Who realistically replaces Paunovic…?

328 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Who realistically replaces Paunovic…?

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jan 2022 12:34

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal It's nice to have another in our small band who think this way, but you'll not find the Team board receptive.

But yet I've also stated this and you think myself and yourself have completely different views on what we should be looking for? Unless you were speaking specifically about a replacement manager?

Replacement

I don't think we should have appointed him in the first place, or that his prior experience was what we should have been looking for.

I don't see a change now being positive. I think the club needs a clean break, with a carefully made decision with careful planning on a replacement, not a rushed decision under time pressure mid-season without knowing where we'll be next season to compete in a relegation battle from the off.

I certainly think he needs to do something spectacular to have his contract extended.

For the record, I don't think that we shouldn't go for a more experienced Championship manager and I don't think we should go for another unknown quantity off our shores either, but I just don't think he should be replaced at this time.

As said, any incoming manager will have to deal with factors that Pauno has had to deal with as well as and I don't think we'd be much better off.

Providing we survive, I think he's in with a shout of staying on for another season or two I'd say, I think continuity is important personally. I can understand why people wouldn't want him to stay on though similarly.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2022 12:36

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
But yet I've also stated this and you think myself and yourself have completely different views on what we should be looking for? Unless you were speaking specifically about a replacement manager?

Replacement

I don't think we should have appointed him in the first place, or that his prior experience was what we should have been looking for.

I don't see a change now being positive. I think the club needs a clean break, with a carefully made decision with careful planning on a replacement, not a rushed decision under time pressure mid-season without knowing where we'll be next season to compete in a relegation battle from the off.

I certainly think he needs to do something spectacular to have his contract extended.

For the record, I don't think that we shouldn't go for a more experienced Championship manager and I don't think we should go for another unknown quantity off our shores either, but I just don't think he should be replaced at this time.

As said, any incoming manager will have to deal with factors that Pauno has had to deal with as well as and I don't think we'd be much better off.

Providing we survive, I think he's in with a shout of staying on for another season or two I'd say, I think continuity is important personally. I can understand why people wouldn't want him to stay on though similarly.

I love continuity. And if he turns it around fair enough.

But I think his bridge is long burnt and regardless of what we would prefer his remaining time with us is measured in days, maybe weeks

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jan 2022 12:45

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal Badly apparently.

YR and I have very different views on what we should be looking for.

Has he gone yet btw?

Who actually sacks him and appoints someone else out of interest? Any ideas?

Would assume Dai or his sock puppet CEO.

And being as they both have zero background or knowledge of football…

Doesn’t seem a great set up to make a good choice on new manager

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jan 2022 12:49

Chairman Mao id take any one who threw playing out from the back & zonal marking in the bin though.
Ainsworth?

What does that mean and replace with what exactly? Just hoof it forward?

Nearly every team ‘plays out from the back’ to some extent. Even Colin was this year.

And we’ve been through zonal marking so many times. We don’t even do it for a lot of our set pieces, which we’ve actually not defended too badly from recently (can mark however you want that ridiculous Kiddy second goes in if that’s allowed by the ref)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Jan 2022 12:55

Snowflake Royal
Dai Brainbocs How does modest success at Chicago Fire and Serbia U20s qualify anyone for the Championship?

Badly apparently.

Has he gone yet btw?

Think there’s a little too much emphasis on prior experience. Hughton, Warnock, McCarthy and Jokanovic were all sacked by the end of November. Not so much Jokanovic, but there’s years of experience managing in the Championship there

And whether we like it or not, Stam, by a fair distance, has had the most successful season since our relegation, by a considerable distance too, also presiding over our most successful transfer window since the relegation with a limited budget with some very astute signings. Of course we’re all aware how it ended up but it doesn’t divert away from the initial success. He had no playing experience in the Championship and his only coaching experience was in the Netherlands

Each to their own, but personally feel there are more important attributes than experience

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2022 12:56

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Hound
Who actually sacks him and appoints someone else out of interest? Any ideas?

Would assume Dai or his sock puppet CEO.

And being as they both have zero background or knowledge of football…

Doesn’t seem a great set up to make a good choice on new manager

Might explain a few things.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Jan 2022 12:57

Snowflake Royal
Chairman Mao but id keep pauno till end of season, at least
highly doubt many managers could do better with 1/2 the squad injured all the time
(though why that is, is another matter)
and with our financial constraints, squad/contract issues, and threat of relegation etc, who the oxf*rd would want to come in and take over now?

