The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2024/25

8018 posts
Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2014/15

by Royal Ginger » 12 Sep 2014 23:03

AthleticoSpizz Jon Henly goes on loan to Welling

...and two seasons ago he was only one more injury away from playing in the Premier League.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 20 Sep 2014 15:54

U18's draw 2-2 at TOTT Arsenal

shaka's shorts

by shaka's shorts » 23 Sep 2014 09:19

I went to the u21s v Bolton at Camrose last night. It was probably the worst performance that I have seen from one of our academy teams for years. There are mitigating circumstances of course, with so many players in the first team squad and a few injuries, this team is now missing:
Henly, Lincoln, Long, Cooper, Sweeney, Tish, Kuhl, Stacey and Tanner

The actual team was:
Reading U21s: Ward; S.Kelly (Keown 61), Griffin, Hyam, Dickie; Shaughnessy (Novakovich 68), Fridjonsson, Owusu, Fosu, L.Kelly; Cardwell (Samuel 70)
Subs not used: Legg, McLennan

The most alarming thing was the poor performance of Stephen Kelly, who frankly should shine at this level. He looked ponderous, had a poor touch, failed to get forward and didn't cover the centre backs either, who were struggling for pace through the middle.

To be honest, none of the players really shone. Liam Kelly was the pick of the players playing off the striker until dropping back into centre mid for the last 20 minutes. Fridjonsson played OK and Samuel looked a threat when he came on. The back 4 really struggled and I lost count of the number of times they managed to get clear in on goal. Ward made some excellent saves to keep it down to 3.

I don't like to criticise or give low marks to individual academy players so I won't rate the players.

It is also a shame that Samuel seems to have dropped from premier league squad player to u21 league sub, particularly with all these injuries. He did look a threat and his work rate was good when he came on. He must be getting frustrated with his lack of opportunities. Murray, Norwood and maybe Mackie are cup tied tonight and Tanner is injured and he still can't get near to the first team squad. It is all a bit puzzling to me

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 23 Sep 2014 10:17

Thanks for the report, even if not overly positive. Looking at the line up it doesn't surprise me we struggled though. How did Novakovich do?

shaka's shorts

by shaka's shorts » 23 Sep 2014 10:40

Novakovic came on after the game was lost, but the last 15 mins when he was playing behind Samuel was our most positive period of the game. He did OK, considering he is so young. A big lad and some decent touches, but not enough time to make a mark

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 23 Sep 2014 10:58

Cheers, scoring for fun in the U18's atm so hopefully a good prospect. Given that the best of our U21 crop are with first team atm I think it will be more interesting following the 18's this season...at least until Kuhl, Tanner et al get shunted back down when the injured players come back.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Sep 2014 13:56

shaka's shorts It is also a shame that Samuel seems to have dropped from premier league squad player to u21 league sub, particularly with all these injuries.

He was never the standard of a Premier League squad player though.

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 23 Sep 2014 13:59

winchester_royal Cheers, scoring for fun in the U18's atm so hopefully a good prospect. Given that the best of our U21 crop are with first team atm I think it will be more interesting following the 18's this season...at least until Kuhl, Tanner et al get shunted back down when the injured players come back.

Would prefer him to go out on loan than back in with the U21's. He's been pushed in the deep end with games in the Championship this season and hasn't looked out of place for the majority, with some moments of real quality as well. Give him half a season at League 1 with a decent side to get some experience whilst boosting his confidence and I reckon he would benefit alot more.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Sep 2014 16:14

shaka's shorts I went to the u21s v Bolton at Camrose last night. It was probably the worst performance that I have seen from one of our academy teams for years. There are mitigating circumstances of course, with so many players in the first team squad and a few injuries, this team is now missing:
Henly, Lincoln, Long, Cooper, Sweeney, Tish, Kuhl, Stacey and Tanner

Keown is also still recovering (although he scored), and Ryan Edwards is still eligible, as is Obita. Understand why nobody would count a guaranteed starter as an U21 player, but what a great team you could make of those players:

Lincoln
Keown, Sweeney, Cooper, Obita
Kuhl, Tshibola
Stacey, Tanner, Edwards
(striker)

I guess the striking option would have to be Josh Barrett, who seems to be injured, or you could bring in Husin or Sheppard, switch to 4-5-1 and move Tanner or Stacey up front.
GH Royal
winchester_royal Cheers, scoring for fun in the U18's atm so hopefully a good prospect. Given that the best of our U21 crop are with first team atm I think it will be more interesting following the 18's this season...at least until Kuhl, Tanner et al get shunted back down when the injured players come back.

