Back from the QPR game

139 posts
PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the QPR game

by PlasticRoyale » 27 Oct 2008 10:34

Without Harper we don't have any decent pointer's either. Jem and Boris just don't cut it when it comes to pointing. I think Coppell has realised this with his double midfield substitutions. Bringing on an excellent sideways pointer and a fairly decent backwards pointer.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Oct 2008 10:40

PlasticRoyale Without Harper we don't have any decent pointer's either. Jem and Boris just don't cut it when it comes to pointing. I think Coppell has realised this with his double midfield substitutions. Bringing on an excellent sideways pointer and a fairly decent backwards pointer.

To be fair, a little bit of organisation and direction doesn't go a miss, especially when things aren't going quite as planned.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 27 Oct 2008 12:15

Hoop Blah I think Saturday showed up where we can miss Harper at times. He hasn't been his best this season, and Gunnarsson has played pretty well at times, but neither Gunnarsson or Karacan do quite the same job of dictating and switching play that Harper can.

With the two we had in the middle there was nobody to go and get the ball off of the centre backs and get us passing the ball, bringing the wide men and full backs into the game in good positions, and moving the oppositions midfield and defence out of position.

That's why we've seen a bit more of a return to the tactic of getting the ball into the channells for the front two to work the back four on their own more in the last two home games. We don't have anyone capable of really directing things from the middle of the park and demanding that we pass it, that just means the full backs get the ball deeper and then lob it into the channells.

Cisse is not the answer, he is too ponderous and slow. Matejovsky should play further forward than that where he can hurt the opposition more, so for me that means bringing Harper back into the side at the expense of Gunnarsson who looked shattered on Saturday.

Totally agree HB. Do you think Kebe should be dropped for a couple of games as well? I think he looked tired on Saturday too.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Oct 2008 12:55

Archie's penalty Totally agree HB. Do you think Kebe should be dropped for a couple of games as well? I think he looked tired on Saturday too.

Personally I think it shows a weakness in the squad that Kebe is in the team and there is no viable replacement ont he bench.

As I think I said last week, I'm not convinced by Kebe's little run of good form whilst the team was winning. I don't think he's quite good enough at the basics for a team at the top of this league. More worringly we still seem to be resorting to playing the likes of Long and Kelly out there if Kebe isn't firing on all cylinders. It reminds me a little too much of last season unfortunately.

Should Kebe be dropped though? It depends on who would be his replacement. As much as I'm unconvinced over Kebe's quality, do we really have another option as Coppell still doesn't seem to trust in Henry.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 27 Oct 2008 12:56

kebes been quality all season, always one of our best players this season
dont see how this view can still hold water, especially not after one bad game-where the whole team were bad.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 27 Oct 2008 13:04

brendywendy kebes been quality all season, always one of our best players this season
dont see how this view can still hold water, especially not after one bad game-where the whole team were bad.

Don't agree with that at all. I think Kebe has shown flashes of brilliance in a few games but he just isn't consistent enough for a team trying to get promotedfor me. Saturday he was easily dealt with, ditto Doncaster. His first touch first and foremost is terrible, i lose count of the amount of times he makes it easy for a full back to nick it off him where his touch has knocked it too far away from him. He seems to lack a bit of finesse and skill like Little had in terms of ability to beat players. He relies almost solely on pace, to knock it by them and run on, which is fine at times but he seems to be having trouble with the knocking it by him part, they keep blocking it!!! I actually think in fairness to him his final ball is improving, and a couple of times he put in lovely crosses only for our strikers to be nowhere near the right positions to have a go at them. I would honestly preferably like to see Kebe as our back up winger, someon we could use when legs are tiring and as a bit of a shock tactic, i think that would suit him and us down to a tee. Sadly there isn't another option in the squad to make that happen yet.

He wasn't alone Saturday, that was the worst performance S Hunt has put in all season and i must say i thought the free kick against Donny aside he was the same then. He was been excellent on the whole this season but he was truly dire on saturday. That's where Convey should be sub and come on for 15mins or so. We lack options, some down to the squad but also down to the manager and his bench selections. Far far too defensive.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 27 Oct 2008 13:05

Hoop Blah
Archie's penalty Totally agree HB. Do you think Kebe should be dropped for a couple of games as well? I think he looked tired on Saturday too.

Personally I think it shows a weakness in the squad that Kebe is in the team and there is no viable replacement ont he bench.

As I think I said last week, I'm not convinced by Kebe's little run of good form whilst the team was winning. I don't think he's quite good enough at the basics for a team at the top of this league. More worringly we still seem to be resorting to playing the likes of Long and Kelly out there if Kebe isn't firing on all cylinders. It reminds me a little too much of last season unfortunately.

Should Kebe be dropped though? It depends on who would be his replacement. As much as I'm unconvinced over Kebe's quality, do we really have another option as Coppell still doesn't seem to trust in Henry.

I think Kebe IS good enough but it would be nice to have a proper replacement for him when he goes through a period of bad form.

And Brendy I think he should be dropped not because he's a bad player but because he looked tired on Saturday and he needs to realise there are people in the squad who CAN replace him.

