The Warnock post match moan thread

239 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 21 Jan 2007 16:44

M4 Junction 11
Royal Rother
lozz2601 On Goals on Sunday you could see Warnock says/shouts something about breaking a leg by reading his lips.
"Break his *beep*ing leg" looks very similar.

His view was that Sidwell's challenge on Armstrong could have ended up "breaking his *beep*ing leg".

He said to the ref. that Sidwell's challenge some minutes before was worse (than an elbow to the face) or he got carried away with the occasion. The doesn't make any sense and he's got a track record of getting a bit excitable.

That doesn't make a lot of sense either. :?

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 21 Jan 2007 16:50

Royal Rother
Royal Lady Oh, and according to the Mail on Sunday, Copps isn't going to fine Wally or castigate him. I think that sums up perfectly the fact that Copps also believes, as he stated, that Warnock made that gesture on purpose and was not really moaning about that Sidwell tackle. If Copps had any doubts, he'd have publicly stated that he would fine Wally and didn't approve of his actions imho.

Where and how did Coppell say that? Quote please.

Mail on Sunday "I don’t have a problem with Steve Coppell but I do have a problem with Wally — and that goes back a lot longer than Reading, to be honest." Warnock claimed that Downes had misinterpreted his reaction to encouraging his team to "break players’ legs". Coppell said he expected repercussions from the incident but refused to condemn Downes. "I don’t have a problem with what Wally did," said the Reading manager. "On the face of it, I don’t think I’ll be taking any action against him." .

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 21 Jan 2007 16:51

Royal Rother
M4 Junction 11
Royal Rother
lozz2601 On Goals on Sunday you could see Warnock says/shouts something about breaking a leg by reading his lips.
"Break his *beep*ing leg" looks very similar.

His view was that Sidwell's challenge on Armstrong could have ended up "breaking his *beep*ing leg".

He said to the ref. that Sidwell's challenge some minutes before was worse (than an elbow to the face) or he got carried away with the occasion. The doesn't make any sense and he's got a track record of getting a bit excitable.

That doesn't make a lot of sense either. :?

The first doesn't make any sense and he's got a track record of getting a bit excitable :oops:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Jan 2007 17:15

Annoyed me when that useless overpaid ex Royal Donkey Keown had a go about Hunt on 'Goals on Sunday'. Whilst acknowledging that Hunt is a good player he claimed that Hunt got involved in far too many incidents yesterday and someone should take him aside and have a word about it!!

'Listen Steven, next time you're asked to mark a man, let him push you around all he wants and whatever you do don't stand your ground just in case it winds him up and he turns around and elbows you. If he does, it will all be your fault.'

Clearly Keown belongs to the Moronho 'Hunt is the son of the devil' school of thought.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 21 Jan 2007 17:18

Royal Rother Personally I think that's crazy talk. No manager would have lasted this long in football management if he was really prone to that sort of violence.

Have you not heard the references on here? Warnock DOES have a track record for this.

1) Battle of Bramall Lane: He sent on George Santos knowing that the guy that broke his face the previous year was on the pitch, saying "i'm giving you 20mins, get on and do what you want"..whereby Sanos got sent off 4mins later for a disgraceful 2footer on the guy. THEN Warnock calls over Curle and the charge was that he told Curle to get the game stopped, and Curle promtly got himself sent off for swearing at the officials and one player went down saying he was injured leading to the first abandoned match in history due to lack of players (charge not proved i should point out).

2) Last season Sheff Utd - Leeds: after Gary Kelly (when on a yellow card) didnt get sent off for a nasty challenge that injured the blades player Warnock got in trouble for standing on the sidelines and shouting for his players to "break Kelly's f*cking leg"

The guy has form

Was sat with a Sheff Utd fan who is one my best mates and he is well aware of Warnock's form and he felt (like me) that at the time that Warnock was clearly gesturing for someone to 'do' hunt or a random

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 21 Jan 2007 17:21

oooo it were great though werent it

warnock did nowt, except gesture like a twat, and wally went for him, all above board, nothing to see here, should be allowed, made it a great game to watch

the only disgrace is gillespie, and anyone who even hints that hunty has a tendancy to cause these incedents

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Jan 2007 19:14

Royal Rother
Royal Lady Oh, and according to the Mail on Sunday, Copps isn't going to fine Wally or castigate him. I think that sums up perfectly the fact that Copps also believes, as he stated, that Warnock made that gesture on purpose and was not really moaning about that Sidwell tackle. If Copps had any doubts, he'd have publicly stated that he would fine Wally and didn't approve of his actions imho.