Would prefer him to go out on loan than back in with the U21's. He's been pushed in the deep end with games in the Championship this season and hasn't looked out of place for the majority, with some moments of real quality as well. Give him half a season at League 1 with a decent side to get some experience whilst boosting his confidence and I reckon he would benefit alot more.

This is about Kuhl, right?

The concern if you send him on loan is that he won't be used properly. We've been burned in recent years by teams misusing our young players. I'd rather see him build an understanding with his future team mates, particularly Tshibola and Tanner, and train the way we want him to train.

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 24 Sep 2014 09:42

Yes it was about Kuhl apologies for not being more specific, I understand the risks and think there is risks with both options. You dont want him to regress by putting him back with the U21's or lose any physicality to his game, but obviously you dont want him to be just sat on a bench or being trained in a way we dont want him to be. That's why I think a 6 month loan would be best, for the experience of being with new team mates and surroundings, playing alongside and against men and not youngsters, and just generally getting him some more appearances in the football league.

I feel Kuhl is ahead of Tshibola and Tanner in the fact his game and playing style is so much more mature for his age, they are both good players with bright futures don't get me wrong, but I think once all of our injured players are back Kuhl is alot closer to making the jump into the first team squad whereas those two you'd imagine will just go back to the U21's.

Loans are not a bad way to improve a player, see Pearce, Obita, McCarthy, Gylfi to name a few off the top of my head.. Could include Hector in that aswell

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 27 Sep 2014 17:59

U18's get beat 4-0 by West Ham.

U16's beat West Ham 4-0.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 29 Sep 2014 19:31

Presume Stephen Kelly is injured again. Not in the U21s 16 man squad at Ewood Park tonight. Interesting to see Samuel is starting alongside Cardwell in what looks like a 4-4-2.

Had to get the line ups from Blackburn twitter (having googled - don't use twitter myself) as the Reading twitter didn't have them despite saying they would :roll:

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 29 Sep 2014 19:46

KC Royal Presume Stephen Kelly is injured again. Not in the U21s 16 man squad at Ewood Park tonight. Interesting to see Samuel is starting alongside Cardwell in what looks like a 4-4-2.

Had to get the line ups from Blackburn twitter (having googled - don't use twitter myself) as the Reading twitter didn't have them despite saying they would :roll:

line-ups were on the Reading website hours ago.
http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article ... 78041.aspx?

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 29 Sep 2014 19:51

Cheers :oops:

HT 1-0 goal coming in stoppage-time from Samuel.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 29 Sep 2014 20:55

FT 1-0 :)

mambo3

by mambo3 » 29 Sep 2014 21:33

KC Royal FT 1-0 :)

I've just read the Blackburn twitter report on the Game

Strange Reading are keeping quiet about certain individuals and Blackburn are hinting they are half decent.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 30 Sep 2014 11:30

Don't really get that sense from their report, who are you referring to?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 19 Oct 2014 18:06

Results since the last post:

The U21s drew 3-3 with Middlesborough. A bit of an unconventional setup, with Dickie, Hyam, Keown and Sweeney all playing. Dickie at right back, Griffin left back, Keown and Hyam in the middle, and Sweeney partnering a returning Tshibola in midfield. Liam Kelly behind Samuel with Fosu and Owusu on the wings. Griffin, Fosu and Samuel scored for us. Novakovich came off the bench. We should have won but we got caught out on the counter attack twice, with Griffin being lucky to stay on the pitch. Tshibola only played an hour but Keown played the whole match.

The U18s lost 4-2 to West Brom and 3-0 to Southampton. Jake Sheppard is back from injury and looking very good. Cardwell had a goal disallowed against Southampton.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 20 Oct 2014 17:01

U16's beat Southampton 4-3.

All a bit of a mixed bag atm. Will be interesting to see how this lot are shaping up come Youth Cup time.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 20 Oct 2014 17:22

winchester_royal U16's beat Southampton 4-3.

All a bit of a mixed bag atm. Will be interesting to see how this lot are shaping up come Youth Cup time.

I think "mixed bag" is generous, except perhaps for the U16s. The U18s and U21s are getting terrible results. The U18s have 5 points from 9 matches and will be bottom of the South Group if Norwich win their game in hand. The U21s are doing a bit better, 7 points from 6 matches, and will presumably benefit from having a full contingent available again (except Obita and Cooper).

Hopefully performances and results just aren't matching up yet. The U18s have had some trouble with injuries and with Cardwell being needed in the U21s but they haven't been affected nearly as badly as the U21s. I've not seen much of most of them and I haven't really seen the first years at all, but I didn't expect them to struggle this badly. Looking forward to the Youth Cup but I'm not expecting a repeat of last year.

8018 posts