tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Bradley Wright Phillips

by tomrfcurz » 09 Jan 2011 11:45

There's already 2 threads on the lad signing for us over in Unfounded R&G

poohs pure

by poohs pure » 09 Jan 2011 11:49

tomrfcurz There's already 2 threads on the lad signing for us over in Unfounded R&G

having just heard peter reid say Reading have agreed the fee and the lad is agreeing personal terms i think this is a bit more than a rumour and gossip.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 09 Jan 2011 11:50

gr8

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: SPECULATION - Bradley Wright Phillips

by roadrunner » 09 Jan 2011 11:57

tomrfcurz If BWP has played for Plymouth recently and could've played yesterday but RFC chose not to, that suggests there should be no problems passing a medical, does it not?

A medical isn't just about his current fitness, it reveals any underlying problems the player has and has had, tissue scaring etc. BWP has had previous knee problems, so this medical might isn't as clear cut as most.

Alan Partridge It's a bonus for Reading FC, the vultures have picked up BWP on the cheap. It's a lucky signing really, because in normal circumstances no one in their right mind would sell their top scorer for £300k.

I think it's terrific business for RFC personally. Austin would have been better but you've got no chance of RFC stumping the money up for him. This is as good as it possibly could have got.

Couldn't agree more.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 09 Jan 2011 12:03

poohs pure
tomrfcurz There's already 2 threads on the lad signing for us over in Unfounded R&G

having just heard peter reid say Reading have agreed the fee and the lad is agreeing personal terms i think this is a bit more than a rumour and gossip.

Fee was agreed Friday, the player agreed terms yesterday. The medical is taking place this weekend with the player staying over at the hotel last night. Peter Reid confirmed the deal was done and now just hinges on the medical.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MORE THAN A RUMOUR - Bradley Wright Phillips

by Royal Lady » 09 Jan 2011 12:03

Signing a striker for £300k and then saying "this is as good as it possibly could have got" just tells you everything about RFC these days tbh.

I'm not knocking the signing per se, just making the point that we wouldn't have been thinking this a few seasons ago.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 09 Jan 2011 12:06

Royal Lady Signing a striker for £300k and then saying "this is as good as it possibly could have got" just tells you everything about RFC these days tbh.

I'm not knocking the signing per se, just making the point that we wouldn't have been thinking this a few seasons ago.

Thing is though, Plymouth are financially ok then BWP doesn't go for £300k.

Reading have picked up someone that would have cost upwards of £1million for £300k.

poohs pure

by poohs pure » 09 Jan 2011 12:08

Royal Lady Signing a striker for £300k and then saying "this is as good as it possibly could have got" just tells you everything about RFC these days tbh.

think Kitson and Doyle, we got both of them for the sum total of £300k ish, added to this McDermot would have been heavily involved in the scouting of Kitson and Doyle so I am confident BWP will be a cracking signing.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 09 Jan 2011 12:10

Sir Rodger Doyle
LoyalRoyalFan Agreed. People want a new striker, then start being very picky. Wright-Phillips has pace, trickery and a decent goal record this season.

Agreed, depending on the cost.

He's no Gary Alexander though.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Jan 2011 12:12

A few seasons ago £300k would have been a massive fee for us to pay - probably a record.

As AP has said, the fee is almost meaningless here - we should be signing a player who we have got for this fee because Plymouth are broke and he's out of contract in the summer. Peter Reid has said this morning they wanted to offer him a new deal but can't due to the transfer embargo they are under - in normal circumstances he would be a seven figure signing.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

2nite

by brendywendy » 09 Jan 2011 12:13

Hes better than 300k though.sold cos theyre skint. Hes the new lita signing imo.same standard ,same sort of pedigree too.still got lots to prove,and room to improve.im happy enough. Sell church,buy austin nd id be ecstatic.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 09 Jan 2011 12:13

You're a Tory, why ditch your principles when it comes to football? ;)

We have always bought our best players cheap!

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 09 Jan 2011 12:19

is all this h8 an anti brother thing?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Jan 2011 12:23

PlasticRoyale is all this h8 an anti brother thing?

No, it's a he's not a Charlie Austin thing.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 09 Jan 2011 12:27

Stranded

i think Austin would have been quality and still will be, but end of the day it makes more sense to go for BWP. He's a good player, he's a team player, he's only 25 and he's got goals this season playing down the middle.

I think he'll be a good fit for Reading and will get more goals than Church or even Hunt if he plays regularly. As we've discussed above in normal circumstances he'd cost £1million almost certainly, Reading have signed him for £300k.

It leaves money in the bank for possibly signing Leigertwood and maybe this young lad from Scunthorpe.

To get 2-3 players in for the same price as Austin makes more sense at this time in my opinion. Maybe somewhere down the line when Reading get a few more off the wage bill, maybe they might consider selling Church (who i've heard fees of near £2million mooted - laughable) then maybe Austin could be looked at then.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Jan 2011 12:28

Alan Partridge
Stranded

i think Austin would have been quality and still will be, but end of the day it makes more sense to go for BWP. He's a good player, he's a team player, he's only 25 and he's got goals this season playing down the middle.

I think he'll be a good fit for Reading and will get more goals than Church or even Hunt if he plays regularly. As we've discussed above in normal circumstances he'd cost £1million almost certainly, Reading have signed him for £300k.

It leaves money in the bank for possibly signing Leigertwood and maybe this young lad from Scunthorpe.

To get 2-3 players in for the same price as Austin makes more sense at this time in my opinion. Maybe somewhere down the line when Reading get a few more off the wage bill, maybe they might consider selling Church (who i've heard fees of near £2million mooted - laughable) then maybe Austin could be looked at then.

Completely agree AP. It looks like we'll making good use of the funds we have available.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 09 Jan 2011 12:31

Stranded

A few seasons ago £300k would have been a massive fee for us to pay - probably a record.

Is 15/16 years a few. If I remember correctly, we paid a club record £300,000 for Bobby Mihaylov, who arrived from Botev Plovdiv (?) and then we signed Darren Caskey for about £700,000 from Tottenham Hotspur for a new club record.

But your point is valid, and as mentioned previously, it's not the cost of the player that matters; Doyle, Long, S.Hunt, Shorey, Sonko, Ingimarsson, Oster, Little. 106 Championship points backs that up.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 09 Jan 2011 12:32

roadrunner Prefer Craig Mackail-Smith or Aaron Mclean of Peterborough over Wright Philips. However, I doubt we can afford any of those three.

It might be more correct to doubt Madejski's willingness to release funds to secure those players.

Alan Partridge

Thing is though, Plymouth are financially ok then BWP doesn't go for £300k.

Reading have picked up someone that would have cost upwards of £1million for £300k.

If he was worth that much then other clubs would have been outbidding us, regardless of Plymouth's financial position.

If he does the business, and I really hope he does, then great. However, in any other walk of life, Madejski would be the first to point out that, by and large, you get what you pay for. If that wasn't true, then why does he splash out on very expensive cars, rather than going for cheaper versions?!
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 09 Jan 2011 12:37, edited 2 times in total.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 09 Jan 2011 12:34

Seems like a good bit of business to me; BWP obviously has something about him, we have clearly picked him up on the cheap, and if he can freshen up our forward line that has to be a good thing. He also fits into the old Coppell way of thinking - get someone in who has something to prove.

934 posts