar 2010 19:44

Royal Lady I do think the change in our fortunes is partly also down to the fact that Mills, Griffin and Zurab are very tough players - not afraid to get stuck in - and we haven't had many "hard men" for quite some time. When you look back to players like Adie Williams, Martin Hicks, Steve Hetzke, Kevin Bremner etc - not out and out "thugs" like Billy Whitehurst and Terry Hurlock - but tough, don't want to be beaten, not afraid to put in a crunching tackle and not afraid to get hurt. We'll need very similar types of players to replace Zurab and Griffin if we're to compete like this next season imo.

Yep. I saw that in Griffin yesterday. He really got stuck in after a dodgy start and left his mark on his opponent. We were too soft in the early part of the season. Not now.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 28 Mar 2010 19:51

Karacan's always willing to get stuck in and has never held back much though.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 28 Mar 2010 20:16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp61ue3K_PM

Highlights.

Is this the BBC footage from last night?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Mar 2010 20:18

SHORT AND CURLY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp61ue3K_PM

Highlights.

Is this the BBC footage from last night?

If it doesn't show the foul throw...then probably....yes

154 posts