222 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The Weakest Link costs us again

by Stranded » 15 Jan 2007 13:19

readingbedding
Scarface
Gunny Fishcake Hahnemann yet again cost us valuable points , the man is a liability .His kicking is a joke , his fumbling getting worse and his abilty to command the six yard box for a man of his size is a farce . He'll do for the season but long term we need a quality keeper

I don't think he should be dropped, however it's about time he had some proper competition for his place.

I agree, I don't think Stack's the keeper to do this.

I know it's easier said than done but Ben Foster from Watford should they go down would be an excellent signing.

Think Man Utd would have a big say in that.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 15 Jan 2007 13:31

Stranded
readingbedding
Scarface
Gunny Fishcake Hahnemann yet again cost us valuable points , the man is a liability .His kicking is a joke , his fumbling getting worse and his abilty to command the six yard box for a man of his size is a farce . He'll do for the season but long term we need a quality keeper

I don't think he should be dropped, however it's about time he had some proper competition for his place.

I know it's easier said than done but Ben Foster from Watford should they go down would be an excellent signing.

Of course, but Man Utd have had no option to recall him all season and they also have Kuszczak on loan.
If Watford go down, he'll not want to sign permanently if given the chance.
So why not us?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jan 2007 13:33

readingbedding
Stranded
readingbedding
Scarface

Of course, but Man Utd have had no option to recall him all season and they also have Kuszczak on loan.
If Watford go down, he'll not want to sign permanently if given the chance.
So why not us?

Indeed, not saying he wouldn't be a good signing. I've a funny feeling he could be pushing for a start at Man Utd next season.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 15 Jan 2007 13:33

Hahnemann looks like he's made of rubber this season - everything that goes anywhere near him seems to bounce away all the time. It's been the cause of much irritation for me throughout the whole season.

He'll get his support from me on the pitch, but as an onlooker posting an opinion on a geeky internet forum (yes I readily acknowledge that I too am a geek) I think he aint up to this level.

Ultimately those two dropped points here and there could prove really costly, if over the course of next season he continues to drop clangers like that.

He just aint completely got it for me.

On a more contentious note, anyone else scream out loud at the telly at Sonko when he hoofed the ball down the line for Doyle to hopelessly chase only to crock himself for weeks?

Seconds before that League 1 style hoof from Superman, I shouted out the EASY pass to Hunt inside him (Hunt unmarked and in acres of space 10 yards away) only to be hugely disappointed.

Yes I a blaming Sonko's inability to show the simplest amount of compsure for the injury to Doyle. I was SHAKING with anger.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jan 2007 13:35

Tis a bit far fetched to blame Sonko for Doyle's injury. If his hamstring was going to go, it was going to go whether during that run or one a couple of minutes later.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 15 Jan 2007 13:38

Stranded Tis a bit far fetched to blame Sonko for Doyle's injury. If his hamstring was going to go, it was going to go whether during that run or one a couple of minutes later.

It's a game of percentages really. Keep giving him hopelessly shite passes to make something out of then he'll stretch himself too far, so yes, I agree with you partially.

G'La

by G'La » 15 Jan 2007 13:52

To Gunny Fishcake and all you other Marcus doubter I ask you to take a look at these Actim Keeper Rankings...

1 edwin van der sar
2 david james
3 jose reina
4 jussi jaaskelainen
5 marcus hahnemann

Not bad for a keeper who's been labeled as "the teams weakest link" in his first season in the top flight, with a team who hasnt the largest budget or squad but are currently sat in 9th place.

Get a f*cking grip on reality and a perspective on the grand scheme of things!

Banjax

by Banjax » 15 Jan 2007 13:54

yeah but thats rated on goals scored against i think he mostly has superman, murts and ivar to thank for that

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jan 2007 13:59

G'La To Gunny Fishcake and all you other Marcus doubter I ask you to take a look at these Actim Keeper Rankings...

1 edwin van der sar
2 david james
3 jose reina
4 jussi jaaskelainen
5 marcus hahnemann

Not bad for a keeper who's been labeled as "the teams weakest link" in his first season in the top flight, with a team who hasnt the largest budget or squad but are currently sat in 9th place.

With all due respect using the actim stats as a proof that he is playing well shows that you may need to get "a f*cking grip on reality".

