77%

Total votes: 332
creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Di Canio a few things you all should know by a Swindon f

by creative_username_1 » 11 Mar 2013 22:37

Royal Lady
royalexile
Royal Lady However, it would be good to join STAR just to see his antics at a Fan's Forum, if he ever turned up....

Can i ruck up is Lederhosen, greased down side parting and a silly walk.

I'm going as that blonde German woman from Allo Allo...

Helga, played by Kim Hartman #wnakscock

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Di Canio a few things you all should know by a Swindon f

by creative_username_1 » 11 Mar 2013 22:38

TBM
bigdon Hello my Reading Chums looks like Paolo is going to get the gig enjoy the ride. Here are a few things you should know to help you get on with your new boss.

1. Training for your players will be hard and I mean hard. Think SAS selection process.

2. If you have any big time charlie type players they are finished. Its Paolos way of your out (Or fascism as its otherwise known).

3. Paolo is basically an exact clone of the London Gangster Frankie Frazer 40 years ago.

4. Paulo has a team of about 6 people who will have varies jobs and titles their only use or importance is to manage Paolo. The most important of these people is Phil Spencer. Without Phil spencer there is no Paolo. Phil spencer will be the most important person at your club. You may not believe this now but you will find out why soon enough.

5. Paolo will think he is bigger than your club.

6. When Paolo is quiet be afraid be very afraid. If Paolo has a rant/meltdown which is about probably around 1 in every 3 games this is good it is very good it means next game you will always get a result.

7. Paolo is more passionate than your most passionate fan(might not be for very long though).

8.Paulo does tend to say f*ck quite a lot in interviews. Generally our local radio reporters tended to let it go but this could cause problems on match of the day etc.

9. Paulo will spend and spend big. Dont be surprised if he signs someone for 10 million on a monday then by wedensday says "Well he isnt as good as i thought he was" and then blames it on the player. Paolo would also spend 10 million on a player and deliberately keep him on the bench for 5 weeks to show him who is boss.

10. The Fascism thing really wont be an issue. Lets be honest If you get a draw at Old Trafford or the emirites you will all be following the fascist. I mean that as a fickle football fan and in the nicest possible way.

Welcome to management by hand grenade.

I'm actually looking forward to it now!

+1

mouthandtrousers

Re: Fans' Verdict - Di Canio?

by mouthandtrousers » 11 Mar 2013 22:40

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 11 Mar 2013 22:41

Tutti avanti ave Ken Dodd

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Why are you all so obssessed with the Paulo facist issue

by Gunny Fishcake » 11 Mar 2013 23:17

Norfolk Royal In my case it's because my grandfather fought against the Italian fascists in the Second World War and in his memory I'm not going to actively support a team led by one. I'm not saying everyone should hold that view and certainly wouldn't urge them to have the same view, just a personal standpoint.

Respect

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Mar 2013 23:27

I think he'd get up everybody's nose with his look at me Billy Big Bollocks attitude. I'd rather have a manager who wasn't clinically insane.

old woman

Re: Why are you all so obssessed with the Paulo facist issue

by old woman » 11 Mar 2013 23:30

I have never voted for Thatcher and could not accept a fascist as the manager of my football team.
Maybe I am foolish but I have a moral code that means I cannot accept what he stands for.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 11 Mar 2013 23:56

Good read: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/paolo-di-canio-my-life-speaks-for-me-6273526.html

The truth is that – today at least – you don't have to spend long with Di Canio to realise he is not a demented fascista; neither does he have any time for the sort of repugnant racial opinions held by at least two English Premier League footballers I can think of (and that's without even trying). While he was in Italy, his column in the national sport newspaper Corriere dello Sport routinely took the form of a rant against the idiocy of racism.

"The truth is very simple," said one respected source who knows Di Canio well, but was insistent that his name should not appear in this article. "Paolo is not, and has never been, a bad person, or an ideological fascist. Certain things he has said and done – like the salute with the Lazio fans – have to do with his psychological history, particularly his former compulsive tendencies and pronounced mood swings. Paolo is not mad. But he has had, as he describes in his autobiography... episodes."

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 12 Mar 2013 00:04

He still has the belief whether he shouts it from the rooftops is irrelevant. Is that so hard for you to understand?

‘I will always salute as I did because it gives me a sense of belonging to my people…I saluted my people with what for me is a sign of belonging to a group that holds true values, values of civility against the standardisation that this society imposes upon us.’ … Di Canio

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 12 Mar 2013 00:08

I cannot help but picture Martin Allen when I think of PDC. Not that Martin is a fascist, but in so many other respects they come across the same.

I would not be happy with either as manager.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 12 Mar 2013 00:11

sandman He still has the belief whether he shouts it from the rooftops is irrelevant. Is that so hard for you to understand?

‘I will always salute as I did because it gives me a sense of belonging to my people…I saluted my people with what for me is a sign of belonging to a group that holds true values, values of civility against the standardisation that this society imposes upon us.’ … Di Canio

Just sharing an article m8, an article which I'd imagine is more researched and informed than your post.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 12 Mar 2013 00:13

winchester_royal Good read: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/paolo-di-canio-my-life-speaks-for-me-6273526.html

The truth is that – today at least – you don't have to spend long with Di Canio to realise he is not a demented fascista; neither does he have any time for the sort of repugnant racial opinions held by at least two English Premier League footballers I can think of (and that's without even trying). While he was in Italy, his column in the national sport newspaper Corriere dello Sport routinely took the form of a rant against the idiocy of racism.

