Hob Nob Regular

Re: Dear Mr Chairman

by Sarah Star » 02 Sep 2010 13:56

How much had he had? :lol:

fester_royal

by fester_royal » 02 Sep 2010 13:59

Focher Dear Reading fc fanz URZZZZZZZZ

Could everyone who has been supporting Reading FC since we moved to the spakker dome please fuck off with their no.13 urz shirts and soccer am dvd's and lick the sweat off a dead man's scrote. Leave those with a hint of realism and experience of the harsher times to enjoy the fact that we are a lot better than we used to be, but still a small town club.

Kind Regards.

resented... supported reading for 24 years but have a number 13 shirt :evil: ...mainly as it was brought for me but still!!

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 02 Sep 2010 17:08

weybridgewanderer you are entitled to your view, I am entitled to mine

Speaking as a professional historian, I feel qualified to comment on counterfactual history.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 03 Sep 2010 00:17

nev monkey Lee oxf*rd Hendrie!!!!

I really do not know what your problem is here. In case you missed it, he's only on trial. He is not a Reading employee, yet. :roll:

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 03 Sep 2010 00:39

rabidbee
weybridgewanderer you are entitled to your view, I am entitled to mine

Speaking as a professional historian, I feel qualified to comment on counterfactual history.

its got oxf*rd all to do with facts, it is about opinion

However much it annoys you, the chairman shared mine

His opinion is the only one that matters

nev monkey

by nev monkey » 03 Sep 2010 10:28

SpaceCruiser

I really do not know what your problem is here. In case you missed it, he's only on trial. He is not a Reading employee, yet. :roll:

Most trialists come in through the back door & very much under the radar.

We've just sold the only player in the squad who can score & replaced him with a centre half, a pony full back & a washed up midfielder on trial. Not exactly inspiring is it?

I guess the real issue is that were actually thinking of signing him. He is truly shocking. I very much doubt we'll sign him permanently but the announcement just smacked of desperation.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 03 Sep 2010 10:39

nev monkey
SpaceCruiser

Most trialists come in through the back door & very much under the radar.

We've just sold the only player in the squad who can score & replaced him with a centre half, a pony full back & a washed up midfielder on trial. Not exactly inspiring is it?

I guess the real issue is that were actually thinking of signing him. He is truly shocking. I very much doubt we'll sign him permanently but the announcement just smacked of desperation.

Or a reflection of the budget BM has been given for permanent deals. Loan window opens Tuesday - we'll have a better picture then.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 03 Sep 2010 11:09

Hardly going to inspire casual supporters to part with their hard earned. Crowd figures for the next few games could be very interesting to monitor.

Relying on loanees and triallists smacks of desperation and clearly illustrates the lack of ambition and commitment from the seniors within the club. We now have a chairman who has all the attributes that Waller showed back in the 70s and early 80s.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 03 Sep 2010 11:21

Terminal Boardom Hardly going to inspire casual supporters to part with their hard earned. Crowd figures for the next few games could be very interesting to monitor.

Relying on loanees and triallists smacks of desperation and clearly illustrates the lack of ambition and commitment from the seniors within the club. We now have a chairman who has all the attributes that Waller showed back in the 70s and early 80s.

Well yes, this it true. But what we don't know is how much we tried to get others in and what sort of value they were. There's every chance that agents/players/clubs were holding out for more cash knowing we'd just secured £7m.

FWIW, despite the income, I think JM has given BM a very small %age of that to spend. That cash has been earmarked for filling next year's deficit.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 03 Sep 2010 11:32

Who Moved The Goalposts?
Terminal Boardom Hardly going to inspire casual supporters to part with their hard earned. Crowd figures for the next few games could be very interesting to monitor.

Well yes, this it true. But what we don't know is how much we tried to get others in and what sort of value they were. There's every chance that agents/players/clubs were holding out for more cash knowing we'd just secured £7m.

FWIW, despite the income, I think JM has given BM a very small %age of that to spend. That cash has been earmarked for filling next year's deficit.

So where is the frigging ambition and the desire to be competitive? I fully expect money to miraculously appear in January if our position is as perilous as it was last season. Doing just enough is merely papering over the cracks.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 03 Sep 2010 11:50

Terminal Boardom
Who Moved The Goalposts?

So where is the frigging ambition and the desire to be competitive? I fully expect money to miraculously appear in January if our position is as perilous as it was last season. Doing just enough is merely papering over the cracks.

