Coppell Looks For Excuses Already

223 posts
Roger the Rabbit

Re: Coppell Looks For Excuses Already

by Roger the Rabbit » 09 Jul 2008 12:01

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe We got relagated cause Coppell didn't bring in the players. Extra quality would have got us the points we needed.

Spot on, worked for Birmingham after all !!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 09 Jul 2008 12:14

Roger the Rabbit
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe We got relagated cause Coppell didn't bring in the players. Extra quality would have got us the points we needed.

But it did work for Fulham, Bolton and Sunderland (eventually).

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 09 Jul 2008 12:21

Wycombe Royal
Roger the Rabbit

But it did work for Fulham, Bolton and Sunderland (eventually).

Which kind of suggests it's not by any means the certainty that was suggested.

Even Derby brought in players in January !!

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 09 Jul 2008 12:21

Roger the Rabbit

We had a much, much better side to start with.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 09 Jul 2008 12:24

Roger the Rabbit

We had a much, much better side to start with.

So in reality we didn't need to gamble on spending lots of money, we just needed to tease a small fraction more out of what we had.

Or have we been through this before !!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Jul 2008 12:33

Roger the Rabbit
So in reality we didn't need to gamble on spending lots of money, we just needed to tease a small fraction more out of what we had.

Trying to explain things to you is like talking to a brick wall.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 09 Jul 2008 12:36

Royalee
Roger the Rabbit

Is that because you don't 'explain', you just shout ?

You really should ask someone to explain the concept of a discussion board, it's so much more than a place for people like you to post statements....

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 09 Jul 2008 12:36

Royalee
Roger the Rabbit

Just as I said all last summer.

Wanting to sign player makes you less of a fan!!

:roll:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Jul 2008 12:40

Royalee
Roger the Rabbit

What gets me is that I see the potential of the club and the catchment area and what we could be if we showed a bit of initiative and made the right signings and Coppell stopped talking us down. Then I get morons telling me I expect too much and I should be happy with second best and a manager who isn't sure if he wants the job wasting opportunity after opportunity.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 09 Jul 2008 12:42

Royalee
Roger the Rabbit

When has anyone spoken out against signing players ?

It's the view that thinks signing a player is always going to be the answer that is wrong.

The same people claim Coppell has a poor record in the transfer market also seem to think that all that was needed to keep us up was for Coppell to dip into the transfer market...

I'd suggest it was much more likely that a couple of minor changes to selection policy using the players we already had would have been much more likely to have got us that extra point....

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Jul 2008 12:48

Roger the Rabbit
Royalee
Roger the Rabbit

Is that because you don't 'explain', you just shout ?

You really should ask someone to explain the concept of a discussion board, it's so much more than a place for people like you to post statements....

Right, I'll put it simply for you.

In our first season in the Premiership, our players were playing with confidence off the back of a superb season where we won the Championship by some distance. Nobody knew much about us and we had a good box to box midfielder in Sidwell and even though Seol covered in Little's absence, he was still a damn sight better than Oster. Convey was also fit for some of the season and we had momentum, which carried us through. There were still frailties to be seen during this time though and we needed one or two additions in the right areas, especially with Sidwell going and Little and Convey's injury problems and unfortunately these weren't made.

At the end of our first season, we had the nucleus of an alright team - certainly far better than Birmingham (who finished second in a Championship which was in my eyes weaker than the one we destroyed the previous year). Birmingham went and signed players, but they needed to just in order to get to the level of our starting point. We needed to sign players in order to stay up as our midfield was severely weakened and was not in the same class as the one we had enjoyed in previous years. This was suggested at the time, although some of us trusted Coppell as he had reportedly tracked his main signed in Fae for a whole year, meaning he must've seen him several times in the flesh and known how to play him, along with Cisse.

Unfortunately, almost as soon as the season kicked off, we found that Coppell did not trust Fae enough to play him and Cisse, which puzzled a few of us somewhat. The confidence and momentum of the previous year had now diminished and teams had begun to find us out and double up on the likes of Kitson and Doyle, making it particularly hard when they had also been starved of Little and Convey's service and Sidwell breaking from midfield. Coppell himself admitted that we needed to sign players in December but chose not to do so in January, which is why we went down.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Jul 2008 12:50

Roger the Rabbit When has anyone spoken out against signing players ?

It's the view that thinks signing a player is always going to be the answer that is wrong.

The same people claim Coppell has a poor record in the transfer market also seem to think that all that was needed to keep us up was for Coppell to dip into the transfer market...

I'd suggest it was much more likely that a couple of minor changes to selection policy using the players we already had would have been much more likely to have got us that extra point....

I think you'll find that Coppell changed his team selection quite regularly last season (granted he still managed to get it wrong 95% of the time). And please can you tell me what point there is in having a manager who can't sign decent players?

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 09 Jul 2008 12:51

Royalee
Right, I'll put it simply for you.

In our first season in the Premiership, our players were playing with confidence off the back of a superb season where we won the Championship by some distance. Nobody knew much about us and we had a good box to box midfielder in Sidwell and even though Seol covered in Little's absence, he was still a damn sight better than Oster. Convey was also fit for some of the season and we had momentum, which carried us through. There were still frailties to be seen during this time though and we needed one or two additions in the right areas, especially with Sidwell going and Little and Convey's injury problems and unfortunately these weren't made.

