Match Preview Man. Utd (A) 12th Aug......and Predictions

214 posts
premiership_bound

by premiership_bound » 12 Aug 2007 18:22

I am amazed that Kitson hasn't been sent off more. He does those type of tackles nearly every game.

Unlucky that he missed the ball and that Styles is a oxf*rd.
Last edited by premiership_bound on 12 Aug 2007 18:22, edited 1 time in total.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 12 Aug 2007 18:22

A1ndy only 1 striker available of suitable quality, and Chelsea and Everton in the next 7 days. - Totally disagree with you on this one, Shane Long showed last season and throughout pre season that he can score goals. Himself and Doyle will be very effective against chelsea, Everton.

Although todays performance wasnt pretty, it shows we can defend and keep 100% concerntration throughout which is something were going to need this season.

Long scored 2 Premiership goals in 21 (mostly sub) appearances last season. Fowler got 7 or 8 and few consider him up to the task any more.

I like Long, he has a lot of potential, is quick and strong, but he isn't a Premiership striker yet by any stretch of the imagination.

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 12 Aug 2007 18:23

cmonurz As for 'we won't play like that every week' - that it of course true. Or at least would be if we had some striking options on the books.

You forget Doyle, Long, Cox and (ahem) Seol can play there.

Long is more than up to the job now. He will work his balls off and sparkle. He will get better with games.

Cox has proven he can shine against lower league opposition, why not give him a go?

Seol played there a couple of times last season, and he was OK, not world class but is he ever? Move Oster to the right (I rate Oster, btw) and wack him up front if 2 strikers are needed.

Doyle doesn't need explaining.

Kitson maybe able to get away with it in an appeal.. you never know.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 12 Aug 2007 18:23

premiership_bound I am amazed that Kitson hasn't been sent off more. He does those type of tackles nearly every game.

I know. Damn that ref who applies the rules.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 12 Aug 2007 18:24

cmonurz As for 'we won't play like that every week' - that it of course true. Or at least would be if we had some striking options on the books.

Long is more than up to the job now. He will work his balls off and sparkle. He will get better with games.

Cox has proven he can shine against lower league opposition, why not give him a go?

Seol played there a couple of times last season, and he was OK, not world class but is he ever? Move Oster to the right (I rate Oster, btw) and wack him up front if 2 strikers are needed.

Should we really be 'giving players a go, you never know' when we want to stay in the Premiership? Seol is a winger, his appearances up front for Reading have been poor. We have 3 strikers, only 1 of which is Premiership quality.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 12 Aug 2007 18:25

premiership_bound I am amazed that Kitson hasn't been sent off more. He does those type of tackles nearly every game.

He looked quite shocked - turned to the linesman with pleading shoulders.

Beh. Within the rules as they are written but quite harshly interpreted. If you ask me.

g

by g » 12 Aug 2007 18:26

Didn't apply the rules on diving very well.

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 12 Aug 2007 18:27

cmonurz

Should we really be 'giving players a go, you never know' when we want to stay in the Premiership? Seol is a winger, his appearances up front for Reading have been poor. We have 3 strikers, only 1 of which is Premiership quality.

Give Coppell another idea? A new signing or loan signing will mean the player thinks he's only there for cover. Yup.

You don't know Cox isn't of premiership quality, would you not like to be proved wrong?

You don't know Long isn't of premiership quality, would you not like to be proved wrong?

Seol didn't do too bad from what I remember TBH!

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 12 Aug 2007 18:28

I would love to be proved wrong. I doubt I will.

What I would prefer over both of these is that the club invest in its future by, for example, signing another quality striker.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 12 Aug 2007 18:29

Seol didn't do too bad from what I remember TBH!

Then you're wrong.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 12 Aug 2007 18:31

Btw.. Seol was pretty rubbish today wasn't he? Really thought he would give it a real go this season.. Still wouldn't boo him though, but I think we REALLY needs a new right wing...

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 12 Aug 2007 18:34

Yorkshire Royal Btw.. Seol was pretty rubbish today wasn't he? Really thought he would give it a real go this season.. Still wouldn't boo him though, but I think we REALLY needs a new right wing...

Pretty solid. Didn't do much wrong.

I don't think anyone was particularly rubbish. Well, Kits.

Doyle had nothing to play with. Hunt and Seol had to modify their games.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Aug 2007 18:43

cmonurz Some of you lot need to get over this 'little club' outlook and look at the fact that for the second season in a row we have been completely and utterly outclassed by Manchester United. Sure, we would expect to lose, but wasn't it 2 attempts on goal last season (in the 1-1 draw)?

Shots on goal today was 21 to 3 in United's favour. We posed no threat whatsoever, now have only 1 striker available of suitable quality, and Chelsea and Everton in the next 7 days.

Predictable whinging about the referee, who did nothing wrong.

0-0 is a great result, but a freak result. Play like that for the rest of the season and we will go down.

I'd take a look at those Utd games again. totally dominated on the ball yes. Utd restricted to Half chances, long shots and free kicks.

Doing that to Utd twice and competing strongly in the other 3 games rather makes your freak result comment look like the pile of shite it really is.

We went there and did a job. We rode our luck a little, but United never really looked that threatening. Marcus didn't have to make many particularly difficult saves did he...

Blue&White Mage

by Blue&White Mage » 12 Aug 2007 18:44

Skysports had Harper down as booked?
Anyone know why?

g

by g » 12 Aug 2007 18:44

Blue&White Mage Skysports had Harper down as booked?
Anyone know why?

he stopped ronaldo from shooting a goal IIRC

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 12 Aug 2007 18:45

cmonurz I know. Damn that ref who applies the rules.

Damn the ref who applies the rules inconsistently

Blue and White Toucan

by Blue and White Toucan » 12 Aug 2007 18:50

cmonurz wrote:
Some of you lot need to get over this 'little club' outlook and look at the fact that for the second season in a row we have been completely and utterly outclassed by Manchester United. Sure, we would expect to lose, but wasn't it 2 attempts on goal last season (in the 1-1 draw)?

Shots on goal today was 21 to 3 in United's favour. We posed no threat whatsoever, now have only 1 striker available of suitable quality, and Chelsea and Everton in the next 7 days.

Predictable whinging about the referee, who did nothing wrong.

0-0 is a great result, but a freak result. Play like that for the rest of the season and we will go down.

We played in a way to get a point and we got one, if you think that we will play that way in every game you obviously know very little about football. :roll:

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 12 Aug 2007 18:51

Blue&White Mage

by Blue&White Mage » 12 Aug 2007 18:51

g
Blue&White Mage Skysports had Harper down as booked?
Anyone know why?

he stopped ronaldo from shooting a goal IIRC

lol wouldn't put it passed styles, was suprised he didn't red card oster for yelling F**** joker after the free kick awarded

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Aug 2007 18:53

Kits was bound to get sent off for a challenge like that eventually, he does them all the time. Normally he misses the man and sometimes gets the ball. Just hadn't got up to speed at that point. You can't argue with the red, but I wouldn't have been surprised to see only a yellow.

Utd's freekick at the end was an utter joke. Bit of a bugger we've lost two strikers now, but we should be ok with Long, Cox, Seol and Hunt to cover for a couple of games before Kits and Lita are back.

214 posts