Feyenoord friendly?

185 posts
Hup Holland Hup

by Hup Holland Hup » 01 Aug 2006 12:17

feyenoordfan
Hup Holland Hup [/quote

Are you sure he didn't say sad

Why is it that I'm not surprised that somebody with a name like yours makes such a reply :?:

Apologies but the whole of Holland doesn't beat the the drum of either Feyenoord or Ajax...although in truth, it probably does. I support Fortuna and have done for a very long time. I'm tired of walking through the streets of Sittard and seeing future generations decked out in the red and white of either teams mentioned above. I'm tired of my Rotterdam schoonouders buying my children Feyenoord underwear but most of all I fear that Fortuna will not exist in the very near future. All this talk of creating just the one Limburg team by merging Fortuna, MVV, VVV and Roda fills me with dread.

I guess most older Reading fans can associate with the above (maybe with the exception of the underwear).

Hup Holland Hup

by Hup Holland Hup » 01 Aug 2006 12:43

feyenoordfan
SWLR My son is part of a party of SWL sea scouts currently at the Dutch national seascout camp, Nawaka, near Arnhem (6,000 of them; a dibbing and a dobbing). Given the wacky :roll: comments of the Dutch fans on here can I expect him to come back traumatised, or more likely bored?

I think your son will be ok, although the weather is not as good as last week anymore.

ps: I'm a bit sad that you think only the Dutch fans make wacky comments!! :cry:

I don't think he means that at all. I think the point he's trying to make is that most, if not all, Dutch people are boring bastards. What he hasn't taken into account or maybe has choosen to ignore, is the fact that writing in a second language isn't as straightforward as some would think. In real terms the English language is more progressive then the Dutch, for example gek = mad, crazy, insane, bonkers (my personel favourite), barking and wacky to name but a few. Wacky isn't hip and its use further enhances the stero-typical Foreigner image.

I'm sure his son will have had a wonderful time, cynicism comes much later in life.

feyenoordfan

by feyenoordfan » 01 Aug 2006 21:09

Hup Holland Hup
feyenoordfan
Hup Holland Hup [/quote

Why is it that I'm not surprised that somebody with a name like yours makes such a reply :?:

Apologies but the whole of Holland doesn't beat the the drum of either Feyenoord or Ajax...although in truth, it probably does. I support Fortuna and have done for a very long time. I'm tired of walking through the streets of Sittard and seeing future generations decked out in the red and white of either teams mentioned above. I'm tired of my Rotterdam schoonouders buying my children Feyenoord underwear but most of all I fear that Fortuna will not exist in the very near future. All this talk of creating just the one Limburg team by merging Fortuna, MVV, VVV and Roda fills me with dread.

I guess most older Reading fans can associate with the above (maybe with the exception of the underwear).

Nice story, but what does it has to do with my remark about a friend of mine saying that Feyenoordfans are really mad after the goal against ajax??
You start with being "funny" and ask if he didn't say "sad"

You just sounds like you can't live with the fact that your team isn't performing well lately, which is a shame when you look at which players started their career with Fortuna Sittard.

For myself, I follow the saying "Follow your local team" but that doesn't mean that anybody living in another part of the country isn't allowed to be a supporter of the team of his or her choise!!

The story about the merging of all teams from Limburg into 1 is something I can understand!! Hopefully it doesn't get that far!

Anyway, the last time I checked, this was a forum of Reading supporters and I just started posting here to get in touch with a few Reading fans to drink a beer, change a scarf, and talk about football on August 12th, but now this topic starts to look like a discussion between Dutch people.....

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 01 Aug 2006 21:13

feyenoordfan Anyway, the last time I checked, this was a forum of Reading supporters and I just started posting here to get in touch with a few Reading fans to drink a beer, change a scarf, and talk about football on August 12th, but now this topic starts to look like a discussion between Dutch people.....

Well, not that I want to make you feel unwelcome (because I'm not bothered that you're posting here), if you feel that this is going off-topic, there is always the General Football/Sport forums, where it would most certainly be on-topic. As HHH says, many Readings fans can relate to his worries about the merging of local teams.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 02 Aug 2006 10:45

feyenoordfan Anyway, the last time I checked, this was a forum of Reading supporters and I just started posting here to get in touch with a few Reading fans to drink a beer, change a scarf, and talk about football on August 12th, but now this topic starts to look like a discussion between Dutch people.....

