Brighton v Reading

142 posts
SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 30 Jul 2007 12:37

Daniella
SpaceCruiser What did Scott Murray gesture at us at Ashton Gate?

Yeah, looked like a spastic too, waving his arms around hands on ears,etc

Remember the injury to one of their players breaking his ankle, caused a big scfuffle in the reading end as some were taking the piss.

Are you referring to the 4-0 defeat the previous season when Bristol people (and a few mongs on here) were accusing Ricky Newman of deliberately "stamping" :roll: on the Bristol City player's leg?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 30 Jul 2007 12:40

Huntley & Palmer Yep, very very depressing at half time during that game. As always with Reading though, it ain't fun unless you are being put through the ringer during a game. Went mental when Rougier put that diving header (?) into the net. Not a single Reading player celebrate with him either, instead choosing to hug the person that had the shot that was saved. Thank heavens for Rougier and his God

Yes, Rougier scored with a diving header. Though, wasn't it just one goal back, I thought it was John Salako who scored the equaliser?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 30 Jul 2007 12:41

It was a 50/50 challenge and Newman went in hard, as he always did. I remember being sat to the far right of the goal in the away end and it was pretty much in front of me. The player lifted his leg up and you could see his foot was at a right angle, bloke behind me was shouting at him to "get up and run it off" I pointed out that might be quite hard for him :roll:

Daniella

by Daniella » 30 Jul 2007 12:41

Yeah, thats the same game murray taunted us. Not sure he even played in the 3-3, remember lee packock handballing and sticking one in for 2-1. Then the ref gives the most bizzare penalty ever seen, even confusing the city players, 2-2. Watson free kick, 3-2 us. Then start of second half 3-3 with a crappy tap in. City always were that annoying team we struggled against, they actually played football, we were used to having to break down defensive sides in those days, it was like a culture shocking playing them.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 30 Jul 2007 12:45

SpaceCruiser
Huntley & Palmer Yep, very very depressing at half time during that game. As always with Reading though, it ain't fun unless you are being put through the ringer during a game. Went mental when Rougier put that diving header (?) into the net. Not a single Reading player celebrate with him either, instead choosing to hug the person that had the shot that was saved. Thank heavens for Rougier and his God

Yes, Rougier scored with a diving header. Though, wasn't it just one goal back, I thought it was John Salako who scored the equaliser?

Ah yes, that was it. Just checked the match reports, forgot it was the first goal. Parky shot saved and followed in by Rougier

Back in the good old days of Div 2 when we were a 'big club'. Big attendances for City, Stoke, Cardiff, Brighton, Wycombe, Swindon, Oxford. Stoke were always a oxf*rd to beat, especially with Hoekstra who seemed to be injured for every game apart from us. Wasn't Bury and York City a big bogey team for us as well, never used to beat the oxf*rd

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 30 Jul 2007 12:48

York City was in the FA Cup cup - 2000 and 2002.

Oh for when a 3rd round tie meant we'd already had a bit of a cup run.

Daniella

by Daniella » 30 Jul 2007 12:52

papereyes York City was in the FA Cup cup - 2000 and 2002.

Chris iwelumo from the halfway line? :lol:

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 30 Jul 2007 12:53

Daniella
papereyes York City was in the FA Cup cup - 2000 and 2002.

Chris iwelumo from the halfway line? :lol:

Are you referring to the two offside goals?

Daniella

by Daniella » 30 Jul 2007 12:54

First was off, second was poor goalkeeping.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 30 Jul 2007 13:01

Both were offside. The second one might have been down to poor goalkeeping, but the player was still in an offside position when he was still in our half when all of our players were up the field (i.e. none of our players were in our half!)

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 30 Jul 2007 13:05

I remember that second goal kicked off lots of chair banging in the East Stand :lol:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jul 2007 13:09

Huntley & Palmer
SpaceCruiser

Ah yes, that was it. Just checked the match reports, forgot it was the first goal. Parky shot saved and followed in by Rougier

Back in the good old days of Div 2 when we were a 'big club'. Big attendances for City, Stoke, Cardiff, Brighton, Wycombe, Swindon, Oxford. Stoke were always a oxf*rd to beat, especially with Hoekstra who seemed to be injured for every game apart from us. Wasn't Bury and York City a big bogey team for us as well, never used to beat the oxf*rd

It was the first goal, but I class it as the most important as up to that point we were abject. Rouge's goal seemed to get the belief flowing through the team and the equaliser was just a matter of time.

Seagullette

by Seagullette » 30 Jul 2007 21:58

Platypuss
Seagullette
Platypuss
Seagullette
The Cube
readingbedding There must be some pitches as tight as the Withdean in the Prem.

Withdean's pitch is illegally narrow (i.e. less than Football League minimum width, although not less than the width stated in the laws of the game), so no there won't be any like it at proper football grounds. The Football League told me that Brighton have special temporary dispensation.

Methinks you ought to check out the truth.

From the Football League website

I think you'll find you're just re-quoting the FIFA Laws of the Game there - I don't think the FL have their 07/08 competition rules up yet.

What part of Football League don't you understand? Look for yourself. As I posted earlier there is less than 1.5 metres difference either way in our pitches.

http://www.football-league.premiumtv.co ... 40,00.html

And which part of "re-quoting the FIFA Laws of the Game " do YOU not understand?

KWOOF.

I didn't quote or copy and paste FIFA laws. I went to the Football League website.
If you want to twist my post then carry on. You are only making yourself look stupid.
We haven't got a special dispensation from the Football League, the FA or anyone else.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 30 Jul 2007 22:22

Seagullette
Platypuss
Seagullette
Platypuss
Seagullette
The Cube
readingbedding There must be some pitches as tight as the Withdean in the Prem.

