Anybody else preparing to opt out next season?

135 posts
Daniella

Re: Anybody else preparing to opt out next season?

by Daniella » 26 Jan 2008 12:47

londinium it is only football not life and death.

One of the most defeatist laughable phrases ever used in an argument against a football fan. Only someone who doesn't have a big love or interest for a club would ever say that.
You're not alone though, sadly this attitude is why football has become such a business these days, plenty of companies saw the " supply and demand" scenario of which you speak and fully exploited it, pricing out long term fans with people who just wanted to see a bit of prem football or go to a game because its the done thing.
My east stand season ticket is more expensive than some areas of old trafford. What have we achieved and what have man united achieved in the last 10 years?

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 26 Jan 2008 13:02

Daniella

One of the most defeatist laughable phrases ever used in an argument against a football fan. Only someone who doesn't have a big love or interest for a club would ever say that.
You're not alone though, sadly this attitude is why football has become such a business these days, plenty of companies saw the " supply and demand" scenario of which you speak and fully exploited it, pricing out long term fans with people who just wanted to see a bit of prem football or go to a game because its the done thing.
My east stand season ticket is more expensive than some areas of old trafford. What have we achieved and what have man united achieved in the last 10 years?

Lets use the 'I am a better fan than you, because I care more' line.

Firstly, If I didnt have a big love or interest for the club I would bother to use this message board.
Secondly, I will use the 'I am a better fan than you' line of ' I have supported RFC for 31 years!!!'
Thirdly you will find that lots of Southern clubs have higher ticket prices than Northern clubs regardless of there achievement in the 'last 10 years' thats geography for you.

What have we achieved in the last 10 years?? Our 3 highest finishes in our clubs history.

Now where is that new button people speak of before I have to go listen to Morrisey to cheer myself up!!

Daniella

by Daniella » 26 Jan 2008 13:08

londinium
Daniella

Firstly, If I didnt have a big love or interest for the club I would bother to use this message board.
Secondly, I will use the 'I am a better fan than you' line of ' I have supported RFC for 31 years!!!'
Thirdly you will find that lots of Southern clubs have higher ticket prices than Northern clubs regardless of there achievement in the 'last 10 years' thats geography for you.

What have we achieved in the last 10 years?? Our 3 highest finishes in our clubs history.

Now where is that new button people speak of before I have to go listen to Morrisey to cheer myself up!!

Pick your toys up, I wasn't talking about being a better fan than you. I was stating that someone who uses the line " its only football" doesn't have a leg to stand on if they are a true fan. After 31 years, how can you say that? For someone that has supported the club for so long I can't understand that argument. If it was " only football", it wouldn't be the richest sport in the world and father's wouldn't neglect their kids and wives to go to it ever weekend would they?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 26 Jan 2008 13:11

londinium
Daniella

I enjoy going to see Reading play, week in, week out.
I really do.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 26 Jan 2008 13:22

Daniella it is only football not life and death.

My east stand season ticket is more expensive than some areas of old trafford. What have we achieved and what have man united achieved in the last 10 years?[/quote]

Now where is that new button people speak of before I have to go listen to Morrisey to cheer myself up!![/quote]

Pick your toys up, I wasn't talking about being a better fan than you. I was stating that someone who uses the line " its only football" doesn't have a leg to stand on if they are a true fan. After 31 years, how can you say that? For someone that has supported the club for so long I can't understand that argument. If it was " only football", it wouldn't be the richest sport in the world and father's wouldn't neglect their kids and wives to go to it ever weekend would they?[/quote]

Father's who neglect their kids and wives to go watch football are fools. Just because that is what some people do (the minority) doesn't mean that it is either right or anything more important than 'just football'.

