Coppell - Can He Save Us???

222 posts
Dorset-Knob

Re: steve coppell

by Dorset-Knob » 28 Sep 2009 19:48

Personally I regret that he ever felt the need to leave, but he'd be on a hiding to nothing if he came back! New blood with proven track record at this level and or beyond, (assuming BR is still unable to turn it around by Christmas)

We surely have more going for us than the Tangerines, or the rock and roll, don't we?

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 28 Sep 2009 19:50

Schards#2
Ian Herring I still think Jimmy Melia could do a good job. Anyone with white PVC shoes has to have something about him as a football manager.

(If he is still alive, of course.)

If you're looking for us to improve tactically, i'm not sure the last point is relevent.

Well. It's either him or Paul Calf.

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 28 Sep 2009 23:10

Coppell? oxf*rd it, I'd even take Pardew back at the moment.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 28 Sep 2009 23:19

Absolutely, categorically, not!

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 28 Sep 2009 23:20

Not now, maybe in two years.

Got to give Rodgers a chance madames et monsieurs...

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 29 Sep 2009 10:26

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Really not the man to come back and take us forward.

Would be amazingly short term to sack Rodgers, even more so to bring Coppell back.

We probably need some short term fixing to stop the leaks until Spring or when we can fix things in safety.

Venables @ Middlesborough being the kind of fix we need. He came in in December, if we applied that type of fix now then Buck won't have reached the level of hatred that Robson had reached with the Boro fans, so would have a chance to stay on afterwards.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Coppell - Can He Save Us???

by winchester_royal » 29 Sep 2009 10:50

Average manager who got lucky with the 05/06 team, and was then thoroughly found out once that team started to break up.

Royals legend, but nothing special.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 29 Sep 2009 11:05

Ideal HAHAHAHAHAHAA!!! I can only laugh at you.
You would ignore all Coppell's previous experience then?
FA Cup replay against United with Palace, unearthing the gem Ian Wright, and generally being a class act means nothing to you?

He has overachieved with every single club he has been at, except of course his tragic venture with Man C.

You profile says you are 17, if true it would explain a lot.

LOL. You complain when people devalue your opinions because where you live, and then pick on mine becuae of my age. Hipocrite....

Anyway if you look at his time at Palace it was very similar to his time here. Did well for a couple of seasons but struggled as soon as his team started to break up and was unable to arrest the slide. When he went back there for 2nd and 3rd spells this remained the case.

At Brentford he failed to achieve promotion, and at Brighton he jumped ship before he could actually achieve anything.

And he left us exactly how he found us. A team that was fighting for the play-off fringes.

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 29 Sep 2009 11:08

winchester_royal Average manager who got lucky with the 05/06 team, and was then thoroughly found out once that team started to break up.

what a lot of bull

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 29 Sep 2009 11:11

adamh4608
winchester_royal Average manager who got lucky with the 05/06 team, and was then thoroughly found out once that team started to break up.

what a lot of bull

The fact that the last 3 clubs he's managed are Brighton, Brentford and us, just serve to support my claim.

Love the guy, but he's definitely not the answer for us ATM.

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 29 Sep 2009 11:19

winchester_royal
adamh4608

what a lot of bull

The fact that the last 3 clubs he's managed are Brighton, Brentford and us, just serve to support my claim.

Love the guy, but he's definitely not the answer for us ATM.

and roger,s is better ?

coppell was one of the best Championship managers you could want,
but the thing he lack,s was Ruthlessness that would have made him a top prem boss.
given the choice i would welcome back tomorrow.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 29 Sep 2009 11:26

winchester_royal
Ideal HAHAHAHAHAHAA!!! I can only laugh at you.
You would ignore all Coppell's previous experience then?
FA Cup replay against United with Palace, unearthing the gem Ian Wright, and generally being a class act means nothing to you?

He has overachieved with every single club he has been at, except of course his tragic venture with Man C.

You profile says you are 17, if true it would explain a lot.

LOL. You complain when people devalue your opinions because where you live, and then pick on mine becuae of my age. Hipocrite....

Anyway if you look at his time at Palace it was very similar to his time here. Did well for a couple of seasons but struggled as soon as his team started to break up and was unable to arrest the slide. When he went back there for 2nd and 3rd spells this remained the case.

