Woodcote Royal
Snowball Absolutely.

Can't complain about the points per game
so need to switch to "the beautiful game" BS

and if we were playing great football and losing
then it'd be all about results being what mattered

and if we played beautiful football and won
they'd complain about the pies at half-time

Even when winning whilst playing beautiful football they'd still find plenty to moan about without having to resort to pies :P

The pies are the final back up, like the mealie-bag redoubt in Zulu

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Back from the Game - 'boro

by Woodcote Royal » 01 Mar 2012 10:03

ZacNaloen I don't mind our style, but I would prefer it if we could do it and hold on to the ball for longer when we do have it. Would make us much more effective. That isn't about Barcelona style football, it's just not being sloppy in possession. Which largely we are.

When it matters we are superb at keeping possession (playing out 1-0 wins with the ball by the corner flag) but what has changed (and this seems lost on Dellor and Gooding but not Claridge :|) is that we are happy for the opposition to have the ball in areas where they can't hurt us.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 01 Mar 2012 10:09

It just does my nut when we pass the ball to the opposition, that's all really :lol:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 01 Mar 2012 10:27

Simon's Church
ZacNaloen I don't mind our style, but I would prefer it if we could do it and hold on to the ball for longer when we do have it. Would make us much more effective. That isn't about Barcelona style football, it's just not being sloppy in possession. Which largely we are.

Agree with this, the sit deep and counter attack is fine and can be quite exciting, it's when we have time and space on the ball and still play a percentage ball into the channel or just plain get rid that's annoying.

thats the thing with percentage ballls, they onlly work a percentage of the time

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 01 Mar 2012 10:29

And usually a low one, research says 19%

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 01 Mar 2012 10:30

did the Wheelzboyz get a run out?

SmellyAli

by SmellyAli » 01 Mar 2012 10:47

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo did the Wheelzboyz get a RUN out?

]

LOL!

Additional: I'm with Royal Bod

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 01 Mar 2012 11:04

I think as far as "our style" goes its important to differentiate between percentage balls into the channels and misplaced passes.

The former is a deliberate tactic which allows either the forward to stretch the oppostion centre halves and which even if our player doesn't get the ball allows us to squeeze the game and defend higher up the pitch.

FWIW I think we've been trying to mix it up a little bit more since Roberts' arrival by playing a few more balls into his feet. When these go astray it's more of a case of a misplaced pass and is more of a risk to us defensively because it doesn't allow us to defend from the front as such.

The former is a product of "our style" while the latter is more a case of poor execution.

old woman

by old woman » 01 Mar 2012 17:07

Have to agree with this. On Saturday the players got rid of the ball ASAP, without pausing and considering the best move. It seemed more "hot potato" than quick passing. Both teams were sloppy in possession.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 02 Mar 2012 10:53

In defence of the team, Boro were on us the minute one of our lads got the ball. The quick passing was more out of necessity than style.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 02 Mar 2012 11:19

Vision I think as far as "our style" goes its important to differentiate between percentage balls into the channels and misplaced passes.

The former is a deliberate tactic which allows either the forward to stretch the oppostion centre halves and which even if our player doesn't get the ball allows us to squeeze the game and defend higher up the pitch.

FWIW I think we've been trying to mix it up a little bit more since Roberts' arrival by playing a few more balls into his feet. When these go astray it's more of a case of a misplaced pass and is more of a risk to us defensively because it doesn't allow us to defend from the front as such.

The former is a product of "our style" while the latter is more a case of poor execution.

Your 2nd para is just a very nice way of saying that we hit it long and just hope that somebody just might make something of it.
I remember the bloke who was once on the FA coaching staff trying to justify this Wimbledon/Watford approach especially as it means that the ball is in the other half so the opposition can't score.
I do agree with you that with Roberts' arrival there is at least some more constructive approach play with the ball being played to feet,something that hasn't happened since the golden days of Kitson.
We get away with giving possession away at this level (and have been successful at making the most of limited opportunities)but it would be no good to make this our general way of playing if we went up as we would be punished by better players.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Mar 2012 13:13

Stoke?

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 02 Mar 2012 13:15

Sure, ok. See you in Palmer Park at 10pm.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 02 Mar 2012 18:12

I'll admit that I haven't seen much of us this season (the only game I've been to is Palace away) apart from what I see on television. I'm gpoing to Millwall tomorrow and the Pompey home game, where I expect to see us play with a strong defence and with two good wingers. If this is what it needs to get us promoted, then bring it on!! Lets not worry about next season until next season. At the moment we look like we're good enough to get promoted playing the way we are. If we go up, we don't want to try and play better football than Man U or City, because they'll annihilate us. If we play in much the same way as this season, but with a few better players, I think we'll be OK!!

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 02 Mar 2012 18:19

Hampshire Royal I'll admit that I haven't seen much of us this season (the only game I've been to is Palace away) apart from what I see on television. I'm gpoing to Millwall tomorrow and the Pompey home game, where I expect to see us play with a strong defence and with two good wingers. If this is what it needs to get us promoted, then bring it on!! Lets not worry about next season until next season. At the moment we look like we're good enough to get promoted playing the way we are. If we go up, we don't want to try and play better football than Man U or City, because they'll annihilate us. If we play in much the same way as this season, but with a few better players, I think we'll be OK!!

My god, how have you lasted over 1000 posts on here with balanced views like that?

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 02 Mar 2012 18:34

It's a curse!!!

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 02 Mar 2012 18:43

Hampshire Royal I'll admit that I haven't seen much of us this season (the only game I've been to is Palace away) apart from what I see on television. I'm gpoing to Millwall tomorrow and the Pompey home game, where I expect to see us play with a strong defence and with two good wingers. If this is what it needs to get us promoted, then bring it on!! Lets not worry about next season until next season. At the moment we look like we're good enough to get promoted playing the way we are. If we go up, we don't want to try and play better football than Man U or City, because they'll annihilate us. If we play in much the same way as this season, but with a few better players, I think we'll be OK!!

Excellent post! One game at a time and all that...

137 posts