Dave Mooney Signs

168 posts
Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: Dave Mooney is Signing

by Platypuss » 21 Aug 2008 09:29

Bennett, Sodje and Halls were also supposedly low-risk, good value signings that turned out to be complete wastes of money. How much will we have burned in wages for those three?

We'll only know if he was a good signing when he performs for us, not before.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 21 Aug 2008 09:34

The most depressing thing about our transfers in the Premiership is that both the high value and the low value signings were pretty mediocre. Even the better players we brought in (De La Cruz, Duberry, Bikey) made a limited impact on the squad.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 21 Aug 2008 09:37

Royal Lady but I won't hold my breath, and this "great bit of business" will leave an even more sour taste in my mouth if we sell off Doyle and he's his replacement.

I fear Hammonds comments were simply preparing the ground for Doyles departure.

Yesterday
Nicky Hammond this deal, which gives us five senior strikers and provides the manager with a good array of attacking options at his disposal .

If/When Doyle is sold, expect the following ;
Nicky Hammond with 5 senior strikers in the squad, we could afford to let one go and it made financial sense considering the size of the offer. The money from the sale of Doyle will be given to Steve to strengthen the squad as he sees fit

Then

Steve Coppell I've got 4 senior strikers, I am happy with what I have got

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 21 Aug 2008 09:37

i personally think we will keep 5 strikers until the January transfer window. If we do sell Doyle we would be left with 1 striker with any kind of major experience in this league, 1 with mild experience in this league, and 2 with no experience. If Doyle continues to be a sack of sh1t until Jan, then we will should sell him for probably what would a cut price compared to whats being touted today. If he regains his form, then its quite likely we will close to automatic promotion and the decision to not cash in would be justified.

If we 'don't need to sell' as Hammond keeps on w4nking on about, then we cannot lose by keeping Doyle to at least January as the strikeforce we would be left with may not prove to be anywhere near good enough.

jonboy

by jonboy » 21 Aug 2008 09:44

you must have been watching a different game to me on Saturday then.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 21 Aug 2008 10:14

Platypuss Bennett, Sodje and Halls were also supposedly low-risk, good value signings that turned out to be complete wastes of money. How much will we have burned in wages for those three?

We'll only know if he was a good signing when he performs for us, not before.

Exactly, and RL's point is pretty much spot on as well.

I won't get excited about us buying in another low risk gamble until I've seen him play. I'm not writing him off or anything like that, I just don't get excited by players I've not seen or don't have a pedigree to suggest I should be excited (even then it's sensible to reserve judgement until they've shown their hand at RFC).

I assume that this means Doyle is on his way, and that is a crying shame. Doyle has come in for a bit of stick over the last 12 months but he's always a willing workhorse for the side and in my opinion was run into the ground over the last 18 months and I respect the way he's seemingly given his all for the cause at the expense of his personal success.

My worry now is two fold. Firstly that Mooney looks a little lightweight and scrawny to be the physical target capable of holding up the ball that many of us have been calling for, and secondly, that we're seeing a total dismantling of this squad without the suitable replacement and overhaul that is needed. The paralells with '95 are just getting stronger and stronger for me.

xtreme rebel

by xtreme rebel » 21 Aug 2008 10:37

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Aug 2008 10:54

Big Ern
Royal Lady but I won't hold my breath, and this "great bit of business" will leave an even more sour taste in my mouth if we sell off Doyle and he's his replacement.

Yesterday
Nicky Hammond this deal, which gives us five senior strikers and provides the manager with a good array of attacking options at his disposal .

Nicky Hammond with 5 senior strikers in the squad, we could afford to let one go and it made financial sense considering the size of the offer. The money from the sale of Doyle will be given to Steve to strengthen the squad as he sees fit

Then

Funnily enough, I took Hammond's words to be a positive thing.

IMO it would be a bit daft for Hammond to emphasise how having five senior strikers (although I would question the use of the word 'senior' with some of them) gives the manager a good array of attacking options, if he knew that Doyle or maybe Lita was on the way out. Doing so would only increase the level of criticism when that player departed. Afterall, if increasing the number to 5 provides a 'good array of attacking options', then reducing it back to 4 suggests a poorer/weaker position.

If the intent is to let Doyle/Lita go, then surely Hammond would have been better off focusing on everything great that Mooney brings, rather than discussing the benefits of having 5 strikers.

For that reason, I'm not expecting to see any of our strikers depart before the window closes. What's more, Doyle could also be asked to help out on the right if Kebe fails to consistently provide the goods in that position.

MInd you, wouldn't be the first time the club have scored a PR own goal!

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 21 Aug 2008 11:10

He looks like a little jockey bless him.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 21 Aug 2008 11:12

RoyalBlue
Big Ern

Yesterday

Then

Funnily enough, I took Hammond's words to be a positive thing.

IMO it would be a bit daft for Hammond to emphasise how having five senior strikers (although I would question the use of the word 'senior' with some of them) gives the manager a good array of attacking options, if he knew that Doyle or maybe Lita was on the way out. Doing so would only increase the level of criticism when that player departed. Afterall, if increasing the number to 5 provides a 'good array of attacking options', then reducing it back to 4 suggests a poorer/weaker position.

If the intent is to let Doyle/Lita go, then surely Hammond would have been better off focusing on everything great that Mooney brings, rather than discussing the benefits of having 5 strikers.