So give Henry a go against Burnley. Kebe would terrorise defences from off the bench remember.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 27 Oct 2008 13:07

Alan Partridge We lack options, some down to the squad but also down to the manager and his bench selections. Far far too defensive.

Definitely agree with that bit.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Oct 2008 13:11

brendywendy kebes been quality all season, always one of our best players this season

All season? Are you sure?

AP'a poat has saved me going into detail, but I just think he's a one trick pony and at times this season has just not been in the game. Without the basic technical skills he's going to struggle to consistently play well. I hope he proves me wrong though, but I don't think he has yet.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 27 Oct 2008 13:16

IMO hes been our best outlet, and most creative player in most of our home games
didnt produce in a couple of away games at the start, and looked quiet in a very dull performance all round on saturday.
other than that hes been ace. that said, im never going to turn down a better player to come in a and put kebe on the bench, just dont think that player is henry
and ill agree that alot of the team looked knackered on saturday, and that kebe was one of them, and was totally anonymous.

for people to start questioning whether he should be a professional footballer again after that game is a bit mental, unless you start asking the same questions of hunt, bikey etc.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 27 Oct 2008 13:18

brendywendy IMO hes been our best outlet, and most creative player in most of our home games
didnt produce in a couple of away games at the start, and looked quiet in a very dull performance all round on saturday.
other than that hes been ace. that said, im never going to turn down a better player to come in a and put kebe on the bench, just dont think that player is henry
and ill agree that alot of the team looked knackered on saturday, and that kebe was one of them, and was totally anonymous.

for people to start questioning whether he should be a professional footballer again after that game is a bit mental, unless you start asking the same questions of hunt, bikey etc.

I agree in general but surely the fact we don't trust Henry shows how weak we are in the right wing position? Why not give Henry a try in a couple of games. I still think Kebe is our best right winger though...

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Oct 2008 13:28

brendywendy IMO hes been our best outlet, and most creative player in most of our home games

I'd agree he's been the one who's looked most likely to create, the one who's involvement creates the most anticipation and excitment, but I just don't think he's actually created much.

brendywendy for people to start questioning whether he should be a professional footballer again after that game is a bit mental, unless you start asking the same questions of hunt, bikey etc.

My opinion isn't just based on Saturday, it's based on all his performances I've seen, good and bad, and the way in which I see him play. I'm not saying he shouldn't be a professional footballer, just that I think he has some serious weaknesses that I'm not sure you can afford to carry as a player in a promotion chasing side.

I still wonder what Matejovsky would be like on the right side of midfield. Perhaps his return to fitness might see him given a chance there.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 27 Oct 2008 13:31

Well no one who wants to be taken seriously would actually post that.

The most creative and best outlet in most of our home games has been S Hunt, without question. Set piece delivery, goals himself, the problem being he was wretched Saturday and poor against Doncaster. The other 3 in midfield just haven't stepped up on those days to compensate that. I'll stick with my original analysis, Kebe has shown flashes at times but consistency is a problem. Also one queston will be answered on tuesday, how does he fancy an October night in Burnley and what Kebe turns up.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 27 Oct 2008 13:42

the problem with kebe being dropped is the fact that we will loose the link and combination he has with rosenior. Together as a pairing down the right they ae doing ok but to bring in say henry, it will take at least 3-5 games to get an understanding of playing with rosenior

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Oct 2008 13:48

loyalroyal4life the problem with kebe being dropped is the fact that we will loose the link and combination he has with rosenior. Together as a pairing down the right they ae doing ok but to bring in say henry, it will take at least 3-5 games to get an understanding of playing with rosenior

So we shouldn't ever make changes to the team then?

They have linked up pretty well at times, but I don't think it's something that is exclusive to Kebe & Rosenoir. It's something for them to work on in training as well.

Another thing Rosenoir needs to work on is his crossing, it was pretty shoddy against QPR and we can't have both right sided players being incapable of getting a half decent ball into the box.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: QPR - back from the game

by Deathy » 27 Oct 2008 13:54

floyd__streete Absolutely delighted with a clean sheet and a point from a game in which we played so poorly. A big shout out to EngLOLand's right back :lol: Liam Rosenior, Jimmy Kebe and SHunt who were particularly dire today and should all be made to watch the SKY coverage of this game on continuous loop until either their eyeballs fall out or they learn how to play football, whatever comes sooner (my money is on the eyeballs falling out).

Man of the match: me, for watching 85 minutes of that crud.

Didn't think Rosenior was that bad, but Hunt and again Kebe, poor. Kebe doesn't even look like he knows what he's doing with the ball. He never seems to have any control over it.

Poor game, far to many mistakes and as soon as Shane Poxy Long came on, I left. Superboy you aint! Supershit you are.

Now we must crack that away form, or stutter our way to a hopeful play-off position.

Ashfordroyal

by Ashfordroyal » 27 Oct 2008 14:28

Anyone know whats happened to Convey?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 27 Oct 2008 14:43

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 27 Oct 2008 15:29