Don't stop on our account, this seems an interesting conversation.

feyenoordfan

by feyenoordfan » 02 Aug 2006 11:48

SpaceCruiser

Don't stop on our account, this seems an interesting conversation.

Interesting conversation or not, I still rather drink a beer (or 2...) on August 12th...

FIIIR

by FIIIR » 02 Aug 2006 13:26

feyenoordfan
Interesting conversation or not, I still rather drink a beer (or 2...) on August 12th...

exactly.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Aug 2006 13:30

Hup Holland Hup I'm tired of walking through the streets of Sittard and seeing future generations decked out in the red and white of either teams mentioned above.

I guess most older Reading fans can associate with the above

Absolutely. Reading finally has a top flight team after 135 years yet you still see the shirts of Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc. on the streets of the town. Lazy c*nters.

Hup Holland Hup

by Hup Holland Hup » 02 Aug 2006 16:02

feyenoordfan
Hup Holland Hup
feyenoordfan
Hup Holland Hup [/quote

Nice story, but what does it has to do with my remark about a friend of mine saying that Feyenoordfans are really mad after the goal against ajax??
You start with being "funny" and ask if he didn't say "sad"

You just sounds like you can't live with the fact that your team isn't performing well lately, which is a shame when you look at which players started their career with Fortuna Sittard.

For myself, I follow the saying "Follow your local team" but that doesn't mean that anybody living in another part of the country isn't allowed to be a supporter of the team of his or her choise!!

The story about the merging of all teams from Limburg into 1 is something I can understand!! Hopefully it doesn't get that far!

Anyway, the last time I checked, this was a forum of Reading supporters and I just started posting here to get in touch with a few Reading fans to drink a beer, change a scarf, and talk about football on August 12th, but now this topic starts to look like a discussion between Dutch people.....

The sad comment was supposed to be humerous and yes, I have no intention of giving up my day job.

With regards to supporting your local team. I'm not suggesting for one moment that this should be enforced but I am a little surprised that people spend a fortune on a shirt and the likes only to watch "their" team on the TV. I don't think I ever chose to support Fortuna or indeed Reading, it just happened.

More then aware that this is a forum for RFC and also aware that this may have strayed off topic. However, having been a supporter of Reading for about 20 years, I would be more then willing to buy you a drink next time you venture down to Limburg. Don't think I'll bother with the scarf swopping though, if that's OK...... :lol:

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 02 Aug 2006 23:53

floyd__streete
Hup Holland Hup I'm tired of walking through the streets of Sittard and seeing future generations decked out in the red and white of either teams mentioned above.

Absolutely. Reading finally has a top flight team after 135 years yet you still see the shirts of Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc. on the streets of the town. Lazy c*nters.

they are the scum of the earth

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 03 Aug 2006 00:28

Hup Holland Hup With regards to supporting your local team. I'm not suggesting for one moment that this should be enforced but I am a little surprised that people spend a fortune on a shirt and the likes only to watch "their" team on the TV. I don't think I ever chose to support Fortuna or indeed Reading, it just happened.

I gave up trying to win that argument a long time ago. For some bizarre reason, the most popularly-supported club in my year at school (in Bracknell) was Spurs.* A couple of them would also come along to Elm Park from time to time, and at least one I think would now support us against Spurs or Fulham.+ But some of them just wouldn't budge. They would come to the games, pay £5 (ah, those were the days!) and then moan all the way home about why should they bother. So, instead, they would support a team that they could only watch on telly because they could only afford to go to, at best, two games a season. Fcuking gonks, I tell thee!

*I find this deeply offensive - at least you can understand glory-hunting kniggits, but it's not like Spurs have even won anything in my lifetime (well, alright, but you know what I mean!...)

