BFTG QPR

217 posts
Huckleberry Hound

Re: BFTG QPR

by Huckleberry Hound » 10 Nov 2013 16:33

At the time, I thought their free kick went through the gap created by Assou-Ekotto, but having watched the FLS it was a lot more in the corner. In fact, Assou-Ekotto almost pushed Guthrie into blocking it. Both Guthrie & Gunter flinched, so I'd hold them jointly responsible with McCarthy, who should have been covering that side better.

I though Obita could have stayed on his feet instead of going down so easily in the first half, but seeing the penalties won by Chelsea & Leicester yesterday some refs would have given it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Nov 2013 17:12

Maguire
Snowball when I heard the two teams I thought we'd do well to only lose 0-3

:| :| :|

OKay game yday to be fair, Pog was clearly our best player and i'm pleasantly surprised to see almost everybody say the same on this thread. Not seen his yellow card again but IMHO the ref really didn't like him, gave him nothing all game, and booked him for a sedate tackle the moment he had a chance.

McCarthy played well in general but let himself down for the goal. Positioned himself so he was never saving anything that side - could see the goal coming a mile off.

I could see it being given as a foul reasonably regularly because he slid in, although I think he was in control and definitely got the ball. But a yellow card was just plain silly from what I saw (TV because I'm a bellend and forgot the game was 12.15 kick and couldn't make it by the time I realised).

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Nov 2013 18:05

RoyalBlue
Hoop Blah
Snowball Special mention for Gorkss. He got better an better as the game went on.

Finally, the goal that cost us what could've been an unlikely victory on the balance of play. Awful defending from Gorks and Gunter, it McCarthy really should've been in a position to save the free kick once Gunter bottled it. The wall was fine but McCarthy started half a yard too far to his right and probably with his weight on the wrong foot which meant he was too stretched to keep it out.

Keepers will align their wall to cover one side of their goal and will then position themselves so they are better placed to cover the other side. I believe McCarthy had positioned his wall to cover his left (and it would have worked but for Gunter moving) and was covering his right - hence your view that he was stood half a yard too far to his right with weight on the wrong foot. The wall failed us, not McCarthy.

You're kidding me?

The keeper should set his wall to cover the near post (McCarthy's right and the opposite corner to where Barton scored). McCarthy had his wall in the right place but the lose men were moved about by the QPR payers and McCarthy was slightly too central (perhaps because his wall ended up with one toomfew bodies in it). He should've been, and was, covering the side to his left.

Gunter bottled blocking the ball and McCarthy got caught out by a decent free kick. All things considered I'd say Gunters is the worst of the two errors as Barton hit the free kick well and McCarthy almost kept it out.

Edit: this shows it better than most angles I've seen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kag1wNZ ... tube_gdata - Video Tube for YouTube - iPhone/iPad)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Nov 2013 18:49

Yeah not best placed and not ideal to have a fractured wall. Not exactly worth slating him for. Any three of four does a better job (Gorkss' foul, Guthrie and Gunter in the wall, McCarthy in goal) and it's not a goal. No one individual particularly stands out.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 10 Nov 2013 19:08

Although QPR are decent we should win our games at home if we are serious contenders. Afraid we are two or three players away from that. Cant understand why he persists with Kanu,and we don't have a tough tackler in midfield or a quick central defender

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 10 Nov 2013 19:12

Hoop Blah
Snowball Special mention for Gorkss. He got better an better as the game went on.

And then ended it poorly again. I can understand the point made above about Adkins having to make some change after last week, but I think it was harsh on Pearce judged on first team performances this season as I think he's been the most consistent and reliable of our defenders.

I also agree with snowball that it appears we lack a bit of character in the side, and that natural calming leader to keep things on an even keel when things go against us.

As for the game, I thought we played reasonably well in parts again. At times we looked miles off though as QPR pulled us apart. Earlier in the season many on here were saying how Adkins has to win the league as he has the strongest squad in the division. Hopefully after yesterday people will realise that's not quite the case.

