Pauno out

3542 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Pauno out

by Hendo » 04 Nov 2021 12:32

WestYorksRoyal
Hendo
Jackson Corner When we are relegated which will happen. It will be years before we get back. Leeds 5 years, Sheffield Utd 5 years, Forest 6 years Sunderland 4 years and counting. Pompey 10 years. These are much bigger better supported teams than us.

Being bigger or more supported teams has nothing to do with promotion, if anything it holds the clubs back because they think they don’t belong there and it takes them ages to realise that.

Also, if you’re saying we’re a smaller, not so well supported club, look at the 3 teams who came up this year, all smaller, not so well supported clubs…

Resources matter though. When we were last at that level, SJM had a lot of relative financial clout, and while we spent it well, it was instrumental in taking us up. The likes of Sunderland and Sheffield United should by virtue of attendances and fanbase be able to climb back out of L1 quickly, whereas I wouldn’t say the same for us.

But they haven't though, what is evident is that smaller sides have gone up who don't necessarily have big budgets and financial clout. I think it doesn't matter at that level so much anymore, compared to when we last got out of the division.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Nov 2021 13:05

Royal_jimmy
Elm Park Kid I don't know why people think we would do badly in league one.

The financial problems the club have are only with FFP. Yes, getting relegated would mean that our highest paid would go, but they now represent a minority of our squad. We appear to have enough decent youth team players that we'd still be better than most of the teams in that league. So it's really just a question of whether we'd have a attitude problem - which I honestly don't think would be the case.

But our current crop of academy players are shit. Only 3 first team players are likely to still be with us would be Holmes, McIntyre and Southwood.

oxf*rd off are they.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Nov 2021 13:07

Jackson Corner When we are relegated which will happen. It will be years before we get back. Leeds 5 years, Sheffield Utd 5 years, Forest 6 years Sunderland 4 years and counting. Pompey 10 years. These are much bigger better supported teams than us.

5 years isn't long.

And you could just as easily list smaller teams who bounced back far quicker

Also, Leeds and Sheffield both made it back to the PL after returning . As did Norwich

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Nov 2021 21:04

Am I the only one who doesn't care if we're relegated?

Footy is footy. League 1, Champ, all brilliant fun. Every game is the same. We watch it, we enjoy the highs, moan at the lows, come and have our say and people like me get to spout shit once in a while. Doesn't matter what league we're in it's always fun. Chance of promotion etc.

The only league I DIDN'T enjoy has been the PL. Up against big boys and spend every bloody game just trying to make sure you're less shit than everyone else. That's not the footy I know.

Biggest town in the UK. Affluent, growing rapidly. We absolutely don't need our football club to put us on the map, unlike a lot of clubs out there.

Reading till I die, don't care where we are I love my club and this awesome town.

Thanks.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 04 Nov 2021 22:40

Millsy Am I the only one who doesn't care if we're relegated?

Footy is footy. League 1, Champ, all brilliant fun. Every game is the same. We watch it, we enjoy the highs, moan at the lows, come and have our say and people like me get to spout shit once in a while. Doesn't matter what league we're in it's always fun. Chance of promotion etc.

The only league I DIDN'T enjoy has been the PL. Up against big boys and spend every bloody game just trying to make sure you're less shit than everyone else. That's not the footy I know.

Biggest town in the UK. Affluent, growing rapidly. We absolutely don't need our football club to put us on the map, unlike a lot of clubs out there.

Reading till I die, don't care where we are I love my club and this awesome town.

Thanks.

Obviously I want the club to do as well as possible. And the PL is the place to be. But it is also shit only having a handful of Saturday 3pm games.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 04 Nov 2021 22:48

Thanks.

Spot on,100% agree with this. If it’s the National League or the Premiership I’ll support RFC no matter what.

Loads of ups and downs since 1972 but I’d take supporting Reading over Chelsea or Man Utd any day of the week.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 Nov 2021 23:17

I wouldn't want us to be relegated and while I share the view of the Premier League being a bit underwhelming as losing most weeks is just droll, I can kind of excuse our current situation due to FFP limitations and injuries, it's almost a self-imposed challenge in a way.

But I want us to be in the Premier League, I still hold hope that one day we can establish ourselves in the Premier League, win our first major trophy etc.

Only positive of relegation for me would be playing a whole bunch of different players and in theory we'd be a big fish in League One.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Nov 2021 23:34

Every Reading fan should care if we go down. It continues the downward spiral from where we were in the naughties.
It will mean even lower gates and runs the risk of our owners walking away and the club going under.
It’s crucial we don’t go down.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Nov 2021 00:53

leon
URZZZZ
leon Race is an absolute load of horseshit as a criteria. It's irrelevant.

It should be - have they got experience in building, organising and managing teams. Using youth and developing players. Balancing the books (ie not just spending wads) Exposure to the Championship/D1 as a manager (or player).

That sort of thing.

Experience does have its benefits but wouldn’t say it’s the defining point

It’s about a willingness to learn, adapt and become flexible to different situations. Which, admittedly, is almost impossible to tell until they’re actually in the job and by then it’s too late

Every manager will make mistakes. It’s about reacting to is positively to avoid repeating them. The reality is that Paunovic doesn’t. You can discuss injuries to the hills and back but that statement remains true which, to an extent, makes the excuses fairly redundant IMO

Yeah I get that. My view is that at this point the club doesn't need a punt on a potential bright young manager it needs some stability and someone with experience.