+ His 2nd team, although he says it's no fun now they're not in the bottom league!
Last edited by rabidbee on 03 Aug 2006 18:12, edited 1 time in total.

wehateoxford

by wehateoxford » 03 Aug 2006 15:22

a lot of people in and around Tadley support Spurs as well, truth be told i almost did until i found reading...

i think the appeal of spurs is it means your a glory hunter, without being too obvious about it, i liked spurs cause they were underdogs but realize now you cant actually be a underdog if your mid table prem/pushing for europe.

feyenoordfan

by feyenoordfan » 03 Aug 2006 18:37

Hup Holland Hup
The sad comment was supposed to be humerous and yes, I have no intention of giving up my day job.

With regards to supporting your local team. I'm not suggesting for one moment that this should be enforced but I am a little surprised that people spend a fortune on a shirt and the likes only to watch "their" team on the TV. I don't think I ever chose to support Fortuna or indeed Reading, it just happened.

More then aware that this is a forum for RFC and also aware that this may have strayed off topic. However, having been a supporter of Reading for about 20 years, I would be more then willing to buy you a drink next time you venture down to Limburg. Don't think I'll bother with the scarf swopping though, if that's OK...... :lol:

You're absolutely right in complaining about gloryhunters.
I think you will find those kind of "supporters" in the whole country. When PSV becomes champions 2 times in a row they support PSV, when Feyenoord or any other team (you will understand that my keyboard just won't allow me to type the name of this other team... :wink: ) becomes champions the year after, they suddenly are supporter of the new champions.

Only remark though is that I trully believe that a @j@x fan is made, and a Feyenoordfan is born as one.

For myself, Feyenoord was always in my heart as long as I can remember, and even now, being 32 years old, I really have the feeling that the love only becomes bigger every year!

ps: my parents-in-law live in Maastricht, so I might keep you on buying me a beer one day!! :D

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 04 Aug 2006 18:56

Hup Holland Hup
feyenoordfan
SWLR My son is part of a party of SWL sea scouts currently at the Dutch national seascout camp, Nawaka, near Arnhem (6,000 of them; a dibbing and a dobbing). Given the wacky :roll: comments of the Dutch fans on here can I expect him to come back traumatised, or more likely bored?

I think your son will be ok, although the weather is not as good as last week anymore.

ps: I'm a bit sad that you think only the Dutch fans make wacky comments!! :cry:

I don't think he means that at all. I think the point he's trying to make is that most, if not all, Dutch people are boring bastards. What he hasn't taken into account or maybe has choosen to ignore, is the fact that writing in a second language isn't as straightforward as some would think. In real terms the English language is more progressive then the Dutch, for example gek = mad, crazy, insane, bonkers (my personel favourite), barking and wacky to name but a few. Wacky isn't hip and its use further enhances the stero-typical Foreigner image.

I'm sure his son will have had a wonderful time, cynicism comes much later in life.

Son arrived back last night. Had a great time. Liked the Dutch people he met. Only downside was the food - but not sure if that is a Dutch or a Scout thing

FIIIR

by FIIIR » 05 Aug 2006 12:59

1 week and The Boys from Rotterdam are coming to your town, it will be an experience you'll never forget

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 05 Aug 2006 13:33

Einstein agogo
floyd__streete

they are the scum of the earth

So you'd want all those who support other teams to simply change sides to Reading as soon as Reading go up? Great thinking, yet more plastics :roll:

feyenoordfan

by feyenoordfan » 06 Aug 2006 09:12

SWLR
SWLR .

Son arrived back last night. Had a great time. Liked the Dutch people he met. Only downside was the food - but not sure if that is a Dutch or a Scout thing

I was a scout myself a lot of years ago, and out of that exeperience I have to say: Must be a scout thing.... :oops:

But euh........a typical English breakfast is also not something everybodies fancies...!!! :wink:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 06 Aug 2006 10:01

were ST holders given first dibs of Feyenoord seats? I only ask because we'd been away and couldn't book online just before we went. When we got back we tried to book our usual ST seats but they were taken. so we have 3 seats together a couple of rows in front of our usual ones.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 06 Aug 2006 12:33

Yes they were given priority.

Readings_Fair_City

by Readings_Fair_City » 06 Aug 2006 17:26

FIIIR 1 week and The Boys from Rotterdam are coming to your town, it will be an experience you'll never forget

we'll see, another sheff utd day is it?!

185 posts