Long - Time to go.

2027 posts
Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Long - Time to go.

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Nov 2010 12:52

Snowball
Wycombe Royal
Arsène Wenger says Theo Walcott could be a "fantastic" striker and may get a chance to take on the central role in the near future.

However, the Frenchman is cautious about bringing the 20-year-old back into the side too soon after his recovery from a knee injury sustained in the Gunners' 3-1 win over Birmingham in October.

The fact that it says "COULD BE" means he isn't now (except in Snowball's world).

Nice "own goal"...

You are getting truly DESPERATE now. Have you lost all facility to think?

"Church could be a great striker" does not imply that Church is not currently playing as a striker.

You're ridiculous.

I WATCH Arsenal, am an Arsenal Red Member, read the Arsenal site every day, take the Arseblog.

Every Arsenal fan is talking about Theo as a striker and how, while Arsene played him wide he was wasted.

But oxf*rd, don't let the facts stop you.

Read it again - he COULD be a fantastic striker and MAY get the chance to play the central role. That say that he isn't now, but may in the future. If you want to interpret that differently then fine.

No desperation, not ridiculous, just reading the words in front of me.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Nov 2010 12:52

Quick question Snowball, as you would appear not to be a Reading fan - do you go round fan sites of other clubs defending all footballers from the evils of moderately nasty words?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Nov 2010 12:53

brendywendy
Wycombe Royal
brendywendy just shut the oxf*rd up.

what on earth possesses you bunch of sadsacks to even argue with the guy if you think hes that way out there?
id quite happily read the odd stat that i think is interesting, and ignore many of the rest.
its you lots constant harping on, contradicting, whingeing, and insulting that keeps him coming back with more.
if you hadnt bothered this thread would be about 5 pages long.

Shut up!Shut up!Shut up!Shut up!Shut up!

I was at the point where it was annoying and ruining my HNA experience. But now I now I am finding that it helps my day go quicker.......if you don't like it don't open the topic as you know what it is going to contain.......

its every oxf*rd topic

you lot are a malignant cancer on the face of the board that i love

No we aren't. snowball is the one constantly spamming. He moderates his style and everything returns to normal. You simply can't ignore him, even if he's on ignore, because he posts so much. And there are so many who recognise that his postings are often massively flawed and aren't prepared to let it go that even if you have him on ignore you can't avoid seeing his posts and the arguments they spark.

Even when I did ignore him completely, I know he continued to respond to my posts that were in no way related to me and continued to throw childish insults my way. I'm perfectly prepared for there to be a truce. But he isn't and if he wants to dish it out, he's damnwell getting it back.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Nov 2010 12:59

brendywendy

its every oxf*rd topic you lot are a malignant cancer on the face of the board that i love

Brendy I tend to confine myself to a few hot topics. Currently defending Long (a very good player)
and Ian Harte a great player who is IMO very important to RFC.

Note I am defending two of our join top scorers and before that I was defending Kebe, currently the other top scorer. Funny that.

What it is, BW, is that Snowball Baiting has become a Blood Sport. One person just admitted it.

It's about time for Ian Royal's shift. Take a good look at the process. Take a look at the first page of this thread. I was twice insulted BEFORE I CAME INTO THE THREAD. Talk about getting your retaliation in first.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Nov 2010 12:59

Ian- i honestly see way more insults directed at him than the other way.
when he does its usually in response to one from someone else.

its not spam. its relevant to the board, and each thread, and its solicited by your replies.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Nov 2010 13:00

Snowball
brendywendy

its every oxf*rd topic you lot are a malignant cancer on the face of the board that i love

Brendy I tend to confine myself to a few hot topics. Currently defending Long (a very good player)

Note I am defending two of our join top scorers and before that I was defending Kebe, currently the other top scorer. Funny that.

What it is, BW, is that Snowball Baiting has become a Blood Sport. One person just admitted it.

It's about time for Ian Royal's shift. Take a good look at the process. Take a look at the first page of this thread. I was twice insulted BEFORE I CAME INTO THE THREAD. Talk about getting your retaliation in first.

cant disagree with any of that tbf

hence why im having a go at them

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Nov 2010 13:01

brendywendy Ian- i honestly see way more insults directed at him than the other way.

its not spam. its relevant to the board, and each thread, and its solicited by your replies.

It really isn't.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Nov 2010 13:01

Stranded Quick question Snowball, as you would appear not to be a Reading fan - do you go round fan sites of other clubs defending all footballers from the evils of moderately nasty words?