We desperately need a proper left back to act as cover for Bridge, especially now he's likely out for 6 weeks. A loan signing should be on the cards (David Fox perhaps, or maybe Bertrand if we can get really lucky!) as we need some balance down the left.

Again Robson-Kanu showed his limitations and it was like playing with ten men at times yesterday.

Finally, the goal that cost us what could've been an unlikely victory on the balance of play. Awful defending from Gorks and Gunter, it McCarthy really should've been in a position to save the free kick once Gunter bottled it. The wall was fine but McCarthy started half a yard too far to his right and probably with his weight on the wrong foot which meant he was too stretched to keep it out. Three poor errors which cost us 2 valuable points.

Pretty much agree with most of this apart from Danny Fox who has got worse and worse over the past 2 seasons.
Gunter chickened out at the free-kick, for all of his athleticism he is a poor defender.
Agree about Robson-Kanu-Alf in particular must be considering his future when he keeps on losing his place to the player who has never really fulfilled his potential and is so physically weak in the challenge.

Pog continues to play like a man possessed since the transfer window closed-long may that continue.
McCarthy once again kept us in a game.
IMho Barton was streets ahead of anybody else on the pitch with an exceptional all-round midfielder's game, one minute heading clear from central defence ,the next tackling in midfield and then making the through ball pass.
An invaluable player for QPR without whom I think they would be about the same as us but with whom they have a greater chance of promotion.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 10 Nov 2013 20:03

Interesting point to note - Doncaster goal conceded, free kick wall lined up in part by Danny Guthrie. QPR goal conceded, free kick wall lined up in part by Danny Guthrie.

Why the f*ck is he getting involved in it anyway? Leave it to the sodding 'keeper!!

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 10 Nov 2013 20:09

Hoop Blah Edit: this shows it better than most angles I've seen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kag1wNZ ... tube_gdata - Video Tube for YouTube - iPhone/iPad)

100% McCarthy's fault then.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 10 Nov 2013 20:17

When you line up a wall you don't expect your right-back to turn away and create a space.
Gunter really should have taken one for the team.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Nov 2013 20:27

Handsome Man
Hoop Blah Edit: this shows it better than most angles I've seen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kag1wNZ ... tube_gdata - Video Tube for YouTube - iPhone/iPad)

100% McCarthy's fault then.

I think he should've been in a better position to save it, but as with any goal his wasn't the only short coming. Gunter turning away from the ball was pretty criminal for me and he takes the brunt of the blame from me, but Gorks made a daft tackle to give away a dangerous free kick in the first place.

McCarthy's was the final error and his job is to mop up everyone's mistakes infront of him, but to say he's 100% to blame for that goal is daft and wrong.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Nov 2013 20:31

Ian Royal Yeah not best placed and not ideal to have a fractured wall. Not exactly worth slating him for. Any three of four does a better job (Gorkss' foul, Guthrie and Gunter in the wall, McCarthy in goal) and it's not a goal. No one individual particularly stands out.

He's made an error that meant they scored an equaliser. His job is to not make those errors and I bet he's looking at it as something he needs to improve on and not something that just gets brushed aside.

He had an otherwise very good game though. He didn't make any saves I wouldn't expect a keeper of his quality to make, but he made them all quite comfortably from what I remember and looked quite assured in the other parts of his game too, the odd kick also letting him down of course.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 10 Nov 2013 20:59

Victor Meldrew When you line up a wall you don't expect your right-back to turn away and create a space.

He lined up the wall to take one post and should have been able to cover the other post himself. If a fantastic shot goes up-and-down into the top right corner of his goal, you just have to accept it and say well done to the scorer, but this was nothing like that - it was passed into the massive empty space he left, like a carefully taken penalty. Blaming Gunter is just scapegoating.

biff

by biff » 10 Nov 2013 21:05

Happy with the improvements on last week, not much more to be rehashed. Just a little peeved at McCarthy's kicking. It doesn't seem to ever improve and is such a glaring drawback to his game; air balls out of hand and sandwedge style lofted rubbish off the floor. The free kick near the end summed it up, wouldnt have made the half way line had he taken it from the 6 yard box.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Nov 2013 21:11

Always strikes me that when the attacking team puts someone in the wall, you could negate them by putting a defender directly behind them.

