Coppells parking space

1452 posts
Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Coppells parking space

by Southbank Old Boy » 16 May 2008 12:21

readingbedding How come the wheels didn't fall off at Liverpool when Shankly announced his retirement?

Because Bob Paisley took over and it was all sorted.

crossie
Hob Nob Regular

by crossie » 16 May 2008 12:27

Only one Trevor Morley 2) Check out Dillons reaction to the Steve dont leave gathering on tuesday - really good!

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/articles/2/2788

“That gathering outside the ground was unbelievable,” added Dillon. “Never in my whole life have I heard of something like that happening when a club is relegated."

8)

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 16 May 2008 12:52

Daughter managed to make the Sheffield Wednesday friendly in 1998 aged 10 months and has been a ST since she was 5 (last season excepted).

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 16 May 2008 13:36

I first went to a friendly in July 93 v Chelsea. Reading won 2-1 I think.

Next game as the Man City cup game then most home games and a couple away after that.

Attended most matches until 2002 (after Brentford) when I had to work every Saturday and found my enthusiasm waning, not attending another game til 2004(?) against Rotherham.

The Rugby League on Sky on Friday nights sucked me in and I do attend matches every now and then, but not with the passion I used to.

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 16 May 2008 14:28

Wahey, I made it into the Kronika Reading. Lovely little snippet from me.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 16 May 2008 14:40

Only one Trevor Morley 2) Check out Dillons reaction to the Steve dont leave gathering on tuesday - really good!

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/articles/2/2788

Kevin Dillon “A lot of our players have said they want him to stay and you will not find a single person in football with a bad word to say about him.

Umm... Except maybe one Fae? But maybe he won't be in football for much longer...

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

Re: COPPELL TO STAY ONE MORE YEAR.... if you believe Daily Mail

by kwik-silva » 16 May 2008 23:36

Stooper Why is anyone even reading the Daily Mail, let alone believing it?

There is something that does annoy me

Daily Mail but Sportsmail understands he will stay for one more season.

Boys and Girls, that means he's gone at the end of next season, he won't renew the contract, or do you just want him staying for this season, then he can bugger off?? :P

Only one Trevor Morley Why hasnt an announcement been made yet - they're leaving it a bit late if its going to be covered this week

They'll probably announce it at the weekend ( I hope, not sure if i can take another week )

My first game was #1 at the Madejski, against Luton Town when I was... 4... I still remember the balloons!!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 May 2008 23:43

Platypuss Daughter managed to make the Sheffield Wednesday friendly in 1998 aged 10 months and has been a ST since she was 5 (last season excepted).
sorry to trump you on that Plats

My boy was still in his mothers tum when he sat behind the dug-outs watching that 3-1 victory

(my daughter watched the 7-1 reserve team victory against Crawley several years before.....the day that Boris the Bulgarian wig signed)

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 18 May 2008 14:04

Just been passed there today, nice to see everything is still there - although a little weather beaten!

Does anyone know or have any idea when an official statement is going to be made?

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 18 May 2008 14:44

I'm not sure when it will be announced. Coppell normally takes time making decisions and I'm of the opinion there's no rush, the season isn't even entirely over yet.

On the first game issue mine was Reading 1 - 1 Grimsby in October 1996, with Trevor Morely scoring from the spot. I was quite old, 7 years old. I wasn't really brought up in a football family, but my Dad saw I was getting into it and took me to see my local team. It wasn't long before I ditched Newcastle and began following a proper football club. 12 and a half years on and we're both pretty serious fans, which is all grand. I remember a few other games at Elm Park, my mate's Dad took my friend and me to a 4-0 thrashing of Sunderland (2 Carl Asaba goals) and a late 1-0 win over Ipswich. With my Dad I remember us defeating 9 man Stockport 2-0, losing at home to Boro 1-0. I also have a programme from a Birmingham game when Forster was in their squad and I only have programmes of matches I've been to, so I must have been to that. Was also there for the Morley hat trick against Bolton when they were top of the league. I think that's my lot for Elm Park, we only really started getting into it around 2000 or so.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 May 2008 18:37

didnt the club say there would be an announcement at the end of the week?
surely today is as late as could be included in that?
why the delay? is copps playing hardball with mr mad over wages transfers?
is there an assistant coach coming in they need to sort out?
or a new manager?
are they waiting to bring it out at the same time as the ST renewals letters?
could i specualte any more wildly?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 May 2008 18:43

Did you ACTUALLY READ what Dillon said you numpty?