How do you figure that I'm not a Reading fan? (Because I also like Arsenal, Newport, Carlisle?) Is that not ALLOWED?

I have a season ticket. I go to half-a-dozen away games a season.

I take my family to RFC games as often as I can.

I defend RFC players. Now which bit of that makes me NOT a Reading fan?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Nov 2010 13:02

I told you Ian Royal would pop up any minute, didn't I?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Nov 2010 13:05

Snowball Brendy I tend to confine myself to a few hot topics. Currently defending Long (a very good player)

You aren't defending them to me, as I have never said they should be dropped or sold. I am criticising your use of statistics and your inability to accept anyones elses viewpoint. And I will continue to criticise until either you moderate your style of posting or your opinions actually hold up.

I agree with you that Shane Long is a valuable player to this club.

I don't agree he has a good scoring record.

I don't like him in a 451 (I think you have reservations on that as well)

I think he needs a regular strike partner.

I have already complimented him by comparing his role to that of Emile Heskey.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Nov 2010 13:07

gay

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Nov 2010 13:07

Wycombe Royal

Read it again - he COULD be a fantastic striker and MAY get the chance to play the central role. That say that he isn't now, but may in the future. If you want to interpret that differently then fine.

That was 2009. How many times this season have you seen Walcott play?

Did you ever see him play at Southampton?

How many Arsenal match reports have you read this season?

You, like so many others are arguing AUTOMATICALLY so oxf*rd freaked are you that I might actually be right about something.

WALCOTT is a STRIKER who has played on the right just as Arshavin is a striker who often plays on the left. Walcott has 7 goals this season, mostly straight down the middle from 5 (4) appearances.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Nov 2010 13:09

Ian Royal
and if he wants to dish it out, he's damnwell getting it back.

Keyboard hero

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Nov 2010 13:12

Ian Royal
brendywendy Ian- i honestly see way more insults directed at him than the other way.

It really isn't.

11+ % of all my posts EVER are in this one, single thread.

Another 10% are in the other Shane Long thread

That makes about 30% of my posts in THREE threads (the third being the Ian Harte one)

At least 50% of my posts are defending players and discussing players is what a board is about.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Nov 2010 13:12

Snowball
Wycombe Royal

That was 2009. How many times this season have you seen Walcott play?

Did you ever see him play at Southampton?

How many Arsenal match reports have you read this season?

You, like so many others are arguing AUTOMATICALLY so oxf*rd-ing freaked are you that I might actually be right about something.

WALCOTT is a STRIKER who has played on the right just as Arshavin is a striker who often plays on the left. Walcott has 7 goals this season, mostly straight down the middle from 5 (4) appearances.

So this is in the same way that Kebe and McAnuff are strikers? (which they aren't by the way). Or Malouda or countless other attacking wide midfielders.

The simple fact is that Walcott does not play a central striking role regularly.

From the Arsenal website:
http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/theo-walcott
He remains a winger for now but Arsène Wenger still sees a striker in him.
Last edited by Wycombe Royal on 17 Nov 2010 13:15, edited 2 times in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Nov 2010 13:14

Snowball
Stranded Quick question Snowball, as you would appear not to be a Reading fan - do you go round fan sites of other clubs defending all footballers from the evils of moderately nasty words?

How do you figure that I'm not a Reading fan? (Because I also like Arsenal, Newport, Carlisle?) Is that not ALLOWED?

I have a season ticket. I go to half-a-dozen away games a season.

I take my family to RFC games as often as I can.

I defend RFC players. Now which bit of that makes me NOT a Reading fan?

Of course you can, and I apologise for the slight, however I would ask though whether you do as you are now on sites for Arsenal fans, Newport Fans, Carlisle Fans, fans of A.N.Other club, as discussions of the type you see on here happen on every single fan site - always have and always will.

The simple fact is with regards to Long, some fans don't rate him, some do (on this board as well as in the real world) the one concern or criticism they have is that AT THIS TIME, as our No 1 striker, they feel he is not scoring enough despite actually playing quite well most weeks. I don't care how old he is, I don't care if his peak is 4/5 years ago, in the here and now he's not scoring enough and that's a real concern for a lot of people.

Is that his fault, to an extent yes, as he has missed some very decent chances - in other ways no, as perhaps we aren't playing a system that will create the type of chance he needs.

Some have questioned his work ethic, again at times that is valid - he is probably the hardest working player on the pitch, it doesn't mean he can't be lazy at times and sadly for him it will be magnified more as it is more noticeable when he does shirk (however rare that may be) so it will get picked up - regardless of your actual view of the player.