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 10 Nov 2013 21:20

Decent game yesterday to be fair, a draw was probably fair, but I thought we should and could have won. The referee was oxf*rd appalling, so many decisions that should've been given not and so many given that shouldn't have been. The way he rushed so eagerly to book Pog and then didn't blink when QPR made the same tackle a couple of minutes later summed it up for me.

McCarthy was bloody brilliant, Guthrie looked good again, it seems when he performs, the team performs. Obita looked great in short flashes and Pog is still playing great, but a few stupid decisions yesterday as well. Fair play to Gorkks for playing pretty well except for a couple of incidents, bet most didn't expect that! QPR looked a good side as well though. I'd like to back up the 'what the oxf*rd is with our throw ins?!' comments though!

Good atmosphere from both fans during the game.

Oh, and I bloody hate Barton. No real reason other than I find him to be a massive oxf*rd.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Nov 2013 21:54

Handsome Man
Victor Meldrew When you line up a wall you don't expect your right-back to turn away and create a space.

He lined up the wall to take one post and should have been able to cover the other post himself. If a fantastic shot goes up-and-down into the top right corner of his goal, you just have to accept it and say well done to the scorer, but this was nothing like that - it was passed into the massive empty space he left, like a carefully taken penalty. Blaming Gunter is just scapegoating.

It's not scapegoating, it's pointing out that if he manned up a bit and didn't pull out of the way then the free kick doesn't go in past McCarthy.

Giving him some benefit of doubt, he may have pulled out of the way for fear of giving away a penalty or deflecting the ball in, but he could've stepped into instead of away and not have done either.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 10 Nov 2013 22:09

Sanguine Always strikes me that when the attacking team puts someone in the wall, you could negate them by putting a defender directly behind them.

Yup. Zakly what I said at the time and earlier in the thread.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Nov 2013 23:02

paddy20 Although QPR are decent we should win our games at home if we are serious contenders. Afraid we are two or three players away from that. Cant understand why he persists with Kanu,and we don't have a tough tackler in midfield or a quick central defender

We're on form for a 73 point season which is a good chance of play offs. Win the next game (which we have a fair chance of) and we're on a 77 point season, which absolutely is play offs.

We've got a mound of injuries and we've not quite clicked. We've still got the January transfer window. We're absolutely contenders. Outside contenders for autos at best absolutely, but we're serious contenders for the play offs.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 10 Nov 2013 23:42

Ian Royal
Maguire
Snowball when I heard the two teams I thought we'd do well to only lose 0-3

:| :| :|

OKay game yday to be fair, Pog was clearly our best player and i'm pleasantly surprised to see almost everybody say the same on this thread. Not seen his yellow card again but IMHO the ref really didn't like him, gave him nothing all game, and booked him for a sedate tackle the moment he had a chance.

McCarthy played well in general but let himself down for the goal. Positioned himself so he was never saving anything that side - could see the goal coming a mile off.

I could see it being given as a foul reasonably regularly because he slid in, although I think he was in control and definitely got the ball. But a yellow card was just plain silly from what I saw (TV because I'm a bellend and forgot the game was 12.15 kick and couldn't make it by the time I realised).

I've not seen any highlights of the yellow card but from where I was at the match it looked a blatant yellow to me. Me and my sister had a good laugh at Pog's protests.
He may well have won the ball cleanly off the bloke who had actually had it, but by that point he'd already clattered through the back of another QPR player who happened to be in his way.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 11 Nov 2013 00:21

Ian Royal
paddy20 Although QPR are decent we should win our games at home if we are serious contenders. Afraid we are two or three players away from that. Cant understand why he persists with Kanu,and we don't have a tough tackler in midfield or a quick central defender

We've still got the January transfer window.

Sorry but couldn`t help laugh at this :D

217 posts