Actually, SC's second spell with Palace was as director of football. But in his second spell as manager, he gained promotion again. He was D of F when they got relegated. So that's two promotions, one relegation as manager and one as D of F, a Cup Final, their highest ever league placing, six seasons in the top flight and their first ever trophy win (albeit only a very minor trophy). Not bad for an average manager. And he proved he could get them promoted a second time with a new set of players. He could perhaps do that with Reading too, but we'd probably have to be ruthless and replace him as soon as we reached the top tier.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 29 Sep 2009 11:38

Spot on winchester.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 29 Sep 2009 12:07

Sadly the play-off fringe team has been replaced by a relegation struggle, ATM, jeez it really needs to turn around soon.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 29 Sep 2009 12:09

CMRoyal
Actually, SC's second spell with Palace was as director of football. But in his second spell as manager, he gained promotion again. He was D of F when they got relegated. So that's two promotions, one relegation as manager and one as D of F, a Cup Final, their highest ever league placing, six seasons in the top flight and their first ever trophy win (albeit only a very minor trophy). Not bad for an average manager. And he proved he could get them promoted a second time with a new set of players. He could perhaps do that with Reading too, but we'd probably have to be ruthless and replace him as soon as we reached the top tier.

I think you're missing my point. SC has always shown when the going get's tough, he doesn't get going. Not the man for us.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Sep 2009 12:12

i respect your right to hold contrary opinions but
oxf*rd off.

you dont get lucky for a 46 game season IMO
and then follow it up by being lucky again for the 40 game season in the top flight next year.

you may say it was the players
but i say that coppells policy of giving them the responsibility for their performances brought that out of them

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 29 Sep 2009 12:21

brendywendy

oxf*rd off.

and then follow it up by being lucky again for the 40 game season in the top flight next year.

but i say that coppells policy of giving them the responsibility for their performances brought that out of them

2 words.......Roy Keane.

Look, I'm not doubting Coppell's achievements during his time here, but in his final two years he was very poor. Not replacing Sidwell was the first mistake, then continuing to play a Oster/Harper/Gunnar/Hunt midfield when it was clearly not anywhere near good enough for the Prem, failing to invest in the squad during Jan 08, failing to arrest the failings of our attack in the second half of that season, once again failing to invest significantly in the squad last season, his never ending loyalty to his favourites, etc...

Not to mention some of the awful management that took place before 05/06, such as his obsession with players such as Newman, Hughes, and Brooker. The signings of Ferdinand, Keown, Goater and Murray. We seem to forget that before the 106 season started a large number of RFC fans were very disillusioneed with SC, and the fact that he struck gold with that team, and that there were hardly wny injuries to his key players, was IMO very lucky.

As I said before, the man will and should always be an RFC legend, but that doesn't make him a great manager, and nor does it mean he'd be a saviour now.

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 29 Sep 2009 12:25

winchester_royal
brendywendy

oxf*rd off.

spot on
2 words.......Roy Keane.

Look, I'm not doubting Coppell's achievements during his time here, but in his final two years he was very poor. Not replacing Sidwell was the first mistake, then continuing to play a Oster/Harper/Gunnar/Hunt midfield when it was clearly not anywhere near good enough for the Prem, failing to invest in the squad during Jan 08, failing to arrest the failings of our attack in the second half of that season, once again failing to invest significantly in the squad last season, his never ending loyalty to his favourites, etc...

Not to mention some of the awful management that took place before 05/06, such as his obsession with players such as Newman, Hughes, and Brooker. The signings of Ferdinand, Keown, Goater and Murray. We seem to forget that before the 106 season started a large number of RFC fans were very disillusioneed with SC, and the fact that he struck gold with that team, and that there were hardly wny injuries to his key players, was IMO very lucky.

As I said before, the man will and should always be an RFC legend, but that doesn't make him a great manager, and nor does it mean he'd be a saviour now.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 29 Sep 2009 12:26

winchester_royal Look, I'm not doubting Coppell's achievements during his time here, but

...when he did badly he was poor and when he did well, he was "very lucky". That seems to be what you are saying. I do get your point, but I think you're over-spinning it somewhat.

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 29 Sep 2009 12:26

I sometimes wonder what planet you are on!! Coppell took the team to the Premiership and moulded a record breaking team. His desmise was no fault of his own but lack of realistic support for REALISTIC funds from the Board. At least he knew what team and tactics he was going to employ aided by the excellent Kevin Dillon and wally Downes.

Unfortunately the tactics, results and motivation from Rodgers and the 'hidden' Dean Austin leave a lot to be desired!!

222 posts