At the end of our first season, we had the nucleus of an alright team - certainly far better than Birmingham (who finished second in a Championship which was in my eyes weaker than the one we destroyed the previous year). Birmingham went and signed players, but they needed to just in order to get to the level of our starting point. We needed to sign players in order to stay up as our midfield was severely weakened and was not in the same class as the one we had enjoyed in previous years. This was suggested at the time, although some of us trusted Coppell as he had reportedly tracked his main signed in Fae for a whole year, meaning he must've seen him several times in the flesh and known how to play him, along with Cisse.

Unfortunately, almost as soon as the season kicked off, we found that Coppell did not trust Fae enough to play him and Cisse, which puzzled a few of us somewhat. The confidence and momentum of the previous year had now diminished and teams had begun to find us out and double up on the likes of Kitson and Doyle, making it particularly hard when they had also been starved of Little and Convey's service and Sidwell breaking from midfield. Coppell himself admitted that we needed to sign players in December but chose not to do so in January, which is why we went down.

Probably quite interesting, but skipping right to the last sentence and it all falls apart !

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 09 Jul 2008 12:52

Royalee
Roger the Rabbit When has anyone spoken out against signing players ?

Royalee I think you'll find that Coppell changed his team selection quite regularly last season (granted he still managed to get it wrong 95% of the time).....

Thankyou for agreeing with my point.

Royalee And please can you tell me what point there is in having a manager who can't sign decent players?

I'm not sure there is one, but I'm not sure what it has to do with RFC either.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Jul 2008 15:12

Royalee Right, I'll put it simply for you.

i actually bothered to read that-and it s all perfectly reasonable

dont know why you have to ruin it every other time youy post
perhaps keeping it simple and insult free is the way forward

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 09 Jul 2008 15:36

Royalee talks a lot of sense, a fair bit of the time. he just gets easily wound up and the rants detract from his more sensible postings.

Having someone say to a perfectly reasonable post "Didn't bother reading that but its rubbish" is only going to wind them up. Maybe that's what you want to achieve?

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 09 Jul 2008 15:47

papereyes Royalee talks a lot of sense, a fair bit of the time. he just gets easily wound up and the rants detract from his more sensible postings.

Having someone say to a perfectly reasonable post "Didn't bother reading that but its rubbish" is only going to wind them up. Maybe that's what you want to achieve?

Luckily no one said that....

Whilst 90% of what he said was quite possibly correct it doesn't change the fact that come the final sentence it all falls apart - given that we DID sign players in January and the point had already been made that we did NOT get relegated purely becasue we didn;t sign the players Royalee thinks we should have done in January.

And I'd dispute the fact that Royalee gets easily wound up - he starts from a wound up stance. I've said before that when he does calm down a bit the basic stuff is good and whether you agree with it or not it makes for a good debate.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 09 Jul 2008 15:50

If my memory serves me correctly, around January last year people like myself, Royalee and others criticised our lack of transfer activity, and highlighted a concern that our league position was misleading, citing that if we didn't invest we would be in serious trouble.

We were told to stop being negative and to "judge things at the end of the season."

I for one took this advice, continued to support the team, but after miminal transfer activity...we went down.

Now we are in another transfer window, and I feel those who aired their greviances last season and were dismissed, have every right to be concerned at a situation that looks remarkably similar to that of last summer and January 2008, particularly in terms of the hollow rhetoric coming out of the club.

Oh, and a huge LOL at those people trying to suggest our lack of QUALITY new signings was not the fundemental cause of our relegation. How naive are you prepared to be? Or are you just that desperate to defend the club? Just accept they fcuked it up, and that they may be about to do it again unless they pull their finger out!

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 09 Jul 2008 16:04

Seal I feel those who aired their greviances last season and were dismissed, have every right to be concerned !

I'm sure Royalee, Hoop Blah, Papereyes etc are all strong enough characters to find the idea thatthey were 'dismissed' as quite offensive, they've made their views known loud and clear for a long time and quite rightly so. Are you suggesting that anyone who has different views should allow the vociferous ones to hold sway ? It's up to anyone to argue their corner - and none of thosementioned are ever slow to make their case in the strongest manner possible.

Seal Oh, and a huge LOL at those people trying to suggest our lack of QUALITY new signings was not the fundemental cause of our relegation. How naive are you prepared to be? Or are you just that desperate to defend the club? Just accept they fcuked it up, and that they may be about to do it again unless they pull their finger out!

It's a lot more naive to think that throwing money at some unnamed players might have saved us. You simply have no idea if it would or not, as I've pointed out Birmingham made some decent signings and it didn;t save them. I'm sure people would have been delightd if we'd spent several million on McFadden in January - but he didn;t save Brum...
It's superficial to say that if we had signed some unspecified player we would have stayed up. It's probably more realistic to suggest that if (for example) we'd rested Doyle, stuck James Henry in the team to give us some proper service from the wing and played Kitson and Lita upfront we may have scored the extra goal or two that would have made the difference.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 09 Jul 2008 16:10

Roger the Rabbit Whilst 90% of what he said was quite possibly correct it doesn't change the fact that come the final sentence it all falls apart - given that we DID sign players in January and the point had already been made that we did NOT get relegated purely becasue we didn;t sign the players Royalee thinks we should have done in January.

The point people are trying to make to you is that we didn't sign the right type of players in January, or the summer for that matter.

Relying on Jimmy Kebe to solve our right midfield problems in January was ludicrous. Signing Matejovsky was nice, but what we needed was a bit more steel and drive in the midfield to help free up our non-existent wingers to try and create something for the forwards.

This should all have been done in the summer really. We tried to sign players to fill the void in the middle of the park but failed miserably. We didn't correct that mistake in January.

We paid the price and now the vultures are circling to pick the decent flesh from our squad.

223 posts