Mcdonut (sorry Brian) out Di Canio in......please

246 posts
Born 'n Bred Royal

Re: Mcdonut (sorry Brian) out Di Canio in......please

by Born 'n Bred Royal » 10 Mar 2013 19:14

What a joke of a thread this is.

If Di Canio came in I'd be fuming. No experience above League one level as a manager and from what I've heard he seems to be very hard to control so no way at all the Directors would go for him anyway.

Also, I've seen parky's name banded about as well - another ridiculous suggestion. Ok, they worked a miracle this season to get to the League Cup final, but look where they are in League Two. He doesn't have enough experience to manage at this level yet.

Whether you people like it or not, McDermott is here to stay and he should definitely be given a few months next season if we go down to try and get promoted at the first time of asking. He's done it once, so why not again?

To call him McDonut is utterly disrespectful to only the second Reading manager to get us promoted to the top flight. Pretty disgusted by this tbh, you should hang your head in shame

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Mcdonut out Di Canio in......please

by Millsy » 10 Mar 2013 19:25

Arnie_Pie Anyone that is calling Brian McDermott, McDonut, go oxf*rd yourselves. oxf*rd.

Exactly.

The stupidity of some fans astounds me.

Worth another championship season.

Punk Tew Asian

by Punk Tew Asian » 10 Mar 2013 19:59

It's always easy to blame the manager when things go wrong. Don't forget just what a fantastic job Brian's done in his time with the Club; much of what Steve Coppell achieved was thanks to BMcD's work behind the scenes, finding many of the players who achieved so much so cheaply and then motivating them.
I know many of you will disagree, but I'm not sure that anyone's to blame really. The fact is that he's built this squad on a shoestring (with the notable exception of Pog who probably wasn't his choice anyway).
You could blame Anton for not 'investing' more, but he would only have lent the money to the Club and, at some stage, it would almost certainly have to be repaid. Would you really want to gamble like QPR? OK, that might end up working for them, but it's hugely irresponsible what's been done there and is just the sort of scenario that Financial Fair Play is designed to prevent. In any case, I doubt that Anton could have done any more to back BMcD in getting Gylfi back.
You could (and do) blame the players, but, for goodness sake, is there anyone you could say isn't busting a gut to help the team succeed? Certainly not Jobi who runs his socks off and IMO is only identified for his mistakes because he is so involved in the play.
Yes, of course, based on the last few performances, you would have to say that the team just isn't good enough to stay up, but you wouldn't have said that on January's evidence. So much of it boils down to confidence which is the most important, yet most fragile, commodity in football. Slagging off the manager and players, either individually or as a group, is a surefire way to destroy confidence, leading to more mistakes and accelerating the drop. Is that what any of us want, even if it makes us feel big or better when we do it?
Let's recognise that they all want to stay up and Brian in particular, wants to do it for us - so let's give them all our support.

Blackbag

by Blackbag » 10 Mar 2013 20:04

Firstly Mc Dermott is a legend at the club and shouldnt have the piss taken out of him by our own fans BUT it is time to move on curtainly at the end of the season all the work to get to the PL to just go staightvback down is hard to take i personly would love to see Atkins or De Canio,i wonder if AZ was going to get rid of Mc D earlier prehaps someone changed his mind [he was preatty pissed off after the Arsenal league cup game]/ and now were as good as down he can do really what he wanted to do

fedders1871

by fedders1871 » 10 Mar 2013 20:14

i wouldn't want him to get rid of brian now, look at wolves last season it was laughable and look at them now. as much as i like mcdermott his managerial skills in the premierleague has been off the target.
1. tactics - can't get the right mix
2. man management - guthrie arguments throughout the season along with him falling out roberts (rumour) and federici now and when he dropped him at the start of the season.
3. the starting line up
4. deluded with his championship winning players that aren't good enough and then makes the wrong subs

but end of season he might go but if we're getting someone in then i want someone worth it and i know adkins is decent but he's so irritating and not the type of person I'd want

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 10 Mar 2013 21:03

I think brian staying next season is best for the club

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Mar 2013 21:05

ManchesterRoyals
Ian Royal
ManchesterRoyals
But he also said this evening on radio that they tried and tried to sign Gylfi Sigurðsson but it didnt come off, so why the hell leave it till the last day of transfer window to sign him and why didnt he try to by some other decent quality players for the supposed 10mill mentioned or is it a cover up for the shit signings he has made this season

What? Like Ince and Rogic?

The gylfi deal was dependent on spurs making a signing which only fell through on the last day. Will you grow a brain please.

What another 2 that never come off

Oh, I see. They didn't get completed so you'll completely ignore them and pretend that they weren't real efforts to sign players, just to suit your cretinous agenda.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 10 Mar 2013 21:49

Adkins achievements:
Promoted with Scunthorpe
Promoted twice with Southampton
(Struggled in the PL)

McDermott's achievements:
Saved Reading from relegation
Play off final with Reading
Promoted with Reading
(Struggled in the PL)

Now I see why you all hate McDermott...

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 Mar 2013 22:14

Di canio would want to do it his way.

Having seen his antics over the road. You really wouldn't.

JM has guided this club very carefully now for over 20 years to establish it. DIC could easily destroy it all in a matter of months.

fedders1871

by fedders1871 » 10 Mar 2013 22:17

well tonight we'll see what AZ says

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Mar 2013 23:03

SCIAG Adkins achievements:
Promoted with Scunthorpe
Promoted twice with Southampton
(Struggled in the PL)

McDermott's achievements:
Saved Reading from relegation
Play off final with Reading
Promoted with Reading
(Struggled in the PL)

Now I see why you all hate McDermott...

