Long Norwich
Long Derby
Harte Hull
Long Palace
Long Portsmouth
Harte Scunthorpe
Harte Derby

I can't find any misses.

I'm sure someone will correct me if there were any.

Pretty sure Harte missed one. And I think someone else. And how is last season's record somehow more relevant than this season's? Or any other? Oh that's right, you pick the sample to fit the outcome you want and ignore anything else.

Add in this season and it's 1 penalty out of 6 scored = 17%.

By the by, since we got relegated our championship penalty record is 37 taken, 11 missed, 70% conversion rate.

themadstad

Re: Last Season - This Season

by themadstad » 27 Feb 2012 19:21

The failure part had nothing to do with being in hands but more just general not being good enough in general.

themadstad

by themadstad » 27 Feb 2012 19:28

On the same token though it's equally in Southampton's hands and West Ham's hands. Difference being they have the advantage. Now should we win that game in hand then we get closer to Southamton but then wouldn't West Ham have a game in hand on us whilst still being a point ahead. Now suppose we beat both, well they'll be thinking the same and with it then being so close avoiding defeat will keep them where they are. So let's say it's in their hands as much but what with advantage with them.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Attacking Stats

by Simon's Church » 27 Feb 2012 19:46

Long missed against Hull and Forest away and Harte missed against Derby so that's 10 from 13. 77%

Struggling to even hand pick stats to prove your point now.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Feb 2012 19:58

Of course it's in our hands, we're playing in those games. It has nothing to do with advantages of home or away. It's not in our hands if we're not playing in a game where we need a result.

I give up. You can't genuinely be this stupid, it must be a wind-up.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Feb 2012 20:00

Ian Royal
Snowball Reading FC 201-11

10 Penalties Awarded, 10 Scored = 100%

Long Palace
Harte Palace
Long Burnley
Long Norwich
Long Derby
Harte Hull
Long Palace
Long Portsmouth
Harte Scunthorpe
Harte Derby

I can't find any misses.

I'm sure someone will correct me if there were any.

Pretty sure Harte missed one.

And I think someone else.

Well tell me where and when. If we missed one/two (which I do not yet accept we did)
that would mean we scored 10/12 = 83.33% or 11/12 = 91.7%

CORRECTION. Shane missed the pen that would have put us 5-3 up at Forest

CORRECTION. Harte missed a pen v Derby (hit post)

So last season was 83.33 %

And how is last season's record somehow more relevant than this season's? Or any other?
Oh that's right, you pick the sample to fit the outcome you want and ignore anything else.

Because last season is the most recent full season.
When I have the time I'll look at the one before, but that was another where we did well on pens.

We scored a lot and (I think) Gylfi missed one and Howard missed one.)

Howard up to then had a 100% penalty record in professional football

Add in this season and it's 1 penalty out of 6 scored = 17%.

By the by, since we got relegated our championship penalty record is 37 taken, 11 missed, 70% conversion rate.

Oh, and i do NOT consider Roberts' goal a missed penalty so that's 37/10 = 73% (if your figures are right)

Where do you get the figures?

Or, prior to this freak season 31 taken, 6 missed = 81% scored.
Last edited by Snowball on 27 Feb 2012 20:11, edited 1 time in total.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Feb 2012 20:01

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Premier_ ... stics.html

878 Pens
694 Scored

79%

In 2011-12 5 Prem Clubs have had 36 pens either for or against and 100% have gone in.

themadstad

by themadstad » 27 Feb 2012 20:10

Still looks like we'd be ok for the play offs but our record in the play offs is poor. Unfortunate we didn't do better in the first 6 games. Assuming we keep up a decent enough run of form where that'll take is close enough.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Feb 2012 20:26

TBH snowball, the percentage is just another example of your statistics being unreliable. It's pretty immaterial to the point of awarding a major contribution (a contribution to what exactly?) for winning a penalty that isn't scored.

You're using an indicator of a player's attacking prowess which should be taken into account in whether he gets picked or not, a decision which is largely subjective and based on training and overall performance not statistics, to show player's contributions to a game. If there is no actual impact on the outcome of the game from that action, recording it as a positive is hugely flawed. Especially next to goals and genuine assists. Where are the tackles? Where are the saves? The clearances? The won freekicks? etc etc They're surely major contributions? As has been explained to you ad infinitum. The reason only goals and genuine assists are used is because opening it up to other things over complicates the statistics and makes then utterly subjective (when assists can be fairly subjective and meaningless) and impossible to keep in practice.

But you've had your "good" but extremely limited idea and you're sticking to it because youe'r so unbelievably arrogant that you are incapable of taking constructive criticism or admitting you are wrong.

You may go off on some victim complex about how you don't get constructive criticism, you get constant abuse. But I say take a look at yourself man. You dish out near constant petty abuse (with limited wit or style), often at people who have not been rude to you, definitely at the time, maybe at all. The reason you get so much abuse is because of your attitude and the way you behave when you do get constructive criticism.

There's no dialogue with you, you have to be in control of everything and assert your views onto everyone else. It isn't good enough chap. It's not acceptable behaviour. Buck your ideas up because if you weren't such a total tunc all the time you'd offer a lot of valuable posting to HNA.

