Hob Nob Regular

Re: You're Reading manager for the Jan transfer window

by skipper » 05 Jan 2011 16:17

Selling Federici would be a mistake

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 06 Jan 2011 12:26

So we wait for another 100 years or so then?!! Because that's probably just about what the odds are on achieving another Coppell miracle season, let alone two in succession.

you dont need a miracle season though.
you just need one good enough. and the odds on that are actually prettty decent- pretty much every year a team goes up who hadnt spent loads of cash on it, and surprise everyone through hard work, organisation, and good management. often they end up staying up too.

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 06 Jan 2011 12:36

some sort of back up striker - I'm happy to stick with Long and Hunt as first choice, however if Long gets injured and is out for weeks we would be royally screwed.
I cant see the combo of Hunt and Church setting the league alight

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 06 Jan 2011 13:17

brendywendy
So we wait for another 100 years or so then?!! Because that's probably just about what the odds are on achieving another Coppell miracle season, let alone two in succession.

you dont need a miracle season though.
you just need one good enough. and the odds on that are actually prettty decent- pretty much every year a team goes up who hadnt spent loads of cash on it, and surprise everyone through hard work, organisation, and good management. often they end up staying up too.

I suppose this season that could be Watford,Norwich,Leeds,Swansea or Cardiff as none have spent much and Cardiff in particular may have brought in Bellamy but lost their best player,Joe Ledley.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 06 Jan 2011 16:07

skipper Selling Federici would be a mistake

No it wouldn't.

Selling Federici would free up some cash to bring in a much needed striker.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 06 Jan 2011 16:08

thats if you assume we arent getting a striker in anyway

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 06 Jan 2011 16:15

brendywendy thats if you assume we arent getting a striker in anyway

Why would a manager keep stating that he is happy with his current squad over and over again. He isn't getting the money.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 06 Jan 2011 16:21

LoyalRoyalFan

Why would a manager keep stating that he is happy with his current squad over and over again. He isn't getting the money.

pretty sure weve said this in every window for ever, and yet still manage to sign players, in each and every window.
pretty sure weve said this about specific individual players, and then gone and bought the exact same player weve just said we werent in for anyway.
you are mainly totally iggnoring the fact that many press statements are for the benefit of our players, not us fans, and it is important that current players dont feel surplus to requirments, regardless of whats going on regarding transfers
Last edited by brendywendy on 06 Jan 2011 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Jan 2011 16:22

LoyalRoyalFan

No it wouldn't.

How many goal-saving out-standing saves has Federici made this season, how many bad goals has he conceded?

It would be STARTLING, totally amazing if Hamer or Andersen could step in and immediately manage the same.

If Feds has won us a lot of points (above and beyond what is expected of a decent, average keeper) then a new, very young keeper is going to almost certainly NOT save us those goals and points. That's not their fault, it's not a criticism, it's just how it goes when players are developing.

Let's say I pick, for now an arbitrary number of ten of these saves. It might be more. How many was it at Derby? 4? 5?

To compensate for that loss we need the strikers (plus a new one but only two can play) to SCORE as many.

Personally, I cannot see it. Without any disrespect whatever to Andersen and Co I believe we would be well below half-way had Federici not been between the sticks this season. To compensate for conceding an extra ten goals (possibly 15-20) we'd have had to score that amount. We have scored 37 goals. We would need to be top scorers in the league on 47-57 if our keeper was merely average.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Jan 2011 16:25

LoyalRoyalFan

But he is. So am I. "Happy" (ish)

But would we not love to wake up and have a new 30-goal striker, a phenomenal attacking midfielder, the next Shorey at LB?

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 06 Jan 2011 16:42

Snowball
LoyalRoyalFan

No it wouldn't.

How many goal-saving out-standing saves has Federici made this season, how many bad goals has he conceded?

It would be STARTLING, totally amazing if Hamer or Andersen could step in and immediately manage the same.

If Feds has won us a lot of points (above and beyond what is expected of a decent, average keeper) then a new, very young keeper is going to almost certainly NOT save us those goals and points. That's not their fault, it's not a criticism, it's just how it goes when players are developing.

Let's say I pick, for now an arbitrary number of ten of these saves. It might be more. How many was it at Derby? 4? 5?

To compensate for that loss we need the strikers (plus a new one but only two can play) to SCORE as many.

Personally, I cannot see it. Without any disrespect whatever to Andersen and Co I believe we would be well below half-way had Federici not been between the sticks this season. To compensate for conceding an extra ten goals (possibly 15-20) we'd have had to score that amount. We have scored 37 goals. We would need to be top scorers in the league on 47-57 if our keeper was merely average.

You could say that about every goalkeeper. Just because they make a few good saves that give us an extra 5 points. Hahnemann, Whitehead, Hislop etc.

Federici has cost us points as well. Andersen could step in.

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 06 Jan 2011 17:00

I think feds is a brilliant keeper...thats all thank you

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 06 Jan 2011 17:03

super darren caskey I think feds is a brilliant keeper...thats all thank you

+1 Selling Fed would be a huge risk which could backfire on us. Andersen may be great but a few bad performances and the fans would be protesting wildly.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Jan 2011 17:23

LoyalRoyalFan

You could say that about every goalkeeper. Just because they make a few good saves that give us an extra 5 points. Hahnemann, Whitehead, Hislop etc.

Federici has cost us points as well. Andersen could step in.

I could step in.

Any or all of our lads, may (note may not WILL) one day be as good as Federici is now. It's those two words, "may" and "now" that is the problem. If it's seven games to go in the season and we can't make the playoff or go down, then play one of the kids, woopdeedoo, but getting rid of Federici as-he-is and taking such an almighty gamble would be utter, UTTER madness.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 06 Jan 2011 17:38

The problem with selling Federici is that none of the other keeprs had really been seen playing at RFC, so they would need to get used to the defenders, Feds at least had a few games against top sides in the cups, and covered for Marcus in the play-off season that Coppell presided over.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 06 Jan 2011 17:54

LoyalRoyalFan

Because we're on a decent run of form and if the manager says "I don't think our squad is good enough", which is implied if you talk too much about strengthening, it will harm morale.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Jan 2011 17:59

And assuming that one of Andersen, Hamer or McCarthy will be close to as good as Fed in their first season at this level. Which is perhaps being a little under-cautious.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 06 Jan 2011 19:10

I'd jump at the chance to trade in Federici for 1 or 2 new players.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Jan 2011 20:05

LoyalRoyalFan I'd jump at the chance to trade in Federici for 1 or 2 new players.

So would I Nasri and Bendtner please. DONE!

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 07 Jan 2011 01:22

Bendtner? You must be oxf*rd joking.

183 posts