No one hates McDermott. Your list doesn't show that Adkins struggled less with the PL and learnt quicker than McDermott. Or that his side played better football.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 10 Mar 2013 23:05

Ian Royal No one hates McDermott. Your list doesn't show that Adkins struggled less with the PL and learnt quicker than McDermott. Or that his side played better football.

...... or that he spent ~ £20 MILLION more than us and managed to get about 2-3 places higher. Woo! Go team Adkins!

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 10 Mar 2013 23:08

Adkins tactical ineptitude threw away a whole lot of points earlier in the season, by making insanely defensive substitutions to try and defends leads when they were easily on top. Almost every time it killed the team and they ended up throwing away the points.

Hence why many Saints fans weren't actually all that fussed when he was (surprisingly) sacked

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Mar 2013 23:18

John Madejski's Wallet Adkins tactical ineptitude threw away a whole lot of points earlier in the season, by making insanely defensive substitutions to try and defends leads when they were easily on top. Almost every time it killed the team and they ended up throwing away the points.

Hence why many Saints fans weren't actually all that fussed when he was (surprisingly) sacked

Yes, but he improved and learnt from those mistakes.

I'm not calling for McDermott to be sacked, but Adkins is the best alternative I can think of who fits our mould and might actually take the approach we need to move on. Something I'm not convinced McDermott can do. But we'll find out, because I can't see him getting sacked or resigning before November.

JS28ZoD

by JS28ZoD » 11 Mar 2013 00:03

Please get rid of this terrible thread.

RoyalX

by RoyalX » 11 Mar 2013 02:28

I feel a little bit like I've walked into a room where everyone has had their memory wiped. Has everyone forgotten that we tried switching to a passing style of play, it didn't work and nearly got us relegated from the Championship? Do you seriously expect the results would be different under Adkins than Rodgers?

Oh and yes this season is McDermott's fault, as mentioned previously in the thread. Definitely his fault that we overachieved and ended up the top division.

This whole thread is completely embarrassing.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 11 Mar 2013 02:40

RoyalX I feel a little bit like I've walked into a room where everyone has had their memory wiped. Has everyone forgotten that we tried switching to a passing style of play, it didn't work and nearly got us relegated from the Championship? Do you seriously expect the results would be different under Adkins than Rodgers?

Oh and yes this season is McDermott's fault, as mentioned previously in the thread. Definitely his fault that we overachieved and ended up the top division.

This whole thread is completely embarrassing.

Rodgers almost got us relegated because he didn't strike a balance and remained stubborn (bit like McDermott, stubborn). I tell you what is embarrassing, Reading FC a Premier League club who cannot pass a ball.

When Rodgers was in charge we dominated games for 45mins and couldn't score, we were then completely awful in the second half (On Average). Very much like Liverpool at the moment, completely inconsistent but they have players like Saurez to drag them forward.

Our model should be based on a shit Man Utd not a Swansea, Liverpool or Arsenal. Blend our style of fast wingers with a number 10 and more competent central midfielders and get some fullbacks willing to overlap.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 11 Mar 2013 05:34

The bottom line is that BMcD does not have a clue as to his best starting 11 let alone what formation they should be playing. The current style of football is Sunday pub team at best and it is an embarrassment to see how far backwards this club has travelled.

I concede and accept that the sale of top quality players like Doyle, Sigurdsson and, to a lesser extent Long (He only had one good season remember), has left the club befeft of any real quality and talent. The tools to do a decent job in the Prem were not there at the start of the season. 2 Transfer windows later and that is still the case. Has there been any real improvement in the quality of football since August? No.

Much that people here despise Warnock, he recognised very early on that Liegertwood and Gorkss were not of Premier League standard. But not BMcD. Oh no. Persists with both long past their sell by date.

How have the new signings fared? Have any set the world alight? How many times have any of you been brought to the edge of your seats or to your feet because of a brilliant flowing, passing move or by a clever drop of a shoulder to create space? The simple fact is that BMcD is not good enough and neither is the squad of players. That he performed miracles over the previous seasons to firstly stave off relegation, reach the play offs then gain promotion speaks volumes of his abilities. Unfortunately, that counts for nothing in this league and his lack of nous, guile, experience and ability to motivate stands out more than anything.

I see no point in removing him now. This needs to be done after relegation is confirmed and a new manager brought in within 24 hours. The new man, whoever it may be, needs to be given carte blanche to assess the squad, decide who should stay and who should go and then be given the funds to build a squad capable of playing football on the deck the sort of which we saw under Coppell in 05/06/07 and McGhee in 93/4/5.

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 11 Mar 2013 07:51

Loving the idea of replacing the manager who finished first in the championship last season with the manager who finished second. Some sound logic right there.

In his three and a bit years with us, McDermott has brought us 2 FA Cup quarter-finals, saved us from relegation, got us into a playoff final and then champions last season. This season has been a sharp learning curve for everyone at the club, but calling for the head of arguably our greatest manager ever is frankly ridiculous, and I can see no manager who I'd rather have at the club next season for a promotion push.

And you never know, we aren't relegated this season yet. It's going to take a massive effort but it ain't over til it's over.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 11 Mar 2013 07:55

Di Canio, no thanks.

Should McDermott go Adkins would be a good replacement.

246 posts