Welcome back Brian!

1226 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Welcome back Brian

by SCIAG » 09 Dec 2015 13:49

winchester_royal One thing Brian excelled at was getting two strikers to play really well together. Sa and Vydra is a really exciting partnership in waiting, so I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of that.

Roberts and Le Fondre was a really exciting partnership in waiting.

Wouldn't be surprised if McDermott brings Cox back, plays him just off Sa (a la Hunt/Roberts), and makes Vydra a permanent left winger. I don't think it's what he's most likely to do, but I do think there's an in for Cox here.

I also think Liburd might have a real chance.

---------------------------------------------
Addressing the title directly, I'm delighted. I said when we sacked him that he should have the job until he looked like relegating us to League One. He should take much of the blame for our relegation, but given that he got us promoted, I can forgive him that.

My only slight concern is that McDermott's last spell at the club was very bad for young players. We didn't bring anyone through the whole time he was there. By way of contrast, Coppell made Pearce and Karacan first teamers, Rodgers did the same for HRK, Gylfi and Church, Adkins promoted Hector and Obita, and even Clarke got Tshibola in the team. McDermott was good to the players he'd had in the reserves but largely ignored the likes of Obita and D'Ath. Hopefully he is convinced of the quality we've got in this batch of young players.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 09 Dec 2015 13:52

genome Spotted getting off the train

Lol

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 09 Dec 2015 13:54

Brian's recent scouting sabbatical might work in our favour too in terms of some new faces in January.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 09 Dec 2015 14:40

Oilroyal
Can everyone stop quoting Dave. Who gives a flying what he says, doses or doesn't think.

I have a strong suspicion that Dave and the Twitter handle 'Huang Kad' are in fact one and the same person / animal / bellend.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 09 Dec 2015 14:41

Mr Optimist Brian's recent scouting sabbatical might work in our favour too in terms of some new faces in January.

If he can get Arsenal to sign them and then push them straight out to us on loan that'll key the finances happy too.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 09 Dec 2015 14:49

Good thing about the appointment, even if people don't believe he is the right choice, everyone will get behind him as hes one of us. Really want to see an exciting number two: Murty,Kitson or Bryn etc :D

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Dec 2015 15:03

SCIAG My only slight concern is that McDermott's last spell at the club was very bad for young players. We didn't bring anyone through the whole time he was there. By way of contrast, Coppell made Pearce and Karacan first teamers, Rodgers did the same for HRK, Gylfi and Church, Adkins promoted Hector and Obita, and even Clarke got Tshibola in the team. McDermott was good to the players he'd had in the reserves but largely ignored the likes of Obita and D'Ath. Hopefully he is convinced of the quality we've got in this batch of young players.

Are you sure? Coppell may have given Pearce and Karacan their first team debut but they only really becamse regular starters after he left and it was McDermott who brought the best out of Gylfi and Church. Robson Kanu only made 4 starts in 2009-10 so I can't see how Rodgers can claim any credit for them either.

Not suggesting McDermott is a genius but but it would seem that apart from Pearce, Karacan, Gylfi, Church and HRK becoming first team regulars, McDermott was bad for the youngsters.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 09 Dec 2015 15:04

Genuine, but qualified, happiness with Brian coming back. A lot of us at the time that he would have been successful (kept us up) with proper backing from the board. That should be a given judging by how they backed Clarke in that regard.

This might be the most talented Reading team he has led, including the team he had for the one season in the PL. Hopefully he can recapture/recreate the on-field magic from his last time with us.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Dec 2015 15:05

Thou Voice Woow!

Now we must listen to endlessss comments of "we move on"...

...I am delighted for those of yous that have zerrroooo future vision and welcome some backwards steps.

He failed oncce already in the eyes of our glorious leaders and they wanted to bring back some more of these winnnning ways ?

Tiger sweat I say...

Do you see ? :shock:

yay!
welcome back to you too!!!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Dec 2015 15:07

windermere_royal Please excuse me for not doing cartwheels of excitement, he needs to convince me he as developed a plan B, in the 3 years since he left.
rather than blasted to ball at chest and head high to the big striker.
Job number one, go to Palace and get McCarthy back on the books

WNG is a plan A to die for though, so its fine

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 09 Dec 2015 15:13

melonhead
Winston Smith You would have to have a seriously dark heart to not be over the moon about this appointment.

beautifully put

pure poetry

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 09 Dec 2015 15:15

Is this confrimed yet?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Dec 2015 15:16

ive not seen official confrimation as yet

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Dec 2015 15:17

We'd all look pretty stupid if it didn't happen now...

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 09 Dec 2015 15:19

The beauty of this board is the vast array of opinions in the main by loyal Reading FC supporters , the occasional bell ends and knobs will always be there and it would be boring if we were all the same ( though there is one particular bell end on here a lot at the mo)

I was a bit unsure of BM's impending appoitment earlier in the day but having read the many lifting posts and the sense many true fans have expressed , I'm happy and humble to say I think I was wrong. In reality I'm not sure who I want to manage my beloved football club maybe always hoping for that messiah like Stevie Coppell was but it's right as said many times at least we now will have a manager who cares about our football club and will do his very best for the fans and all concerned rather than some mercenary passing through and using our club as a glorified stepping stone . There is also no doubt he was as we all were shafted and robbed by that Russian piece of scum.

Welcome back McDonut let's all get behind him and get back to happy days !

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Dec 2015 15:19

genome We'd all look pretty stupid if it didn't happen now...

hence my tactic of looking stupid all of the time, so when it happens for real, no one bats an eyelid

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Dec 2015 15:20

melonhead

hence my tactic of looking stupid all of the time, so when it happens for real, no one bats an eyelid

Dave-Royal has that absolutely perfected

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 09 Dec 2015 15:23

Extremely :| about brian coming back. On one hand he brought us to the premier league for a season and he is truly one of us.

But on the other hand he played extremely boring hoof ball that only worked in the championship but in the premier League we were demolished. He was dreadful in the transfer window. His tactics were abysmal and he didnt get any better at Leeds. I can say confidently if brian was still manager our side wouldn't be anywhere near as talented as it is today. He is a decent man manager but lest us forget how little he could handle guthrie, let alone our bigger name playera now! He made people want to work for him but he played favorites and was to loyal to players for his own good. Never come back also comes to mind. Not to mention the endless soundbites of we move on that pissed everyone off so much. It's pretty funny how short everyone's memory is.

Brian gave us a lot of great memories, as well as a lot of shit ones pretty much immediately after getting promoted.

I'm really not looking forward to endless hoof ball again, not with the talent we FINALLY have at out disposal.
Last edited by USA_Loyal_Royal on 09 Dec 2015 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 Dec 2015 15:25

No, I'll just delete the thread and pretend it never happened 8)

On the otherhand, Brian might be unsure about a return and claim to have been won over by what the fans were saying online and the poll that has him in second place behind Nigel Pearson for the job :roll:

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 09 Dec 2015 15:25

Oversaw training this morning. Expect it to be announced very shortly

1226 posts