For that reason, I'm not expecting to see any of our strikers depart before the window closes. What's more, Doyle could also be asked to help out on the right if Kebe fails to consistently provide the goods in that position.

MInd you, wouldn't be the first time the club have scored a PR own goal!

It wasn't long ago that they said they were more than happy with three strikers!!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Aug 2008 11:17

At last!!! Someone else who understands what I'm getting at!! As I said on another thread, I would have thought that if we had that much ambition we'd have gone all out for a left back before signing another striker.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 21 Aug 2008 11:19

Royal Lady At last!!! Someone else who understands what I'm getting at!! As I said on another thread, I would have thought that if we had that much ambition we'd have gone all out for a left back before signing another striker.

To be fair we might be going flat out for the left back.

I'm sure the club are capable of holding discussions about more than one player at a time :shock:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Aug 2008 11:24

Hmm, well they're certainly taking their time!

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 21 Aug 2008 11:26

Bill Oddie's Beard It wasn't long ago that they said they were more than happy with three strikers!!

:roll:

You seem to have ignored everything else said in that quote. Coppell said if he was left with three strikers by the end of the transfer window, he would be happy with the three strikers.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 21 Aug 2008 11:42

SpaceCruiser
Bill Oddie's Beard It wasn't long ago that they said they were more than happy with three strikers!!

:roll:

You seem to have ignored everything else said in that quote. Coppell said if he was left with three strikers by the end of the transfer window, he would be happy with the three strikers.

What's your point? I wasn't arguing with anything, I was pointing out that they said they would have been happy with three strikers, which is exactly what you just said.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 21 Aug 2008 12:00

Southbank Old Boy
Platypuss My worry now is two fold. Firstly that Mooney looks a little lightweight and scrawny to be the physical target capable of holding up the ball that many of us have been calling for, and secondly, that we're seeing a total dismantling of this squad without the suitable replacement and overhaul that is needed. The paralells with '95 are just getting stronger and stronger for me.

My worry is that we're assembling another typical Coppell squad (nothing wrong in that, per se) when it is almost a given that it will be handed to someone else next year, if not sooner. For me, this is the big unknown in our continuity planning.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Aug 2008 12:16

Good left backs are harder to find than good strikers.

On the balance of evidence available to us, Mooney looks like a signing with a lot of potential for us bought at a very reasonable price. Hence it looks like a good signing. That opinion can be revised based on actual performances for the club and is only a first impression.

There is a hell of a lot more evidence for him being a good signing than for him being a poor one. So why on earth be negative about it? Youtube clips are better than no clips, and if you look abit deeper than just ooing at the goals they can give you some intersting information.

For example Mooney has good finishing. These weren't just random highlights, but a string of goals in consecutive games. The majority were well taken, despite considerable pressure from defenders on plenty of occasions. To counter that the defending and keeping wasn't to a great standard. He showed fairly good strength and control and was capable of running with the ball and taking people on.

He also scored 4 penalties, 3 on the left 1 on the right. Most seemed fairly well placed and very calmly taken. He seemed to score mostly from through balls in the middle or attacking from the flank. There was little attacking play down the flank with crosses for him to head in. Which causes a potential worry about his heading, given our tendency towards wing play and crosses.

Thats some information from which you can make a fairly good analysis of the player.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 21 Aug 2008 12:30

Ian Royal Good left backs are harder to find than good strikers.

On the balance of evidence available to us, Mooney looks like a signing with a lot of potential for us bought at a very reasonable price. Hence it looks like a good signing. That opinion can be revised based on actual performances for the club and is only a first impression.

There is a hell of a lot more evidence for him being a good signing than for him being a poor one. So why on earth be negative about it? Youtube clips are better than no clips, and if you look abit deeper than just ooing at the goals they can give you some intersting information.

For example Mooney has good finishing. These weren't just random highlights, but a string of goals in consecutive games. The majority were well taken, despite considerable pressure from defenders on plenty of occasions. To counter that the defending and keeping wasn't to a great standard. He showed fairly good strength and control and was capable of running with the ball and taking people on.

He also scored 4 penalties, 3 on the left 1 on the right. Most seemed fairly well placed and very calmly taken. He seemed to score mostly from through balls in the middle or attacking from the flank. There was little attacking play down the flank with crosses for him to head in. Which causes a potential worry about his heading, given our tendency towards wing play and crosses.

Thats some information from which you can make a fairly good analysis of the player.

Rubbish.
Again.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 21 Aug 2008 12:43

readingbedding
Ian Royal Good left backs are harder to find than good strikers.

Rubbish.
Again.

Actually not rubbish. It is oft cited that finding a left back is hard. There are not many good left footed players out there, and finding one who is available is difficult. Clubs covet their left sided players.

RoyalBird

by RoyalBird » 21 Aug 2008 13:17

Haven't bothered to look at other people's comments, so apologised if this has been discussed already.

I find it very odd that we signed another striker, taking the total to 5. Regardless whether he was a wealth of talent or not, it sounds like that one of our strikers may be on the move. Of course I'm just speculating, but you have to wonder why we brought in another striker. If we're not selling a forward, then I would have to question why we bought him. I hope he turns out great for us, his record in Cork speaks for himself, but I'm confused behind the logic of this signing.

168 posts