You may say I'm an utter hypocrite because I dish out plenty of abuse on here too. But you don't see me whining about it when I get it back. And I DO admit I'm wrong plenty, as do most people on here. Maybe not as much as I should admittedly

PS find the website yourself, it took me a minute on google.

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 27 Feb 2012 20:44

Actually, you do whine when you get it back. Apparently im a retard. Remember?

Well, you're just a plain boring bastard for writing a post that long, and basically saying nothing. Give me Snowballs stats any day.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 27 Feb 2012 21:18

Maguire
Snowball Research quotes 85% of penalties (not in penalty shoot-outs) scored.

If they hit the target.

i.e less than 85% are scored

i.e you're thick

Nothing in the last few posts to contradict this.

Apart from the fact your handpicked stats were wrong. Again.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 27 Feb 2012 21:25

Snowball Oh, and i do NOT consider Roberts' goal a missed penalty

:lol:

Retarded

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Feb 2012 22:01

A bloke goes up to take a penalty. 5 seconds later we have a goal.

As far as I'm concerned, he scored from a penalty.

You can chuckle as much and as often as you like, it won't change that.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Feb 2012 22:02

Ian Royal TBH snowball, the percentage is just another example of your statistics being unreliable.

And this is too?

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Premier_ ... stics.html

878 Pens
694 Scored

79%

In 2011-12 5 Prem Clubs have had 36 pens either for or against and 100% have gone in.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Feb 2012 22:16

This season we have got 341 shots/headers away, which I PRESUME doesn't include charged-down shots

300 of those failed to become goals. Add in possible assists which were crowded out, charged down, blocked
or ruined by a poor first touch. There must have been at least 400 final passes, maybe 500, all to produce 41 goals.

Our conversion rate (for actual shots/headers got away)

is therefore 41/341 = a Goal every 8.32 chances, 12% (8-10% if you include crowded out etc)

If our average penalty conversion is, say, 72% that means winning a penalty is SIX TIMES to NINE TIMES
as good as a mere final pass of the kind that gets an assist if a goal is actually scored.

=====================================================================================

Last Season with one player on red hot form, was 84 Goals from 602 = 13.9% or 1 in 7.17 Chances

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Feb 2012 22:21

Ian Royal
If there is no actual impact on the outcome of the game from that action, recording it as a positive is hugely flawed. Especially next to goals and genuine assists.

You need to tell Mr McDermott, then, because he keeps mentioning Cwyka's winning of a penalty "that was meaningless"
because it was missed by McAnuff... and obviously Hunt's brilliant flick to Roberts which brought the foul that gave us the
penalty in Roberts' first game, that's meaningless too... obviously, because Roberts didn't score the penalty (in moron-speak, that is)
but we somehow ended up winning 1-0

Where are the tackles? Where are the saves? The clearances? The won freekicks? etc etc

Psst, this is ATTACKING stats, geddit?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Feb 2012 05:56

Snowball A bloke goes up to take a penalty. 5 seconds later we have a goal.

So hang on, I'm confused. Roberts takes the penalty, misses but Hunt pops in the rebound instead. Could you clarify whether Roberts scored the penalty, despite not being the goalscorer or whether Hunt scored the penalty despite not taking it?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Feb 2012 06:20

From Despair To Where?
Snowball A bloke goes up to take a penalty. 5 seconds later we have a goal.

So hang on, I'm confused. Roberts takes the penalty, misses but Hunt pops in the rebound instead. Could you clarify whether Roberts scored the penalty, despite not being the goalscorer or whether Hunt scored the penalty despite not taking it?

And here in Pedant's Corner...

In your scenario Roberts misses the penalty and Hunt scores a follow-up goal, not a penalty.

But IMO, when a player follows up his own penalty as Roberts did, he scores from a penalty. It's just messy.

IMO, those rare "cute" pens where the penalty-taker passes to a team-mate is "scoring a penalty".

Please feel free to come back on this fifteen times a day ad infinitum so I can firmly stick to my first point.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Feb 2012 06:31

In the 30 years I have been watching football, in all official statistical sources, rebounds scored from a missed penalty have NEVER been recorded as successful penalties regardless of who puts in the rebound, but one again, everyone else is wrong and Snowball is right.

Unless of course, I once saw Trevor Morley score a penalty with his head.

Snowball, serious question. Are you Autistic? I only ask because I have 3 autistic children and I see your kind of logic and social skills a hundred times a day from my children.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Feb 2012 06:50

From Despair To Where? In the 30 years I have been watching football, in all official statistical sources,
rebounds scored from a missed penalty have NEVER been recorded as successful penalties regardless of who puts
in the rebound, but one again, everyone else is wrong and Snowball is right.

Unless of course, I once saw Trevor Morley score a penalty with his head.

I remember watching Newport County and Harold Jarman
ex-Bristol Rovers took a penalty, the keeper saved, and Jarman
headed it it.

Headline was "Jarman Scores penalty With His Head"

I just tied to Google it, and Jarman's "headed penalty" has been mentioned on Hob-Nob before

Oh, and PS, see what Ian Royal says here. Combine the sounds Hippo and Crit

viewtopic.php?f=4&p=2654423

Ian Royal

Ian Royal, 30 Jul 2010 19:57

Only player I've ever seen to score a penalty with his head
(ok so on the rebound, but still impressive)

Ah...

2245 posts