You seem a tad annoyed that I'd found one!

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 21 Jan 2007 19:54

John Madejski's Wallet Was sat with a Sheff Utd fan who is one my best mates and he is well aware of Warnock's form and he felt (like me) that at the time that Warnock was clearly gesturing for someone to 'do' hunt or a random

You'd think he could come up with a more "coded" gesture such as scratching his arse, although reaching Keith Gillespie from the technical area could be difficult.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 21 Jan 2007 20:55

Royal Lady
Royal Rother

You seem a tad annoyed that I'd found one!

Huh? I don't follow. :?

I haven't seen any comment from Coppell saying that he didn't believe Warnock was referring to Sidwell's tackle. I heard him say, quite rightly, that it was somewhat inflammatory and, whyever he was doing it, it was the wrong thing to be doing in the immediate aftermath of a highly charged sending off. If he said more than that I missed it.

The fact that his initial thoughts were NOT to fine Downes but let the FA take their own action is certainly not evidence that he believed Warnock was instructing his players to do damage to Hunt, whatever his past form might be.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Jan 2007 21:08

John Madejski's Wallet 1) Battle of Bramall Lane: He sent on George Santos knowing that the guy that broke his face the previous year was on the pitch, saying "i'm giving you 20mins, get on and do what you want"..whereby Sanos got sent off 4mins later for a disgraceful 2footer on the guy. THEN Warnock calls over Curle and the charge was that he told Curle to get the game stopped, and Curle promtly got himself sent off for swearing at the officials and one player went down saying he was injured leading to the first abandoned match in history due to lack of players (charge not proved i should point out).

Not quite what happened. The keeper was sent off in the first half. Santos came on and got sent off for hacking Johnson. In the melee, Suffo got sent off for headbutting someone. Curle then went over to Warnock and something was said. Then Curle and Michael Brown, both already on a yellow spent the next 5 minutes hacking any WBA player they could get near. but the ref, refused to send them off, probasbly aware that it would result in an abandonment. Brown then decided to just walk off the pitch, allegedly injured and United had used all their substitues. Then Robert Ullathorne suffered a genuine injury and the game was abandoned. What insensed Megson so much was that immediately after Curle spoke to Warnock, players went on on a rampage hacking everyone in sight in what looked like a deliberate atttempt to get sent off. Warnock got off that charge on a technicality purely because it was basically his word against Megson.

DelBoyRodders
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by DelBoyRodders » 21 Jan 2007 21:13

From Despair To Where?
John Madejski's Wallet
Royal Rother 1) Battle of Bramall Lane: He sent on George Santos knowing that the guy that broke his face the previous year was on the pitch, saying "i'm giving you 20mins, get on and do what you want"..whereby Sanos got sent off 4mins later for a disgraceful 2footer on the guy. THEN Warnock calls over Curle and the charge was that he told Curle to get the game stopped, and Curle promtly got himself sent off for swearing at the officials and one player went down saying he was injured leading to the first abandoned match in history due to lack of players (charge not proved i should point out).

Not quite what happened. The keeper was sent off in the first half. Santos came on and got sent off for hacking Johnson. In the melee, Suffo got sent off for headbutting someone. Curle then went over to Warnock and something was said. Then Curle and Michael Brown, both already on a yellow spent the next 5 minutes hacking any WBA player they could get near. but the ref, refused to send them off, probasbly aware that it would result in an abandonment. Brown then decided to just walk off the pitch, allegedly injured and United had used all their substitues. Then Robert Ullathorne suffered a genuine injury and the game was abandoned. What insensed Megson so much was that immediately after Curle spoke to Warnock, players went on on a rampage hacking everyone in sight in what looked like a deliberate atttempt to get sent off. Warnock got off that charge on a technicality purely because it was basically his word against Megson.

That was exactly what happened.

Argue your way out of that one then Royal Rother!!

Colin has history for this type of thing, no matter what you say.

Can't see for the life of me how or why you can possibly defend him. I'm sure even normal and fair minded Sheffield United fans can see that their manager is guilty of this type of thing.

