SIGNED - Pavel Pogrebnyak

1333 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: RUMOUR - Pavel Pogrebnyak

by Ian Royal » 27 Jun 2012 19:51

Wizard No, actually I am serious. Ian Harte will be fine and I was impressed with Mills last season so he is more than adequate cover. Roberts, Hunt, Church and Le Fondre will score goals, with Jobi, Jimmy, McCleary Leigertwood and Karacan chipping in. Cummings is a solid right back, with Nick Arnold apparently a very good understudy. Michael Hector and Angus MacDonald are highly rated by the club, and in addition to Sean Morrison should back up our centre halves no problem. Lawton D'ath and Jake Taylor will provide the creativity desired.

Genuinely don't think we need any more players to stay up.

Bat shit insanely clueless.

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 27 Jun 2012 19:52

Wizard No, actually I am serious.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 Jun 2012 20:12

Wizard No, actually I am serious. Ian Harte will be fine and I was impressed with Mills last season so he is more than adequate cover. Roberts, Hunt, Church and Le Fondre will score goals, with Jobi, Jimmy, McCleary Leigertwood and Karacan chipping in. Cummings is a solid right back, with Nick Arnold apparently a very good understudy. Michael Hector and Angus MacDonald are highly rated by the club, and in addition to Sean Morrison should back up our centre halves no problem. Lawton D'ath and Jake Taylor will provide the creativity desired.

Genuinely don't think we need any more players to stay up.

To be honest I am quite optimistic about the senior players. However, I think Pogrebnyak is a class above, even though we might not strictly need him, he would improve our side a lot.

Our three full backs could be good enough, but again, we could use upgrades. Arnold is very good, but he is completely unproven and I would not be comfortable with him being our second choice right back- I imagine he is behind Karacan and Tabb in the pecking order right now. He is very young and has never played senior football as injury has prevented him from going on loan. I think he's due a spell in League 1 or 2 to develop. Hector is the most credible back up right back of all the young players as he will be 20 next month, but he has never played above League 2 and he is mainly a centre back. Morrison is unproven above League 1 and has looked a mile off Pearce and Gorkss, MacDonald isn't very good at all, and Hector certainly isn't Premier League quality right now.

D'Ath and Taylor are very promising players and hopefully Taylor will have an excellent season on loan in the Championship. D'Ath likewise will probably spend the season gaining match experience, hopefully partially in the Championship. I don't think we should rely on either to provide us with creativity in the Premiership right away, but maybe Taylor will be a credible option in a year and D'Ath could also be a first teamer for us one day.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 27 Jun 2012 20:24

I'd say 4 or 5 quality additions enough to keep us up if they fit in with the team and squad.

Pog fits the quality addition description. I trust McDermott and Hammond to think carefully about the 2nd part.

M U R K Y

by M U R K Y » 27 Jun 2012 20:30

please can some body tell me why we have not heard abotu pobgreniak from the club

because we should have singed him by now and i do not no what a work permit is

RFCSPACE

by RFCSPACE » 27 Jun 2012 20:35

M U R K Y please can some body tell me why we have not heard abotu pobgreniak from the club

This thread needs a warning as it appears to be damaging to mental health.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 27 Jun 2012 20:36

Moreover, can someone actually tell me why everyone is excited about Pogrebnyak?

It is a sign of intent, yes, but as a footballer, I'm yet to see anything that makes him a 'cut above'...

*no negativo*

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Jun 2012 20:37

M U R K Y please can some body tell me why we have not heard abotu pobgreniak from the club

Trying too hard.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 27 Jun 2012 20:44

Think he got the words right but not in the right order :D

Fluff

by Fluff » 27 Jun 2012 20:53

PistolPete Moreover, can someone actually tell me why everyone is excited about Pogrebnyak?

It is a sign of intent, yes, but as a footballer, I'm yet to see anything that makes him a 'cut above'...

*no negativo*

Well, it would piss off my Fulham supporting mate. :)

Blakey's Right Peg

by Blakey's Right Peg » 27 Jun 2012 20:56

PistolPete Moreover, can someone actually tell me why everyone is excited about Pogrebnyak?