They are a fun guide and that is it. A keeper gets points for saves but there is no difference in points for a save made from a bobbling shot from 25 yards or a point blank wonder save. Marcus has made more saves than any other keeper hence he is up there on those stats - what it doesn't say is that most of his saves this year have been routine saves from long range shots that any keeper will make.

G'La

by G'La » 15 Jan 2007 14:04

Banjax yeah but thats rated on goals scored against i think he mostly has superman, murts and ivar to thank for that

Actim stats are based round individual players ability (saves, pass completion etc...) and have nothing to do with say a defensive unit as a whole.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 15 Jan 2007 14:07

I am beginning to side with the people that are exposing the flaws in his game. I was happy to turn a blind eye to the odd mistake because of the fact that Hahnmanns overall game has so many plus points.

However it is frustrating when your keeper comes out and flaps.......

Johnson made the only connection that was possible that would result in a goal from that cross from the right under massive pressure from our centrebacks......... The only way he was gonna score was if Hahnmann came off his line attempting to get there first, but getting there last and leaving an empty goal to loop the ball into.

Hahnmanns decision making has been poor recently. If you come out for a cross you have got to get there. If you don't think you will get there first, stay on your line and react to the shot.

In this case it would have been an easy catch on his line........

Simple decision to make. If you can get there first go and deal with the cross otherwise stay on your line and react to the connection.

Hahnmanns judgement in this situation has been very poor this season. There were three occassions against Everton where he didn't make that judgement correctly.

Right now Marcus is the best keeper at the club. But if we can improve his position then we should.... If we wanna improve our 11 and get higher up the table then Hahnmann is a weak link in the team that needs to be improved upon.

But finding a better keeper will be very difficult because Hahnmann actually is already one of the better keepers in the English game. If we don't improve on that position it will be because Coppell and Hammond have been unable to identify a better solution that ticks the 4 boxes that Coppell always talks about when evaluating transfer possibilities.

So in that case we need to back Hahnmann to the hilt, support him out on the park and hopfully our coaches will be able to help him identify his weak areas and improve his game.

Its not easy to coach judgement though into a keeper is it? You can either judge things or you can't! I hope Hahnmann does improve.

G'La

by G'La » 15 Jan 2007 14:19

Stranded
G'La To Gunny Fishcake and all you other Marcus doubter I ask you to take a look at these Actim Keeper Rankings...

1 edwin van der sar
2 david james
3 jose reina
4 jussi jaaskelainen
5 marcus hahnemann

With all due respect using the actim stats as a proof that he is playing well shows that you may need to get "a f*cking grip on reality".

They are a fun guide and that is it. A keeper gets points for saves but there is no difference in points for a save made from a bobbling shot from 25 yards or a point blank wonder save. Marcus has made more saves than any other keeper hence he is up there on those stats - what it doesn't say is that most of his saves this year have been routine saves from long range shots that any keeper will make.

Granted Actim stats can be used for "fun" such as the Premier League Dream Team but they are also used scientifically monitoring players form over the season. So they're taken quite seriously by the FA, Premierleague and clubs alike. Using these statistics (such as these) shows constancy and emphasises the fact that some people on this forum are quick to point the finger based on an “offâ€

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jan 2007 14:24

OK but my point remains that Marcus could have a game (and I'm sure he has this year) where he's made 4 or 5 saves that are routine i.e. straight at him from 20 yards and score well and can do this consistantly over the season - which no-one doubts for a second.

What it doesn't take in to account is errors such as he has been making like Sunday and in previous game. They can give a flase representation of what is actually happening.

As I've said I've no concerns over his shot stopping ability - it's his decision making and handling that is really beginning to become a concern - something not apparent in those stats.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Jan 2007 14:27

Sorry G'La, I have pointed out his poor handling several times this season - it has been there for all to see, even during games where he has generally played very well.

It is an ongoing weakness (a constancy if you like), and although I am sure the coaching staff have worked on it, he has not improved one iota in this regard all season.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 15 Jan 2007 14:36

Didn't we have this discussion two years ago? He seemed to be losing it then, poor distribution, elementary errors, and then last year he came back strong.

G'La

by G'La » 15 Jan 2007 14:37

Stranded OK but my point remains that Marcus could have a game (and I'm sure he has this year) where he's made 4 or 5 saves that are routine i.e. straight at him from 20 yards and score well and can do this consistantly over the season - which no-one doubts for a second.