Doing just enough is the Reading way. Sometimes we get lucky, sometimes we don't. I'd love to see multi-£m signings, but it's not realistic - and in general, it's pretty hard to argue that JM's tenure and doing things his way has been a failure.

under the tin

by under the tin » 03 Sep 2010 13:07

[quote="Who Moved The Goalposts?"
Doing just enough is the Reading way. Sometimes we get lucky, sometimes we don't. I'd love to see multi-£m signings, but it's not realistic - and in general, it's pretty hard to argue that JM's tenure and doing things his way has been a failure.[/quote]

Overall, you are quite correct to make that statement, but I believe he's a changed man now.
I think that Jm had his road to jerusalem moment around about the Burnley play off defeat.
In the earlier years, he had the money and the will to broker things like underwriting the last 10M needed for the completion of the stadium, or Lita's transfer.
Now he is adamant that the club be self sufficient.
All clubs have peaks and troughs, and when the troughs come along, that is when you need someone with the will to do something tangible about it.
We got a £7M windfall, and now the club is firmly in the black.
What people like myself are concerned about is whether the finances will be supported to the detriment of the quality of the playing staff.
The way things are looking, it would seem that if Brian wants to strengthen in certain areas, he is probably going to have to make sacrifices elsewhere.
Ok, we might have a solvent club, but how competitive will it be in the grand scheme of football ?
It's the ultimate catch 22 situation.
Were the club to find itself relegated, do we honestly have the fanbase of a Norwich to pack our ground out every week, or a chairman who will provide the will and funding to achieve promotion again? I think we have neither.
Our chairman has "form" in this respect. Relegation would mean further cloth cutting, budgeting for 8000 crowds, etc. The fallback situation.
The snag is, even at league 1 level, there are going to be other clubs who are prepared to push the envelope further than we are.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Sep 2010 13:21

Well the early season form (admiteddly with Sig) suggests we are competitive in this division and that's what matters now. Whether Sig is that important to that remains to be seen.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 03 Sep 2010 13:25

under the tin Overall, you are quite correct to make that statement, but I believe he's a changed man now.
I think that Jm had his road to jerusalem moment around about the Burnley play off defeat.
In the earlier years, he had the money and the will to broker things like underwriting the last 10M needed for the completion of the stadium, or Lita's transfer.
All clubs have peaks and troughs, and when the troughs come along, that is when you need someone with the will to do something tangible about it.
What people like myself are concerned about is whether the finances will be supported to the detriment of the quality of the playing staff.
The way things are looking, it would seem that if Brian wants to strengthen in certain areas, he is probably going to have to make sacrifices elsewhere.
Ok, we might have a solvent club, but how competitive will it be in the grand scheme of football ?
Were the club to find itself relegated, do we honestly have the fanbase of a Norwich to pack our ground out every week, or a chairman who will provide the will and funding to achieve promotion again? I think we have neither.
Our chairman has "form" in this respect. Relegation would mean further cloth cutting, budgeting for 8000 crowds, etc. The fallback situation.
The snag is, even at league 1 level, there are going to be other clubs who are prepared to push the envelope further than we are.

Well written and agree almost fully.

You are quite right about JM no longer wanting to commit any cash. And that's fair enough, he's done enough already. But the real dilemma will come if and when the threat of relegation turns into a probability. Whatever JM says, RFC is a millstone around his neck right now. He doesn't need the hassle and is probably both bored and saddened by what football has become. But equally, he'll not want to kiss goodbye to the chance of maximising his return, and the best place for that is at the highest level of the game. If we can't make that, he'll do his best to make sure we don't slip any further as for every league we fall, he'll see £20m wiped from his windfall.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 03 Sep 2010 14:16

Focher Leave those with a hint of realism and experience of the harsher times to enjoy the fact that we are a lot better than we used to be, but still a small town club.

Just a small town club
Hasn’t got a local pub
It took a free transfer going anywhere.....

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Sep 2010 15:28

Who Moved The Goalposts?
under the tin Overall, you are quite correct to make that statement, but I believe he's a changed man now.

Well written and agree almost fully.

You are quite right about JM no longer wanting to commit any cash. And that's fair enough, he's done enough already. But the real dilemma will come if and when the threat of relegation turns into a probability. Whatever JM says, RFC is a millstone around his neck right now. He doesn't need the hassle and is probably both bored and saddened by what football has become. But equally, he'll not want to kiss goodbye to the chance of maximising his return, and the best place for that is at the highest level of the game. If we can't make that, he'll do his best to make sure we don't slip any further as for every league we fall, he'll see £20m wiped from his windfall.

as we saw last year, if relegation threatens JM will Act quickly and decisively to atler our course.for exactly these reasons

Sir Dodger Royal
Location: Cyberspace - pulling the strings. You know it makes sense.

Crawley Town Bigger Spenders than RFC

by Sir Dodger Royal » 05 Sep 2010 17:53

It just shows how far the Royals have fallen in terms of investment in players when Crawley Town FC Confernece Club buy a new player for £275000 just below the transfer deadline closed, whilst Reading manage just £100K investment after selling a player for £7million.

What a joke club but the Madmans bank balance has improved. Donut is happy as well but that doesn't mean much for the poodle. He would be happy with a bone.

Well Sir Dodger isn't happy and he is the main mannnnn

In a few years maybe Crawley will be playing the Royals in Division One!

You know it could just happen. Real Factsssssss

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Crawley Town Bigger Spenders than RFC

by NR_Royal » 05 Sep 2010 17:58

We brought in Griffin, Khiz, Williams, Harte and potentially Hendrie, with one or two loan signings due soon. We've spent some, if not a lot of money and with a loan signing or two we're really not that bad.

:roll:

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 05 Sep 2010 18:27

Watch Crawley FLYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 05 Sep 2010 18:46

This is the same Crawley that will go bust is they dont go up this year?

270 posts