*no negativo*

Experienced international, looks like a useful battering ram, good in the air, good finisher with a decent goalscoring record.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 27 Jun 2012 21:02

Blakey's Right Peg

*no negativo*

Experienced international, looks like a useful battering ram, good in the air, good finisher with a decent goalscoring record.

+1

Kingsley Junior

by Kingsley Junior » 27 Jun 2012 21:04

M U R K Y because we should have singed him by now

Tubbs from League of Gentlemen We didn't burn him!

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 27 Jun 2012 21:08

*no negativo*

He's a cut above anything we have.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 27 Jun 2012 21:18

Wizard Genuinely don't think we need any more players to stay up.

:)

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 27 Jun 2012 22:40

Anyone who thinks we don't need more players is absolutely DeLOLuded.

We at least need a RB, a LB (I like Mills but think he needs a full season on loan at a Championship team as first choice to see if he is up to it - too much of a risk at PL level), two CB, at least one more defensive CM, an attacking midfielder and one or preferably two strikers. The only areas we are strong enough is at goalkeeper and on the wings. I make that a minimum of 7 and maybe 8 to come in.

GSY-Royal

by GSY-Royal » 27 Jun 2012 23:30

http://m.mirror.co.uk/article?id=942547/

Brian McDermott believes the signing of Pavel Pogrebnyak has announced Reading as a true top-flight club.

McDermott has earned his managerial stripes, and the respect of his peers, after taking the Royals up to the Premier League as Championship top dogs last season.

Now, he has swooped to pinch Russia striker Pogrebnyak from under the noses of Fulham, who had expected to sign him permanently after a successful loan spell last season.

The 28-year-old hit six goals in 12 appearances for Martin Jol’s side after joining in January but, after Pogrebnyak failed to agree a deal with the Cottagers at the end of the season, Reading steamed in.

McDermott said: “The owner had a chat with Pavel about six weeks ago, towards the end of last season. I met him, too.

"He took a long time. He showed us a lot of respect and we’re delighted to get him. It shows where we are going as a club.

“He’s a great transfer for us. An excellent player.

"But what more drew me to him was that he is a good person. A good character. He works really hard for the team and fits into what all of my players have shown over the last season.

“We kept talking over those six weeks. We needed him to know how important it was to us to get him. That was made very, very clear.”

A significant factor in the deal was the drive displayed by Reading's new Russian owner, Anton Zingarevich.

McDermott added: “Obviously, it was an advantage to me that Anton is Russian and could speak to him.

“But I wouldn’t say we brought him in because he is Russian. He fits the bill. He fits the mould of what we want.”

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 27 Jun 2012 23:50

RFCSPACE

This thread needs a warning as it appears to be damaging to mental health.

+1

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 27 Jun 2012 23:56

GSY-Royal http://m.mirror.co.uk/article?id=942547/

Brian McDermott believes the signing of Pavel Pogrebnyak has announced Reading as a true top-flight club.

McDermott has earned his managerial stripes, and the respect of his peers, after taking the Royals up to the Premier League as Championship top dogs last season.

Now, he has swooped to pinch Russia striker Pogrebnyak from under the noses of Fulham, who had expected to sign him permanently after a successful loan spell last season.

The 28-year-old hit six goals in 12 appearances for Martin Jol’s side after joining in January but, after Pogrebnyak failed to agree a deal with the Cottagers at the end of the season, Reading steamed in.

McDermott said: “The owner had a chat with Pavel about six weeks ago, towards the end of last season. I met him, too.

"He took a long time. He showed us a lot of respect and we’re delighted to get him. It shows where we are going as a club.

“He’s a great transfer for us. An excellent player.

"But what more drew me to him was that he is a good person. A good character. He works really hard for the team and fits into what all of my players have shown over the last season.

“We kept talking over those six weeks. We needed him to know how important it was to us to get him. That was made very, very clear.”

A significant factor in the deal was the drive displayed by Reading's new Russian owner, Anton Zingarevich.

McDermott added: “Obviously, it was an advantage to me that Anton is Russian and could speak to him.

“But I wouldn’t say we brought him in because he is Russian. He fits the bill. He fits the mould of what we want.”

Blakey's Right Peg

by Blakey's Right Peg » 28 Jun 2012 00:02

Is that the Mirror article that talks about our highly-rated director of football Nick Hameed? :lol:

1333 posts