“He has a very supportive chairman and all this talk about Steve not being given money is rubbish.

“The money was there this season but we couldn’t find the players to fit our criteria and we thought the ones we already had here were good enough.”

Which funnily enough is why Coppell deserves nothing other than the boot as he is a loser who lacks bottle. Nice guy, not a nasty bone in his body I suspect, but ultimately not good enough to establish us or indeed any other club in the Premiership.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 May 2008 18:49

Royalee Did you ACTUALLY READ what Dillon said you numpty?

“He has a very supportive chairman and all this talk about Steve not being given money is rubbish.

“The money was there this season but we couldn’t find the players to fit our criteria and we thought the ones we already had here were good enough.”

Which funnily enough is why Coppell deserves nothing other than the boot as he is a loser who lacks bottle. Nice guy, not a nasty bone in his body I suspect, but ultimately not good enough to establish us or indeed any other club in the Premiership.

whats that got to do with what i said?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 May 2008 18:53

brendywendy why the delay? is copps playing hardball with mr mad over wages transfers?

HTH

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 May 2008 19:00

LOL

nob

why instantly pick on one in a long list of possible reasons
for the delayed announcement
then pounce on it as if ive said something truly heinous?

ive never said once that the lack of spending was anything other than coppells decision-hes said so himself a million times, i dont know why you would choose a quote from downes to back up an argument where coppells own words would surely have been better.
and unfortunately that issue is totally different from changing the wage structure

funny, i bet you werent arguinbg that coppell was so crap after 106 points anbd 8th place in the prem were you- oh silly me, you probably were

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 May 2008 19:10

brendywendy LOL

nob

ive never said once that the lack of spending was anything other than coppells decision-hes said so himself a million times, i dont know why you would choose a quote from downes to back up an argument where coppells own words would surely have been better.
and unfortunately that issue is totally different from changing the wage structure

funny, i bet you werent arguinbg that coppell was so crap after 106 points anbd 8th place in the prem were you- oh silly me, you probably were

I argued he was crap the season before when we underachieved. Fortunately he was made to make forced changes due to the contract situations of many and the fact that Norwich were stupid enough to offer £500k for his lovechild Hughes. Fair play, he got decisions right in the summer of 2005, but those are the only decisions he's got right during his 4 and a half year reign as manager, which worries me somewhat. If you take that summer away, pretty much every decision he's made has been poor...and then you add that to what happened to him at Palace and Man City and you begin to doubt his managerial expertise when it comes to 'being the only person who can take us back up and establish us in the Premiership' and all the other totally unfounded bullshit people are coming out with.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 18 May 2008 19:14

Royalee
brendywendy LOL

nob

I argued he was crap the season before when we underachieved. Fortunately he was made to make forced changes due to the contract situations of many and the fact that Norwich were stupid enough to offer £500k for his lovechild Hughes. Fair play, he got decisions right in the summer of 2005, but those are the only decisions he's got right during his 4 and a half year reign as manager, which worries me somewhat. If you take that summer away, pretty much every decision he's made has been poor...and then you add that to what happened to him at Palace and Man City and you begin to doubt his managerial expertise when it comes to 'being the only person who can take us back up and establish us in the Premiership' and all the other totally unfounded bullshit people are coming out with.

So you're saying Coppell's record at Crystal Palace undermines his credentials to manage a club like Reading and take us back up? Say that on a Crystal Palace board and wait for the response, Palace fans would be outraged.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 May 2008 19:16

I don't need to post on a Palace board to know that after the initial momentum he had there he took them down like he did with ourselves.

I couldn't give a flying f*ck if I outrage anyone, because I am correct.

Fat Leather Jacket

by Fat Leather Jacket » 18 May 2008 19:22

So Coppell is not held in high regard by Palace support then?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 May 2008 19:25

Fat Leather Jacket So Coppell is not held in high regard by Palace support then?

He is, just like he is by the morons here. Silly me, I forgot Palace were a successful club and know greatness when they see it.

1452 posts