Mikele Leigertwood

830 posts
Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Mikele Leigertwood

by Wimb » 23 Nov 2010 11:10

brendywendy
RoyalBlue We sign Legs of Wood whilst Norwich snap up Henri Lansbury on loan! :twisted:

young, unproven player, in position we dont really need, and we have no chance of signing permenantly and couldnt afford anyway.

or

established decent championship player, at his peak,in a position we need, who we can afford, and we have a chance of signing permanantly?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

^^^ this

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Nov 2010 11:25

Lansbury would be a good short term option to fill Sigurdssons boots and play behind Long or Church and add a goal threat and a bit of quality in there instead of our set of similar forwards.

He has also played out wide where, with McAnuff firing blanks, Kebe just coming back from injury and both Antonio and Robson-Kanu lacking in quality, we could certainly do with some added options.

The short term nature of the deal would be the worry for me, but at the same time he's not going to go back and get games at Arsenal so I'd guess that if the initial month is a success there would be the chance to extend it further. If that 3 months made the difference to us being in 5th or 12th then I think it's worth the gamble as this league is so open.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 Nov 2010 11:47

id still rather concentrate on players we could buy, rather than improving other teams players for them.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 23 Nov 2010 11:53

brendywendy id still rather concentrate on players we could buy, rather than improving other teams players for them.

Has someone hacked your HNA? account? You are starting to sound increasingly rational and sensible :shock: :lol:

Will you please cease from talking sense as there is no place for this sort of thing on the team board

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 23 Nov 2010 11:58

Absolute joke of a loan signing - we bring in a defensive midfielder who's very average when we're short of firepower. Even more of a slap in the face when you consider Norwich loaned Henri Lansbury (would probably have been the perfect replacement for Sigurdsson's creativity) on the same day.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Nov 2010 12:02

brendywendy id still rather concentrate on players we could buy, rather than improving other teams players for them.

I agree in theory, but in practise there seems to be very few quality players we can actually afford so why not get some good'uns on the cheap to get short term rewards. If we don't we'll struggle to progress.

If we just keep our own and try to develop them we're looking likely to be bottom half of this league at best too. Every decent player we produce will be sold off after 6/12 months of good form and we'll be left with the cloggers as we are now.

Some short term injection of quality might just help us achieve something and then have a better chance of producing and keeping our better youngsters.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 23 Nov 2010 12:06

Royalee Absolute joke of a loan signing - we bring in a defensive midfielder who's very average when we're short of firepower. Even more of a slap in the face when you consider Norwich loaned Henri Lansbury (would probably have been the perfect replacement for Sigurdsson's creativity) on the same day.

Norwich have a good relationship with Arsenal, are higher up the league, and play football closer to Arsenal's style.

What makes you think they'd have given him to us over them? :?

surrounded by saints

by surrounded by saints » 23 Nov 2010 12:06

peterroyal76
Tony Le Mesmer On the whole i hate the loan system and having loan Players at the club.

any self respecting football club should be buying or creating its own talent, not scrounging other clubs cast offs.

Couldn't agree more, I regard it as a form of cheating.

absolutely spot on,i,ve been saying for years that unless you intend to buy a player that you have on loan ,then as far as i,m concerned its cheating(cardiff!!).

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 Nov 2010 12:08

Hoop Blah

I agree in theory, but in practise there seems to be very few quality players we can actually afford so why not get some good'uns on the cheap to get short term rewards. If we don't we'll struggle to progress.

If we just keep our own and try to develop them we're looking likely to be bottom half of this league at best too. Every decent player we produce will be sold off after 6/12 months of good form and we'll be left with the cloggers as we are now.

Some short term injection of quality might just help us achieve something and then have a better chance of producing and keeping our better youngsters.

if a loan signing means our own players will be sat on th ebench, or loaned out to lower leagues, id rather not bother. but i can see why you think otherwise

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 23 Nov 2010 12:10

surrounded by saints
peterroyal76
Tony Le Mesmer On the whole i hate the loan system and having loan Players at the club.

any self respecting football club should be buying or creating its own talent, not scrounging other clubs cast offs.

absolutely spot on,i,ve been saying for years that unless you intend to buy a player that you have on loan ,then as far as i,m concerned its cheating(cardiff!!).

There are genuine emergency cases where a loan player is required.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 23 Nov 2010 12:10

surrounded by saints
peterroyal76

Yup, I was absolutely gutted when we signed Matthew Upson on loan

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 23 Nov 2010 12:10

winchester_royal
Royalee Absolute joke of a loan signing - we bring in a defensive midfielder who's very average when we're short of firepower. Even more of a slap in the face when you consider Norwich loaned Henri Lansbury (would probably have been the perfect replacement for Sigurdsson's creativity) on the same day.

Norwich have a good relationship with Arsenal, are higher up the league, and play football closer to Arsenal's style.

Look at the players our academy's churned out recently, we've also taken Harper and Sidwell off of them in the past. We used to play football closer to Arsenal's style before Madejski's ego took over.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 Nov 2010 12:15

Big Foot
surrounded by saints
peterroyal76 absolutely spot on,i,ve been saying for years that unless you intend to buy a player that you have on loan ,then as far as i,m concerned its cheating(cardiff!!).

Yup, I was absolutely gutted when we signed Matthew Upson on loan

agreed- but then he left and we didnt win a game for 11 matches and slipped out of the playoff spots so......

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 Nov 2010 12:16

Royalee
winchester_royal

Look at the players our academy's churned out recently, we've also taken Harper and Sidwell off of them in the past. We used to play football closer to Arsenal's style before Madejski's ego took over.

:roll: yawn.

lol at us ever playing like arsenal do now.

specialjon

by specialjon » 23 Nov 2010 12:19

Royalee We used to play football closer to Arsenal's style before Madejski's ego took over.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

With that kind of material, you could go on tour!

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 23 Nov 2010 12:35

Terminal Boardom

Has someone hacked your HNA? account? You are starting to sound increasingly rational and sensible :shock: :lol:

Will you please cease from talking sense as there is no place for this sort of thing on the team board

Obviously run out of drugs

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 23 Nov 2010 12:55

We BOUGHT Sidwell and Harper Royalee a bit different.

Have to agree with Brenders

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 Nov 2010 13:56

PlasticRoyale
Terminal Boardom

Obviously run out of drugs

will the stigma never end!

im clean man.

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 23 Nov 2010 14:50

I understand what people are saying about the loan system being fundamentally wrong and they are entitled to their opinion but as the system is in place then why not use it to the best benefit of your Club.

Leigertwood is a decent palyer but if the aim of this season is to do all we can to get promotion then I cannot see why we wouldn't want a player like Henri Lansbury to improve the team in the short term even if there may be little chance of signing the player permanently. I agree we don't know whether we would have got him but why exclude the chance of getting a player like that just because he wouldn't become a permanent signing. Ian Holloway didn't seem to worry about having Seamus Coleman on loan from Everton for example and he played an important part in their promotion last season. Nottingham Forest have a left back on loan from Chelsea this season too who might have saved us signing two other left backs neither of whom defend as well as him.

If we are still on Brendan's three year plan and have decided we are not ready for promotion yet then I can understand why we want permanent sigings so they can bed in for next season although we do not seem to be targetting players with a great deal of potential for development.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 Nov 2010 15:51

we did it before- ended up setting us back a bit when they left us for their original club, as the players we wanted to then step up hadnt played for the last few months.

830 posts