Fae gone to Nice

133 posts
brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Fae gone to Nice

by brendywendy » 11 Jun 2008 19:05

rg6royal
floyd__streete
Archie's penalty Mission: Get Reading back in the prem where (I think) they belong.

Good grief - it is chilling that people actually think like this.

It's a hard one tbh. As we absolutely destroyed the Championship and then struggle in the prem...

dont remember too much struggle in the 1st year up there-

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 11 Jun 2008 19:17

floyd__streete
Archie's penalty Mission: Get Reading back in the prem where (I think) they belong.

What's up Floyd?

Is it so bad to want to be in the top league in the country and possibly the world? Is ambition a crime? If so line me up against the wall and fire away...

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 11 Jun 2008 22:05

Having just read today's article, I have two words for Fae.

Well said.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 11 Jun 2008 23:17

Archie's penalty
floyd__streete

What's up Floyd?

Is it so bad to want to be in the top league in the country and possibly the world? Is ambition a crime? If so line me up against the wall and fire away...

The word you used was "belong" - no club "belongs" in any division, they have to earn the right to be where they are and where they want to be.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 11 Jun 2008 23:36

SpaceCruiser The word you used was "belong" - no club "belongs" in any division, they have to earn the right to be where they are and where they want to be.

Spacey thanks for the help but 1) - You are not Floyd, 2) It's a turn of phrase. Of course no-one belongs literally in any division
- I was just trying to say that we should get back up there. And 3) Earn the right? Yeah Manchester United earned the right by being really, really, really rich :roll: Clubs like that will always be there unless there is a revolution. But seriously Old Trafford is not the Winter Palace so I don't think there's much chance of that happening...

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 11 Jun 2008 23:54

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Archie's penalty Once again why were the players so unmotivated in those two crucial games?

once again, there are reasons why teams can play badly other than being unmotivated.

I'd say we were definitely complacent for the Bolton & Fulham games (and a number of players would agree) - and is that really all that different from being insufficiently motivated?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 12 Jun 2008 13:36

Archie's penalty Yeah Manchester United earned the right by being really, really, really rich :roll:

They got really, really, really rich by having a trophy laden history, earning their right to compete at the top level over the course and many, many seasons. Football existed before 1992 you know, they weren't just randomly presented with a sackful of cash and prestige. Go to Wikipedia and look up 'Matt Busby'.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 12 Jun 2008 14:05

floyd__streete
Archie's penalty Yeah Manchester United earned the right by being really, really, really rich :roll:

They got really, really, really rich by having a trophy laden history, earning their right to compete at the top level over the course and many, many seasons. Football existed before 1992 you know, they weren't just randomly presented with a sackful of cash and prestige. Go to Wikipedia and look up 'Matt Busby'.

Pre 84' they werent exactly trophy mad at Old Trafford - nothing special like the likes of Liverpool

You ar right though, you earn the right to be where you are, United earned the right to be rich through everything they did on and off the pitch and deserve to be were they are... which in real terms is not actually rich at all. But still one of the best teams in the world

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 12 Jun 2008 18:13

Platypuss
Archie's penalty Once again why were the players so unmotivated in those two crucial games?

once again, there are reasons why teams can play badly other than being unmotivated.

I'd say we were definitely complacent for the Bolton & Fulham games (and a number of players would agree) - and is that really all that different from being insufficiently motivated?

Yes. A lack of motivation implies a lack of caring about the result. Complacency just implies thinking it'd be easier than it was.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 12 Jun 2008 18:16

Archie's penalty
SpaceCruiser The word you used was "belong" - no club "belongs" in any division, they have to earn the right to be where they are and where they want to be.

Spacey thanks for the help but 1) - You are not Floyd, 2) It's a turn of phrase. Of course no-one belongs literally in any division

When people talk about belonging in a division it's typically a reference to where they feel a club of a certain stature should be in the league system.

To suggest a club belongs in the premier is to say you believe they are one of the 20 biggest clubs in the country.

yuomi

by yuomi » 12 Jun 2008 19:18

was it not the case that, at one point, coventry were the longest serving top flight team in england? they didnt exactly belong there did they....

i miss steve ogrizovic...

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 12 Jun 2008 20:25

No, that's Everton isn't it? Coventry only went up in the 60s - Arsenal and Everton have both been up in the top flight for decades, and Liverpool haven't been relegated since, I think, the early 60s.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 Jun 2008 00:54

Archie's penalty

When people talk about belonging in a division it's typically a reference to where they feel a club of a certain stature should be in the league system.

To suggest a club belongs in the premier is to say you believe they are one of the 20 biggest clubs in the country.

Ok well Reading are maybe not in the biggest 20 teams in the country but I think we're in the top 25.

I will repeat I just wanted to say that I think we should be in the top division next year. That's not gonna happen so let's make
sure we're there the year after.

Oh and Floyd - I am well aware of United's history but money has certainly got a lot to do with the reason they are at the top now - and of course the fact they are one of the country's working-class strongholds...

133 posts