It's nice to have another in our small band who think this way, but you'll not find the Team board receptive.

You're just trying to be controversial, admit it. :P :wink: (friendly joke)

Nah, I'm Pauno IN, but can see myself flipping back and if I do it'll be a case of "get rid now" for sure.

Either he's a liability who is slipping us towards a relegation we mustn't risk. Or he's actually doing a good enough job in tough circumstances. If it's the former he goes NOW, don't dick around. If the latter he deserves to stay and grow and does the job I think/hope he can do for us with better circumstances around him. No middle ground for me.
Last edited by Millsy on 10 Jan 2022 12:58, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2022 12:57

Hound
Chairman Mao id take any one who threw playing out from the back & zonal marking in the bin though.
Ainsworth?

Nearly every team ‘plays out from the back’ to some extent. Even Colin was this year.

And we’ve been through zonal marking so many times. We don’t even do it for a lot of our set pieces, which we’ve actually not defended too badly from recently (can mark however you want that ridiculous Kiddy second goes in if that’s allowed by the ref)

Should be cut out quite easily by someone taking the near post block shouldn’t it?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jan 2022 13:29

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Ainsworth?

Should be cut out quite easily by someone taking the near post block shouldn’t it?

Puscas was at the near post and got shoved out the way whilst jumping

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jan 2022 13:33

URZZZZ And whether we like it or not, Stam, by a fair distance, has had the most successful season since our relegation, by a considerable distance too, also presiding over our most successful transfer window since the relegation with a limited budget with some very astute signings. Of course we’re all aware how it ended up but it doesn’t divert away from the initial success.

There's something in that. Remember before the season a lot of us thought we were nailed on for relegation, and the Stam appointment was seen as something of a joke

The Thai's gave him f all budget, and through just a clear mentality and plan of action we got some good success. Seemed to be some clear thinking then that we haven't really had since we bloated the squad up

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 10 Jan 2022 14:02

Ian and URRZZZ both say that continuity is a good thing but is it?

I don't know the exact figures but The Championship has a crazy short term record for manager changes over the years so continuity rarely happens although most of us fans tend to feel that is what should happen at a football club.

Looking at our division now, 4 of the top 6 clubs in Fulham , Bournemouth, WBA and Huddersfield have managers who have been there for much less than a year ( and for much less a time than Pauno) and clubs that look as though they might challenge for those top 6 places in Middlesboro, Forest and Sheffield United have all changed managers since the season started with resultant improvement (as yet with no new signings apart from Forest's astute purchase of Steve Cook from Bournemouth)..

Different circumstances of course at all clubs but Pauno is perhaps a bit fortunate to still be in a job and the owners presumably have taken great account of the injuries and lack of capacity for signings as redeeming features.
Performances on the pitch cannot have influenced them too much as we have not been a great watch this season, culminating in Saturday's fiasco at Kidderminster.

So, continuity?
I'm not sure.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2022 14:35

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Hound

Puscas was at the near post and got shoved out the way whilst jumping

Same old Puscas.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jan 2022 16:05

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
Dai Brainbocs How does modest success at Chicago Fire and Serbia U20s qualify anyone for the Championship?

Badly apparently.

Has he gone yet btw?

Think there’s a little too much emphasis on prior experience. Hughton, Warnock, McCarthy and Jokanovic were all sacked by the end of November. Not so much Jokanovic, but there’s years of experience managing in the Championship there

And whether we like it or not, Stam, by a fair distance, has had the most successful season since our relegation, by a considerable distance too, also presiding over our most successful transfer window since the relegation with a limited budget with some very astute signings. Of course we’re all aware how it ended up but it doesn’t divert away from the initial success. He had no playing experience in the Championship and his only coaching experience was in the Netherlands

Each to their own, but personally feel there are more important attributes than experience

Yeah that was the point I was referring to really, not that having Championship experience can be considered a bad thing, but the names you have mentioned have all done pretty underwhelming jobs in recent times, Hughton was poor in his last 6 months at Brighton and subsequently Forest, Warnock was during the end of his time at Cardiff and Boro he wasn't great but did ok, McCarthy had a good early spell with Cardiff but poor since and Jokanovic was poor at Sheff United. That's not to disregard them and say they wouldn't work as I believe they would under the right circumstances (just look at Moyes and West Ham after he was wrote off) but the men that we should be looking for should be Chris Wilder or Steve Cooper who have had success more recently with Sheff United and Swansea (yes I know Sheff United were woeful but their problems went deeper than Wilder's ability).

