Sheff Weds - Back from the game

291 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Sheff Weds - Back from the game

by sandman » 08 Feb 2014 22:59

Sat right behind it and Pearce was pushed in the back by the attacker that's why he was the wrong side and left chasing back. Should have been a free kick to us.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 09 Feb 2014 00:23

P!ssed Off
Turns8
retro_royal Matt from Wokingham spot on during the post match phone in with Adie.

Not wrong there mate...Adie got abit rattLOLed.... :mrgreen:

Hear it here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01qq63b from 32mins...

Heard this at the time.
Who the oxf*rd are the youth players he's banging on about, "Jamie Butler, Ben Cashley and that Belgian lad Mike Van der Velberg.
That Vanders is on the verge of the Belgian World Cup team." :?

Adie Williams then seems to give Nige credit for the emergence of players like Karacan, Church, Sig, HRK and McCarthy.

Not sure who was thicker tbf.

LOL :lol:

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 09 Feb 2014 00:41

Just seen FLS.
As I thought at the time: Shit defending from Pearce, but Penalty? Never.

Is the Antonio shot what people were on about as McCarthy's 'exceptional' save? It was straight at him, as I said.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Feb 2014 01:34

:lol:
paultheroyal
retro_royal Matt from Wokingham spot on during the post match phone in with Adie.

Hi Matt

:lol:

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 09 Feb 2014 04:13

sandman
RoyalBlue And who was the genius who decided to let Antonio go rather than give him a chance with us?

He was shit as usual, terrible first touch. The only thing I'll give him credit for was keeping the ball in the corner but even then we should have just let him cross because we know he puts most of his crosses behind the goal. Would take any of our current wingers over that useless piece of shit, even the fat Dutchman.

And there is exactly the reason why Antonio was let go. The guy played probably less than 500 minutes for us as a young player and got absolutely slaughtered because he wasn't another Messi or Ronaldo. So he goes on loan to a club who's fans support him (admittedly at a lower level), is given a chance and, que'l surprise, he's actually quite good.

Getting back to the game, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 2 footed tackle on Akpan or the handball by their centre back in their box in the 2nd half

Personally I thought dropping McCleary to right back was the wrong decision as it meant we didn't have much width . Yes there were occasions when he got forward well but there were also many times, especially in the 2nd half when we needed him up the pitch. I'd had left 3 at the back and told Gunter to not go any further than the halfway line with Akpan sitting in just in front. Then, when McCleary ties, bring on Kelly at CB with Gunter going out wide.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 09 Feb 2014 07:53

Not seen fls.

Was it definitely not a pen?

Clear enough that we will appeal?

To be honest its not losing pearce for the next game that im pissed off about, its the three points it cost us yesterday.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 09 Feb 2014 08:22

sandman
RoyalBlue And who was the genius who decided to let Antonio go rather than give him a chance with us?

He was shit as usual, terrible first touch. The only thing I'll give him credit for was keeping the ball in the corner but even then we should have just let him cross because we know he puts most of his crosses behind the goal. Would take any of our current wingers over that useless piece of shit, even the fat Dutchman.

And there is exactly the reason why Antonio was let go. The guy played probably less than 500 minutes for us as a young player and got absolutely slaughtered because he wasn't another Messi or Ronaldo. So he goes on loan to a club who's fans support him (admittedly at a lower level), is given a chance and, que'l surprise, he's actually quite good.

Getting back to the game, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 2 footed tackle on Akpan or the handball by their centre back in their box in the 2nd half

Personally I thought dropping McCleary to right back was the wrong decision as it meant we didn't have much width . Yes there were occasions when he got forward well but there were also many times, especially in the 2nd half when we needed him up the pitch. I'd had left 3 at the back and told Gunter to not go any further than the halfway line with Akpan sitting in just in front. Then, when McCleary ties, bring on Kelly at CB with Gunter going out wide.

He was let go because he wasn't up to the standard of winger we had at the time or the standard we have now.

Who was expecting a Ronaldo or Messi type player? Certainly not me, i just wanted him to him to be able do the basic things a winger should be able to do and he couldn't do them.

His first game for us against Barnsley in the league cup his first touch was poor, he tripped over the ball twice and crossed it into row z more than once. Yesterday, even with regular first team football, you could see he still hasn't shed those flaws in his game. Even the part he did do well, in the corner, resulted in an awful attempt at a cross.
Last edited by sandman on 09 Feb 2014 08:49, edited 1 time in total.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 09 Feb 2014 08:41

Seen the replay. Penalty - maybe. But red card incredibly harsh.

Wantage Royal

by Wantage Royal » 09 Feb 2014 09:31

sandman Sat right behind it and Pearce was pushed in the back by the attacker that's why he was the wrong side and left chasing back. Should have been a free kick to us.

