How bad would relegation be?

193 posts

How bad would relegation actually be (1-10)?

10 (RFC Ceases to exists)
11%
19%
19%
18%
7%
12%
2%
5%
1%
1(Fun season that actually makes the club stronger)
7%

Total votes: 85
Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

Re: How bad would relegation be?

by Elm Park Kid » 10 Feb 2022 12:04

Who Moved The Goalposts?
Hound all our debts are to the owner

True. I've been wracking my brain to think of a valid reason why the owners would have a reason for running the club into the ground and out of existence. Build a nice country hotel on Bearwood? Convert all the land in and around the stadium into a state-of-the-art shopping mall (this is their forte, after all)? Everything is a possibility I suppose but the numbers don't add up, unless the Dais can somehow write off all their losses against one of their better performing businesses and start any new project afresh.

Even making huge allowances for their lack of team-owning acumen (including dodgy advisors and super-agents), I just can't see why they've let it get this bad.

If that was your aim they would have just bought the club and immediately announced that matches were going to be relocating somewhere else? There have been a lot of scummy owners who have been pretty open that they only bought their club to exploit it. Why would you lose hundreds of millions just to provide a bit of an excuse for turning the stadium into a property opportunity?

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 02 Mar 2022 13:11

Currently staying up in Chesterfield for a couple of weeks due to work commitments. I have been to a couple of their games and I went last night against Notts County. It was a terrific game and the quality was high.

Chesterfield have a defender called Jamie Grimes and he is very good at that level. I have to say that the crowd was just under 8,000 and the Chesterfield fans put us to shame with the amount of noise/atmosphere they created. Even at 1-0 down they didn’t stop singing. It’s the best game I’ve seen in ages and it reminded me that football can be really good whatever league we’re in. I’ll be travelling back down on Saturday for the Millwall game.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 04 Mar 2022 10:21

Life would go on but would be a disaster for the club

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Mar 2022 10:48

blythspartan Currently staying up in Chesterfield for a couple of weeks due to work commitments. I have been to a couple of their games and I went last night against Notts County. It was a terrific game and the quality was high.

Chesterfield have a defender called Jamie Grimes and he is very good at that level. I have to say that the crowd was just under 8,000 and the Chesterfield fans put us to shame with the amount of noise/atmosphere they created. Even at 1-0 down they didn’t stop singing. It’s the best game I’ve seen in ages and it reminded me that football can be really good whatever league we’re in. I’ll be travelling back down on Saturday for the Millwall game.

tbf neither of those teams are regular national league sides. Thats a new stadium and it must be a travesty for both sets of fans that they are playing at that level, especially County. Pretty embarrassing all round.

Local derby as well, so not surprised the atmosphere was good. But yes you can definitely get good games and a great experience at that level. Not sure 6-7k knocking about the SCL against Shrewsbury would ever create a good atmosphere mind you

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Mar 2022 19:20

New owner who knows a bit about the game would be nice

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 12 Mar 2022 22:37

Royal_jimmy New owner who knows a bit about the game would be nice

True and players who care, put up a fight, a manager who knows how to manage and fewer injuries too would be nice

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Mar 2022 00:10

Essentially, we've been run into the ground to the point we can no longer compete with the vast majority of teams at this level.

A string of mostly awful managers, a total lack of any financial acumen and a transfer policy that amounts to signing whatever recognisable name happens to be available, no matter how suitable or on the wane they are, has oxf*rd us completely.

We've got no financial head room, and oxf*rd all players for next season.

We deserve to go down.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Mar 2022 00:18

The side Bullivant and Burns had finish bottom did so on 42 points. Just 2 and 5 points behind 17/18 and 18/19 who survived in 20th.

With 10 games left, we're on 29. Currently we're on to finish on 39.

Except of course, the majority of our points came in one 6 game purple patch. At this rate, it's hard to see us making 35.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Mar 2022 01:14

Snowflake Royal The side Bullivant and Burns had finish bottom did so on 42 points. Just 2 and 5 points behind 17/18 and 18/19 who survived in 20th.

With 10 games left, we're on 29. Currently we're on to finish on 39.

Except of course, the majority of our points came in one 6 game purple patch. At this rate, it's hard to see us making 35.

This is the worst team I’ve seen since that team and that team didn’t have half the talent but this team has.

Absolute lazy twats.

elrey

by elrey » 13 Mar 2022 05:31

Snowflake Royal Essentially, we've been run into the ground to the point we can no longer compete with the vast majority of teams at this level.

A string of mostly awful managers, a total lack of any financial acumen and a transfer policy that amounts to signing whatever recognisable name happens to be available, no matter how suitable or on the wane they are, has oxf*rd us completely.

We deserve to go down.

As far as I can see, we got sold to a Russian who used the club to launder money. He didn't care how much he spent because it wasn't his main goal in life. Then he sold up once he'd laundered his money, and we've been in a mess ever since. Can't really blame those who came after, as they've been cleaning up after a dooshbag Russian.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 13 Mar 2022 07:23

Jackson Corner Just think for a minute. All our players on big wages go. Lots of staff who have worked years for the club would be made redundant. Gates down to 8 k. Losing to Forest Green on a freezing Tuesday night. Papa Johns Auto Windscreen thing. Maidenhead knocking us out in the cup first round. Ladies team scraped to save money. The Eamon Dolan stand empty. Relegation to league 2. The club wound up ground sold off and land used for a permanent home for the travelling community.

Netflix Documentary……

‘The End of the Royals’………

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 13 Mar 2022 07:42

elrey
Snowflake Royal Essentially, we've been run into the ground to the point we can no longer compete with the vast majority of teams at this level.

We deserve to go down.