"The truth is very simple," said one respected source who knows Di Canio well, but was insistent that his name should not appear in this article. "Paolo is not, and has never been, a bad person, or an ideological fascist. Certain things he has said and done – like the salute with the Lazio fans – have to do with his psychological history, particularly his former compulsive tendencies and pronounced mood swings. Paolo is not mad. But he has had, as he describes in his autobiography... episodes."

Like I said...he is not a racist.

But that doesn't mean he is still anything but a fascist. And my personal politics being from the left I don't like fascism at all. Normally I would be very excited with an Italian taking over managing the team I support, seeing I am 100% Italian in my ancestry, but in this case I am not. :|

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 12 Mar 2013 00:14

Can't vote as I am so undecided.

Would either be a stunning success of a huge disaster, very little chance of anything in between.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 12 Mar 2013 00:18

sandman

Can't see much wrong there to be fair

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 12 Mar 2013 00:19

Libertine
winchester_royal Good read: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/paolo-di-canio-my-life-speaks-for-me-6273526.html

Like I said...he is not a racist.

But that doesn't mean he is still anything but a fascist. And my personal politics being from the left I don't like fascism at all. Normally I would be very excited with an Italian taking over managing the team I support, seeing I am 100% Italian in my ancestry, but in this case I am not. :|

He's clearly a complete mentalist, but I'm not sure his supposed 'fascism' arises from anything other than a need for belonging rather than genuine beliefs. His actions, as the article states, are more out of compulsion and passion rather than clinical political beliefs.

Are his views any more radical than the average man down the pub? Are his beliefs any more unreasonable than those expressed by UKIP who came 2nd in a recent by-election? I remain unconvinced.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 12 Mar 2013 00:38

winchester_royal He's clearly a complete mentalist, but I'm not sure his supposed 'fascism' arises from anything other than a need for belonging rather than genuine beliefs. His actions, as the article states, are more out of compulsion and passion rather than clinical political beliefs.

Are his views any more radical than the average man down the pub? Are his beliefs any more unreasonable than those expressed by UKIP who came 2nd in a recent by-election? I remain unconvinced.

He is what us Italians call "Your crazy uncle". He is completely mental. But enbracing fascism because you feel a need to be accepted by any group of people who will have you? He is well aware of the history of fascism, and fascism in Italy. For him to embrace that cannot be explained away...

Kebe is our Messi

by Kebe is our Messi » 12 Mar 2013 00:43

Absolutely dont want this d*ckhead as our new manager, he is everything reading football club are not about. Demanding money, talking publicly/ blaming players, always has something to say, taunting opposition, this guy couldnt be a worse option for us.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 12 Mar 2013 00:44

winchester_royal He's clearly a complete mentalist, but I'm not sure his supposed 'fascism' arises from anything other than a need for belonging rather than genuine beliefs. His actions, as the article states, are more out of compulsion and passion rather than clinical political beliefs.

I would like to put on the record my opposition to the "average man down the pub" becoming Reading FC manager. The "average man down the pub" can be ignored if their views are ridiculous, I do not have to go and support them every Saturday.

Also I believe you are confusing UKIP, a party whose focus is on European mass immigration and just Europe in general, with the BNP, a fascist, racist party that is the scourge of this country.
Similarly, the general interchanging between the Conservatives and Fascism on this board is a bit ridiculous, has nobody heard of WInston Churchill?

Anyway, due to many people's views about UKIP, it would be a divisive and confrontational move to appoint a manager who is known to be a diehard supporter of UKIP and therefore it would be a bad appointment. This relates to Di Canio, if the Reading Board have any sense they will understand that many Reading fans will be deeply unhappy about the appointment of a known Fascist. Unfortunately, McDermott ended on a bad footing with a proportion of fans, it would be very foolish to then select a manager who is already unpopular with a proportion of fans.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 12 Mar 2013 00:46

Libertine

He is what us Italians call "Your crazy uncle". He is completely mental. But enbracing fascism because you feel a need to be accepted by any group of people who will have you? He is well aware of the history of fascism, and fascism in Italy. For him to embrace that cannot be explained away...

It's not acceptable no, of course not, but if you read the article in full you will perhaps get a better understanding of the reasons, and the new found maturity he has. Will it make a difference to your opinion? Probably not, but writing a man off based on a loose understanding of his beliefs is as wrong as fascism IMO.

Seriously, the article if he gets the job is a must read before any choose to 'protest' or 'boycott' or whatever. At least after you'll know who/why he is.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/paolo-di-canio-my-life-speaks-for-me-6273526.html

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 12 Mar 2013 00:49

P!ssed Off

I would like to put on the record my opposition to the "average man down the pub" becoming Reading FC manager. The "average man down the pub" can be ignored if their views are ridiculous, I do not have to go and support them every Saturday.

Also I believe you are confusing UKIP, a party whose focus is on European mass immigration and just Europe in general, with the BNP, a fascist, racist party that is the scourge of this country.
Similarly, the general interchanging between the Conservatives and Fascism on this board is a bit ridiculous, has nobody heard of WInston Churchill?

Anyway, due to many people's views about UKIP, it would be a divisive and confrontational move to appoint a manager who is known to be a diehard supporter of UKIP and therefore it would be a bad appointment. This relates to Di Canio, if the Reading Board have any sense they will understand that many Reading fans will be deeply unhappy about the appointment of a known Fascist. Unfortunately, McDermott ended on a bad footing with a proportion of fans, it would be very foolish to then select a manager who is already unpopular with a proportion of fans.

Nope, I'm not confusing them thanks. UKIP have certain views on immigration/society that could easily be construed as fascist.

Anyway, I'm wholly unconvinced that Di Canio is a 'fascist' in a way that modern connotations would suggest.

302 posts