And obviously Stam, Farke, Wagner etc have all been successful Championship managers in the main (barring Stam's 2nd season) with little/no experience at Championship level. Farke would be a decent shout as a Pauno replacement if we could get someone of that calibre in for reasons explained above, experienced and done well in recent times, not relying on what they did well years ago like your McCarthy's, Jokanovic's etc.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 10 Jan 2022 19:17

YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Badly apparently.

Has he gone yet btw?

Yeah that was the point I was referring to really, not that having Championship experience can be considered a bad thing, but the names you have mentioned have all done pretty underwhelming jobs in recent times, Hughton was poor in his last 6 months at Brighton and subsequently Forest, Warnock was during the end of his time at Cardiff and Boro he wasn't great but did ok, McCarthy had a good early spell with Cardiff but poor since and Jokanovic was poor at Sheff United. That's not to disregard them and say they wouldn't work as I believe they would under the right circumstances (just look at Moyes and West Ham after he was wrote off) but the men that we should be looking for should be Chris Wilder or Steve Cooper who have had success more recently with Sheff United and Swansea (yes I know Sheff United were woeful but their problems went deeper than Wilder's ability).

And obviously Stam, Farke, Wagner etc have all been successful Championship managers in the main (barring Stam's 2nd season) with little/no experience at Championship level. Farke would be a decent shout as a Pauno replacement if we could get someone of that calibre in for reasons explained above, experienced and done well in recent times, not relying on what they did well years ago like your McCarthy's, Jokanovic's etc.

The obvious replacement for me is Ainsworth, but Wycombe are still involved in battle. He is going nowhere. Unless WWFC don't get promoted and we can last with a caretaker til the end of the season. Rotherham bought Colin in to save them...and did. Not gonna happen though.
Farke is the one I like, I think he has the attributes we need, but can we afford him. Maybe with Swift off possibly.
But history tells us it will be another one we have never heard of, or an untried newbie. Depressing really.

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 10 Jan 2022 19:55

Ascotexgunner
The obvious replacement for me is Ainsworth, but Wycombe are still involved in battle. He is going nowhere. Unless WWFC don't get promoted and we can last with a caretaker til the end of the season. Rotherham bought Colin in to save them...and did. Not gonna happen though.
Farke is the one I like, I think he has the attributes we need, but can we afford him. Maybe with Swift off possibly.
But history tells us it will be another one we have never heard of, or an untried newbie. Depressing really.

I live near Wycombe and go occasionally to watch them (my son is in their academy) - I think Ainsworth's success comes from the stability and good governance at the wider club - living within their means and mainly relying on experienced frees (cf Obita and G Mac) plus hungry players from the lower leagues. I'd love to see GA at RFC but just don't think we would appeal to him, sadly.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jan 2022 20:04

I certainly think we would appeal to Ainsworth, even if we were relegated (providing they don't get promoted). It would be the next step up in his career as a manager, I'm just not completely convinced if he would be the correct fit for us. Aspects of him I would take, but as mentioned, he has achieved success within his means at the club he is at and there would be a lot more luxury at ourselves than what he does at Wycombe.

The other end of the scale is, given all the unrest at the club this weekend, going and appointing Ainsworth is a move that I think both the board and the fans would agree and get behind which would be a step forward in repairing the chaos at the moment.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jan 2022 20:45

Reckon Ainsworth could be persuaded. Logical step up for him

Wycombe a good club. Heard good things about their ‘academy’ and general set up. Everyone pulling in the same direction

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 Jan 2022 20:56

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Replacement

Pauno has no ability to work with the players at his disposal. Anybody can be a manager with a chequebook. The players have lost confidence with his methods and style. That's very apparent.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Jan 2022 21:01

Snowflake Royal
highly doubt many managers could do better with 1/2 the squad injured all the time
and with our financial constraints, squad/contract issues, and threat of relegation etc, who the oxf*rd would want to come in and take over now?

It's nice to have another in our small band who think this way, but you'll not find the Team board receptive.

So we lose our next six games and are deep in relegation trouble you seriously stick with him until the end of the season?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2022 21:19

Zip
Snowflake Royal

So we lose our next six games and are deep in relegation trouble you seriously stick with him until the end of the season?

Lose 6 in a row? Probably not at that point. Position would be utterly untenable and the fan unrest would be too high. Don't think that'll happen though.

Would probably only appoint a caretaker til the summer though.

328 posts