New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New manager [Merged]

by rhroyal » 01 Jun 2009 12:48

Do we have to pay just to talk to him? Can't we interview him with the other candidates and then if we decide he's the right man take it from there? Or is it a case of agreeing the fee first, like when players are transferred?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 01 Jun 2009 12:49

rhroyal Do we have to pay just to talk to him? Can't we interview him with the other candidates and then if we decide he's the right man take it from there? Or is it a case of agreeing the fee first, like when players are transferred?

Agreed the fee first, then get allowed to talk to him.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 01 Jun 2009 12:50

text updates now on website about the new manager so surely it can only be a few days away?

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 01 Jun 2009 12:52

Dirk Gently
rhroyal Do we have to pay just to talk to him? Can't we interview him with the other candidates and then if we decide he's the right man take it from there? Or is it a case of agreeing the fee first, like when players are transferred?

In that case why not do business with Posh? Agree the fee, if we think that Ferguson is the best candidate and worth the money then go ahead. If not, nothing's lost.

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 01 Jun 2009 12:56

Were they not saying a figure of £1m, then another £1m if/when we got up. That would be enough to put anyone off, let alone Reading

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 01 Jun 2009 12:59

If we've been willing to spend £1million on a player when we were in this league, how much more should we be willing to pay for a manager? Up to £5million at least. Managers are vastly under priced in football, the complete opposite of players. If West Ham had tapped up and signed Nicky Forster or Shorey I'm sure the tribunal would have given us a bigger settlement than the 400k or so we got for Pardew.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 01 Jun 2009 13:00

Not only that but by agreeing a fee to an interview, Ferguson would have us over a barrel with his terms.

You can see why clubs don't follow the "proper process" if this is how it's meant to work.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 01 Jun 2009 13:00

It's pretty easy to say "Pay The Money" when we're not truly sure what Posh are after.

£1m for a manager is hefty cash, even for us. But, if we've gone for Martinez and failed, and Rodgers and failed...you've got to wonder if at some point the club will just have to bite the bullet and just meet the valuation. If it is a million or more, Posh could be open to negotiation...but I doubt it.

As much as it's a bit dirty, the more pressure we put on them, the more it will unsettle Ferguson...and the more likely they will realise that they can't keep a manager who doesn't want to be there, much the same as a player in the same boat.

Bottom line is, if this is who the club want, they will have to pull out the stops to get him, otherwise the board will have 'settled' in the end for not who they really wanted.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 01 Jun 2009 13:01

rhroyal
Dirk Gently

In that case why not do business with Posh? Agree the fee, if we think that Ferguson is the best candidate and worth the money then go ahead. If not, nothing's lost.

Except Fergie's credibility and goodwill with his existing employer. It may not matter to most clubs, but Reading do things differently and wouldn't shaft someone like that.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 01 Jun 2009 13:19

Alan Partridge

Can't see it being Dolan, for the sheer reason I think they'd have appointed him already.

Why? Just explain why you think that he would get the job without interviewing? It is a perfectly normal practice to allow current staff to apply for job promotion in competition with outside interviewees. If (and that is a big if) Eamonn Dolan is a runner then there is no reason to assume that he should be treated any differently to the rest.

His risk, of course, is that if he doesn't get this post (having interviewed for it) he is likely to be culled by the new manager!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 01 Jun 2009 13:23

West Stand Man
Alan Partridge

Can't see it being Dolan, for the sheer reason I think they'd have appointed him already.

Why? Just explain why you think that he would get the job without interviewing? It is a perfectly normal practice to allow current staff to apply for job promotion in competition with outside interviewees. If (and that is a big if) Eamonn Dolan is a runner then there is no reason to assume that he should be treated any differently to the rest.

His risk, of course, is that if he doesn't get this post (having interviewed for it) he is likely to be culled by the new manager!

I don't see why any new manager would instantly dismiss of the youth team coach.