What it doesn't take in to account is errors such as he has been making like Sunday and in previous game. They can give a flase representation of what is actually happening.

As I've said I've no concerns over his shot stopping ability - it's his decision making and handling that is really beginning to become a concern - something not apparent in those stats.

Thats all well and good. I agree that Marcus has his moments and yes he did cost us the game yesterday but by the same token he's won us a few this season too.

Thats all well and good. I agree that Marcus has his moments and yes he did cost us the game yesterday but by the same token he's won us a few this season too.

The reason why I say people need to get a grip is because we're Reading FC, we're not going to have the best players in the league and we're gonna have our struggles. Things are going swimmingly at the moment in terms of our league position and the fact that it looks as if we're heading toward our second season it the top flight.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 15 Jan 2007 14:42

G'La
Banjax yeah but thats rated on goals scored against i think he mostly has superman, murts and ivar to thank for that

Actim stats are based round individual players ability (saves, pass completion etc...) and have nothing to do with say a defensive unit as a whole.

How is the Actim Index calculated?

Complex mathematical formulae were devised to calculate the value of each player's contribution, match by match. In simple terms, the Actim Index comprises six calculations:
Calculation 1 - Assesses a player's contribution to a winning team, based on points won by the team when he appeared.
Calculation 2 - Assesses a player's performance in each game, by allocating points for actions that positively contribute to a winning performance such as shots, tackles, clearances and saves. It also takes points away from players for negative actions such as yellow/red cards and shots off target.
Calculation 3 - Allocates points based on time on the pitch.
Calculation 4 - Allocates points for goal scorers.
Calculation 5 - Allocates points for assists.
Calculation 6 - Allocates points for clean sheets

As it happens, the performance of the goalie can't be taken in isolation.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jan 2007 14:44

G'La
Stranded OK but my point remains that Marcus could have a game (and I'm sure he has this year) where he's made 4 or 5 saves that are routine i.e. straight at him from 20 yards and score well and can do this consistantly over the season - which no-one doubts for a second.

The reason why I say people need to get a grip is because we're Reading FC, we're not going to have the best players in the league and we're gonna have our struggles. Things are going swimmingly at the moment in terms of our league position and the fact that it looks as if we're heading toward our second season it the top flight.

Indeed they are and I'm happy as Larry but it doesn't stop the fact that almost recurring theme this year has been Hahnemann's poor distribution, handling and decision making. We're now well over half way through the season and it's still a topic of heated discussion. Something should have changed. It hasn't and that's a cause for concern.

It shows one of two things really, MH and the coaching he is getting can't improve these areas or he doesn't want to improve these areas. Possibly because he sees no need.

We need decent competition for the keepers shirt to either see an improvement in Marcus or another keeper between the sticks. We are doing well but if you don't look to improve (esp something that should be easy to improve) then you start going backwards, maybe not this season but next.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 15 Jan 2007 15:11

Royal Rother I am so important and therefore anything I say is 100% correct and spot on.

Does everybody really expect 100% perfect performances from all of the players? The players are only human and can only be expected to perform to the best of their ability. And it's the team's first ever season in the Premiership, so to have achieved as much as we have so far that we must be exceeding everybody's expectations.

By the way, I read something in the fans forum notes about the ball in the Premiership being different from that in the championship and Nick Shorey commented that the ball is a nightmare for keepers. So maybe that's a factor in Hahnemann having problems with his decision making and handling of the ball.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 15 Jan 2007 15:16

SpaceCruiser
Royal Rother I am so important and therefore anything I say is 100% correct and spot on.

Does everybody really expect 100% perfect performances from all of the players? The players are only human and can only be expected to perform to the best of their ability. And it's the team's first ever season in the Premiership, so to have achieved as much as we have so far that we must be exceeding everybody's expectations.

By the way, I read something in the fans forum notes about the ball in the Premiership being different from that in the championship and Nick Shorey commented that the ball is a nightmare for keepers. So maybe that's a factor in Hahnemann having problems with his decision making and handling of the ball.

No, silly.

We Reading fans now expect NO mistakes and NO errors.

Football should be played by Robots, not humans, therefore mistakes and errors should be cancelled out.

We still promise however, to go over-the-top in our praise when they win or overly critical if the team lose or draw.

Amen.

222 posts