As far as I can see, we got sold to a Russian who used the club to launder money. He didn't care how much he spent because it wasn't his main goal in life. Then he sold up once he'd laundered his money, and we've been in a mess ever since. Can't really blame those who came after, as they've been cleaning up after a dooshbag Russian.

So Dai Yongee is complete innocent in all of this then? Naive thinking at its best

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 13 Mar 2022 08:59

This is the worst Reading Team I’ve ever seen and is honestly my lowest point of supporting the club I love.

I was at Oakwell yesterday with my mate and watching Barnsley just showed me all the qualities we’ve been missing. Togetherness, controlled aggression, an actual game plan and good technically. Not sure what the locals made of me especially when I couldn’t hide my delight when Fulham equalised.

We need a massive turnaround in form and all 3 sides below us have an identity and anyone of them could bounce back next season if they go down. Derby have conceded half the goals we have FFS. Whatever happens we look oxf*rd doomed as a club.

Unless the owners oxf*rd off or put people around them who understand football in this country I believe we’re oxf*rd. It all needs to be knocked down and built back up again. For now players like Brandon Barker is the way to go. Good honest pro’s who’ll run through brick walls for this club. We then just need a manager to mould them into a TEAM and give them an identity.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Mar 2022 09:24

elrey

We deserve to go down.

Well, the Thai who wanted to buy us wasn't allowed so he got his mates to do it for him. He's involved in corruption charges. They started to put the financials right but were mostly after land to develop. Then they sold to a Chinese billionaire who has ripped up all their financial work and accidentally stumbled into making two good decisions in almost 6 years, the rest have been atrocious. And if you think Zingarevich was laundering money, you can bet at least the current clown is doing it too with his buddy super agents washingvtheir dodgy player assets through us constantly.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 13 Mar 2022 09:59

Snowflake Royal
elrey

We deserve to go down.

Well, the Thai who wanted to buy us wasn't allowed so he got his mates to do it for him. He's involved in corruption charges. They started to put the financials right but were mostly after land to develop. Then they sold to a Chinese billionaire who has ripped up all their financial work and accidentally stumbled into making two good decisions in almost 6 years, the rest have been atrocious. And if you think Zingarevich was laundering money, you can bet at least the current clown is doing it too with his buddy super agents washingvtheir dodgy player assets through us constantly.

If Zingarevich was still in charge would we be in the same boat as Chelsea? At least the London club stand a chance of survival with media pressure etc. which would not be coming our way and no one, except us, would care if we went to the wall. So, cheer up, things could be worse than they are now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Mar 2022 10:11

The Royal Forester
Snowflake Royal
elrey

If Zingarevich was still in charge would we be in the same boat as Chelsea? At least the London club stand a chance of survival with media pressure etc. which would not be coming our way and no one, except us, would care if we went to the wall. So, cheer up, things could be worse than they are now.

If his Dad was still backing him, probably.

Although we wouldn't have needed to worry because we'd have folded in the intervening years if he'd stayed. Which on balance, might have been a touch more fun.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Mar 2022 11:50

On reflection, think the Championship should just relegate all four of us and promote four replacements.

Or relegate an extra PL team and finally get their way lowering the numbers.

elrey

by elrey » 13 Mar 2022 11:55

Notts Royal
So Dai Yongee is complete innocent in all of this then? Naive thinking at its best

Life is never so easy. I live in China, I know what Chinese bosses are like. I've spoken about it before on here.

However the question here is, who would have had Reading doing better? Maybe someone would. He choices for managers has been weird at best. He fires the current manager who was doing well, 37% win ratio. Pauno had 35%, though I'd say he got unlucky, especially this season, would Bowen have done better? Maybe, probably not, we'll never know. Ince was a weird, weird appointment. Maybe he'll only get one win ever at Reading.

But Madejski was someone who cared about the club, he sold to someone who didn't care about the club who sold to people who didn't care about the club who sold to someone who doesn't care about the club. Welcome to modern football. You get lucky or not. Look at Chelsea, Abramovich was the best thing to happen to them and now he's screwed them. Any Chinese or Russian owner is now going to look very fragile. But Reading is a club with not much going for it other than having a sizable support for a Championship team at best.

The Russian was the worst thing that's happened to the club since [insert whenever you think it was worse, before Madejski probably]. Whatever bad things Dai might have, have been made worse by the problems of overpaid players which long contracts.

elrey

by elrey » 13 Mar 2022 12:00

Snowflake Royal Well, the Thai who wanted to buy us wasn't allowed so he got his mates to do it for him. He's involved in corruption charges. They started to put the financials right but were mostly after land to develop. Then they sold to a Chinese billionaire who has ripped up all their financial work and accidentally stumbled into making two good decisions in almost 6 years, the rest have been atrocious. And if you think Zingarevich was laundering money, you can bet at least the current clown is doing it too with his buddy super agents washingvtheir dodgy player assets through us constantly.

Maybe. It's hard to know about the Chinese guy. Chinese people have a different mentality to Russians and Europeans. He owned a football club in China. Ironically he bought Xi'an's team just before I moved to Xi'an. I might have gone to watch as the stadium was 10 minutes from where I lived on my way to work. He moved it to Guizhou, then to Beijing with the club being dissolved last year, maybe because they couldn't use the Renhe name. So it could have been a business decision. So maybe Dai only cares about the status. The Chinese rich (read middle class up) love to buy their status symbols to show how much better they are than everyone else. BMW drivers and up are more likely to think they own the roads etc etc.

It's difficult to say it's money laundering, China is very, VERY strict about moving money abroad (I wanted to move my money back to the UK at one point and had to get a Chinese person to do it as I couldn't do it in a short period of time at all).

elrey

by elrey » 13 Mar 2022 12:01

The Royal Forester

I think if he were "still in charge" we'd be bankrupted already. So he'd not be in charge, technically.

193 posts