Backfired with Hughton and McCarthy. Not saying you’re wrong as such but I think if you want stability from the manager, you need it translating across the entire club (which we don’t have). Both Cardiff and Forest are a bit of a shambles

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Nov 2021 07:27

Thanks.

No.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Nov 2021 07:29

Zip Every Reading fan should care if we go down. It continues the downward spiral from where we were in the naughties.
It will mean even lower gates and runs the risk of our owners walking away and the club going under.

Anything that hastens their departure is fine by me.

We're coming through the worst of the finances, no thanks to those pcunts. And we might get shot of captain calamity a year earlier if we go down.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Nov 2021 08:07

We may do well if we go down, we may struggle - I'd rather not find out but if it happens, it happens - fcuk all I can do about it.

We have a season or 2 more of trying to balance FFP books (if FFP still exists) and would much rather trundle along at this level until we can get that sorted rather than trying to rebuild from an even lower level.

As for the here and now, we have 23 players out injured across the first and u23 sides - that is our current problem, we can argue about tinkering here, changing formation there or giving a debut to X but until a decent amount of those players return the best we can hope for (esp with the points deduction) is keeping our heads above water and hope that when players come back, that they can make a positive impact on the team.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Nov 2021 09:22

Stranded We may do well if we go down, we may struggle - I'd rather not find out but if it happens, it happens - fcuk all I can do about it.

We have a season or 2 more of trying to balance FFP books (if FFP still exists) and would much rather trundle along at this level until we can get that sorted rather than trying to rebuild from an even lower level.

As for the here and now, we have 23 players out injured across the first and u23 sides - that is our current problem, we can argue about tinkering here, changing formation there or giving a debut to X but until a decent amount of those players return the best we can hope for (esp with the points deduction) is keeping our heads above water and hope that when players come back, that they can make a positive impact on the team.

yeah this pretty much. Relegation has no appeal to me at all. L1 football is dreadful in comparison. We've still got a number of players on sky high wages next season as well. Absolutely not guaranteed we'd be able to move on Moore, Puscas, Joao etc without taking a huge loss on them.

I do find the comments of 'can't blame the injuries' etc as slightly bizarre. We ended up with 4 kids under 20 with no experience prior to this season playing on Tuesday against a tough, hardened and experienced Champ team. We played well first half, poor second half. Zero surprise really, we have players knackered, others out of form. The effect of the injuries just gets worse with every game we play.

Training won't be intensive - how can it be with 10 fit outfielders, and terrified of losing any more. Likely that a couple of them are playing with knocks already. Literally cannot see any manager coming in and doing any better at this stage. The players still seem to like Pauno and do seem to be giving their absolute all.

I'm writing off Birmingham. Hopefully the intl break will allow us to get at least 3 or 4 of the injured players back. Maybe the points deduction will be decided by then. And then hopefully start a new knowing what we need to do. FWIW not particularly worried about relegation at all as long as we get players back. We're far better than the teams at the bottom.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Nov 2021 09:23

Forgetting about our own personal opinions for a moment, is there a genuine possibility that tomorrow could be Pauno's last game? Could be 5 defeats in a row, and clubs often see the international break as good timing for a change.

I think he'd get more time due to the hand he's been dealt with injuries and the transfer market, but maybe I'm struggling to leave aside my own opinion and look objectively; our owners don't have a track record for patience.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Nov 2021 09:23

WestYorksRoyal Forgetting about our own personal opinions for a moment, is there a genuine possibility that tomorrow could be Pauno's last game? Could be 5 defeats in a row, and clubs often see the international break as good timing for a change.

I think he'd get more time due to the hand he's been dealt with injuries and the transfer market, but maybe I'm struggling to leave aside my own opinion and look objectively; our owners don't have a track record for patience.

Very much doubt it

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Nov 2021 09:27

Zip Every Reading fan should care if we go down. It continues the downward spiral from where we were in the naughties.

Absolutely - and makes me laugh that we are only in November and serious chats on here, bit like bingo which includes....

Hate the Premier League
We are never going to win it
No games on Saturday
We will win more games in league one
Always liked Swindon and Oxford games
We will bounce back

etc etc

You are in football to be successful, that wont happen in league one... we need to stay up!! Its November!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Nov 2021 09:30

WestYorksRoyal Forgetting about our own personal opinions for a moment, is there a genuine possibility that tomorrow could be Pauno's last game? Could be 5 defeats in a row, and clubs often see the international break as good timing for a change.

With this injury crisis and the fact he can't even work with the players due to isolation, I would very much doubt it but nothing surprises in football. We've seen that if we even can just get Hoilett, Halilovic and maybe one other back on the park we can and will win games. This run is 95% down to the lack of fit players.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 05 Nov 2021 10:26

Stranded

With this injury crisis and the fact he can't even work with the players due to isolation, I would very much doubt it but nothing surprises in football. We've seen that if we even can just get Hoilett, Halilovic and maybe one other back on the park we can and will win games. This run is 95% down to the lack of fit players.

The injury crisis is definitely saving him just as much as its hampering him. Once we have a few more players back and we have senior options to chose from, the owners will surely look at the results and his position more seriously.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Nov 2021 10:35

Sadly, no. I think this is one of those occasions where he may still be for a while. I think if they knew anything about football he’d have gone already.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Nov 2021 11:02

Coppells Lost Coat
Stranded

The injury crisis is definitely saving him just as much as its hampering him. Once we have a few more players back and we have senior options to chose from, the owners will surely look at the results and his position more seriously.

it could, yes. But it really isnt fair to judge him based on our current situation. As said elsewhere, we were doing well when we had a group of 14-15

3542 posts