Back from the Game - Pompey

144 posts
facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the Game - Pompey

by facaldaqui » 04 Apr 2011 16:12

That Friday Feeling
facaldaqui Watching Man City thrash Sunderland yesterday really brought it home to me how well our defence did against them.

Adam Johnson & a different system.

We'd have been slaughtered.

On Saturday's performance, yes. But I don't see why Johnson would have had any more luck getting through that day's brick wall defence than did Tevez, Wright Phillips, and Silva.

After our porosity against Portsmouth, though, I'm worried about Treacy and Hume running at us tomorrow. They are trickier than Kitson and Nugent. I rate Treacy and wouldn't mind him replacing Kebe or MacAnuff if we sell them.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 04 Apr 2011 16:16

brick wall?

If City had their shooting boots on we'd have been buried anyway. Something like a dozen shots on target and another 10 or so misses iirc. As enjoyable as it was, we rode our luck.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 04 Apr 2011 16:24

That Friday Feeling brick wall?

If City had their shooting boots on we'd have been buried anyway. Something like a dozen shots on target and another 10 or so misses iirc. As enjoyable as it was, we rode our luck.

I don't think it was a matter of shooting boots. Against Sunderland, City put together repeated slick attacks using the space afforded to them. Against us, they hardly had a chance to set a shot up properly because they kept being put off by our defence crowding them or getting a foot in. Also, contrast McCarthy with the Sunderland keeper, who was all over the place. It wasn't a fluke, either, because we did the same against Everton.

RAF Royal

by RAF Royal » 04 Apr 2011 18:52

Croydon Royal wrote :
One other thing I would say....for the first time in a few years I think we have a team that I'd back to win the play offs if we got there. Not necessarily in terms of class, but in terms of attitude and the way they battle.

And that could be absolutely crucial to us. I've said before - saw Blackpool's playoff semi-finals and final last year, and this was their strength. They weren't that good individually, but the team ethic was unbelievable. B****r - starting to get my hopes up, and it always ends in tears.

As an aside, just caught the goals on Sky - don't get much chance to see any football at the moment - showed the penalty decision once, at speed - same as ref would have seen. And it looked a cert.

144 posts