I was sat in the North stand and that's exactly how I saw it too.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 09 Feb 2014 09:39

sandman

Ooh good: I thought I'd dreamt that. It was one of those that was a red card every week in the premiership last year, but didn't even get us a foul. That and the Pearce red card left me thinking this was the worst ref I have ever seen by half time. We were very tired second-half, so perhaps you can forgive the hoofball.

starbug

by starbug » 09 Feb 2014 09:52

Seen the highlights and watched the penalty incident frame by frame, no contact made just cheating dirty tactics like the rest of the team did throughout the game. Goalie wasting time from the first minute and so many players feigning injury anyone would think there was a sniper out there targeting them. Hate to see such a dirty mindset rewarded.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 09 Feb 2014 10:11

Didn't see the incident at the time but having watched it on iplayer, it's a clear penalty and a clear red card. A really stupid thing to do so early in the game, the chances of the forward scoring was no greater than 50/50. As someone said earlier, Pearce was nudged under the ball which should, technically, have been a free kick but Pearce should have been strong and savvy enough to avoid that.

There is nothing harder than chasing a game with 10 men, at 0-0 you have something to defend and can sit back, at 0-1 you have to come out and the opposition are happy to sit back. Anyone judging Adkins on the basis of this game is either irreversably anti Adkins and will grab any stick available to beat him with regardless of its validity, or a complete moron.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 09 Feb 2014 10:16

Have to disagree, genuinely can't see any foul on Afobi on the FLS highlights.

Can see why adkins was incensed and with Gorkss close by can't see A) how it's last man or B) that Afobi ever had the ball under control. It's in Gorkss possession before he's hit the floor.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 09 Feb 2014 10:22

ZacNaloen Have to disagree, genuinely can't see any foul on Afobi on the FLS highlights.

Can see why adkins was incensed and with Gorkss close by can't see A) how it's last man or B) that Afobi ever had the ball under control. It's in Gorkss possession before he's hit the floor.

You might not be able to see it from their camera angle but he definitely pushed Pearce in the small of the back.
Last edited by sandman on 09 Feb 2014 10:24, edited 1 time in total.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 09 Feb 2014 10:23

It was irritating to see Wednesdays cheating tactics win them the game. Maguire should have gone then a few minutes later he sets up the second. Constant fake injuries, again Maguire holding his face hoping for a free kick, when that doesn't happen he decides its his foot - calls on the trainer and hobbles off only to be sprinting around 5 secs later.

As for Pearce, as I've said before I'm amazed he's managed to earn a living as a professional footballer and he only had himself to blame for the red card. We can appeal but it will only be rescinded if the ref made an obvious mistake. That means any contact at all and the pen/red card are warranted. We have to prove there was no contact then it was an obvious error. He'll get a 1 match ban, 3 match bans are for violent conduct.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Feb 2014 10:24

Just seen the penalty on iPlayer, the angle is absolutely terrible so I can't make a judgement. You can't see whether there's contact, Afobe had the ball under control, or how close Gorkss is.

Schards#2 Didn't see the incident at the time but having watched it on iplayer, it's a clear penalty and a clear red card. A really stupid thing to do so early in the game, the chances of the forward scoring was no greater than 50/50.

It's not an obvious goalscoring opportunity if Afobe was unlikely to score*. Unless you think it was serious foul play, then only one of those statements can be true.

*disregarding Afobe's general inability to score when he was with us

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 09 Feb 2014 10:25

sandman
ZacNaloen Have to disagree, genuinely can't see any foul on Afobi on the FLS highlights.

You might not be able to see it from their camera angle but he definitely pushed him in the small of the back.

I was disagreeing with the comment that by watching the highlights it's an obvious red. it's clearly inconclusive.

I sit North West and saw the foul. At the time I couldn't understand the Red and still can't.

actually I need to rephrase that. I saw a tangle. Which always goes the forwards way. I didn't see the push, we all thought he was tripped somehow.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Feb 2014 10:27

PieEater We can appeal but it will only be rescinded if the ref made an obvious mistake. That means any contact at all and the pen/red card are warranted. We have to prove there was no contact then it was an obvious error.

That's not really true. For example, a few years ago John Terry rugby tackled a Man City striker (Benjani? Jo?) on the halfway line and had his red card overturned. A few weeks ago, Danny Rose clearly made contact with Edin Dzeko, but had his red card overturned because he made minimal contact with the ball too.

And of course, there doesn't need to be contact for it to be a foul- for example, if I take evasive action to avoid your violent challenge, you're still off.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 09 Feb 2014 10:36

Those examples are totally irrelevant to the Pearce situation. The striker was past him, in the penalty area and through on goal.

Any contact from Pearce "could" cause the striker to fall in which case it's not an obvious mistake.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 09 Feb 2014 10:39

It was a soft red, but at the time I wasn't surprised to see him go. If nothing else he deserved it for getting done for the third time in quick succession by the same move from a pretty average striker.

291 posts