Trendy

by Trendy » 21 Jan 2007 21:23

Wally gets physical, physical
Wally gets physical
Let’s stick it to the Sheffield man
Let us see your body slam, your body slam
Let us see your body slam

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 21 Jan 2007 21:45

DBR, all charges against Warnock were dropped IIRC. The perpetrators of the nutty challenges were Santos and Suffo. Warnock was as good as his word in the aftermath in that Santos never played for the club again and Suffo was immediately transfer listed.

Keith Curle did not get sent off so I'm afraid that was not exactly what happened at all.

As usual the judge and jury syndrome when Warnock's in town falls over at the first hurdle.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 21 Jan 2007 21:48

wiggso
Scrappy

The gesture. Tw@t.

"You put you right leg in, right leg out. In, out, in, out, shake it all about...."

ohagerup

by ohagerup » 21 Jan 2007 21:50

What is the history between Downes and Warnock, then?

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 21 Jan 2007 21:54

ohagerup What is the history between Downes and Warnock, then?

Downes and Warnock were teammates (?) some years ago. Also, Wally was Assistant to Stan Ternent and there was never any love lost between Ternent and Warnock. Read Stan Ternent's autobiography if you can find it.

Coppelloadofthat
Location: You can do better than me, but I can't do better than you.

by Coppelloadofthat » 21 Jan 2007 22:16

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,867194,00.html
Ternent prepares to avoid his arch enemy

Jeremy Butler
Wednesday January 1, 2003
The Guardian

Burnley's manager Stan Ternent says he has nothing against Sheffield United, his team's opponents at Bramall Lane this afternoon. But he still cannot stand the sight of their manager Neil Warnock.

In his recently published autobiography, Stan the Man: A Hard Life in Football, Ternent accused Warnock of dispatching a spy to listen in on his team talk, an incident that led to a punch-up in the referee's room.

"After most matches managers slurp bottles of beer together watching the classified results filter through," Ternent wrote. "Most enjoy these get-togethers and a chance to swap anecdotes. But I've never done that with Warnock. Our feud goes back years and I cannot abide the man."

Their antipathy came to a head during Burnley's 2-0 defeat at Bramall Lane in April 2001.

"At half-time we were one goal down and as I was asking how much my players wanted it, I thought I heard a noise on the other side of an emergency door," Ternent recalled. "I motioned for them to keep quiet and launched myself into a two-footed kung-fu kick against the door. It exploded outwards and I saw a figure scurry away.

"I then took one of my players to see the referee and show him a wound and heard a voice behind me say, 'Come off it Stan - you are always at it.'

"I turned to see Warnock's No2 Kevin Blackwell and I shouted, 'Let's have it now.' I ran up, smacked him in the face and nutted him for good measure. He hit me back and my nose ruptured. I jumped on him and we fell to the floor shoving the door to the referee's room wide open.

"Stewards and United staff pounced on my back and eventually dragged me away. I'd given him a few cracks and a couple of follow-ups.

"I've had a friendly beer with Blackwell since, but I won't look Warnock in the face."

Ternent played down the feud yesterday. "This match is not about the managers," he said. "I have no problem with the players or anyone else at the club."

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 21 Jan 2007 22:28

From Despair To Where? Brown then decided to just walk off the pitch, allegedly injured and United had used all their substitues. Then Robert Ullathorne suffered a genuine injury and the game was abandoned.

Brown was properly injured too - he missed a number of games afterwards.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Jan 2007 22:31

Royal Rother DBR, all charges against Warnock were dropped IIRC. The perpetrators of the nutty challenges were Santos and Suffo. Warnock was as good as his word in the aftermath in that Santos never played for the club again and Suffo was immediately transfer listed.

Keith Curle did not get sent off so I'm afraid that was not exactly what happened at all.

As usual the judge and jury syndrome when Warnock's in town falls over at the first hurdle.

I suggest you read the full context of DBR's post before commenting. As stated in the post he quoted, Curle was not sent off despite some quite disgraceful challenges shortly after speaking to Warnock because the ref probably figured it would result in an abandonment. Brown was equally guilty of some bad challenges and he decided to walk off the pitch. Injured or not, I believe that leaving the pitch without permission is technically a bookable offence. Warnock escaped punishment because the ref did not witness it. Hardly overwhelming proof of innocence.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 21 Jan 2007 23:41

Royal Rother Keith Curle did not get sent off so I'm afraid that was not exactly what happened at all.

Ok, I got it wrong about Curle being set off.

He did however get charged. The club had 6 charges against them i believe. As did Warnock iirc. Neither proof of guilt or innocence though

239 posts