I support my team, have done for 31 years and go as often as I can for both financial and family reasons... because I don't drop everything for RFC doesnt mean I dont care, just means I have priorities and football is 'just football' and things like, my partner, my kids, my family, my job and the rest of my life are more important.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 26 Jan 2008 13:30

londinium

Now where is that new button people speak of before I have to go listen to Morrisey to cheer myself up!![/quote]

Pick your toys up, I wasn't talking about being a better fan than you. I was stating that someone who uses the line " its only football" doesn't have a leg to stand on if they are a true fan. After 31 years, how can you say that? For someone that has supported the club for so long I can't understand that argument. If it was " only football", it wouldn't be the richest sport in the world and father's wouldn't neglect their kids and wives to go to it ever weekend would they?[/quote]

Father's who neglect their kids and wives to go watch football are fools. Just because that is what some people do (the minority) doesn't mean that it is either right or anything more important than 'just football'.

I support my team, have done for 31 years and go as often as I can for both financial and family reasons... because I don't drop everything for RFC doesnt mean I dont care, just means I have priorities and football is 'just football' and things like, my partner, my kids, my family, my job and the rest of my life are more important.[/quote]

Put pathetic knuckledraggers like Daniella on your foe list - it's good for you.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 26 Jan 2008 13:38

readingbedding
londinium

I support my team, have done for 31 years and go as often as I can for both financial and family reasons... because I don't drop everything for RFC doesnt mean I dont care, just means I have priorities and football is 'just football' and things like, my partner, my kids, my family, my job and the rest of my life are more important.[/quote]

Put pathetic knuckledraggers like Daniella on your foe list - it's good for you.[/quote]

I feel good now.

reading-dave22

by reading-dave22 » 26 Jan 2008 16:17

When i have to pay adult price i wont be able to afford it, that will be the day i stop renewing. I have been a fan since i supported the sport (fiarly recently of 2001/2002 season. I have another 2 years before i will have to leave, fortunately i will be n the RAF then so it wont matter to me to much :D

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 26 Jan 2008 16:39

..and there we have an example of people that simply cannot afford to watch RFC play?

I see no justification in charging folk 50% on top of what they used to pay to watch the same side that played in the Championship.

kevan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by kevan » 26 Jan 2008 16:52

If the ground is full then peope are saying this is what watching Reading is worth - no further justification is needed in a free market.

Your choice as a consumer is pay or don't - and you are free to do either

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Jan 2008 17:03

The whole year inn ..and there we have an example of people that simply cannot afford to watch RFC play?

I see no justification in charging folk 50% on top of what they used to pay to watch the same side that played in the Championship.

How many times do you think you can make the same point? :lol:

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 26 Jan 2008 17:09

kevan If the ground is full then peope are saying this is what watching Reading is worth - no further justification is needed in a free market.

Thats fair enough in many ways.

In some ways though, and it's kind of unique to football, or at least popular spectator sports, you end up leaving behind a vast chunk of the loyal support that stood by the club, both financially and emotionally through the leaner years.

Reading aren't alone in this respect, its an issue with footballs growth of popularity with the more monied middle classes since Gazza's tears and more significantly the post Euro '96 Sky lead boom in football.

It's not all bad, but it's taken a certain something away from the game.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 26 Jan 2008 17:19

kevan If the ground is full then peope are saying this is what watching Reading is worth - no further justification is needed in a free market.

Same as with fuel prices really, pay what they ask or go without, a free market would be a fair market if it was not all based on maximising profit.

When you get priced out Kevan I look forward to your opinion then.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 26 Jan 2008 18:04

Royal Rother
The whole year inn ..and there we have an example of people that simply cannot afford to watch RFC play?

How many times do you think you can make the same point? :lol:
What exactly is that point? We're watching largely the same team that was obviously far too good for the Championship and came eighth in the Premiership. When did players representing the same club for several seasons become so unfashionable with the fans?

Cookie

by Cookie » 26 Jan 2008 21:11

londinium

Put pathetic knuckledraggers like Daniella on your foe list - it's good for you.

I feel good now.

Got a pic? :)

135 posts