Withdean's pitch is illegally narrow (i.e. less than Football League minimum width, although not less than the width stated in the laws of the game), so no there won't be any like it at proper football grounds. The Football League told me that Brighton have special temporary dispensation.

Methinks you ought to check out the truth.

From the Football League website

I think you'll find you're just re-quoting the FIFA Laws of the Game there - I don't think the FL have their 07/08 competition rules up yet.

What part of Football League don't you understand? Look for yourself. As I posted earlier there is less than 1.5 metres difference either way in our pitches.

http://www.football-league.premiumtv.co ... 40,00.html

And which part of "re-quoting the FIFA Laws of the Game " do YOU not understand?

KWOOF.

I didn't quote or copy and paste FIFA laws. I went to the Football League website.
If you want to twist my post then carry on. You are only making yourself look stupid.
We haven't got a special dispensation from the Football League, the FA or anyone else.

So there must a couple of teams with pitches as tight as that in the Prem.
Although Highbury is no more, that was a very narrow pitch.

The Cube

by The Cube » 30 Jul 2007 22:31

OK, I really don't know why I'm bothering to argue with someone who quite clearly can't read but I'm going to have one last attempt.

1. Width of Withdean pitch

I was not basing my earlier statement on the panorama photo, but on my previous visit (as was clear if you had bothered to read it). I have since seen TV pictures from Saturday's game and now know for certain that the layout is the same now as it was in 2002. So tell me which of the following you disagree with:
(a) Width of penalty area is 44 yards (18 on either side of the goal plus 8 for the goal itself).
(b) Distance between corner flag and hash mark is 10 yards.
(c) Estimated distance between hash mark and penalty area 1.5 yards.
(d) Total width of pitch = 44 + 10 +10 + 1.5 + 1.5 yards = 67 yards.

2. The difference between the Laws of the Game and Football League regulations

There are 17 laws of the game, which change rarely, and one of which includes a statement that a pitch must be at least 50 yards wide. No-one disputes that Brighton comply with that law. These laws can be found in many places including the Football League website.

There are in addition rules that apply to football competitions. For example, a Football League rule states that three points are given for a win, although I appreciate that's something a Brighton fan will have to take on trust. Now, I can't find a current list of all Football League regulations, but I have found a document from July 2006 stating the conditions for entry to the Football League at
http://www.football-league.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Publications/0,,10794,00.html
This includes the following:
13.1 The dimension of the field of play for all League organised matches shall be as follows:
Maximum length 120yds (110 metres)
Minimum length 110yds (100 metres)
Maximum width 80yds (75 metres)
Minimum width 70yds (64 metres)

3. Brighton breaking the rules.

Width of Withdean pitch 67 yards
Football League minimum 70 yards
Q.E.D.

4. Fans from other clubs that post on here

Let's just think about this for a moment. You're a supporter of a crappy little League 2 club, temporarily punching above its weight in League 1. Why would you frequent a Premier League club's messageboard? Oh yes, because the two clubs meet in a pre-season friendly and you want to show everyone how stupid you are.

Seagullette - don't bother to reply unless you include a grovelling apology.

Daniella

by Daniella » 30 Jul 2007 23:04

The Cube, I agreed with all that until the last paragraph. Then unfortuantely you show how blinkered, snobby and rude a large section of our fanbase is. Seagullette has not become offensive or rude and has posted on this board with a fair approach and with the right intentions, she's only backing her own club as most would.

Really poor last paragraph, unfortunately I expect it to be backed up by a few cu*nters on here.

Hahnemann's Hairdresser

by Hahnemann's Hairdresser » 30 Jul 2007 23:19

Daniella The Cube, I agreed with all that until the last paragraph. Then unfortuantely you show how blinkered, snobby and rude a large section of our fanbase is. Seagullette has not become offensive or rude and has posted on this board with a fair approach and with the right intentions, she's only backing her own club as most would.

Second the sentiment in that.

"Let's just think about this for a moment. You're a supporter of a crappy little League 2 club, temporarily punching above its weight in League 1" is not a million miles away from, "Let's just think about this for a moment. You're a supporter of a crappy little Championship club, temporarily punching above its weight in The Premiership..." Let's not get carried away and remember that it wasn't so long ago that Brighton were beating us 2-0 at the Madejski.

Also it was earlier stated that Brighton have dispensation from the Football League excusing them from the rule about the width of the pitch. If this is true then surely they arn't breaking any rules at all, as they are exempt.

The Cube

by The Cube » 30 Jul 2007 23:44

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 30 Jul 2007 23:58

Daniella The Cube, I agreed with all that until the last paragraph. Then unfortuantely you show how blinkered, snobby and rude a large section of our fanbase is. Seagullette has not become offensive or rude and has posted on this board with a fair approach and with the right intentions, she's only backing her own club as most would.

Really poor last paragraph, unfortunately I expect it to be backed up by a few cu*nters on here.

Mmmm, I'm sure Seagullette cast the first rock with her line:

Seagullette You are only making yourself look stupid.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 31 Jul 2007 04:23

Huntley & Palmer
SpaceCruiser

Don't think Bury were that much of a bogey team. I remember being up there on a wet Tuesday night seeing a 2-0 win (thanks to Curo and Butler?), also gave them a good stuffing at home 4-1 i believe. Think it's those draws when we were expected to win you're thinking of.

Going to Colchester was always rubbish!

142 posts