He may have been interviewed although interviewing someone already at the club who they know seems rather pointless, i just feel that after this amount of time he'd have been given the job by now if he was their choice. So I doubt he's made it to the final 4 as it were.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 01 Jun 2009 13:32

Appears that Ferguson is keen to speak though....could make the futre relationship a bit strained between Ferguson and chairman....

The Peterborough chairman, Darragh MacAnthony, has insisted their manager, Darren Ferguson, will stay at the club despite an approach from Reading. Ferguson has been linked with the vacancy at the Madejski Stadium after leading his side to back-to-back promotions but MacAnthony has no intention of allowing him to leave London Road.

"Reading approached us. [Our director of football] Barry Fry phoned me and I told him that permission to talk to my manager was not allowed unless they met my valuation," he told the Peterborough Evening Telegraph. "They told us that he was one of seven managers they wanted to speak to and they wouldn't meet our valuation and that was the end of the matter.

"Out of politeness we informed the manager of events and that we had turned Reading's request down. He responded by stating that he would like to speak to them and he was told that wasn't going to happen until Reading or anyone else met my valuation."The manager can't just decide that he wants to speak to another club in the Championship without permission and when it's only an interview. It's a bit like your wife saying to you that she's interested in another man and wants to go on a date. Then the date doesn't go to plan and she wants to come home again. I am not one to be bullied into selling our best assets unless it suits us."

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 01 Jun 2009 13:47

Of course its been known for managers to resign their position and and apply for other jobs....

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 01 Jun 2009 14:05

If players can demand they are placed on the transfer list and move clubs then why cant managers!?

Harry Carry

by Harry Carry » 01 Jun 2009 14:13

Ancelotti's at Chelsea now, so another manager down for you guys.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 01 Jun 2009 14:21

TBM If players can demand they are placed on the transfer list and move clubs then why cant managers!?

If managers can reject a player's request then why can't a chairman reject the manager's?

The truth is if Ferguson doesn't want to stay at Peterborough he won't. Contracts in fact don't control loyalty much. Posh won't want a manager who wants away, Ferguson can "Pardew" his way out if he wants.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 01 Jun 2009 14:37

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Appears that Ferguson is keen to speak though....could make the futre relationship a bit strained between Ferguson and chairman....

The Peterborough chairman, Darragh MacAnthony, has insisted their manager, Darren Ferguson, will stay at the club despite an approach from Reading. Ferguson has been linked with the vacancy at the Madejski Stadium after leading his side to back-to-back promotions but MacAnthony has no intention of allowing him to leave London Road.

"Reading approached us. [Our director of football] Barry Fry phoned me and I told him that permission to talk to my manager was not allowed unless they met my valuation," he told the Peterborough Evening Telegraph. "They told us that he was one of seven managers they wanted to speak to and they wouldn't meet our valuation and that was the end of the matter.

"Out of politeness we informed the manager of events and that we had turned Reading's request down. He responded by stating that he would like to speak to them and he was told that wasn't going to happen until Reading or anyone else met my valuation."The manager can't just decide that he wants to speak to another club in the Championship without permission and when it's only an interview. It's a bit like your wife saying to you that she's interested in another man and wants to go on a date. Then the date doesn't go to plan and she wants to come home again. I am not one to be bullied into selling our best assets unless it suits us."

Darragh MacAnthony You're my wife now

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 01 Jun 2009 14:38

i wouldnt mind seeing ferguson at mad stad along with some utd rejects from his old man but aint going to happen

so apparently 4 candidates. any ideas apart from rodgers

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 01 Jun 2009 14:54

loyalroyal4life i wouldnt mind seeing ferguson at mad stad along with some utd rejects from his old man but aint going to happen

Rodgers, Dolan, Pardew, Tisdale

Elliott

by Elliott » 01 Jun 2009 15:00

TBM
loyalroyal4life i wouldnt mind seeing ferguson at mad stad along with some utd rejects from his old man but aint going to happen

Rodgers, Dolan, Pardew, Tisdale

I'd prefer Curbs and Poyet instead of Dolan and Tisdale

1747 posts