I don't think anybody will ever claim that Long is always crap but I can also understand the frustration of fans that perhaps, just perhaps his continued is holding us back as the goals aren't coming from him right now (as long as they come from someone, I'm happy)

You've surmised yourself on occasion that losing Glyfi has been of benefit to the club - yes we lost a great player but it's allowed others to step up or come in - isn't also a fair suggestion for someone to make that letting Long go, could be of benefit to the team overall? Admittedly some could choose their words better but it's a football forum where people often post whilst het up about a result and don't censor themselves.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Nov 2010 13:20

Wycombe Royal
Snowball Brendy I tend to confine myself to a few hot topics. Currently defending Long (a very good player)

You aren't defending them to me, as I have never said they should be dropped or sold. I am criticising your use of statistics and your inability to accept anyones elses viewpoint. And I will continue to criticise until either you moderate your style of posting or your opinions actually hold up.

I agree with you that Shane Long is a valuable player to this club. // I don't agree he has a good scoring record. // I don't like him in a 451 (I think you have reservations on that as well)

I think he needs a regular strike partner.// I have already complimented him by comparing his role to that of Emile Heskey.

And others have called him (pejoratively) (a poor man's Emile Heskey)

I'm defending Shane Long's abilities, NOT overestimating them. I object, and will always object to a player being unfairly criticised. Example, when did it suddenly become an issue that players were scoring lots of penalties? Did we say SHunt was crap because he scored loads of penalties? Long's penalty percentage is about the same as Doyle's (4/33 compared with Doyle's 5/55 or Kitson's 6/56)... No, it was brought up because IT WAS A WEAPON TO BASH LONG WITH. It ignores the fact that his last 22 goals were 19 from open play and 3 penalties or that Gylfi (the God) had 8 penalties (one missed) and 3 direct free kicks scored, that's 10 of 22 goals not open play, a much higher percentage than Long's 3/22.

But hell, no. Gylfi's figures were inflated because he took the pens and frees, but he's not being attacked.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Nov 2010 13:27

Wycombe Royal

The simple fact is that Walcott does not play a central striking role regularly.

From the Arsenal website:
http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/theo-walcott
He remains a winger for now but Arsène Wenger still sees a striker in him.

You're not an Arsenal fan, clearly, and clearly haven't watched Theo this year.

I know what the Arsenal site says (under STRIKER, not MIDFIELDER) but I know
where his future lies, where and how his goals are coming from now, and what most
Arsenal fans see him as.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Nov 2010 13:29

Snowball And others have called him (pejoratively) (a poor man's Emile Heskey)

I'm defending Shane Long's abilities, NOT overestimating them. I object, and will always object to a player being unfairly criticised. Example, when did it suddenly become an issue that players were scoring lots of penalties? Did we say SHunt was crap because he scored loads of penalties? Long's penalty percentage is about the same as Doyle's (4/33 compared with Doyle's 5/55 or Kitson's 6/56)... No, it was brought up because IT WAS A WEAPON TO BASH LONG WITH. It ignores the fact that his last 22 goals were 19 from open play and 3 penalties or that Gylfi (the God) had 8 penalties (one missed) and 3 direct free kicks scored, that's 10 of 22 goals not open play, a much higher percentage than Long's 3/22.

But hell, no. Gylfi's figures were inflated because he took the pens and frees, but he's not being attacked.

A poor mans Emile Heskey will do fine, he is dan good at what he does, you just wouldn't want to rely on him to score regularly.

And in my opinion you are over-estimating his abilities, especially his goal scoring and you won't find many on here who will disagree with me. As for the penalties, lots of players goalscoring records get criticised for including a lot of penalties at all clubs. But the reason why it is being targetted at Shane is becuase this season 75% of his goals are penalties in 16 matches for us. Here an now is what matters to many, not what has been done in the past or what will be done in the future, but now. And at the moment those are his stats. No manipulation. No selectiveness. No distorting. Just a simple, bare, fact.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Nov 2010 13:31

Wycombe Royal

So this is in the same way that Kebe and McAnuff are strikers? (which they aren't by the way). Or Malouda or countless other attacking wide midfielders.

Kebe is listed by the site as a MIDFIELDER.

McAnuff is listed by the site as a MIDFIELDER

Malouda is listed by the Chelsea site as a MIDFIELDER

Walcott is listed by the Arsenal site as a STRIKER

There's a clue here. Can U see it?

2027 posts