Alex Pearce

769 posts
Cypry

Re: Alex Pearce

by Cypry » 04 Nov 2012 13:45

Royal Lady
Ian Royal No idea. I'm baffled.

I just never subscribe to conspiracy what I can put down to stupidity / incompetence unless there's actually some evidence for the conspiracy. And McDermott's the one with the track record, qualifications and who sees them all every day. Maybe he just knows better than most of us and Pearce shouldn't be playing.

blueroyals
McD was on saying that Pearce was dropped for Morrison because Pearce rejected a new contract and Morrison didn't. Dellor 'did his nuts' at the thought of Pearce rejecting a contract and Ady had a dig at the club saying that they don't value their players.

Dreadful management.

Or greedy player.....

Any opportunity to slate the club eh?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 04 Nov 2012 13:47

Not really no. You'd be surprised how supportive I've been of the club in other areas.

You don't leave one of your better CBs on the bench when you're struggling - and to leave him out because he won't sign a contract, rather than because he's not playing well or there are far better players than him, is just very short-sighted. He's never going to sign now, is he? He's never complained (not so that any fans are aware anyway) and he's been great for this club.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Nov 2012 13:49

Great play from our CB's for the goal. Good to see players who are willing to work for their club rather than being a greedy money grabber like some people.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 04 Nov 2012 13:50

I'm sure Pearce WANTS to play - he'd just like some parity with the wages of the likes of Gorkss and Mariappa I expect. :| It's not like he's REFUSING to play now is it?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Nov 2012 13:53

If he wants to play then he should sign a very generous contract that is certainly worth far more than the average person would earn rather than looking for more money

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 04 Nov 2012 13:53

The greedy player comment is interesting considering Pogrebnyak is on around 38k a week. I'd argue in Pearce's defence for asking for more money, and the same for any Reading player now. The club created their own problem when they brought Pogrebnyak in on that money.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 04 Nov 2012 13:54

Depends how "generous" it is with regard to his fellow team mates. It might be a lot more than you or I may earn, but that's not quite the point really is it? :|

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Nov 2012 13:57

Friday's Legacy The greedy player comment is interesting considering Pogrebnyak is on around 38k a week. I'd argue in Pearce's defence for asking for more money, and the same for any Reading player now. The club created their own problem when they brought Pogrebnyak in on that money.

Russia international who has played in Europe's top club competitions and scored PL goals last year. You don't see Real Madrid paying Arbeloa the same amount as Ronaldo do you? or Barcelona paying Adriano the same as Messi.
Last edited by sandman on 04 Nov 2012 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 04 Nov 2012 13:57

Doesn't have to be the same - but if it's significantly less then I'd be pissed off too.

Cypry

by Cypry » 04 Nov 2012 14:00

Do you really believe that if the club thought there was any chance of him signing then he wouldn't be playing?

They've been trying to do a deal since the Summer, and seem to have reached an impasse...

If he's not going to sign, then we'll try to sell in January, or he'll be gone in June - McDermott likes to build a team and will keep the backbone as unchanged as possible, so it makes complete sense not to start Pearce, and to give Morrison / Gorkks / Marriapa a chance to bed in, then, if that doesn't work, get another option at CB in January....

As for the greedy player stuff, he obviously wants more than we want to offer him, and I'm sure we'll be offering him what we think he's worth - all I was doing is offering another perspective. Lots of people seem to assume that it's the clubs fault that a new contract hasn't been agreed, but it takes two to make an agreement - who's to say that the player isn't being completely unreasonable in his demands?

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 04 Nov 2012 14:01

God help us if one of our CB's gets injured today.

We really could do without 15 minutes of added on time allowed for Hammond to get down to the dug out with a pen and paper!

Cypry

by Cypry » 04 Nov 2012 14:01

Royal Lady Doesn't have to be the same - but if it's significantly less then I'd be pissed off too.

But you're making an ASSUMPTION that it is significantly less, and slating the club on that basis....

I'm trying to offer a more balanced opinion......

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 04 Nov 2012 14:02

Cypry
Royal Lady Doesn't have to be the same - but if it's significantly less then I'd be pissed off too.

But you're making an ASSUMPTION that it is significantly less, and slating the club on that basis....

I'm trying to offer a more balanced opinion......

Yeah. That's why I said "IF" it's significantly less.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 04 Nov 2012 14:12

On this evidence Morrison and Pearce would be formidable. You know its right McDermott.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Nov 2012 14:13

They would be if Pearce wasn't such a greedy money grabber.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 04 Nov 2012 14:17

sandman They would be if Pearce wasn't such a greedy money grabber.

Oh give it a rest. You don't know that it is the case. Until you know what he is paid and what he is offered, you can't say. What we can say though is that it is madness not to play someone just because of a contract issue.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Nov 2012 14:17

Well that was easy.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 04 Nov 2012 14:19

Heard he wants us to match the offer Liverpool will make him. £50k a week.

Cypry

by Cypry » 04 Nov 2012 14:19

Royal Lady
sandman They would be if Pearce wasn't such a greedy money grabber.

Oh give it a rest. You don't know that it is the case. Until you know what he is paid and what he is offered, you can't say. What we can say though is that it is madness not to play someone just because of a contract issue.

But it isn't madness is it?

If the club have reached the position where they've given up on keeping him, then it's perfectly sensible not to play him and to focus on building partnerships for the future.....

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 04 Nov 2012 14:21

Yes, like I said, same with Sidwell, Sig and Long? :roll:

769 posts